Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tom Cruise is 5'7, but they usually make him look taller with lifts or apple boxes or whatever. Ethan Hunt is not intended to be a shorter man.

Actually a surprising number of action actors are like 5'5 -> 5'9, but like they're going to put RDJ on stilts to make sure he can look Chris Helmsworth in the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
CW chat, I wanted an interdimensional hell prison so bad

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dietrich posted:

Because representation matters?

Can you name another male action figure that is canonically 5'3", in the 2nd percentile for height, and isn't like a hobbit or dwarf or something? There are plenty of short men out there that would like to see a person of their stature represented as a physical presence.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dietrich posted:

Can you name another male action figure that is canonically 5'3", in the 2nd percentile for height, and isn't like a hobbit or dwarf or something? There are plenty of short men out there that would like to see a person of their stature represented as a physical presence.

Is this really a thing? Height representation? Outside of actual little people, I mean. I'm 5'5", and I honestly don't care. I know most of Hollywood is tall, except most male stars aren't as tall as we think. But I still don't care. I just don't see "short people, but not short enough to be considered little people" to be a put upon class, and I would be counted as one of them, I guess.

Btw, I'm not trying to start poo poo, I actually want to know.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doesn't count.

Mario is canonically 4 feet tall, which would put him in the "hobbit or dwarf or something" category instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He is being played by Chris Pratt.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Doesn't count.

Mario is canonically 4 feet tall, which would put him in the "hobbit or dwarf or something" category instead.

Mario is canonically 5'1 and don't you dare besmirch his good name by grouping him in with those horrible dwarves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Is this really a thing? Height representation? Outside of actual little people, I mean. I'm 5'5", and I honestly don't care. I know most of Hollywood is tall, except most male stars aren't as tall as we think. But I still don't care. I just don't see "short people, but not short enough to be considered little people" to be a put upon class, and I would be counted as one of them, I guess.

Yes. making GBS threads on men for being 'manlets' or whatever is super common. They are not the most oppressed or anything but height ends up being tied to being weak and unattractive a looooot

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

thrawn527 posted:

As a fellow Short King I don't mind the fact that most Hollywood action stars are pretty tall, but I do think it would be a shame if one of the few notable short action heroes we have would lose that aspect of his character again.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, if height wasn't being conflated with power on a societal level, I don't think they would bother making the shorter male leads appear taller on film. They wouldn't use low angles to make people look intimidating. Like good on you for not caring, but this is pretty evidently a thing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, for sure. Think just about the extent to which films go to mask the height of actors who are below average with lifts, blocking, etc. instead of just treating the range of heights that humans can have as normal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Necrothatcher posted:

Mario is canonically 5'1 and don't you dare besmirch his good name by grouping him in with those horrible dwarves.

Even Nintendo canon seems mixed, but most put him under 5 feet!

quote:

Mario's height is an inconsistent detail over the many Super Mario games, but these titles also feature worlds of drastically different scales. Super Mario Odyssey seems to have Mario with normal humans and he's considerably shorter than them. This is consistent with Super Smash Bros. and the Mario Golf series, too.

For those that want specifics, the "life-size" Mario figure measures in at 4’ 11”, but other Mario merchandise lists his height at a shorter four-feet tall. It's safe to say that Mario clocks in at under five feet.

quote:

Mario's statistics list him as 4 feet tall and 25 kg in the Mario Brothers manual.

quote:

In Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, Mario is listed as a "light weight character" with a height of 5'1" and a weight of 55 lbs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wolverine is extremely intimidating because despite his shorter stature he's built like a fire hydrant, can only be temporarily stopped, and has six permanent knives on his person that he's not afraid to use.

Height is immediately intimidating and makes a big impact, so that's why they shoot for it. But get to know the guy and what he's capable of, and that can be scary too. Christoph Waltz is very intimidating in Inglorious Bastards and so is Tom Cruise in Collateral (but not as Jack Reacher, who is supposed to be 6'5")

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dietrich posted:

MacheteZombie posted:

Josh Hutcherson

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dietrich posted:

Can you name another male action figure that is canonically 5'3", in the 2nd percentile for height, and isn't like a hobbit or dwarf or something?

Me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wolverine is extremely intimidating because despite his shorter stature he's built like a fire hydrant, can only be temporarily stopped, and has six permanent knives on his person that he's not afraid to use.

Height is immediately intimidating and makes a big impact, so that's why they shoot for it. But get to know the guy and what he's capable of, and that can be scary too. Christoph Waltz is very intimidating in Inglorious Bastards and so is Tom Cruise in Collateral (but not as Jack Reacher, who is supposed to be 6'5")

Honestly I though Cruise did a decent job as Reacher. He might not have sold the physical presence but he certainly sold the "I will gently caress you to death and it will hurt and I will smile as I do it" attitude that Reacher conveys.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

Honestly I though Cruise did a decent job as Reacher. He might not have sold the physical presence but he certainly sold the "I will gently caress you to death and it will hurt and I will smile as I do it" attitude that Reacher conveys.

I think I watched those movies wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Everyone posted:

Well I'm just going to have to disagree, the only scene where Cruise even approaches intimidating is the "Remember, you wanted this." bar fight, and that's more because he radiates control of the situation and tells the guys exactly what is about to happen (and then gets in a very funny cheap shot on the main dude).

But Cruise is a gigawatt star, it's a lot easier to just shoot the main character looming over people than to do all the work of setting up the character with dialogue and setting. It's most of what makes NuReacher - who is played by an actor that doesn't have half of the screen presence as Cruise, but does a great job because they emphasize his hulking presence - work so well.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 30, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe Karl Urban should be Wolverine

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Canon says Wolverine is roughly 300lbs at 5'3" lmao. That's awesome. It says most of that is from adamantium weighing so much, but still.

I think any actor who is listed at or around 5'7" would be fine, so like Taron Egerton (Kingsman) or Jack O'Connell (Unbroken) would be pretty good picks imo. Daniel Radcliffe is my ideal casting though, lol, or Charlie Day.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yayan ruhian is the right height (5'2) and his breakout role was tenacious scrappy fighter who just won't stop attacking

He's old now but he would be fun in a one off scene where he's allowed to use his real speed

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

Canon says Wolverine is roughly 300lbs at 5'3" lmao. That's awesome. It says most of that is from adamantium weighing so much, but still.

I think any actor who is listed at or around 5'7" would be fine, so like Taron Egerton (Kingsman) or Jack O'Connell (Unbroken) would be pretty good picks imo. Daniel Radcliffe is my ideal casting though, lol, or Charlie Day.

Daniel Radcliffe getting a shot at it would honestly be very interesting. Same for Taylor Lautner.

If you want to give it to somebody who is on the shorter side, can actually fight, and do some crazy stunts himself Iko Uwais is 5'6 and can do the feral berserker vibe capably enough.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I'd call him more boring than bad. Having his dad's looks but none of the charm certainly doesn't help.

he reminds me of like, Clint in his early roles before loving off to Europe and dealing with Italians that kicked his head in straight on acting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I'd call him more boring than bad.

One of the few good things to come from RLM that I like to use to describe boring white male actors:
https://i.imgur.com/3AvAhGD.mp4

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Daniel Radcliffe getting a shot at it would honestly be very interesting. Same for Taylor Lautner.

The problem is, Taylor Lautner actually isn't a good actor. He got a shot when Twilight was wrapping up with Abduction by John Singleton. And, while the movie is alright, thanks to the direction and supporting cast, he's just bad. He's kind of alright at comedy, but he's piss poor at anything else.

I should say, I have never watched Scream Queens.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

I think I watched those movies wrong.

Granted that I way overstated it. Still I recall when Frankie Adams was cast in The Expanse and I think there was some pissing and moaning from book fans that she wasn't eight feet tall and three hundred pounds the way the character is apparently depicted in the books. Frankie Adams is a fairly buff 5'11" instead and most people were more than fine with that. Figure that ultimately very few people really wanted some goofy-looking CGI thing with a voice actress instead of a real person doing acting.

The guy in the Amazon series doesn't have Cruise's charisma or screen presence, but he also didn't cost Jeff Bezos $10-$15 Million an episode the way Cruise would.

Bringing this around to Wolverine I think that physical appearance is less important than acting ability. I'd much rather a 6'5" stick figure Wolverine who can act than a vat-grown clone who can't. Because there's a lot of filming tricks that can be used to alter physical appearance, but sucking at your craft is pretty obvious.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’ve decided that Mads Mikkelson should be wolverine.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Timothe Chalamet should be wolverine.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Elliot page should be wolverine

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They'll just CGI Hugh Jackman and call it a day.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BiggestBatman posted:

Elliot page should be wolverine

Having watched Hard Candy, that pick works for me.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

what about Kate Hudson

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Emily Blunt should be Wolverine

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

Honestly, I could see this working.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Alex Borestein as Wolverine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grogu should play wolverine

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

James Marsden as Wolverine.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Gatts posted:

Dominic Cooper as Wolverine

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Will Smith as Cyclops, Chris Rock as Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kill All Cops posted:

Dominic Cooper as Wolverine

Ruth Negga as Wolverine. Dominic Cooper as Cyclops.