Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

every orgy needs a challenge

pin the tail on the donkey is so passe

pin the tail on the honkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Look, all we ask is you not talk about the drugs and the orgies. Yes i understand you are upset you can't participate and we use you as a rolling rag. No we won't stop.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

on the real though expect Cawthorn to go into rehab (whether or not he admits it) because dude is known to be a drinker and that puffy face coming out of McCarthy’s office is a man on a bender

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

selec posted:

lol McCarthy said he had to “take steps”…this guy is hosed!

I mean come on, you can't expect Cawthorn to take steps now can you?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Chuck grassleys house is a good place for u know what

now i want a blizzard :mad:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Azathoth posted:

now i want a blizzard :mad:

settle down buddykins

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Azathoth posted:

This was all a really good read, and definitely reminded me of Drapetomania, the junk psychology term for why slaves would want to run away, and how that was treated as a contagion as well.

Obviously, the two situations are not analogous, but the upper class treating something that they could not conceptualize, people wanting freedom from the current oppressive system, as a contagion seems to be similar enough to warrant calling out.

reminds me of

Deleuze posted:

How can we conceive of a peopling, a propagation, a becoming that is without filiation or hereditary production? A multiplicity without the unity of an ancestor? It is quite simple; everybody knows it, but it is discussed only in secret. We oppose epidemic to filiation, contagion to heredity, peopling by contagion to sexual reproduction, sexual production. Bands, human or animal, proliferate by contagion, epidemics, battlefields, and catastrophes. Like hybrids, which are in themselves sterile, born of a sexual union that will not reproduce itself, but which begins over again every time, gaining that much more ground. Unnatural participations or nuptials are the true Nature spanning the kingdoms of nature. Propagation by epidemic, by contagion, has nothing to do with filiation by heredity, even if the two themes intermingle and require each other.

That is the only way Nature operates — against itself. This is a far cry from filiative production or hereditary reproduction, in which the only differences retained are a simple duality between sexes within the same species, and small modifications across generations. For us, on the other hand, there are as many sexes as there are terms in symbiosis, as many differences as elements contributing to a process of contagion. We know that many beings pass between a man and a woman; they come from different worlds, are borne on the wind, form rhizomes around roots; they cannot be understood in terms of reproduction, only in terms of becoming. The Universe does not function by filiation. All we are saying is that animals are packs, and that packs form, develop, and are transformed by contagion.

ofc he doesn't really disapprove of this. his response to "communism is contagious" would be something along the lines of the chad "Yes." meme

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

selec posted:

on the real though expect Cawthorn to go into rehab (whether or not he admits it) because dude is known to be a drinker and that puffy face coming out of McCarthy’s office is a man on a bender

can he really make it to the 12th step? I don't think he'll get past one

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Orgy Porgy Gerald Ford and No Fun

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GWBBQ posted:

Jumping to the conclusion that someone isn't genuine or credible because they're related to an influential military or intelligence person is really loving dumb.

lmfao

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Shear Modulus posted:

going to file a FOIA request for the FBI file on sonichu

We have a right to know!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the families at the tippy top of the power elite, your bushes, your kennedys, your rockefellers, are like the mob: you're born into it and you can't get out. the most you can do is turn into a failson and either become a bad artist or a professional "philanthropist". become too much of a public embarrassment and you get the rosemary kennedy or princess diana treatment. if you really go off the reservation you get the JFK treatment.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i heard i think cushbomb or mattsjudge talk about internal struggle of yankee/cowboy factions of the IC, the only book i can find is "The Yankee and Cowboy War: Conspiracies from Dallas to Watergate" by Carl Oglesby, is that the best resource for this idea? it's like 50 y/o so hoping maybe this thesis has been covered in a more contemporaneous resource.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Madison Cawthorn...welcome to antifa

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mark immune posted:

i heard i think cushbomb or mattsjudge talk about internal struggle of yankee/cowboy factions of the IC, the only book i can find is "The Yankee and Cowboy War: Conspiracies from Dallas to Watergate" by Carl Oglesby, is that the best resource for this idea? it's like 50 y/o so hoping maybe this thesis has been covered in a more contemporaneous resource.

that's an excellent book and I'd highly recommend it

I don't know if there's any more recent scholarship but you can kind of see a manifestation of it even up to today, where you have the Atlanticist "yankee" faction focused on Europe and the Ukraine crisis, as opposed to the "cowboys" that paint over their agenda with a veneer of "isolationism" but what they really want is to draw away from Europe so the US will focus on China instead

or like, Obama trying to do his "pivot to Asia" while also drawing flack for being "too soft on Russia"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

|||[CoVid PsYcHo]|||

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

|||[CoVid PsYcHo]|||

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

fafa fa fa fa fafa fa faaa

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

bedpan posted:

concentrated wealth and power tends to stay concentrated. unless something happens to dislocate those nodes of money and influence, they will just stay around and entrench and extend.

perhaps one of the ways power stays concentrated is that the older generations allow the newer to connect with the current zeitgeist rather than try to change it if that’s what it takes to preserve the family’s position

doesn’t mean it’s not an op, just that the aim of any given op or even awareness that it’s an op may not be entirely clear

what better way to retain power, influence, and wealth in the long term than to try to be in influence of those who may induce a phase change, if opposing that change may become too high of a risk?

again. not saying it’s this way, just that it’s another possibility worth considering, since the way to stick around for the true long term is to game-theory the poo poo out of every significant decision and exhibit zero loyalty to anyone or anything else (but some might have ignorant ideas about what decisions are significant)

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I realised I might be too pilled today when I was listening to the programmed to chill episode on Downard and just randomly thought 'i wonder if astroworld was on the 33rd parallel too'

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

eschaton posted:

perhaps one of the ways power stays concentrated is that the older generations allow the newer to connect with the current zeitgeist rather than try to change it if that’s what it takes to preserve the family’s position

doesn’t mean it’s not an op, just that the aim of any given op or even awareness that it’s an op may not be entirely clear

what better way to retain power, influence, and wealth in the long term than to try to be in influence of those who may induce a phase change, if opposing that change may become too high of a risk?

again. not saying it’s this way, just that it’s another possibility worth considering, since the way to stick around for the true long term is to game-theory the poo poo out of every significant decision and exhibit zero loyalty to anyone or anything else (but some might have ignorant ideas about what decisions are significant)

If you can get in high enough to ride a wave socially you can probably just kill it or render it inert with the right placement of opposed money/influence and why ride something you don't want when that's on the table?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Jumping to the conclusion that someone isn't genuine or credible because they're related to an influential military or intelligence person is really loving dumb.
he's an op op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_nHaa81Q4c

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

GWBBQ posted:

on the other hand The Doors were most definitely snitches.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

sure, but that guy is a youtube channel, if he was genuine or credible he'd be banned already lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

it ain't enough to build a wall but give me two or three more bricks

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

DirtyRobot posted:

It should prolly be said explicitly that in addition to the conspiracy stuff Judge literally has a bunch of eps on Pynchon

His Pynchon episodes are so good. I had never looked into Pynchon's own background but learning about his involvement with SAGE, most likely while he was writing The Crying of Lot 49 was a good ol' fashion ping.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the handful of free episodes I've listened to make me want to start reading pynchon. What's the best entry point? Is it gravity's rainbow? V? i also have a copy of inherent Vice that i got somewhere i don't remember that i've never opened

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shear Modulus posted:

the handful of free episodes I've listened to make me want to start reading pynchon. What's the best entry point? Is it gravity's rainbow? V? i also have a copy of inherent Vice that i got somewhere i don't remember that i've never opened

"slow learner" is a collection of 5 pynchon short stories. read that to get a feel for the author and figure out if you wanna commit to pynchon's longer works. it has the added benefit of not leaving you with a half read copy of gravity's rainbow

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

"entropy" is a singular short story that's pretty easy to find online if you wanna spend even less time familiarizing yourself with pynchon

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Marzzle posted:

"slow learner" is a collection of 5 pynchon short stories. read that to get a feel for the author and figure out if you wanna commit to pynchon's longer works. it has the added benefit of not leaving you with a half read copy of gravity's rainbow

those stories are all terribly written though, just start with lot 49 if you want something short

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, Lot 49 is a good place to start

I taught it to undergrads for several years, it's not particularly difficult

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Inherent Vice is also a fine place to start. Very accessible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

yeah you can "start" with GR but you're gonna get your rear end kicked unless you just let the waves wash over you and take the ride

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

MSJ's episodes cover Inherent Vice, Lot 49, and GR in that order. So you could read along while podcasting.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
bleeding edge is about 9/11 and references dragon ball and metal gear solid, it's the goon choice

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Danger posted:

Inherent Vice is also a fine place to start. Very accessible.

imo you'll appreciate inherent vice more the more of his work you've already read

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Crime on a Dime posted:

imo you'll appreciate inherent vice more the more of his work you've already read

yea I do agree. what makes it seem more accessible also allows for a really reductive reading of it as genre fiction.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's an excellent book and I'd highly recommend it

I don't know if there's any more recent scholarship but you can kind of see a manifestation of it even up to today, where you have the Atlanticist "yankee" faction focused on Europe and the Ukraine crisis, as opposed to the "cowboys" that paint over their agenda with a veneer of "isolationism" but what they really want is to draw away from Europe so the US will focus on China instead

or like, Obama trying to do his "pivot to Asia" while also drawing flack for being "too soft on Russia"

ty g2k

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Danger posted:

yea I do agree. what makes it seem more accessible also allows for a really reductive reading of it as genre fiction.

:hai:

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

mark immune posted:

Prisoners of the American Dream touches on this as well, but that's pretty old (1980s) too, although Davis' discussion of 80s Democratic politics basically 2015-present but with Jesse Jackson instead of Bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

eschaton posted:

They do this with their investments, foundation grants, and astroturf movements in nonprofit industrial complex. There's a whole infrastructure of near-automated cooptation of social movements built up around the democrat party and media.