Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man I really shouldn't have had that taco bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I came. :)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

11'9" aftermath photo?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

11'9" aftermath photo?

Never forget :911:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was looking at random images of Kinshasa and the first one I open:

Wait, what's that in the corner?

Seems safe.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 31, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Zesty posted:

Got a link?

https://ryanjarcy.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/how-i-blew-off-a-leg-with-a-12-gauge-shotgun-part-one/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

If only there had been a good guy with a gun to save him from shooting his leg off.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Big "I was high and didn't mention that part" vibes, I remember this one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Only thing I could think about was "why wasn't the motherfucking safety engaged" , was this man in the habit of just waving unsecured firearms about? Was he concerned that the other guy could reach him in the split second it'd take to disengage? Was he fighting The Flash?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

quote:

Jumping out the door, wielding my gun and screaming “GETONTHEGODDAMNGROUND MOTHERFUCKER! DOITNOW GODDAMMIT!” like a wild man, I put the side of his head in my sights and racked in a round just before he took off running to his truck yelling Spanish. He might have a gun, I thought, or maybe just yelling “don’t shoot!” Legally, I had the right to take the shot, but I didn’t want to kill someone over stolen tools. Yelling back all manner of curse words and reaching for my phone, I dove back into the small, enclosed foyer and went to call the police.

Definitely the words of a well-adjusted person who should be handling firearms.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Perestroika posted:

Definitely the words of a well-adjusted person who should be handling firearms.

I would just peeked around the corner and shot the guy. Like in my favorite fps!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If only he had another, bigger gun to defend himself with against his 12-gauge

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ngl i cant imagine a real world scenario where that guy doesn't go for a free kill on a spooky immigrant messing with mah tools especially if it's proper workshop tools instead of like a few wrenches and a saw. those can cost tens of thousands are losing them means your life is over

but im assuming a lot here

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 31, 2022

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
EDIT: extremely late to the joke!

Rascar Capac fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 31, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

By popular demand posted:

Only thing I could think about was "why wasn't the motherfucking safety engaged" , was this man in the habit of just waving unsecured firearms about? Was he concerned that the other guy could reach him in the split second it'd take to disengage? Was he fighting The Flash?

You don't really need the safety on in a gun that doesn't even have a round in the chamber, and if he'd had it on he definitely would have disengaged it when he chambered a round anyway.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
It would be my opinion that you should put the safety on as soon as you are no longer ready to fire.

I like that the guy praises his own trigger discipline before shooting himself in the leg

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sure but the question was more like “why is this guy waving a gun around with the safety off” and the answer to that is “because he was preparing to shoot someone.”

A lot of guns don’t even have manual safeties what do you do then. If you’re in a life or death situation and you’re relying on both remembering to reengage the safety and doing it successfully in the heat of the moment in order to stop yourself from blowing off your own leg, you’ve already failed in about six different ways.

I was taught that safeties are not really to stop a loaded gun from firing when you pull the trigger with your finger, if you’re relying on them for that then you have hosed up very badly.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

quote:

Legally, I had the right to take the shot, but I didn’t want to kill someone over stolen tools.

*me reading this* What the actual gently caress, you absolutely do not have the right to murder a dude across the street because he's stealing something... oh wait, this guy lives in Texas. :negative:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

It would be my opinion that you should put the safety on as soon as you are no longer ready to fire.

I like that the guy praises his own trigger discipline before shooting himself in the leg

Yeah sounds like he just got all jacked up on adrenaline and could have even just got spooked by a noise while he was trying to call and his whole body probably tensed up including his trigger finger and goodbye leg.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1J1AyFrjo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that one at the end goddamn, it's like a flamethrower

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

bird with big dick posted:

Sure but the question was more like “why is this guy waving a gun around with the safety off” and the answer to that is “because he was preparing to shoot someone.”

A lot of guns don’t even have manual safeties what do you do then. If you’re in a life or death situation and you’re relying on both remembering to reengage the safety and doing it successfully in the heat of the moment in order to stop yourself from blowing off your own leg, you’ve already failed in about six different ways.

I was taught that safeties are not really to stop a loaded gun from firing when you pull the trigger with your finger, if you’re relying on them for that then you have hosed up very badly.

My point I was more trying to make is that the tone of the narrative reads to me like 'this is how I, a firearms expert who is cool under pressure, accidentally shot myself in the leg. He talks about himself as a firearms nerd, calls out 'accidental discharge' (to no one other than himself?) immediately after shooting, but then he also specifically says the gun was pointed at the ground and his finger was off the trigger because his trigger discipline was good, and he still shoots himself.

Even accounting for adrenaline and high pressure, I don't think the guy was as wise in the ways of the gun as he represents himself. It reminds me a lot of a guy I was acquainted with in college who talked himself up as a redneck and a gun expert all the time and got thrown out of a range almost immediately when a bunch of us from class went shooting once, despite having been 'the best marksman in the air force' for the the entire time he served

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/StatsLime/status/1509330181072203779?t=VH1UrvI4qCvQ6SIDGtku4w&s=19

I get Russia's reasons for invading Ukraine, I just don't understand why they apparently thought they were prepared to invade Ukraine.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
^^^ Edit: holy poo poo ^^^

I remember in the military that if you smacked the butt of your rifle on the ground with the barrel facing up, the momentum was enough to force the bolt back, cycle the actions, and chamber a round.

That was a pretty eye-opening moment.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

https://twitter.com/StatsLime/status/1509330181072203779?t=VH1UrvI4qCvQ6SIDGtku4w&s=19

I get Russia's reasons for invading Ukraine, I just don't understand why they apparently thought they were prepared to invade Ukraine.

The Dunning-Kruger Invasion

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Be careful when using the chainsaw!

The chainsaw:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
It's not loading for me, is the link good?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

Different reports are saying that the soldiers were just told they were taking over "vital infrastructure" but had no idea that it was a nuclear power plant. Several had no knowledge of what happened at Chernobyl in the first place.

It's looking a bit like there were no actual cases of acute radiation poisoning but that the soldiers freaked out when plant personnel all told them their dicks would fall off in a week due to exposure, which is a lot funnier of an outcome.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r9k8r7oiQx1qigfjt.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lots of people like compact(ed) cars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's looking a bit like there were no actual cases of acute radiation poisoning but that the soldiers freaked out when plant personnel all told them their dicks would fall off in a week due to exposure, which is a lot funnier of an outcome.

Yeah, there's nothing outside the containment structure that'd be hot enough any more to give you acute radiation sickness even if you went digging and rolling around in the pit you dug.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, there's nothing outside the containment structure that'd be hot enough any more to give you acute radiation sickness even if you went digging and rolling around in the pit you dug.

My guess is that once they figured out they were digging around near Chernobyl, they freaked out at the first sign of anyone getting sick. It may not be radiation sickness, but you're not going to convince them of that right now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My guess is that nobody even went digging near Chernobyl and this is one big game of telephone without primary sources.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic posted:

My guess is that nobody even went digging near Chernobyl and this is one big game of telephone without primary sources.

LOL sure buddy

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

You may ask yourself, how did I get here?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

we know that russians drove through restricted areas and raised dust, which was recorded by the radiation monitoring instruments. everything after that isn't certain. but you could imagine a million ways that the soldiers could end up freaking out about radiation

in any case it seems to be confirmed they're leaving the area so hopefully more facts come to light

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Crumple zone in the back, party in the front!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

My point I was more trying to make is that the tone of the narrative reads to me like 'this is how I, a firearms expert who is cool under pressure, accidentally shot myself in the leg. He talks about himself as a firearms nerd, calls out 'accidental discharge' (to no one other than himself?) immediately after shooting, but then he also specifically says the gun was pointed at the ground and his finger was off the trigger because his trigger discipline was good, and he still shoots himself.

Even accounting for adrenaline and high pressure, I don't think the guy was as wise in the ways of the gun as he represents himself. It reminds me a lot of a guy I was acquainted with in college who talked himself up as a redneck and a gun expert all the time and got thrown out of a range almost immediately when a bunch of us from class went shooting once, despite having been 'the best marksman in the air force' for the the entire time he served

Yeah, for sure, he's an idiot.

Like his first problem was going outside rather than just turning on the porch light or whatever and calling the police.
His second problem was using a 12 gauge for home defense which is loving stupid IMO.
His third problem was racking a round just so he could sound like billy badass in the movies and "ward off the bad guys"
His fourth problem was considering murdering someone over "tools" that he cares so little about that they're just in a pile in his yard.
His fifth problem was (almost certainly) having his figure inside the trigger guard.
And so on and so on.

Not putting the safety back on when you're lowering the firearm is absolutely wrong but in the heat of the moment and when the situation is technically ongoing, eh, it's gonna happen. It's all the other dumb poo poo he did that really caused him to blow his fat dumb leg off imo.

e: this is my favorite line

quote:

The nurse closest to me, holding my hand and giving me instructions, told me to breathe, and asked if I felt better. I didn’t, and I conveyed that via a flurry of curse words. She looked puzzled, and asked if I had taken any recreational drugs- so I gripped her hand tightly and squeezed it again, weakly crying out in pain as my body began to shut down. She flipped. “FENTANYL! FENTANYL! HE’S GOING DOWN! FILL HIS IV!” The crowd of angels complied, and my brain slipped into la-la land in a minute or two as she smiled at me, telling me what a strong man and brave boy I was.

such a strong, brave, legless manboy moron.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 31, 2022

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r9jugmCB3w1r0uzl6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

No one rides for free.