Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tricky Ed posted:

Make sure to put in a new valve for the fridge water supply (because your old one is probably wearing out) and put a water hammer arrestor on it (to help keep everything working longer).

If you do tile, make sure you aren't entombing your dishwasher by making the floor too high to get it out.

Cool thanks for the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

Your costs are highly dependent on local labor costs. Do you live in rural Kentucky, or in Boston? For example.

I'd assume having that specced out around where I live would be $6k+.

e. is that 900 square feet of floor, e.g. all the walls adjacent to that, or 900 square feet of wall to paint?
Also are they just going to pressure wash those exterior frames, or are they going to actually scrape them, meaning they need scaffolding?

e2. I think regardless of your answers I'm gonna bump my guess up to $10k.

Midsize East Coast city

900 sqft of floor

Can do it on ladders, not scaffolding on the exterior. Shouldn’t need scraping since the paint is shot.

First quote was $7k, next was $4k

Two to go

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I tried bleach in my lg front loader last week or over the weekend. We've kept the door open since then, and the smell is completely gone! Thanks for the tips everyone.

Now, the shower drain in one bathroom has the same issue: stinky. Should I try bleach there too?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes

Drain cleaner might work better though. Don't miss bleach with other cleaning chemicals as the gas they produce when mixed can burn your lungs/eyes or worse

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

redreader posted:

Now, the shower drain in one bathroom has the same issue: stinky. Should I try bleach there too?

Do not mix bleach and ammonia

Just an FYI. Not that you were suggesting it, just wanted to put that out there. That's a DeWalt combo.

I recommend getting a drain snake (plastic ripcord or flexible auger style) to try and remove anything that might be hanging out just past the drain. You'll probably have to unscrew the drain from inside the tub. Put a paper towel down first so that if you drop the screw, it doesn't end up in the drain. You can also try a plunger. A word of caution if you use a plunger, it will release some disgusting evil. A clog of hair could be hanging out collecting stink. Bleach OR drano should work if given enough time to work. I prefer a mechanical method first, then chemical.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Project farm YouTube reviews and pits products against each other in a scientific way.

After watching his video on drain cleaners I switched to lye. $4 worth lasts a year or two and a tablespoon works just as good to me as a half or even full bottle of the other stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

Do not mix bleach and ammonia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmCEI086irw&t=58s

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 31, 2022

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
Since we're talking about clogged poo poo, what about for a toilet? I have those rip cord plastic guys for sink/shower drains, but that seems unlikely to help here. Plunging works when there's a clog, but doesn't seem to completely fix the issue. I'm worried about what's in there :ohdear:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

defmacro posted:

Since we're talking about clogged poo poo, what about for a toilet? I have those rip cord plastic guys for sink/shower drains, but that seems unlikely to help here. Plunging works when there's a clog, but doesn't seem to completely fix the issue. I'm worried about what's in there :ohdear:

I have one of these things, and it has worked out pretty well.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Hadlock posted:

On a scale of 1 to insane where does "I'll buy a push lawn mower because there's no maintenance besides sharpening the blades, and I need the exercise because i'm a wfh computer toucher" fall

Back yard is perfectly flat, about 30x60 and then there's a negligible strip of grass in the right of way between the street and the sidewalk maybe 100 sq ft, if that

Looks like American Lawn Mower and Scotts both make acceptable quality models for ~100usd? I'm sure there's some tradeoff between the 14", time, and effort, and the 18" model but I suspect they only offer the 14, 16 and 18" models because it's hard to have a company that just sells a single product, an 18" model

edit: I'm using mostly a shade blend of grass seed, which appears to mostly be fescues which is a bit more on the fine side, like bermuda

I do exactly this:

Pros are that it is super relaxing and when you get into the rhythm of doing it weekly it takes no time at all for the area you're talking about.

Cons are as others have mentioned, you need a backup plan if you're away for more than two consecutive mows since more than a a couple of inches of grass won't work and more than an inch is a lot of effort. Manual mowers also need flat surfaces and good straight edges as you can't keep the momentum high enough to cut cleanly otherwise.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Toaster Beef posted:

I have one of these things, and it has worked out pretty well.

Sweet thanks, I will give this a whirl.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Is there a significant recovery or energy cost difference between a 42000 btu and 50000 btu gas water heater?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 42k btu will be cheaper to run if your wife likes to take long extended scalding hot showers in the depths of winter in like, Wisconsin

If you live in Texas or Arizona I doubt there's any functional difference, particularly in the summer

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Not sure if there's another thread in GWS or something like that, but I'll try here -- my fridge is the original-to-the-house 1984 Sub-Zero that is still running. In fact, it runs entirely too well right now in the sense that it is eating shitloads of power because it won't stop running as I think the gasket is hosed (I don't get a little bit of suction when I shut and then try to re-open the door) and 30+ year old parts are non-existent. I think it may literally be costing me $150+/month alone in energy if I believe my Emporia power monitor, because there's nothing else in the kitchen that runs that often.

It has served well, I hate waste, but probably needs replacing. Also, the kitchen was remodeled and the cabinets were very much built around the refrigerator (like, maybe 0.25" of gap all around, if not less) and if Sub-Zero does anything well, they commit to the same form-factor and size for decades, so it should be 1:1.

Sub-Zeros are stupid expensive. Is there a common source / method of getting slightly used, or display models of "high-end" appliance brands? I've seen things like Wolf induction cooktops on eBay for nearly 80% off MSRP because they came out of a display. Warranty coverage is probably a thing, but seems like Sub-Zero's isn't anything fancy anymore.

Also, in the 80s, side-by-side was in vogue I guess. It's really narrow. I feel like over/under configuration is the obvious one, but every new place I've seen recently seems to do French doors as well. The original is a Sub-Zero 346, so I have all of 35" to work with width wise unless I knock out some cabinets.

I've also kinda of entertained going 100% fridge and putting a freezer elsewhere in the house, but that sounds awful in practice / kitchen workflow.

Following up on this... my local Sub-Zero dealer can't go below set pricing (not surprising) and will charge delivery + installation fees + takeaway fees for the old fridge.

So... I don't really see any difference at this point from ordering from my local authorized retailer vs. someone else on the Internet who's just going to end up freighting the thing to me anyways. Any suggestions on online-purchasing for a Sub-Zero retailer-wise? Looking at BI-36UFDID/O.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hadlock posted:

The 42k btu will be cheaper to run if your wife likes to take long extended scalding hot showers in the depths of winter in like, Wisconsin

If you live in Texas or Arizona I doubt there's any functional difference, particularly in the summer

Keep my wife's name out of your motherfucking mouth.

And Madison is a beautiful city.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

And Madison is a beautiful city.

Those coastal elites don’t know what they’re missing in the upper Midwest. I am not joking.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lawnie posted:

Those coastal elites don’t know what they’re missing in the upper Midwest. I am not joking.

Any deets on what to check out in Madison for a Chicago dude? I have only been by in passing but have not done a deep dive on the city and what it has to offer. Always looking for fun places to road trip.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Any deets on what to check out in Madison for a Chicago dude? I have only been by in passing but have not done a deep dive on the city and what it has to offer. Always looking for fun places to road trip.

I’m not sure, I also have only been through in passing. It’s a gorgeous part of the country to drive through and camp, though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Hello I live in Madison! There's a LAN thread that's pretty slow but gives good recs, I've lived here almost a year and can rec some things

Homeownership news: I drained the gross pond in my backyard last week only to have torrential rain, slow, and another day of light rain fill it right back up again cause I didn't think to punch a few holes in the bottom of the liner once I was finished :sigh: at least my friend has a portable sump pump for next time instead of using my shop vac ~10 gallons per trip to the sewer heater by my driveway...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Electroboom goes to Hawaii, checks all the outlets, attempts to access room with knife.

Spoiler: He tests every GFI outlet and pops the fuse in his multimeter on a failed GFI. Also tests the fire alarm. It does not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op-8VCIX1mU

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 1, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My relative’s new neighbor is asking for them to contribute to the bill from when said neighbor paid a tree service way too much to cut down all the limbs that crossed over the property line.

It’s nice to see my family so united on a group chat :3:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of property lines, my back privacy fence is literally on it. I have been maintaining it the entire time we have lived here and will continue to fence of Theseus it indefinitely as it is easily replaced 4x4s, 2x4s, and dog-ear boards.

We had some new neighbors move in to the house to the left which doesn’t have a fence for their yard. When I introduced myself to welcome them, they mentioned wanting to put up a fence for their dog and maybe tying into mine to take advantage of the fence line that already exists between us. I’m not opposed to it but what am I not thinking about? Ask for them to help with upkeep of the section along their property? Written/signed agreement?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We were the first to move in, and because our lot is huge our back fence runs along the property line for three rear neighbors. All three asked if they could tie into our fence and were willing to pay; I said all good, don't worry about it. I didn't want the hassle of dealing with three separate neighbors if anything happened.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
12 foot tall concrete fences make the best neighbors

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

My dream is to replace our fence with a stone wall. That will not be a cheap project.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Upgrade posted:

My dream is to replace our fence with a stone wall. That will not be a cheap project.

Might be cheaper than a new fence, tbh. Just got quoted about $110/LF for a 6' wood fence on Level ground, two gates, three different 85 foot straight runs

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

OK THREAD, DILEMMA!!

We are having a brick raised garden bed built in our yard. We asked for it to be in the range of 16-18 inches high. The masons just finished their first day of work, and it's 20 inches high. Should we ask for it to be lowered? If we do, it'd come out to 15 inches tall because I guess that's just how the bricks stack.

There's only about 3 inches of soil below the bed (that's city backyards for you).

We'll be planting a large camellia shrub in the bed (currently in an 18" container, but grow fairly shallow roots). If the soil is too deep, i'm worried about drainage and root rot. If the soil is not deep enough, I'm also worried about drainage, as well as space.

Aesthetically, we think about 16" would be perfect (though that exact height isn't possible). What's better for plant health? Slightly taller than we need? Or slightly shorter?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Upgrade posted:

OK THREAD, DILEMMA!!

We are having a brick raised garden bed built in our yard. We asked for it to be in the range of 16-18 inches high. The masons just finished their first day of work, and it's 20 inches high. Should we ask for it to be lowered? If we do, it'd come out to 15 inches tall because I guess that's just how the bricks stack.

There's only about 3 inches of soil below the bed (that's city backyards for you).

We'll be planting a large camellia shrub in the bed (currently in an 18" container, but grow fairly shallow roots). If the soil is too deep, i'm worried about drainage and root rot. If the soil is not deep enough, I'm also worried about drainage, as well as space.

Aesthetically, we think about 16" would be perfect (though that exact height isn't possible). What's better for plant health? Slightly taller than we need? Or slightly shorter?

The brick might settle some but I would be shocked if your shrub is going to die because it has +\- 2 inches of soil around it. Maybe camellia is incredibly fragile, I don’t know.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm not an expert, but if you're really worried about drainage you can add a couple inches of gravel (and maybe a weed barrier) before you put in the soil.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Is it (typically) illegal or merely trashy for my neighbor to park their extra long work truck in front of my house for days on end because they rent rooms in their house to 3 separate tenants so there are too many vehicles for them to keep in their driveway/parked along their section of curb?

I mean it’s not really impacting us in any way but it’s kind of annoying

hobbez fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 3, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hobbez posted:

Is it (typically) illegal or merely trashy for my neighbor to park their extra long work truck in front of my house for days on end because they rent rooms in their house to 3 separate tenants so there are too many vehicles for them to keep in their driveway/parked along their section of curb?

I mean it’s not really impacting us in any way but it’s kind of annoying

Unless it’s some kind of negatively impacting you (blocking sun/view, or access to something) IMO that’s a pretty lovely thing to care about.

If it is actively reducing the use of your property, it’s highly localized. You’d want to look up curb or street parking ordinances for your town/city/etc.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Depends on the locality of course, but the street in front of your house is public. So it's fair game for anyone to use it unless there are local restrictions like parking passes, restricted zones etc. You don't have an exclusive right to park your car on city property in front of your house.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Unless it’s some kind of negatively impacting you (blocking sun/view, or access to something) IMO that’s a pretty lovely thing to care about.

If it is actively reducing the use of your property, it’s highly localized. You’d want to look up curb or street parking ordinances for your town/city/etc.

That’s what I thought. I don’t think I’m going to say anything I was just wondering what is considered standard. It doesn’t really impact us, like I said.

It’s just kind of one of a few things that aren’t technically illegal but are a little annoying. They produce a lot of trash because so many people live there and it tends to find its way into my yard somehow. Random peanut butter jars and cardboard that for some reason doesn’t make its way into the bin. Guests smoking out back occasionally that wafts in through the window.

Overall they’re not intrusive but I wouldn’t say they’re my favorite neighbor

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Heard the neighbor slam his car door. Don't he realize this is respectable street

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Might be cheaper than a new fence, tbh. Just got quoted about $110/LF for a 6' wood fence on Level ground, two gates, three different 85 foot straight runs

Is that a typo? 110 a linear foot? In my area it’s like 30 for standard wood privacy fence.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

skipdogg posted:

Is that a typo? 110 a linear foot? In my area it’s like 30 for standard wood privacy fence.

$28k for three 85 foot lengths, and two gates!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shittypop: good lord

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Epitope posted:

Heard the neighbor slam his car door. Don't he realize this is respectable street

I’m not that bad I swear

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pacific northwest, babyyyyy

We export all our wood and have a terrible ratio of software developers to blue collar workers

My kitchen + 2.5 bathroom remodel is going to approach $400k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I get annoyed by our one neighbor's guests parking in front of our house (especially when it's completely open in front of the house they are actually visiting), but that's mostly because they keep tearing up the grass with their terrible parking.