Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Laterite posted:

the live action Aladdin from 2019 literally made a billion dollars and it sure wasn't because of the no name lead

lol goons

people hate to hear it, but suicide squad starting will smith made five times more money than suicide squad 2 not starring will smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

josh04 posted:

people hate to hear it, but suicide squad starting will smith made five times more money than suicide squad 2 not starring will smith

did it make more than the sequel released at the height of Delta? that’s crazy

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The will smith one was so bad it chased away 4/5 of the potential audience for the sequel!

E: also probably a lot more people watched suicide squad 2 on hbomax than theaters and i don't know how that counts into its revenue?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the Peacemaker show was fun. I hope next season he defects to China to rightfully reclaim the island of Taiwan for them.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

walking dead is mostly awful because it drives all the plot/conflict through that plot-character-class morality where theyll kill like 5 people an episode but wont kill whatever psychopath is precipitating the deaths of everyone because that would be a step too far

it had some ok arcs with like carol, but theyre spread way thin, and they end up turning characters with potential (like early michone) into really bland ones because they have to sit around in service of the dogshit main characters

but also lol its been on for 100 years and i havent hate watched it in ages and apparently has an entirely different cast now

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

projecthalaxy posted:

The will smith one was so bad it chased away 4/5 of the potential audience for the sequel!

E: also probably a lot more people watched suicide squad 2 on hbomax than theaters and i don't know how that counts into its revenue?

Didn't the second one come out during the pandemic? That seems like a great way to kill sequel revenue. (It did look like a much better movie, though.)

How many movies has Margot Robbie played Harley Quinn in now? I feel like WB tried really, really hard to make her a tentpole character and I don't think it worked.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Mar 31, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

josh04 posted:

Yeah I watched the first one due to Smith and didn't bother with the second. Elba has had twenty years to prove he's a star and just can't do it, smith does it with ease

The only guy on smiths level of easy charisma is Tom Cruise and maybe tdj Even Pitt and Clooney can't do what they do

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Mar 31, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

indigi posted:

did it make more than the sequel released at the height of Delta? that’s crazy

would explain why it made less money in general, but in concert with the fact that it made less money than "Free Guy" and "Jungle Cruise" both released the same week, both starring tentpole actors, the conclusion is unavoidable.

Eric Cantonese posted:

How many movies has Margot Robbie played Harley Quinn in now? I feel like WB tried really, really hard to make her a tentpole character and I don't think it worked.

this is true though, rip harley quinn

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

josh04 posted:

would explain why it made less money in general, but in concert with the fact that it made less money than "Free Guy" and "Jungle Cruise" both released the same week, both starring tentpole actors, the conclusion is unavoidable.

did Free Guy and Jungle Cruise have same day vod

I truly do not understand people grasping for reasons to say Will Smith is more popular now than he was in the mid-late 90s. I get wanting to push back against “back in my day” narratives but the dude had a bonkers popular TV show, Bad Boys-Independence Day-Men in Black-Enemy of the State (and even WWW still opened at number one), had multiple songs charting on both rap and top 40, two top ten albums, and wasn’t solely discussed in relation to his wife. there’s absolutely no metric (including box office) by which he’s more culturally relevant now than he was then, he’s old and busted. I say this as someone who loved Bad Boys III and would put him in every Marvel and DC movie as different characters

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

oh he was definitely bigger back then, no argument there. tom cruise is probably a good comparison in terms of actors who have managed to hang onto their leading-man power past the era when they were huge and despite some high-profile flops.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Will Smith should be in the Face/Off sequel with Nic Cage how amazing would that be

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

josh04 posted:

oh he was definitely bigger back then, no argument there. tom cruise is probably a good comparison in terms of actors who have managed to hang onto their leading-man power past the era when they were huge and despite some high-profile flops.

The Mission Impossible movies are still a big deal, but even Tom Cruise is probably not what he once was either. Time catches up with all of us.

I do wonder if things might be different if he hadn't jumped on Oprah's couch.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do you think jumping on a couch or becoming the face of Scientology has done more damage to Tom Cruise

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

loquacius posted:

do you think jumping on a couch or becoming the face of Scientology has done more damage to Tom Cruise

I thought that was all the same thing. Like it was a "mask off" moment showing that Tom Cruise was a Xenu-hating nutjob in real life.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i saw the new ti west movie "x" and it loving ruled. very much a throwback to 70s horror with some grindhouse influence. definitely a great movie if you want to see two 80 year old psycho killers have passionate post-kill sex with all their grossness on display

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought that was all the same thing. Like it was a "mask off" moment showing that Tom Cruise was a Xenu-hating nutjob in real life.

eh maybe, in my memory he was excited about marrying Katie Holmes or something but maybe those were at the same time too

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Yes oprah and the crowd goaded him, and he jumped once. It was meme.

Cruise is a mimic.

He pushed the action star thing afterwards, and abandoned women movies. Because they laughed at him.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/NOTSeanMcCarthy/status/1508469931884650505?cxt=HHwWkoC9xaXalO8pAAAA

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i think tom cruise is just too obviously weird of a person to be a leading man in things like rom coms now

however being a little super secret agent man is right up his alley

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Femur posted:

Yes oprah and the crowd goaded him, and he jumped once. It was meme.

Cruise is a mimic.

He pushed the action star thing afterwards, and abandoned women movies. Because they laughed at him.

IIRC the meme of him jumping on the couch combined with "UNLIMITED POWER!!!" audio and shooting lightning at Oprah was a popular YTMND

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The new mission impossible was good, the one with the bathroom brawl with Witcher guy and the weird nukes.

Thats my tom cruise take

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

josh04 posted:

it's because they're both in the closet and their wives were bearsd or something

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Cruise will go down as the greatest actor of our generation, and it will not be close.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
cruise will mainly go down in history as mike hunt from mission impossible series imho

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

has cruise ever tried to do a range role or anything but his character? all i can think of are tropic thunder and eyes wide shut, which is debatable

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Femur posted:

Cruise will go down as the greatest stuntman of our generation, and it will not be close.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
American james bond is pretty big legacy.

Cruise's character is america's ego; he has more stories/quirks than people know, and once he is gone, there will be a lot of love and rememberance, and his 6 decade(probably) of solid work.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

he may be a creepy weirdo who thinks he's an immortal superhero but he also does recklessly endanger himself for the sake of promoting his work so I think that's admirable in a way, yeah

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Breakfast All Day posted:

has cruise ever tried to do a range role or anything but his character? all i can think of are tropic thunder and eyes wide shut, which is debatable

Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia? Color of money? idk, haven't seen that one. He was in a couple of real movies

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

he may be a creepy weirdo who thinks he's an immortal superhero but he also does recklessly endanger himself for the sake of promoting his work so I think that's admirable in a way, yeah
Atleast hell remember your name if you've met him, Better than the rest of the pshychos.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

i think tom cruise is just too obviously weird of a person to be a leading man in things like rom coms now

however being a little super secret agent man is right up his alley

yeah he apparently genuinely likes doing the absurd action stuff, like they literally wouldn’t/couldn’t do the stunt work they do in MI if Cruise wasn’t producing, because having the face of your franchise do enough skydives to get HALO qualified and then repeatedly do it irl for the film, or actually do a substantial number of the jumps off buildings (and delay production by wrecking their ankle) would be too big a financial risk

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Cruise will go down as the greatest stuntman of our generation, and it will not be close.

I feel like that title has to go to Johnny Knoxville (among recognizable celebrities at least)

LGD has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Mar 31, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

The new mission impossible was good, the one with the bathroom brawl with Witcher guy and the weird nukes.

Thats my tom cruise take

watched it on a flight, good plane movie

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

LGD posted:

I feel like that title has to go to Johnny Knoxville (among recognizable celebrities at least)

Have you seen the latest jackass film? He's pretty much done. The movie had a very "here's the new generation and we are too old for this poo poo" -vibe. Knoxville gets hit by a bull and breaks a rib, his wrist, and gets a concussion. After the hit you can hear him struggling to breathe, it's pretty rough

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

This is also my Tom Cruise take. Also, dude seems to have pretty good taste in scripts, which I would not expect from an unhinged egomaniac.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This is also my Tom Cruise take. Also, dude seems to have pretty good taste in scripts, which I would not expect from an unhinged egomaniac.

He gets good scripts because he has a really defined style, and his audience has expectations and people make stuff with him in mind.
It's a crazy feed back loop.

Tom Cruse is a Movie Actor. I mean as a person who pushes that Movie medium forward, the way a guitarist musician pushes guitar technique forward.
We live in a electronic world now, but there are still tiny pockets of weird neiche of guitar techniques to be discovered.
We live in a cgi world now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Q2MgdMskQ

Movies, that medium, what does it do best? Visual Movement.

Conversations, stories, sounds, it doesn't need to do those part that well. Think of still shots of talking heads in movies, plays were heard, and now podcasts fill that role. Comics-eh- because too many words on a page turns people off. Might as well be reading a book. Television gets away with it because the screens used to be so small, heads look good filling up the screen.

But film where the camera can stay with the subject and force the viewer to have one very close and personal point of view, now, that is the magic of film. If a body isn't moving, then than camera has to be moving, -cutting or swooping around, never resting.

That is why Tom Cruz runs. He knows that things have to move, so why not him?

I sold my sold
must be saved
Gonna take a walk down to Union Square
You never know who you're gonna find there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwHIs7IafD0

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

drat horror queefs posted:

Have you seen the latest jackass film? He's pretty much done. The movie had a very "here's the new generation and we are too old for this poo poo" -vibe. Knoxville gets hit by a bull and breaks a rib, his wrist, and gets a concussion. After the hit you can hear him struggling to breathe, it's pretty rough

well yeah, the dude is over 50 and has been at it for over two decades, and I think it's fair to say his style of work has subjected him to more wear and tear than, say, skydiving

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah I really appreciate him for it. the silver lining of Scientology

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

LGD posted:

it’s Jackie Chan and Knoxville and Cruise aren’t even within shouting distance

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

indigi posted:

it’s Jackie Chan and Knoxville and Cruise aren’t even within shouting distance

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

indigi posted: