Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So, mission three is the first boss fight of the game (against Phantom, a giant magma spider). If you're still getting a handle on the game's mechanics, it's really hard. But it's pretty much just the boss fight; there's a short fetch quest before it, but that's it.

On the contrary, right before the boss fight is the secret mission where you need to kill skulls while drowning, and that also cannot be locked-in before you blunder in and die to Phantom yet again and the game asks if you'd rather play on Easy difficulty. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
the virgin human civilization vs the chad ted faro

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

On the contrary, right before the boss fight is the secret mission where you need to kill skulls while drowning, and that also cannot be locked-in before you blunder in and die to Phantom yet again and the game asks if you'd rather play on Easy difficulty. :argh:

If it helps, you can hit the select button at any time to save your game. I believe it also saves your stats thus far for the current mission, so e.g. you can end up with a lot of extra time and damage racked up and therefore a low rank in the mission. But it would let you lock in that secret mission and then, in future attempts, you can just do the fetch quest before fighting Phantom.

The prompt to play on Easy Automatic was such a trap though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaius Marius posted:

He saved the earth

That's enough of your Quen nonsense.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
gently caress Ted Faro

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Elden Ring) there a giant guardian living jar at one point and because he’s so big you can see his insides like you see the other side of a wall cause of clipping :stare: it’s such a superfluous detail but that’s still neat that they went through the trouble of confirming something that’s mostly implicit.

Also Kirby and the Forgotten World has a glider section and offers a “do you want to go back to the the start of this section” prompt after clearing it instead of making you replay the entire stage after.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

(Elden Ring) there a giant guardian living jar at one point and because he’s so big you can see his insides like you see the other side of a wall cause of clipping :stare: it’s such a superfluous detail but that’s still neat that they went through the trouble of confirming something that’s mostly implicit.

What was it? I’m assuming it was corpses or meat slurry of some sort based upon what he says after the Radahn fight.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

If it helps, you can hit the select button at any time to save your game. I believe it also saves your stats thus far for the current mission, so e.g. you can end up with a lot of extra time and damage racked up and therefore a low rank in the mission. But it would let you lock in that secret mission and then, in future attempts, you can just do the fetch quest before fighting Phantom.

The prompt to play on Easy Automatic was such a trap though.

Well poo poo that would've been nice to know 15 years ago.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

So in most From games, the enemies you fight are either player sized or giants of men. Like, most bosses are 15 feet tall giants.

In Elden Ring there's a group of enemies that are just small guys that decided to form their own army, the Vulgar Militia. They are like 3 feet tall.

They also have unique backstab animations where the player just brutally use their size to destroy them and I love it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I love the Vulgar Militia. Silly little guys who don't know your lock-on works through smoke clouds.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

I love the Vulgar Militia. Silly little guys who don't know your lock-on works through smoke clouds.

They also go absolutely flying when you whack one. You can baseball swing them out of the air and it’s super satisfying.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

kazil posted:

So in most From games, the enemies you fight are either player sized or giants of men. Like, most bosses are 15 feet tall giants.

In Elden Ring there's a group of enemies that are just small guys that decided to form their own army, the Vulgar Militia. They are like 3 feet tall.

They also have unique backstab animations where the player just brutally use their size to destroy them and I love it.

Its the one where they get totally bullied right? Like you character kicks them down and just smashes them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kazil posted:

Are they 3 feet tall, or are they the real humans and the player is gigantic?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

The Lone Badger posted:

Are they 3 feet tall, or are they the real humans and the player is gigantic?

you play as a hobbit in a world of mostly hobbits in every From game hth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hosed up little man

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oxxidation posted:

hosed up little man

Why would you even sign a post that had no other content

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I think dark souls 3 was the first game that explained the size disparity by going “Oh Aldrich? Yeah he’s huge because he loving loves to eat dudes. Just snacks on them all day long.” Doesn’t explain why that turned him into a giant black blob of sentient goo but at least From met me halfway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first dark souls said that all humans were tiny because they were made by the furtive pygmy, the original hosed up little man

most of the humanoid enemies and most of the fancier furniture are plus-sized because civilization was made for them, not humans

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
They probably ate people tbh

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Aldrich had too much humanity from eating people. Gwyn and co are large because they were gods/demigods/giants.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW I have a mechanical question about Nioh - does upgrading a jutsu increase it's power, or does it just make it take less points to equip it? Like is the only difference between Fire Shot 1 and 2 that Fire Shot 1 takes 3 points and Fire Shot 2 takes 2 points to ready?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW I have a mechanical question about Nioh - does upgrading a jutsu increase it's power, or does it just make it take less points to equip it? Like is the only difference between Fire Shot 1 and 2 that Fire Shot 1 takes 3 points and Fire Shot 2 takes 2 points to ready?

Yeah, it just makes it "lighter" and increases the number of charges you can ready at once. The power of jutsus and ninjitsus scale off your stats.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

What was it? I’m assuming it was corpses or meat slurry of some sort based upon what he says after the Radahn fight.

It’s a giant corpse, yeah. It lines up with what Alexander was saying but I figured there was a chance he was an outlier. It sure has some hosed implications for the passive mini living jars doing little kid stuff in Jarburg!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Research says it's from Dark Souls 3 (Bloodborne actually) onwards that From Soft made every enemy Hueg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1hv2s56nQ

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There's some implicit indications that size directly correlates to power in From games. Things that become more powerful will get bigger and things that get bigger will become more powerful. It's why Gael, for example, when you first meet him is about as big as you are but when you fight him at the end of time he's at least twice as big. You're always lovely and small because you're a hosed up little guy with no power and the only reason you succeed at anything is through sheer determination. It also helps that almost everything is rotting or a shell of its former glory

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Tiny protagonists aren't terribly uncommon in third-person games. Look at Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank games, for example, and then compare him to even the friendly NPCs in his games -- they tower over him! I assume it's part of making the game easy to read. It also helps make enemies feel more threatening when they're several times your size.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, it's certainly got a practical aspect as well. In a third-person game, your own character will take up more or less the lower third of your screen. Making NPCs nice and tall puts them comfortably somewhere in the middle of your screen when they're right in front of you, letting you get a good look at them without having to tilt the camera until you look down at them from above.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's because if you make the slightest insinuation that you're making fun of the player then the Gamer's psyche immediately craters to the lowest Indigo Prophecy level.

Also everybody likes an underdog. If you're a 6'5" Barret Wallace picking on a bunch of 5'3" Wolverine sized enemies then you just look like a bully. That's what makes Bayonetta so hosed up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

It's because if you make the slightest insinuation that you're making fun of the player then the Gamer's psyche immediately craters to the lowest Indigo Prophecy level.

Also everybody likes an underdog. If you're a 6'5" Barret Wallace picking on a bunch of 5'3" Wolverine sized enemies then you just look like a bully. That's what makes Bayonetta so hosed up.

I disagree, I could gently caress up those lovely militiamen in Elden Ring all day and not feel bad for even a second and people would cheer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

There's some implicit indications that size directly correlates to power in From games. Things that become more powerful will get bigger and things that get bigger will become more powerful. It's why Gael, for example, when you first meet him is about as big as you are but when you fight him at the end of time he's at least twice as big. You're always lovely and small because you're a hosed up little guy with no power and the only reason you succeed at anything is through sheer determination. It also helps that almost everything is rotting or a shell of its former glory

there's a sliding scale really

saw one tweet that no fromsoft boss inspires dread like a guy standing alone on a cliff with a name like "The Captain"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Oxxidation posted:

there's a sliding scale really

saw one tweet that no fromsoft boss inspires dread like a guy standing alone on a cliff with a name like "The Captain"

Steve from Accounting

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Kit Walker posted:

It’s because they eat people. Gael ate people. Eat people and get huge is what I’m saying.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have eaten zero people, and I'm not huge at all, so logically eating people would make me huge

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Biplane posted:

I have eaten zero people, and I'm not huge at all, so logically eating people would make me huge

You are correct. This is the way.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This conversation allows me to do what I always do: exhort people to watch the film Ravenous

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

oldpainless posted:

This conversation allows me to do what I always do: exhort people to watch the film Ravenous

You must be enormous. Congratulations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
From games would be 10x cooler if you grew an inch every time you gained a level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiny protagonists aren't terribly uncommon in third-person games. Look at Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank games, for example, and then compare him to even the friendly NPCs in his games -- they tower over him! I assume it's part of making the game easy to read. It also helps make enemies feel more threatening when they're several times your size.

Old school Rare games are big on this, even basic enemies are a lot bigger than Banjo and Kazooie. (of course, Banjo is consistent referred to as a honey bear, among the smallest types of bears) DK64 also has everything built rather oversize considering the protagonist is literally a gorilla. Spyro the baby dragon, and Crash... Zelda also comes to mind, with Link being a twinky young man at largest contrasting with an antagonist usually at least literally four times his size. And not least Mario himself, who depending on sources is at most 5'1".

Does remind me of why games like Tomb Raider were initially called 'Cinematic Platformers' to make them distinct from your Marios and Spyros, where characters are relatively realistic sizes in scale to their environments and each other, and they move and act while appearing to obey the laws of physics. (the original 2D Prince of Persia comes to mind as perhaps the earliest example, catching a lot of players by surprise) Obviously that kinda ended up evolving into/merging with third person shooters.

SkeletonHero posted:

From games would be 10x cooler if you grew an inch every time you gained a level.

Wasn't there a game a bit like this, Doshin the Giant, where he grows larger the more nice things he does and the more people love him, but that also makes it harder to avoid collateral damage just from moving?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SkeletonHero posted:

:goonsay: I'm fairly sure there are anime games that already achieve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Breetai posted:

:goonsay: I'm fairly sure there are anime games that already achieve this.

Can you recommend some? My time is valuable so I really need something that will let me get huge and finish in under five minutes.