Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

It is 100% this. He bought the Santa Fe and doesn't like it. He likes the gadgets and wants something in the SUV category, but doesn't like the Santa Fe, specifically.

So tell him: if you can afford a different car and that's what makes you happy go buy a different car. Stop trying to rationalize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

So tell him: if you can afford a different car and that's what makes you happy go buy a different car. Stop trying to rationalize this.

Yeah, let me set up an intervention real quick with my 6-figure earning friend just because he's being slightly BWM about his reasons for buying a car. He wants to trade a Santa Fe for like a sensible hybrid, not a Porche Cayenne.

Guiness' comment (and I guess yours too), answered the question, thanks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'll be back in a week or so when he inevitably asks me which Cayenne model is best.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

I'll be back in a week or so when he inevitably asks me which Cayenne model is best.

First generation, twin turbo. I get at least 14.5 MPG with all terrains on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

First generation, twin turbo. I get at least 14.5 MPG with all terrains on it.

poo poo that's better than what I get in the E39

dpkg chopra posted:

Yeah, let me set up an intervention real quick with my 6-figure earning friend just because he's being slightly BWM about his reasons for buying a car. He wants to trade a Santa Fe for like a sensible hybrid, not a Porche Cayenne.

dogg man nobody's telling you to set up an intervention just say "hey man if you got the scratch and you don't like your car go ahead and get a new one"

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I just wanted to post a final follow-up. Everything is resolved and I'm loving my Pinnacle. The car dealer in Illinois followed through with everything he promised. The car drives like a dream and the comfort features for my family make road trips enjoyable, even with a large family.

When my friends stopped by to check it out, they went from "I can't believe you are driving a minivan now" to "ok I gotta admit this car is actually pretty cool" in a short time.

I saved thousands by going with a better dealer than my original local MA one, despite upgrading to a loaded Pinnacle.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

dpkg chopra posted:

Did he lease or purchase the Santa Fe?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

Did he lease or purchase the Santa Fe?

He purchased it and financed it a fairly a low rate.

In any case, I talked to him again, we looked at some of the cars he wants, and the delivery times were way too long for his comfort, even with the WFH scenario, so problem solved... for now.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I got a new job that pays more, so I'm looking to replace my 2013 Impreza hatchback. I'm WFH full time now so I want something a little bigger now that I will be driving less and more of my driving will be road trips, home improvement runs, and drives with my dog in the back.

I'm looking at compact SUVs, and would strongly prefer something with good acceleration and handling. I also need Android Auto/Apple Carplay, would like remote start and some of those fancy new safety features.

I was hoping to be able to find a reasonably priced performance trim of something like the Bronco Sport or the CX-5, but you have to add $10k+ to the price to get improved performance, which was more than I was expecting.

Then I came across the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid, which seems like a much better value. MSRP of $36740, and then you get a $6400 tax credit. I'm gonna test drive it but it sounds like it has the acceleration I want, handles well, and has all of the bells and whistles. There's also the Rav4 Prime, but it's a little more expensive and has fewer bells and whistles. Any other suggestions I should look into or test drive?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the main downside with the Tucson is that its insanely ugly and I think modern Hyundais still have cheap feeling interiors.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm looking at compact SUVs, and would strongly prefer something with good acceleration and handling.

Any other suggestions I should look into or test drive?

Used Macan S

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I got a new job that pays more, so I'm looking to replace my 2013 Impreza hatchback. I'm WFH full time now so I want something a little bigger now that I will be driving less and more of my driving will be road trips, home improvement runs, and drives with my dog in the back.

I'm looking at compact SUVs, and would strongly prefer something with good acceleration and handling. I also need Android Auto/Apple Carplay, would like remote start and some of those fancy new safety features.

I was hoping to be able to find a reasonably priced performance trim of something like the Bronco Sport or the CX-5, but you have to add $10k+ to the price to get improved performance, which was more than I was expecting.

Then I came across the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid, which seems like a much better value. MSRP of $36740, and then you get a $6400 tax credit. I'm gonna test drive it but it sounds like it has the acceleration I want, handles well, and has all of the bells and whistles. There's also the Rav4 Prime, but it's a little more expensive and has fewer bells and whistles. Any other suggestions I should look into or test drive?

Have you considered full size sedans? My Taurus has so much more room than my CX-5. It’s hard to think of anything I could buy from Home Depot that would fit in the CX5 and not the Taurus. Perhaps a large square box that couldn’t clear the truck opening. I can put my bike in just the trunk. Can only do that in the CX5 with the seats down. Back seats should be fine for most dog breeds.

It would be easier to find something with good handling and acceleration if you’re open to a larger car. Just rent the $20 Home Depot truck when you need it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Don't disagree that an occasional trunk rental can be a very good solution, but holy hell loading poo poo in and out of the Golf Alltrack is a lot easier than the 5 series even though the 5 series is probably bigger. Nice square opening, no breakover on the lip of the trunk, etc.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite reminder is CUVs are usually easier loading space, not more or more useful loading space. In fact that's a really good thing and I'm now spoiled from doing my first CUV camping trip and my first CUV Christmas road trip in a CX 5 last year. But it's important to put it on the table for comparison especially if your wants are handling well because that's something the CUVs are compromised on just because of simple physics. You'll figure that out during test drives I'm sure so no need to warn you off the Tucson any more than the normal blurbs about the economy design of Hyundai.

If you can deal with some bending and reaching a full size will carry anything you can generally fit in a car format and anything that rides lower is going to feel much better to handle so you can open your horizons if you find the handling of CUVs to be a deal breaker.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Stinger I had was just as easy to load/unload as my mom's escape, if not easier. My Focus does a really good job too.

Bring back hatches, sportbacks, and wagons! :argh:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

zedprime posted:

My favorite reminder is CUVs are usually easier loading space, not more or more useful loading space. In fact that's a really good thing and I'm now spoiled from doing my first CUV camping trip and my first CUV Christmas road trip in a CX 5 last year. But it's important to put it on the table for comparison especially if your wants are handling well because that's something the CUVs are compromised on just because of simple physics. You'll figure that out during test drives I'm sure so no need to warn you off the Tucson any more than the normal blurbs about the economy design of Hyundai.

If you can deal with some bending and reaching a full size will carry anything you can generally fit in a car format and anything that rides lower is going to feel much better to handle so you can open your horizons if you find the handling of CUVs to be a deal breaker.

I should've said "good handling for it's class". I don't expect it to handle like a sports car, but I don't want it to feel like a large SUV. Same for acceleration, I don't need it to be as fast as a Macan S, but I want to be able to easily accelerate onto the highway. I've had a full size sedan and a compact sedan and I prefer the setup of a hatch/SUV.

I'll probably test drive the Tucson Hybrid, the RAV4 Prime and the CX-5 and see how they feel. If I hate driving them I might reconsider some of the smaller and lower riding options.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all cars easily accelerate on to the highway now, it's not 1970s Europe

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yep. The last thing I had that was truly hazardous to merge onto a highway with was a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II. Completely anemic motors (to that degree where you need to actually turn off the AC to make it better) just really aren't a thing anymore.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

but the car makes so much noise if i step on it more than 10% i don't want to abuse it !!

and this is why every new car's throttle mapping is hosed to give you 80% throttle at 10% pedal and the auto trans will aggressively short shift

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

isn't that also good for mileage? hard on the gas at low RPM and shift super early

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes but it’s not as fun.

Outback XT might be worth a look but fuel economy is “lol”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yep. The last thing I had that was truly hazardous to merge onto a highway with was a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II. Completely anemic motors (to that degree where you need to actually turn off the AC to make it better) just really aren't a thing anymore.

The rental spec Jeep Renegade I drove could not maintain 70 on the highway with cruise control on because the transmission would shift into 5th and the engine did not have enough torque to maintain that speed. I had to keep in 4th manually and hold my foot to the floor to get up a slight incline on the interstate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Have you considered full size sedans?

I'm a big fan of a used 7 series personally :science:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The power gap between 50 and 65 in Honda's e-CVT power train makes accelerating to highway speeds a little nerve-wracking sometimes.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't disagree that an occasional trunk rental can be a very good solution, but holy hell loading poo poo in and out of the Golf Alltrack is a lot easier than the 5 series even though the 5 series is probably bigger. Nice square opening, no breakover on the lip of the trunk, etc.

Oh totally. Just throwing out options that might fit the use case. As a home owner with kids, I’ll take a sporty sedan over a CUV every time but that also tells you where my priorities lie.

My wife loves her CX5 and it’s a fantastic vehicle but we are taking the sedan for most family drives just due to comfort. We did choose the CX5 over its competitors purely for preferring the handling, looks and interior quality. Honda and Toyota have it beat on interior space. My moms Tucson is nice but I vastly prefer the CX5 over it. And to OPs request, while I would like the turbo CX5, the 2.5 NA has plenty of power for normal driving.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I fit a commercial-class freezer into my 2018 Tiguan last week.

29" by 32" by 65". I didn't have to push the front seats forward at all, and the 65" juuust cleared the back window. Probably could have increased the 29" to maybe 30" without scraping the headliner. Could have increased the 32" by at least another six inches.

VWs have a reputation for higher repair costs, etc. but this thing does give me that "german driving experience" I kind of missed ever since a jackass totaled my golf. In eco mode doing mixed highway/street and driving gingerly I've been coaxing 30mpg out of it, too.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn't say all. I had a base Ford Ecosport rental a couple years ago and it was a car I never wanted to take up a highway ramp after the first time.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Motronic posted:

My 1st car was a 1985 Mitsubishi Montero and it could not accelerate for poo poo.

A few years later I had a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R. That thing was a loving hoot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My shitbox Fit with like 80hp is usually the fastest car on the highway, it's not an issue. That said I had a friend drive it a few times and she shifted at like 2k rpm and was in 5th gear before merging at like 60km/h, at which point it didn't really accelerate. Just don't drive like that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My favorite thing about the Prius is the little 70hp engine sounds like it's revving to the moon, and being such a small car it feels like I'm going 2x faster than I am. On entrance ramps, I usually go into the ramp trying to gain speed because I know I'm going to need space to get up to 70mph.

Driving it from home to the shop to get the cat replaced was hilarious. Dead silent while on the electric motor, but once the gas kicked on I sounded like a monster truck, and the high revs didn't help.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

My shitbox Fit with like 80hp is usually the fastest car on the highway, it's not an issue. That said I had a friend drive it a few times and she shifted at like 2k rpm and was in 5th gear before merging at like 60km/h, at which point it didn't really accelerate. Just don't drive like that.

People who need a big car to get up to highway speeds really need to learn how to drive tbh. My peugeot 107 will easily get up to 130 km/h (the speed limit here) even loaded to the brim.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I recall several years ago there was a goon in AI who was all like "yeah I won't drive anything less than like 300hp because its just UNSAFE trying to get up to highway speeds".

I told him he was either just trying to wave his dick around or he was the biggest pussy ever.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A Golf GTI makes that much nowadays

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

A lot of people are taught in drivers ed or through word of mouth or bad facebook posts or whatever that revving the car's engine is bad on the car. When I started driving in the 90's, both drivers ed and my parents told me that going past about 3000rpm was both bad for the car and unsafe. Other people are just scared of the noise. It also doesn't help that nowadays we have insurance trackers that increase your insurance rate for too much heavy acceleration or braking.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I paid for the whole tachometer I’m gonna drat well use it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

A lot of people are taught in drivers ed or through word of mouth or bad facebook posts or whatever that revving the car's engine is bad on the car. When I started driving in the 90's, both drivers ed and my parents told me that going past about 3000rpm was both bad for the car and unsafe. Other people are just scared of the noise. It also doesn't help that nowadays we have insurance trackers that increase your insurance rate for too much heavy acceleration or braking.

The irony is with small turbo DI engines (like in every modern car), lugging them can cause really bad knock and make your engine explode. Granted, most cars are undertuned to prevent that specific thing from happening, but it's basically the worst thing you can do to a modern engine short of a moneyshift.

Edit: I guess only driving short distances and never letting the engine warm up is pretty bad for oil dilution too.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Oh totally. Just throwing out options that might fit the use case. As a home owner with kids, I’ll take a sporty sedan over a CUV every time but that also tells you where my priorities lie.

My wife loves her CX5 and it’s a fantastic vehicle but we are taking the sedan for most family drives just due to comfort. We did choose the CX5 over its competitors purely for preferring the handling, looks and interior quality. Honda and Toyota have it beat on interior space. My moms Tucson is nice but I vastly prefer the CX5 over it. And to OPs request, while I would like the turbo CX5, the 2.5 NA has plenty of power for normal driving.

This is really helpful. I'm gonna stick with a CUV for now as it would allow me to put my dog in the back, and I've used my current hatch to move a fridge, bathroom vanity, toilet in box, and fire pit in the last 2 years.

I'll definitely test drive the CX-5. I appreciate people being realistic about the Tucson, from reading reviews it sounds amazing, so it's good to have reasonable expectations when I go test drive it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

"Keep the revs low" was advice from the 70s and 80s to maximize fuel economy. Cars even came with upshift lights to tell when to upshift, which kicked on about 2500 RPM.

Inevitably, it morphed into "you should never rev your engine for any reason," as people focused on the behavior rather than the reason for it.

Better engine controls and improved engineering eventually obviated the value of upshift lights, but the attitude remained.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My wife would lose her poo poo when I would keep the car at a lower gear in traffic so I could have more responsiveness.

The sound of the engine running at a high RPMs would just absolutely trigger her for some reason.

She probably had a bit of a point because I probably overcompensate for having driven an entry-level diesel Renault Clio for the first 5 years of my driving life. You'd have to floor the gas pedal on 3rd gear to try and break 80km/h on that thing.

Now we have a boring automatic and we both miss shifting, so I guess everybody lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

In my old 2000 Suzuki Esteem, if you revved the engine all the way, a cable (I don't know if it was the oem throttle cable or the aftermarket cruise control) would get caught on the throttle, causing about 10-15% power to be added to your idle state. I had to teach myself to never full rev to get around it, because I sure wasn't fixing it/paying someone else to fix it as a college student.

That car was so terrible and I'm glad it's dead.