Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I killed my cat today.

she was sick and it was time and she had a good life

And, if given the choice, I would kill her again. Maybe a few days earlier.

But it still sucks.

gently caress kidneys.

sorry about your cat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got my wisdom teeth out, finally, and an implant put in.

I don't get injured or have surgery often so this was a stark reminder that I'm on the wrong side of 35 and healing is gonna take forever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
My Ublock filters don't seem to reliably block out Youtube comments anymore. This annoys me.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A friend went quiet and didn't respond to messages starting a couple of weeks ago. I assumed he was just really busy or on a work or vacation trip.

Another friend shared his obituary this morning. I don't know any details but I know what it usually means when they just say someone who's only 40 years old "passed away at home."

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GWBBQ posted:

A friend went quiet and didn't respond to messages starting a couple of weeks ago. I assumed he was just really busy or on a work or vacation trip.

Another friend shared his obituary this morning. I don't know any details but I know what it usually means when they just say someone who's only 40 years old "passed away at home."

uff-da. That's rough. Be sure to take care of you and yours, there are always after-shocks with that kind of thing.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So it’s been about a year since I lost one of the two dogs that died to cancer last year (anniversary was the 14th, hooray for Valentine’s Day). A lot of people in this thread have lost loved ones and beloved pets over the past year. I don’t want to say it gets “better” but it does hurt less over time.

This may sound cliché but what helped me is getting back into weightlifting which I fell away from during the first year of the pandemic. It helped distract me from my grief until I was ready to deal with it and let me channel those feelings towards something productive. I guess I’m saying that while you shouldn’t run away from your feelings finding an outlet for them helps a lot.

Also I’m probably doing my first powerlifting meet when omicron let’s up but this isn’t really the place to brag about that aspect. I’m excited though.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somehow firefox crashed so hard that it needed to be reinstalled, meaning I lost a bunch of files. Nothing super important but it's a few hours work. ugh.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Oh it's been just an utterly ratfaced shitfucking arsehole week, it started with finding out my dog has cancer then we all got to watch russia invade Ukraine and now half of my home town is underwater.
I can't help but wonder what other loving delights 2022 has in store for us, goodness knows our fuckwit pm scummo will find a new way be completely loving useless.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know the russian invasion thing sucks, for sure, but I am heartened by both the response to it by the world, and especially the response to it by ukraine.

I hope zelenskyy survives, I really do. going from comedian to politician to frontline war hero is some movie poo poo, but he's living it. and seeing all the fighting back and coming together to push back against russia has been heartening. and if the numbers of russian losses are even half as good as the ones being reported, that's still way better than I think most people expected.

it's a poo poo situation and a lot of good people are dying, a lot of infrastructure is being destroyed, but seeing the Ukrainians stand up against what is supposedly one of the strongest nations in the world and do more than just make a dent in the bottom of their boots as they get trod over, gives me hope.

I'm mostly afraid of the nukes tbh, but hopefully someone plugs putin if it gets to that point(or ideally before)

personally, my weekend has been semi-poo poo. I had the wisdom tooth and the molar in front of it that it had fractured extracted, and that went all fine and dandy. mild but persistent pain and lots of swelling, as you do. lots of painkillers, didn't need to use most of them. but the stitches have dissolved and come out at this point, and there's still that persistent dull pain. I don't know when it will go away, but I hope it's soon, because it's REALLY annoying. it's like...a 2 or 3 out of 10, nothing crippling, but constant and pretty obvious. I hate it. ibuprofin makes it go away for the most part, but I don't want to use ibuprofin constantly every day. the surgeon said long term pain can come from root remnants or tooth fragments left behind that would eventually merge with the jawbone or extricate themselves, but I don't know how long that will take. hopefully not more than a couple more weeks, it's not unbearable but it's just super annoying and just on the other side of me being able to ignore it.

I just want to rip out all my rear teeth and get implants. my front 12 teeth(6 top/6 bottom) are all unblemished, but the molars to the canines are all hosed and I am sick of worrying about random fillings coming out, teeth fracturing, etc. gently caress it. I'll take out a loan to get implants if I gotta.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

someone cloned my debit card and bought several hundred dollars worth of crypto, and the dispute process is a huge pain in the rear end

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am getting a lot of poo poo at work these days. The most minor of mistakes are brought up into small meetings with my boss. Of course most of it is the definition of "Storm in a cup" that my boss reports upon because she does not like me and has an overall very negative attitude. I am told I am not supposed to have late or early shifts because of this. Yet the general manager says I might be offered them anyways since people are sick a lot. Which means they want to have their cake and eat it. Saying no thanks to all of that. You can keep your "post it note" culture and I will do absolute minimal and just avoid getting into trouble.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Mar 8, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have a sinus infection and it sucks, a lot. I spent a large chunk of time curled up on the floor of my shower, hoping it would do something for the sinus pressure, as nothing else was working (it helped, a bit).

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have a sinus infection and it sucks, a lot. I spent a large chunk of time curled up on the floor of my shower, hoping it would do something for the sinus pressure, as nothing else was working (it helped, a bit).

[advertiser voice] You can get Vicks Bath Salts, Equate eucalyptus "shower spray", and a related bath-bomb-for-shower at your local Walmart to enhance your steam treatment and see if that helps.
[/advertiser voice]

In other news, I finally figured out what my elusive, new food allergy is! Canola oil.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

What happened to the "why was your day good" thread? I can't find it anywhere, cant remember if it was pyf or gbs or squirreled away somewhere else entirely.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

What happened to the "why was your day good" thread? I can't find it anywhere, cant remember if it was pyf or gbs or squirreled away somewhere else entirely.

This one? (I had it in my bookmarks.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Mikl posted:

This one? (I had it in my bookmarks.)

Yeah! Thanks

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I woke up to an E-mail from my biggest, best client informing me that the new subcompany taking over us contractors is bringing with it tighter deadlines, no promise of the materials we need, and a 40 percent pay cut. The pay is less than I made on my first day eight years ago. I need to talk to this guy about this stuff and I don't even know what to say, I'm so disappointed and frustrated.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Despite all the cool news I'm getting about my future projects, I'm probably not making rent this month. Or I can make rent and not pay the other bills.

Financially I'm screwed and so stressed that I can't even take the good news and be happy with it. I've been sleeping bad, I have a headache, and every time I think of the good stuff goijg on in my life, my brain is all "oh hey, remember that currently your pay sucks, you don't have gas in your tank, and you're broke and will probably be worse when the 1st rolls around."

I can't enjoy poo poo today and I want to cry but that sucks too. I'm trying to remind myself that lots of people were living in their cars when they finally made it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's my stepdad's birthday. Mom isn't taking it well, and she has been having severe anxiety all week, I worry for her a lot. She has me and I've done my best to be there for her, but there's just no replacing him.

My new meds haven't been the world-changer that I hoped them to be. Hopefully things improve over the coming weeks, I guess.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Someone I write with whom I thought was a coo l person turned out to have some really gross ableist beliefs that I unexpectedly found out about and I got low-key worked up trying to explain to them why that was so gross and now I have to work while feeling jumpy and freaked out.

Also I was too tired to pack lunch last night so now I gotta buy one of the lovely sandwiches from the cooler.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Grocery chain is no longer delivering citing worker shortage.

As someone without a car and no friends, and has high anxiety, this loving sucks

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The brass at my workplace kramered into my department and told us a bunch of people are getting cut by the end of the academic year then left. No details about who or when

I know I'm safe, but holy poo poo I have never seen such a boneheaded management move and now my workplace is anxious and dour as poo poo

Imagine having no idea whether you have a job for an entire five months holy poo poo what an rear end in a top hat

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

What a dick! I can't imagine having to work somewhere like that, wondering if you still have a job for months. Ugh.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

The brass at my workplace kramered into my department and told us a bunch of people are getting cut by the end of the academic year then left. No details about who or when

I know I'm safe, but holy poo poo I have never seen such a boneheaded management move and now my workplace is anxious and dour as poo poo

Imagine having no idea whether you have a job for an entire five months holy poo poo what an rear end in a top hat

Many years ago I worked in a call center for hotel reservations, right when the online companies started up. December 2004 we were told our company was outsourcing all call center employee jobs to India, but asked us to stay on until at least February, because our replacements didn't have the stuff set yet. The only people getting severance were those who had been there for 5 years pre announcement, which was barely any of the managers.

The first week of December, too late to get a seasonal job, too early to not plan for the holidays and what poo poo you had to cut. I remember hanging up on a lot of customers because I didn't give a gently caress, and told all the nice ones about the outsource. Lots of people just walked out after the announcement, some waited a few days, others stayed to the bitter end of May, when everything finally closed up.

For me, poo poo day today because my 11 year old cat is not doing good. He had a bunch of dental work done a few years ago and got a lot of teeth pulled, but he's started having issues again and has an URI.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:negative:

It's fixed now but god dammit.

Also my cat is slowly dying and that's been pure torture to watch as well. gently caress today.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
One of my internet friends attempted suicide today. They took a huge amount of pills then posted about it on a shared Discord. Luckily, we knew someone who they lived with and were able to contact them and that person was able to call for help and an ambulance showed up. They were taken to the hospital, but have now gone silent.

Unfortunately, none of us know their real identity or have any way of checking on their condition, or any way to send support at all.

So a friend may or may not be dead, and we have no way of knowing until they come back... or don't.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's one of the things I am terrified of happening to me. Something happens to me, and none of my online friends ever find out; on their end I just... disappear, and they never find out why. I'm sorry you're going through this, Master Twig. I really and truly am.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Manager Hoyden posted:

Then 3 months from now when most of the staff is gone & work isn't getting done: "Whyyy can't we keep anyone?!??! Nobody wants to work WAAAAHHHHH"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Then 3 months from now when most of the staff is gone & work isn't getting done: "Whyyy can't we keep anyone?!??! Nobody wants to work WAAAAHHHHH"

This is my previous job right now (Kroger!). I saw what was coming and got out while the getting was good, but from what my friends who still work there say, the staffing issues are even worse and management is badly trying to course correct, and only making it worse!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Felt like poo poo Sunday night, but an appointment wasn't available till today at my primary. Got tested for COVID, etc.

Asked the doctor for good news when she came in with her trainee, she said, "Iiiits not COVID!!...

..But you have both strep and the flu."

I was a miserable pile of symptoms by this point and I thought I was just thinking it, but I guess I blurted out, "Oh gently caress me in the rear end!!" by the way their eyes widened.

I got my scripts and waddled out of there as fast as possible.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was going to adopt an African pygmy hedgehog from a woman who said it did not fit in with their family, and she wanted to a new home before her daughter got attached. Now all of this set off some alarm bells for me, especially when she said it only had the animal for about two weeks and the cat kept picking on it. Unfortunately it is not to be, because the woman put the wrong city as to where she is for us to meet, she's actually about 30 miles further than her rehoming as stated, and she kept insisting on meeting today or tomorrow, when I told her the soonest I could do a meet and greet with saturday. She finally agreed to saturday, but then insisted we meet only at a certain hour, even after I told her I could only meet in the evening. After dealing with this on and off for about 2 hours, she finally said meeting up would be pointless and she would try and rehome the animal to someone else.

Or maybe she was just mad that I pointed out the size tank, as in aquarium, she had listed for his home was half the size of what she was saying it was.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Minor gripe in the grand scheme of things but it's been windy (15-20 mph constant winds) for the past 15 loving days and as someone who walks everywhere I'm so loving sick of it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My sleeping issues are getting better but still not where I'd like to be. In the past 72 hours I've slept about three of them.
I'm not even anxious anymore. I just don't get tired all that often but still get wicked brain fog.

So it's not like I can be superhuman and learn new skills like I'm Doctor Strange or something. I am just a zombie that never sleeps.
An Inzombiac, you might say.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mom's had a wound on her big toe since before christmas. she's diabetic and we only caught it just in the nick of time to prevent amputation. with constant treatment, it was INCREDIBLY SLOWLY getting smaller, to the point that the wound doctor finally said a month ago to get a cast put on once a week. after 3 weeks of casts, the wound was down to a tiny hole and looking great, so the foot doctor said to put alginate padding on it and wrap it in gauze daily, and to report back in three weeks.

it has been a few days since then, and the entire area around the wound spot, about the size of a nickel, has come off and the wound is wide open again. like the entire area blistered up and separated, exposing the area to the air once more. all my enthusiasm for the day just deflated out of me when I saw it, I just had to cut all of the skin off because it was mostly detached and all it was doing at this point was trapping moisture. the wound is, overall, better than it was when we discovered it, initially the wound was so deep it was one layer separated from the bone and now it's just like a somewhat nasty blister torn open, but still, compared to what it looked like out of the cast, this is real bad and just makes me feel like three weeks of having a cast on was all for naught. I hope mom doesn't lose her toe.

about the only good thing is the other foot which also had a wound on it(mostly due to compensation irritation from offloading the first foot's wound) is almost completely healed and its wound is barely weeping at all.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Rent is going up.

Time to warm up the guillotine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just an absolute hellscape at work. when they reduced covid-time wages back down to as far as they could(I.E. down to the minimum wage of $15 an hour) like 20% of the workforce walked, and I don't blame them, why grind your body into dust working at a UPS warehouse where you don't even get benefits until a year-ish in, when you could be making that or maybe more just flipping burgers.

and despite losing a huge chunk of workers, they've increased the workload, so the remaining workforce is just crushed under the volume. and to top it off, they're really getting aggressive about going after anyone booking off work at all. despite being in every day for over a month straight, I took one day to take mom to multiple doctor's appointments and they were practically waiting for me at the door the next day I came in. well, the "grim reaper"(guy who was assigned as the person who writes people up for attendance) just happened to be walking by so he spoke to me about it.

I don't really care, I think they're probably being more aggressive towards me in particular because I've been writing up a shitload of grievances lately for supervisors and trainers doing union labor. can't wait to see what sort of check I get out of all that, some nights I've hit some dudes doing union work all drat shift for it, and I think the current grievance rate is double time, though iirc the union is pushing for triple time since it's apparently just double time doesn't stop them from having supervisors work anyways.

filing grievances don't save me from getting absolutely loving buried in boxes and my muscles screaming by the end of it every night, though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Every time I want to post something here, you post some hellscape Event Horizon poo poo and then I feel like I'm really whining at nothing.

But I'm already here so why not.

My lovely boss switched my hours to start later, so I'm still home when I should be at work. And have spent the last 30 minutes hearing my mom, who works from home, screaming everything from "gently caress" to "loving poo poo for brains" to "gently caress gently caress gently caress piece of poo poo" to "loving dildos" and the latter is kinda funny, but because her work computer is on the fritz. Trust me, I get hating work, but still.

Tomorrow boss wants her assistant to take my van in to the shop for repairs (that couldn't be done over the weekend?) and so I need to use another van, of a person who never masks up, who thinks masks don't work, but he's off all week. So we're also down staff.

And I think I might have something in my eye. Either that or the start of pinkeye. I don't get how I could have pinkeye when I have been washing and sanitizing my hands nonstop the past few years.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

And I think I might have something in my eye. Either that or the start of pinkeye. I don't get how I could have pinkeye when I have been washing and sanitizing my hands nonstop the past few years.

Covid gives me pinkeye. Just a little something to keep you catastrophizing properly. Oh, and after my third bout, I now have 2 veins in each eye that are permanently big & red, so I can't use my eyeballs to tell when the next round of covid is over.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Every time I want to post something here, you post some hellscape Event Horizon poo poo and then I feel like I'm really whining at nothing.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's nice to have a place to vent about poo poo regardless of supposed triviality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my tooth has been hurting real bad and I woke up with it aching this morning, but was fine with it because I had a dentist appointment at 8AM. Get to the office, and the receptionist is literally on the phone with my dentist who is stranded with a flat tire and so my appointment is canceled.

I got a rescheduling for tomorrow but this means I get to enjoy this pain from the hole in my tooth for another 30ish hours, yippee

got an appointment in a month with an extraction specialist to discuss total removal of all my non-frontal teeth(basically everything from the canines back) and replacement with implants, so hopefully that can happen shortly after consultation