Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im on strike today so i shall post in the union thread. found a lot of great resources from this thread early in my workplace's unionization effort, and now my workplace is wall-to-wall unionized and striking for our first contract. collective action ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In Training posted:

im on strike today so i shall post in the union thread. found a lot of great resources from this thread early in my workplace's unionization effort, and now my workplace is wall-to-wall unionized and striking for our first contract. collective action ftw.

:hai:

What Union/strike?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

“I’m glad the commies were thrown out of the AFL-CIO board”

https://youtu.be/3cdqQ2BdgOA

I actually thought his book was good! but he’s definitely a liberal that believes in Electoral Solutions alongside labor action

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

HELL YEAH

how’s the mood on the picket lines? getting a lot of community support?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

fuckin a'

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

Hope you all grab that bag.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks all. Community support has been amazing already and we'll be seeing soon what mgmt's response is and what kind of deal we'll get from this. Support has been coming from both random members of the public and a large smattering of political+activist orgs in the area, kind of nice to see that kind of solidarity play out right in front of your eyes since labor struggles are like catnip for leftist groups. As they should be

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

In Training posted:

gently caress yes my dude. that is INCREDIBLY difficult to do. get that knowledge, get that crew, get that paper.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

:patriot:

"low turnout" for general strike in India, as only 50 million people join :stare:
https://twitter.com/submedia/status/1509580167609561088
https://twitter.com/TheIntlMagz/status/1508818290361225221

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Mar 31, 2022

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
thread live reporting results from Amazon Labor Union at JFK8

https://twitter.com/UnionElections/status/1509587475320250371

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/amazonlabor/status/1509640083925786625

Where’s chuck todd when you need him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So what happens if this new ALU is formed and the bessemer campaign wins w/ RWDSU and the teamsters make good on their promise to try and run org drives at amazon warehouses...seems like it could result in friction/competition between different units to try and claim their slice of the Amazon pie rather than becoming a one big union Amazon national sweep. have ALU+RWDSU coordinated or communicated on anything? whats up with ALU anyway? today's a big day for results

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I’m sure that every union will be trying to get ALU to affiliate with them, and it’ll be up to the members whether or not that happens.

as to whether multiple unions will try to organize the same warehouses… hopefully not? rn the total scoreboard is ALU 1 everyone else 0 so I’d expect workers at various places to call ALU first instead of RWSDU or Teamsters because of that demonstrated success.

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Apr 1, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's happening

https://twitter.com/amazonlabor/status/1509905937229885472

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its_happening.gif

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

can't wait for the deluge of terrible opeds from the Washington Post

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
final numbers

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1509932355800211488

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

gently caress yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy poo poo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
april fools you union busting scab scumbags and all power to the fuckin workers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also of note the count was finished in the bessemer election, 875 YES - 993 NO, with 416 ballots challenged, meaning the challenged ballots will now be counted since they would determine the outcome of the election. im not sure in this instance how theyll swing but my gut (and limited experience) is that workers challenged by management for inclusion in the voter rolls tend Yes, since theyre being targeted/excluded by mgmt for a reason. itll be a few weeks now as the nlrb litigates the ballots but this could be two unionized workplaces for amazon in a month, with another election with ALU coming up in April. this year could get insane with organizational activity.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

money well spent!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In Training posted:

also of note the count was finished in the bessemer election, 875 YES - 993 NO, with 416 ballots challenged, meaning the challenged ballots will now be counted since they would determine the outcome of the election. im not sure in this instance how theyll swing but my gut (and limited experience) is that workers challenged by management for inclusion in the voter rolls tend Yes, since theyre being targeted/excluded by mgmt for a reason. itll be a few weeks now as the nlrb litigates the ballots but this could be two unionized workplaces for amazon in a month, with another election with ALU coming up in April. this year could get insane with organizational activity.

whats a "challenged ballot" in this context, like hanging chad fuckery?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

Amazon fired them for being pro-union and says they’re not eligible to vote. or they started too late for Amazon to say they’re eligible but they say they should be.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kingcobweb posted:

Amazon fired them for being pro-union and says they’re not eligible to vote. or they started too late for Amazon to say they’re eligible but they say they should be.

gently caress sake

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

either party can claim individuals as "challenged", staking out their position that they're ineligible to vote in the election bc their role or position falls outside the definition of the bargaining unit laid out in the NLRB petition for election. not sure what reasons exist for a union to ever challenge a worker's eligibility, but management wields this tool as a cudgel for voter suppression or straight disenfranchisement.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

in terms of vote counting, challenged voters can still cast a ballot in an election, but the ballots are only counted if the volume of unopened votes could change the outcome of the election. So if say the numbers for yes and no here were swapped they'd still open the challenge ballots bc the are of greater number than the current margin and could be like 400 straight No votes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Basically Obama can rot in hell for killing card check.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah

i suppose a union could challenge like scab votes if they were obvious enough about it

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

either party can claim individuals as "challenged", staking out their position that they're ineligible to vote in the election bc their role or position falls outside the definition of the bargaining unit laid out in the NLRB petition for election. not sure what reasons exist for a union to ever challenge a worker's eligibility, but management wields this tool as a cudgel for voter suppression or straight disenfranchisement.

company makes someone a manager with influence over hiring/firing but says they should be included in bargaining unit. union could challenge the ballot. it could happen here at Verizon over “acting managers” voting.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/mattmday/status/1509948145140068352

lol owned

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:yeshaha:

:qq: more fuckheads

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1508874180539863056

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

Basically Obama can rot in hell for killing card check.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

kingcobweb posted:

I’m sure that every union will be trying to get ALU to affiliate with them, and it’ll be up to the members whether or not that happens.

as to whether multiple unions will try to organize the same warehouses… hopefully not? rn the total scoreboard is ALU 1 everyone else 0 so I’d expect workers at various places to call ALU first instead of RWSDU or Teamsters because of that demonstrated success.
this will be very interesting

i still think their chance at a contract is exactly zero, but who knows. Not surprised they won.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1509892312398192641?cxt=HHwWgoCzmd7Dm_QpAAAA

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i really hate that article, and greenhouse is a motherfucker

smalls didn't do this. they had a 20 person organizing committee, god knows how many volunteers, and of course hundreds of supportive coworkers. he has said that over and over and over again to anyone who speaks with him. their social media has highlighted god knows how many people fighting against management throughout the process.

the loving new york times always wants to find a single person and say "this person unionized 'employer X'" and it's always bullshit, always wrong, and always playing into future narratives of outsiders or individuals pushing unions on workplaces

gently caress the new york times

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the whole loving point of unionizing is that it DOESN'T rely on one person. one person CANT do any of this. it makes ZERO sense to say poo poo like that. It's not technically, legally, fiscally, organizationally, or humanly possible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're setting up a hero so that when the NYPD disappears him the same media can label it a permanent blow to working class political development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i really hate that article, and greenhouse is a motherfucker

smalls didn't do this. they had a 20 person organizing committee, god knows how many volunteers, and of course hundreds of supportive coworkers. he has said that over and over and over again to anyone who speaks with him. their social media has highlighted god knows how many people fighting against management throughout the process.

the loving new york times always wants to find a single person and say "this person unionized 'employer X'" and it's always bullshit, always wrong, and always playing into future narratives of outsiders or individuals pushing unions on workplaces

gently caress the new york times

everything you’re saying is true, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have a Famous Labor Leader people look up to. what % of Americans can name the president of a union? maybe 10% have heard of Sara Nelson, tops.