Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny how people with lovely connections are indistinguishable from hackers. Ended a night of PvP with my pals with a person who killed me and then over a second after I died they got hit for >600 damage and got slept from attacks that I did that should've interrupted their attacks that killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
At first i was disappointed to see how few boss should you got in the game, but at this point i think it's probably about right

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Are there enough Walking Mausoleums in the game to dupe every Remembrance, or do I need to pick and choose?
There are a total of seven Walking Mausoleums in a playthrough, and a total of fifteen Remembrances. There's a little bit of an additional wrinkle: the two bell-less ones in Liurnia can't duplicate demigod Remembrances, of which there are seven total.

Pick and choose the ones you think are most interesting, I suppose.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

flashman posted:

What the hell happen to my game I wonder. Played for three weeks and no issues, suddenly started hiccuping and fps dropping to almost zero intermittently.

Only started happening after a restart to reset my network switch.

The shader caching pipeline apparently can just sometimes die. Might not be it, but I'd try clearing shader cache via GPU drivers and/or a full uninstall and reinstall of the game if that doesn't do it. Maybe try playing offline first to see if the stuttering is caused by networking, but I'd suspect resetting your network switch is just coincidental (or somehow triggered some bullshit - who knows).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't want use colossal weapons, so what would be a nice 2hander for the roar medallion/highland axe war cry/barbaric roar build? I'm currently using a Knight's Greatsword since it was a lucky drop and I know it's going to be a while until I can get to Liurna for the Great Mace, but are there other greathammers or greataxes I should consider? Maybe farm the Crescent Moon Axe from Stormveil?

Dark horse possibility, literally: maybe even the Nightrider Glaive? S rank strength scaling by the end, hits hard, very long compared to everything else in those categories, and yet somewhat speedy for a big weapon? Much less poise damage tho, IIRC

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't want use colossal weapons, so what would be a nice 2hander for the roar medallion/highland axe war cry/barbaric roar build? I'm currently using a Knight's Greatsword since it was a lucky drop and I know it's going to be a while until I can get to Liurna for the Great Mace, but are there other greathammers or greataxes I should consider? Maybe farm the Crescent Moon Axe from Stormveil?

Dark horse possibility, literally: maybe even the Nightrider Glaive? S rank strength scaling by the end, hits hard, very long compared to everything else in those categories, and yet somewhat speedy for a big weapon? Much less poise damage tho, IIRC

anchor

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Don't From have a B team that made Dark Souls 2? Need new game. There was only a year between 2 and Bloodborne and DS3!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 31, 2022

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Great Stars great hammer has been pretty excellent. easy to grab in Altus Plateau

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

you can just ride over and pick the mace up though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

snoremac posted:

Don't From have a B team that made Dark Souls 2? Need new game. There was only a year between 2 and Bloodborne!

IIRC from what people were saying earlier, more DS2 people worked on this game than the "A-team"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC from what people were saying earlier, more DS2 people worked on this game than the "A-team"
Oh that makes sense unfortunately.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

snoremac posted:

Don't From have a B team that made Dark Souls 2? Need new game. There was only a year between 2 and Bloodborne and DS3!

Elden Ring 2 will be made by the B-team and it will do a ton of things wrong like have Rune-memory, the return of ADP, and bring back weapon durability. Then Elden Ring 3 will come out and will be super linear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ADP was a good idea tbh

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I beat Rennala. Ashamedly, it took me a little bit to figure out the first phase of the fight. I was running around and killing clones(?) until it occurred to me that this was a Deacons of the Deep style boss, and that I should be attacking the one singing with the golden aura around it. Do that three times and the bubble cracks and she falls to the ground where you can attack her. The first phase isn't really difficult, but you've got the clones breathing fire at you and tossing globes and books, so it gets a little hectic.

The second phase is considerably harder. Dodging a lot of the magic attacks on their own isn't too hard; the most common attack she does is the one with the beams that drift towards, and you can dodge those and close the distance by moving and dodging to the side towards her. Where the fight gets dicey is when she starts throwing out the Spirit Ashes, like the dragon, the Bloodhound Knight, and the wolves. They disappear not long after, but it resulted in me running away from her, mostly with the dragon. My counter was to deploy the Godrick Knights Ash, which took the aggro off of me and interrupted some of her attacks when the one knight uses the crossbow.

It took me about three-or-four attempts, with one going south right as she had like like two hits left. The successful run was kind of clutch, because I went in for the last few hits while the dragon summon was breathing fire and Rennala was casting magic, and I only had one Godrick knight left. It probably wasn't as close as I think it was, but I was worried I was going to get hit by the flames, so it felt like I made it through the eye of the storm.

Beating the boss also gave me the 'Great Rune' trophy, which I don't get. I got the rune from Godrick, but I haven't activated it yet, so I don't know if that causes the trophy to drop at that point.

-

I warped back to Roundtable Hold, and the Two Fingers and assistant were like, "Good job! Now go find Queen Marika and become Elden Lord!", which makes it sound like I could just go and finish the game if I find Marika, but I assume there's more to it than that. Right now, I'm worried that I may have locked myself out of the Age of the Stars ending, since you hear Ranni (?) lambast you during the transition to the second phase of the Rennala fight:

quote:

"Upon my name as Ranni the Witch. Mother's rich slumber shall not be disturbed by thee. Foul trespasser. Send word far and wide. Of the last Queen of Caria, Rennala of the Full Moon."

-

I tried going to the study hall tower to the east, but I couldn't get to the top (guessing I need the item that goes in the altar by the site of grace.) I'm guessing my next stop is Caria Manor.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

maybe if From didn't have a compulsion to obfuscate everything. instead it's "more is better except when it isn't. no i won't tell you when, check the wiki"

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
ADP sucked. Having to pump a bunch of points into an otherwise useless stat in order to be able to roll effectively felt really bad imo.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dark Souls 2 was a very good game spoiled by mostly fat slow moving bosses. Its DLC is the best content FROM have produced. Granted I haven't played bloodbourne because I'm not into buying a console and occupying the tv and in turn pissing off the missus

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

. Right now, I'm worried that I may have locked myself out of the Age of the Stars ending, since you hear Ranni (?) lambast you during the transition to the second phase of the Rennala fight:

that message wasn’t personal. someone aptly described it as a glorified voicemail Ranni left to explain to any interlopers why they were about to get magicked to death

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Max Wilco posted:

I warped back to Roundtable Hold, and the Two Fingers and assistant were like, "Good job! Now go find Queen Marika and become Elden Lord!", which makes it sound like I could just go and finish the game if I find Marika, but I assume there's more to it than that. Right now, I'm worried that I may have locked myself out of the Age of the Stars ending, since you hear Ranni (?) lambast you during the transition to the second phase of the Rennala fight:

You didn't. Someone a few weeks ago in this thread used an analogy I really liked where they compared it to leaving a voice message on the phone for anyone who calls you. That's essentially what Ranni did for her crazy mom.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Max Wilco posted:

I think you'll be alright, I didn't even begin the Ranni questline until much later in the game, and she was all too willing to not even acknowledge who I was.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Goofballs posted:

Dark Souls 2 was a very good game spoiled by mostly fat slow moving bosses. Its DLC is the best content FROM have produced. Granted I haven't played bloodbourne because I'm not into buying a console and occupying the tv and in turn pissing off the missus

My relationship is healthy enough that I'm allowed to use the tv.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I liked ADP because it shoehorned me into starting DS2 as an Explorer, because they had the highest ADP, and then you'd want to pump your first several levels into ADP on top of that. So it made me start with a dagger and not enough stats to use anything else until a fair way into the beginning of the game which made me Get Good and learn how to dodge just to get the game started :kiddo:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have a soft spot for DS2 because it was my first Souls game but it's so ugly. I've been watching a bunch of Souls retrospective stuff since ER came out and that game just does not hold up visually at all, aside from a few pretty areas.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

JBP posted:

My relationship is healthy enough that I'm allowed to use the tv.

Maybe you're very fast at games. For me that's 100 hours over 3 weeks. I was trying to be amusing though. We wouldn't actually fight about it

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I love DS2 despite the graphics and ADP. I think in terms of PvP, build variety etc it's a great game. I even prefer it to DS3

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Goofballs posted:

Buy a second TV.

That'll be your Bloodborne TV

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gologle posted:

You didn't. Someone a few weeks ago in this thread used an analogy I really liked where they compared it to leaving a voice message on the phone for anyone who calls you. That's essentially what Ranni did for her crazy mom.

So when you do her quest later, does she just not say anything about you defeating Rennala?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maxy Boy posted:

ADP sucked. Having to pump a bunch of points into an otherwise useless stat in order to be able to roll effectively felt really bad imo.

it's admittedly a little funny that ER has made the same kind of mistake by having vigor be close to a required stat to level or else the game becomes like 5x harder

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

I have a soft spot for DS2 because it was my first Souls game but it's so ugly. I've been watching a bunch of Souls retrospective stuff since ER came out and that game just does not hold up visually at all, aside from a few pretty areas.

I have a soft spot for ds2 because it was my first fromsoft game and had a ton of great tools for invaders

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does it say anywhere in the game what the slander shabriri got his eyes gouged out for was? allegedly the frenzied flame first appeared in his empty sockets. I'm wondering if the 'slander' was him saying something truthful about the two fingers and their intentions or something.

It doesn't say specifically but all the nomad merchants down at the frenzied flame were "accused of heretical beliefs." shabriri was hated for the crime of slander. the nomad merchants were the one to summon the frenzied flame, which eventually appeared in shabriris eyes.

seems like shabs may have been the one to drop the dime on the merchant people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maxy Boy posted:

It's good for build variety, which DS2 was all about - your big huge heavy armor guy doesn't necessarily want to roll everywhere

I hated it at first but I like the idea now

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Late but one of the best ashes for both damage and tankiness is Oleg.
You get him from the stonesword gate at the very beginning of the game.

He's incredible.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

toasterwarrior posted:

Does the passive bonus from your offhand axe transfer to your 2H weapon?

Just checking

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish you could use ashes all the time, and several at once, and play Pokemon

A modded gimmick run for that would be fun

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

snoremac posted:

They work on two games simultaneously and the employees are fluid so I don't think it's really the same as "this is Miyazaki's chosen and the rest are the dregs"

WaltherFeng posted:

Does the passive bonus from your offhand axe transfer to your 2H weapon?

Just checking

Yeah and stuff like War Cry changing the movesets of non Warcry affected weapons seems like a bug but who knows. You also get HP back from kills if you're holding the right weapon in your offhand and if you dual wield Seals you stack their spell school bonuses while the spell scales off the seal that you cast with (R1 or L1). So you can dual wield Gravel Stone Seals and get 30% more damage to Lightning Spear or in a regular run you can have Gravel Stone in the offhand for 15% damage and then use something like Erdtree Seal in the right hand to actually cast for higher Incant scaling.

Eej fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 31, 2022

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Not having way more covenant stuff, especially PvP focused, feels like a huge missed opportunity

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's my understanding that Elden Ring was to some extent an all-hands-on-deck effort. Sekiro was developed alongside Elden Ring, with both projects starting at around the same time (perhaps Sekiro had a little bit of a head start). Elden Ring took a lot longer to develop for obvious reasons, and I think there are a lot of people from the Sekiro team in the ER credits too, so they likely switched over once Sekiro shipped. And there are people from all the other games too, including DS2.

From's next game is probably going to be the new Armored Core, which is presumably already in pre-production.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 31, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

causticBeet posted:

Not having way more covenant stuff, especially PvP focused, feels like a huge missed opportunity

How am I supposed to stop people from touching bells now

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Did I miss the reason I ended up in tornado hell with the random damage monsters after igniting the kiln of the first flame?

They definitely could have stood to explain this better. All mention of it comes from well before the actual burning, and from sources other than Melina, the one actually asking you to do it. Basically, if you talk to the finger reader in front of the Lift of Rold she is terrified you're going to unleash Destined Death. Furthermore, if you talk to the reader in the Two Fingers room, she'll further imply that the Erdtree cannot actually be killed without the power of the Rune of Death, also known as Destined Death. And the Rune can only be reached by becoming one with the fire and surviving. Melina echoes this last bit as she lights the flame but doesn't explain what it means. That's why you end up in Faram Azula as that's where the Rune of Death is hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's admittedly a little funny that ER has made the same kind of mistake by having vigor be close to a required stat to level or else the game becomes like 5x harder

eh it's a different dynamic. vigor is more valuable because stat scaling is more heavily weighted and gated by upgrade level so it makes sense to invest in defenses until later game.