Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Padme: So that means fossil fuel use is down 10%, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
serious answer i expect rural nova scotia and northern ontario would both be pretty solid places to head if you wanted to make a commune and avoid too many crowds in the event of actual serious collapse

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mediaphage posted:

serious answer i expect rural nova scotia and northern ontario would both be pretty solid places to head if you wanted to make a commune and avoid too many crowds in the event of actual serious collapse

I was kind of looking at the "finger lake" area of New York... regarding Nova Scotia, how hard is it to get Canadian citizenship?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

mediaphage posted:

Every time someone posts about an area being good or resilient to climate change it suffers a massive disaster in the following months. It's really funny because it just keeps happening without fail.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I was kind of looking at the "finger lake" area of New York... regarding Nova Scotia, how hard is it to get Canadian citizenship?

that depends. do you speak french as a second language and have a PhD or Masters in a "hot" field?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mediaphage posted:

OP has definitely not spent time in Northern Ontario.

Also there are no lifeboats OP.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

OP has definitely not spent time in Northern Ontario.

Also there are no lifeboats OP.

Tell me you haven't seen the shattered overgrown homesteads of past turnip farmers in the Canadian Shield without etcetcetc

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wakko posted:

do you like your air with a smoky aftertaste or no

The smoke from those eventually ends up in Europe, let alone the great lakes. You get it either way.

My fiance (still hasn't hit, I typed GF at first) and I plan to move to the Great Lakes region specifically due to climate change reasons. Half the reason I put a ring on it is that she was willing to listen and takes it seriously, plus it's not like we have a chance at getting any real estate, in our native but doomed dry California.

Although, I figure once it gets bad enough everyone else is going to get the same idea and we'll just have a refugee and displaced person crisis that will dwarf even ones created by wars. I don't know what comes after that.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

My retirement plan is dying of dysentery in a camp waiting to be let into Canada on humanitarian grounds. They weren't ever going to let us in, or maybe the US didn't want to let us out, but they took the paperwork anyway.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Mar 30, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Spergin Morlock posted:

that depends. do you speak french as a second language and have a PhD or Masters in a "hot" field?

Nah, I can sort of read French but I can't speak it, and I'm pretty useless on the degree front. Finger Lakes it is.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Although, I figure once it gets bad enough everyone else is going to get the same idea and we'll just have a refugee and displaced person crisis that will dwarf even ones created by wars. I don't know what comes after that.

sea people, bronze age collapse, etc

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Great Lakes are a good option if you don't mind your cell walls sloughing off from PFAS toxicity from the loving rain

the northeast seems to fair pretty well in the next couple of decades at the very least. my hometown of Philadelphia has a deeply-ingrained inferiority complex, but that is derived from our relative economical and historical unimportance compared to our neighbors. so we might hit that sweet spot of being small enough to be neglected as a military target but large enough to still wield leverage as a regional power in the After. that's the square I'll be putting my chips on

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

How is Canada going to keep you out lol just walk on over what are we gonna do? We have like a dozen guns

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Every time someone posts about an area being good or resilient to climate change it suffers a massive disaster in the following months. It's really funny because it just keeps happening without fail.

who wants to start a weed and potato-based commune in northern maine

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IAMKOREA posted:

Padme: So that means fossil fuel use is down 10%, right?

thankfully, we have no strategic interest in reducing the global supply of energy

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Just a reminder for those still bargaining about where to ride this out -- nowhere is safe. Great Lakes Region? Sure... but you will either freeze to death, die from heatstroke in a high humidity summer, deal with torrential flooding, or get caught up in the sectarian violence that's coming (Great Lakes has huge amount of right wing whacko chuds that arent going anywhere)... oh, and yea I forgot the huge amount of pollution that lingers from when we hadn't rusted into the Rust Belt yet

in short https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIrpLBShe1A

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/01/nowhere-is-safe-say-scientists-as-extreme-heat-causes-chaos-in-us-and-canada

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm in South Florida so not being underwater is going to be a plus.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

there's at least one wiki article i found on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoured_Society_(Australia)

millionaire fruit and vegetable king us a really good username

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
Moose populations have been in serious decline lately due to brainworms (for real).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

tuyop posted:

millionaire fruit and vegetable king us a really good username

post/av

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Mar 31, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to be clear by northern ontario i mean like sudbury not like actual northern ontario. and even then only because it’s just far enough to avoid a lot of people coming and there’s a poo poo ton of lakes.

the real answer to any of these questions is wherever you can form a community because doing it alone is lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mediaphage posted:

to be clear by northern ontario i mean like sudbury not like actual northern ontario. and even then only because it’s just far enough to avoid a lot of people coming and there’s a poo poo ton of lakes.

the real answer to any of these questions is wherever you can form a community because doing it alone is lol

Noted safe place to grow food and drink lake water: within a 100km radius of Sudbury, Ontario.

quote:

As a result of the high lead emissions from the Inco Superstack, the surrounding community of Copper Cliff was found to have levels of lead in soil tests at a level sufficient to cause harm to young children.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Furious posted:

Moose populations have been in serious decline lately due to brainworms (for real).
I didn’t even know moose could use twitter :dadjoke:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
are there posting crypto rigs that need 220 outlets?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rime posted:

Noted safe place to grow food and drink lake water: within a 100km radius of Sudbury, Ontario.

i didn't say it was perfect. but it's going to be livable versus somewhere where your town burns down every summer. i don't give a poo poo either way, i'm pretty sure i'll be fine where i am in ontario or where i retire in the maritimes, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i didn't say it was perfect. but it's going to be livable versus somewhere where your town burns down every summer. i don't give a poo poo either way, i'm pretty sure i'll be fine where i am in ontario or where i retire in the maritimes, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

why wont the forests burn there too?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

why wont the forests burn there too?

not saying they won’t

it’s just less likely, especially in areas projected to get more rather than less water due to climate change.

anyway this is dumb, it’ll eventually suck everywhere

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dr. Furious posted:

If they even survive to adulthood. 5 years ago 70% of moose calves were dying from winter ticks, and I doubt that's improved after several more years of mild winters.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
the community I lived and taught in north of Slave Lake used to shut school down all October for the moose harvest. made a big pedagogical event out of it, full of cultural teachings and big community poo poo. so many moose you couldn’t do anything but share it all according to need.

the last year I was there they took in four moose.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I heard something about how it was too warm for ticks to die off so moose were just getting sucked dry

Edit: probably this thread

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mediaphage posted:

anyway this is dumb, it’ll eventually suck everywhere

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lmao can't wait to go insane from like bedbugs or whatever the world is filled with incredible horrors

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i will burn all of canada to the ground

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

so did anyone else chew on styrofoam cups as a kid? Every once in a while I remember doing that and realize why I am bad at posting

e: to be clear, I'm not saying that I went out and grabbed styrofoam cups just to chew on them. I mean more like "I was at an event with my parents, got bored after I finished eating, and bit chunks off of the cup because I was a bored 5 year old"

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Mar 31, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

tuyop posted:

the community I lived and taught in north of Slave Lake used to shut school down all October for the moose harvest. made a big pedagogical event out of it, full of cultural teachings and big community poo poo. so many moose you couldn’t do anything but share it all according to need.

the last year I was there they took in four moose.

Was that community close to the gold mine at Yellowknife? You know, the one that has enough cyanide being kept artificially frozen underground to kill everyone on Earth multiple times over

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

so did anyone else chew on styrofoam cups as a kid?

:dafuq:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

if plastic really does sterilize me than it did it's job correctly

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
seeing a big af styrofoam package and pitching my head, eyebrow rising as i rub my tummy

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

seeing a big af styrofoam package and pitching my head, eyebrow rising as i rub my tummy

see you get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Real common in my poor community in the south? You drink your sugary drink of choice at lunch and then take bites out of the cup(gum isn't free) idk. Wasn't just a few people.