Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

I’m not trying to be profound (lol). Numenoreans were taller, lived longer, had claims on kingdoms, could use magic, and so on . (Not even getting into the elves) Ok if you want to say that isn’t necessarily objectively good I understand that point.
Well, at least there was no moral element to the story asserting that some ethnic groups are just biologically superior by divine right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8HWk4BpT_AP4tTGjF4O4GA i watch this guy's just because of the way he starts his videos

Oh god, one of those guys*.

Now this particular guy you like might not be a smug awful edgelord. I'll accept that, but that was sure the way to bet based on all previous experience.

It's like bright colours in nature signalling poison, it's generally life's way of telling you don't listen to this horrible rear end in a top hat.

*Redundant. It's always a guy.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 30, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Oh god, one of those guys*.

Now this particular guy you like might not be a smug awful edgelord. I'll accept that, but that was sure the way to bet based on all previous experience.

It's like bright colours in nature signalling poison, it's generally life's way of telling you don't listen to this horrible rear end in a top hat.

*Redundant. It's always a guy.

it's just a chill guy who starts his videos with an insanely nerdy greeting that i think is funny

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I started reading The Silmarillion a few weeks ago, and I usually make it thru a chapter each time I open it. It's not as obtuse as many would have led me to believe but god drat are there a lot of names and locations thrown at you at once so it's hard to follow. Might have to go back and re-read it after I finish so I can actually see who was doing what and when during the first third of the book.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WarMECH posted:

I started reading The Silmarillion a few weeks ago, and I usually make it thru a chapter each time I open it. It's not as obtuse as many would have led me to believe but god drat are there a lot of names and locations thrown at you at once so it's hard to follow. Might have to go back and re-read it after I finish so I can actually see who was doing what and when during the first third of the book.

IMO they should just have a little reference of the most important names printed on the very last page so you can quickly remind you who's Turin vs Hurin, Huor vs Tuor, Fingolfin vs Fingon, Maglor vs Maeglin vs Maedhros

It's a fun book when you're in the right mood, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
At least some editions of the Silmarillion have some family trees for the Noldor and Edain princes at the back, check and see if it’s there

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

IMO they should just have a little reference of the most important names printed on the very last page so you can quickly remind you who's Turin vs Hurin, Huor vs Tuor, Fingolfin vs Fingon, Maglor vs Maeglin vs Maedhros

It's a fun book when you're in the right mood, though.

Usually, people with very similar names are closely related, so its easy enough to get the gist of what the book is talking about. Like, Turin is Hurin's son, Tuor is Huor's son, Hurin and Huor are brothers. All of them are nobles in the house of Hador, one of the 3 houses of Men that allied with the elves in Beleriand.

Fingon is the son of Fingolfin. They're Noldor exiles who didn't follow Feanor or his sons.

Maglor and Maedhros are brothers, both sons of Feanor. Maeglin is kind of an exception though

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 30, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The character and place names thing makes it totally impenetrable to me, unfortunately. I'm so bad with names, I couldn't even tell you the first names of half of my favorite characters from most of my favorite movies and shows where they're normal real-world names that I have reference points for. Throwing hundreds of made up names that all sound kinda similar at me is just not going to work.

I hope there's an animated version in my lifetime so I can properly absorb it and recognize the characters and locations visually instead. I vote for someone doing it in the style of Son of the White Mare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpIt3WgDHg

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I hope they do it in Dreamworks style and all of the characters make the smirk face

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Just read the silmarillion while listening to blind guardians nightfall in middle earth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Moose posted:

Maglor and Maedhros are brothers, both sons of Feanor. Maeglin is kind of an exception though

Maeglin is a massive douchebag so its appropriate that his name is similar to a member of the king poo poo family of massive douchebags.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

feanor and his sons are cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's a funny thing to say about a guy whose name means Spirit of Fire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beren and Luthien are the most important people / couple in the whole thing and are the “key” I guess to almost all the relationships

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Maeglin is a massive douchebag so its appropriate that his name is similar to a member of the king poo poo family of massive douchebags.

he could have replaced Maedhros, who was maybe one of the less douch-y ones, as evidenced by the fact that he's the only one who was known to have one (1) friend who was not also his brother.

But then again, I think he also led the 2nd and 3rd kinslayings and attacked the valar to steal a silmaril. Pobody's nerfect right??

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Aegnor also had a friend who wasn’t his brother. A zone friend if you will

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

skasion posted:

Aegnor also had a friend who wasn’t his brother. A zone friend if you will

oh yeah, I thought we were just talking about the sons of feanor (who all sucked)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

valar stole them first

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A Moose posted:

oh yeah, I thought we were just talking about the sons of feanor (who all sucked)

Wait, wasn’t he one? Or am I confusing him with one of the OTHER pair of Noldorin princes with an A name

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

skasion posted:

Wait, wasn’t he one? Or am I confusing him with one of the OTHER pair of Noldorin princes with an A name

Aegnor was the one who was in love with a human, but died before he could do anything about it, but he was one of Finarfin's sons.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

A Moose posted:

Aegnor was the one who was in love with a human, but died before he could do anything about it, but he was one of Finarfin's sons.

Finrod talked him out of doing anything about it. Andreth was a very old, lonely woman by the time everything went to poo poo.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Falathrim posted:

Finrod talked him out of doing anything about it. Andreth was a very old, lonely woman by the time everything went to poo poo.
It's more that Aegnor talked himself out of it (and not for lack of interest or affection on his part). I believe that when Arda ends, the spirits of the elves will be gathered to Iluvatar in the Timeless Halls and Andreth and Aegnor will find happiness together.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
re: Numenorean superiority and so on, I have a recollection Tolkien's own reply to that was more or less "the book is fiction, bro, Numenoreans aren't real."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The oldest, most-distant star yet seen has been named Earendel.

quote:

Tolkien fans may recognize this name, though spelled slightly differently as Eärendil, the half-elf mariner who carried a heavenly jewel into the sky in The Silmarillion. Tolkien found inspiration for his works in the 10th century poem Crist, one line of which (translated from Old English) reads: “Hail Éarendel, brightest of angels, sent over middle-earth to mankind.” The nature of Éarendel is debated but it is commonly identified as the “morning star.”

“I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, so that was one of the first name ideas that came to mind for a distant star,” explains [Brian] Welch [a Ph.D. candidate in astronomy and astrophysics at Johns Hopkins University, who discovered the star]. “When I looked into it further and found that the old English word Earendel actually refers to a morning star, I was pretty much sold on the name.”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh sweet, I heard from a friend that it was Earendel but assumed it was NOT a Tolkien reference. This is awesome

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:nice:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

But Ëarendil is Venus!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

But Ëarendil is Venus!

There's no umlaut, totally different name.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/1509778754880503810?s=21&t=sp51AsqQmQGnrHhhZY1QDQ

I was very confused until I realized the date.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The worst of the worst april fools jokes are the ones that prank you into believing something good exists and then saying "haha nevermind, gently caress you for getting excited for that."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Oracle posted:

There's no umlaut, totally different name.

That's a diæresis. :colbert:

Fun fact: The original German translation spelled it "Eärendil", which is an umlaut in German.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I know conversation's moved on from illustrations, but I just saw this picture of Barad-Dur by Pauline Baynes and really liked it, so wanted to share:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cptn_dr posted:

I know conversation's moved on from illustrations, but I just saw this picture of Barad-Dur by Pauline Baynes and really liked it, so wanted to share:

The conversation can circle back for this, its great

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

it's a bit too tall, it could do with fewer battlements

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shibawanko posted:

The only real criticism I have is that I think any depiction of barad-dur should be incomplete; there should always be more of the fortress out of frame, either above or below or to the side.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only real criticism I have is that I think any depiction of barad-dur should be incomplete; there should always be more of the fortress out of frame, either above or below or to the side.

Yeah I actually like the design of this, but the framing makes it look slightly wee

I went to the mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant and all I got was this stupid coffee cup

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cptn_dr posted:

You can't fool me that's a Necron Monolith.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the Fortress of Evil in Time Bandits is the ideal of Barad-dur as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I like the idea that every level of the ziggurat should have crenellated battlements so you can shoot arrows that won't even reach to the outer wall

Like, just for stylistic consistency