Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

Probably some obvious ones in here

Loophole (1981)
The Great Train Robbery
Rififi
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Croupier
Gangster No 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

This is a little scattershot but most of these are newer.

Carlos (there's a 3-part miniseries version of this that I really enjoyed as well as a shorter film)
The Conformist
Investigation of a Citizen under Suspicion
The Hit
Le Trou
La Haine
The Lives of Others
A Prophet
Gomorra
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
The Pusher trilogy
Il Divo

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've seen some of these suggestions but not most of them. Lots of stuff to check out here, thanks all.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

BabyRyoga posted:

Depends on who is picking, tbh. We've had everything under the sun categorically over the course of 100ish picks during the pandemic doing them every week or two weeks.

There's barely watchable stuff like Manos, Love on a Leash, Ben and Arthur, etc. There's the horrible concept teen movie stuff like Chairman of the Board, Biodome, The Love Guru. The god-complex filmmaker stuff like anything Neil Breen. Oddball shock stuff like Desperate Living, Night Killer
Actual GOOD movies, like Vampire's Kiss, Rad, Breakin I and II. There's movies that have defied every bit of the universe's will to have them not exist, like Food Fight, and movies that should be good but weren't like Santa With Muscles and Uncle Sam. I've even tried showing some weird foreign movies in my more recent personal picks like Tarzaan the Wonder Car, Animal World, and Who Killed Captain Alex + Bad Black. It's basically a grab bag of will we have fun, will we need alcohol, or will we have a bad taste in our mouths for a few days.

I think we tend to prefer movies that will in some way be entertaining more than anything. I think one of my own least favorites is Manos, for sheer unwatchability.

it's not bad, but absurd and insane: Big Man Japan

for actual dogshit awful, but entertaining, try the polish Witcher movie from 2001.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I rewatched the first ten minutes or so of Enter the Void at 3:30am last night after giving up on trying to sleep. Yes, being a little bit high probably helped, but I really like the movie up to the shooting after which IIRC it gets pretty bad. The hyper-first person perspective complete with hearing thoughts and blinking, and the ensuing visual effects of the drug trip, I thought made for maybe the most effective depiction of the psychedelic experience I've seen on screen. When his phone rings, I could feel the anxiety of having your trip interrupted by what you already know has to be trouble. And of course that makes what happens next all the more jarring. I think the movie could've been actually really good if the beginning had the been the end of the film (with maybe some of the out-of-body stuff at the very end, instead of being the whole movie) and the rest of it had been the story of this guy's life as an expat drug dealer in Tokyo.

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic like the beginning of Enter the Void. Also a movie about an American expat criminal. I've seen Only God Forgives and it was really disappointing. There was such a singular focus on shocking violence it could've been about anything and anywhere.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic like the beginning of Enter the Void. Also a movie about an American expat criminal.

Midnight Express (1978) comes to mind.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic like the beginning of Enter the Void.

I can't remember the name, but it's an older movie about two people in a museum. Black and white. I thought it was something like One Night in Maricopa.

I'm sure one of the smarts here will know.

E: Solved below by kvlt! , Last Year at Marienbad

E: also, Certified Copy.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 30, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic

Southland Tales!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Southland Tales!

Saw it recently. One of the most insane things I've ever seen. Completely baffling, but you want to like it of course.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

It's not sci-fi, and it doesn't have a clear message, but I feel like Inland Empire is definitely going to scratch that itch.

It was shot on digital so it's physically hard on the eyes (especially due to its length), but there's a new remastered version coming out soon!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Box, also by Richard Kelly, is smaller than Southland Tales but I like it a lot more. Insane movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Last Year at Marienbad perhaps?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Kvlt! posted:

Last Year at Marienbad perhaps?

I'm not sure if you actually meant to reply to me, but that's 100% the movie I meant in my post above!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm not sure if you actually meant to reply to me, but that's 100% the movie I meant in my post above!

Oops yeah I accidentally replied to the wrong person, but glad I was able to solve the mystery! It's a great movie too!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gripweed posted:

Jupiter Ascending. Cloud Atlas.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Gripweed posted:

Zardoz

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Interstellar lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

definitely check out Annihilation

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
By sheer coincidence, I watched Last Year At Marienbad last night and loved it (not surprising if you've kept up with my previous posts in the thread.) However there was one element that made it a unique watch for me. I loved the way things would "echo" in the movie, for instance the way the opening narration repeats multiple times, or the movement in a scene would refer to previous dialogue. It felt almost like the cinematic equivalent of dub music or feedback or something. Taking a familiar element and twisting it into a new configuration. I'm not entirely sure if that articulates what I'm after, but is there anything like that out there at all? I almost feel like I'm asking more for video art recommendations versus pure cinema, but I've been kind of obsessed with this idea and I'm curious if it's been explored at all.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

magic cactus posted:

By sheer coincidence, I watched Last Year At Marienbad last night and loved it (not surprising if you've kept up with my previous posts in the thread.) However there was one element that made it a unique watch for me. I loved the way things would "echo" in the movie, for instance the way the opening narration repeats multiple times, or the movement in a scene would refer to previous dialogue. It felt almost like the cinematic equivalent of dub music or feedback or something. Taking a familiar element and twisting it into a new configuration. I'm not entirely sure if that articulates what I'm after, but is there anything like that out there at all? I almost feel like I'm asking more for video art recommendations versus pure cinema, but I've been kind of obsessed with this idea and I'm curious if it's been explored at all.

I think I've recommended it to you before and it doesn't *quite* fit, but I still think you'd really like Certified Copy if you haven't seen it yet

Another thing that doesn't exactly fit but kind of does, Dark Side of the Rainbow. You can probably find ready-made versions at the places one finds things.

Another partial fit, Inland Empire

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I think I've recommended it to you before and it doesn't *quite* fit, but I still think you'd really like Certified Copy if you haven't seen it yet

Another thing that doesn't exactly fit but kind of does, Dark Side of the Rainbow. You can probably find ready-made versions at the places one finds things.

Another partial fit, Inland Empire

I've seen Inland Empire but the other two are new to me. I'll check them out, thanks!

E: Just to clarify but you're talking about the Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz synch right? I've never actually seen it. I'll give it a go.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 8, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Yep that's the one. Some fun synchronicity.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

I think Lost Highway fits this better than Inland Empire. The entire movie is often described as a "Mobius strip", and multiple watches really reveal lots of moments like the stuff youre searching for

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

I think Lost Highway fits this better than Inland Empire. The entire movie is often described as a "Mobius strip", and multiple watches really reveal lots of moments like the stuff youre searching for

Yeah, Lynch was my first thought. Watching Marienbad, it's very clear it must have had a pretty big impact on his directorial style. I've seen all his stuff multiple times, but maybe approaching Lost Highway with Marienbad in mind will give me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I feel like a lot of Buñuel films are adjacent as well. The Exterminating Angel, That Obscure Object of Desire.

Maybe Bergman's Persona

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Yeah, Lynch was my first thought. Watching Marienbad, it's very clear it must have had a pretty big impact on his directorial style. I've seen all his stuff multiple times, but maybe approaching Lost Highway with Marienbad in mind will give me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

Lost Highway is a great film to rewatch in general, as you start to catch more things and become aware of the clues you think you're starting to piece it together until another puzzle piece doesn't fit and you have to re-imagine your entire theories. It's chasing a dragon since it's Lynch, there's never an official explanation, but the fun is coming up with your own theories and explanations.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like a lot of Buñuel films are adjacent as well. The Exterminating Angel, That Obscure Object of Desire.

Maybe Bergman's Persona

I've seen Bergman. Buñuel is someone I keep hearing about but oddly never get around to watching, I should probably fix that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That Obscure Object of Desire is probably in my all time top 10 and I feel like we have similar tastes based on your posts in this thread.

I just might have to pop in the blu ray tonight.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I just finished watching this. What a deeply strange film. So many quiet rug-pulls. I can see the Marienbad connection for sure. Thanks. This was the most interesting movie I've seen in a good while.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

magic cactus posted:

I just finished watching this. What a deeply strange film. So many quiet rug-pulls. I can see the Marienbad connection for sure. Thanks. This was the most interesting movie I've seen in a good while.

Ha, not sure if you liked it or not but glad it was at least engaging.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Ha, not sure if you liked it or not but glad it was at least engaging.

Oh no I really liked it! It's just the first time I've really seen... cinematography and editing as tools for a mind gently caress in and of itself, rather than in service of (say) a dreamlike plot or atmosphere. It felt like it was playing with my perception on multiple levels. What a strange and fascinating film. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm looking for movies like Assault on Precinct 13, Straw Dogs, Night of the Living Dead or even Green Room. Basically, people trapped and either defending themselves (or trying to escape) against intruders. I watched a movie called Siege (1981) on Shudder the other night that got me thinking about it and need to scratch that itch.

Searching for movies like those either returns lists of random 70s movies or zombie movies without the being trapped part of the equation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm looking for movies like Assault on Precinct 13, Straw Dogs, Night of the Living Dead or even Green Room. Basically, people trapped and either defending themselves (or trying to escape) against intruders. I watched a movie called Siege (1981) on Shudder the other night that got me thinking about it and need to scratch that itch.

Searching for movies like those either returns lists of random 70s movies or zombie movies without the being trapped part of the equation.

Assault on Precinct 13 is loosely based on Rio Bravo, so that's not a bad place to start

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Zulu might work

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Panic Room, You're Next, and mother! are all good, though the last of those is stretching things a bit.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sir Kodiak posted:

Panic Room, You're Next, and mother! are all good, though the last of those is stretching things a bit.

morestuff posted:

Assault on Precinct 13 is loosely based on Rio Bravo, so that's not a bad place to start

Awesome! I've seen Panic Room, but that gives me a few to watch. I've been wanting a decent western as well so I think I'll start by renting Rio Bravo on Prime tonight.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maybe throw Dredd on there too if you haven't seen that. While more often compared to The Raid or Die Hard, the movie has a John Carpenter vibe to it. And it's more low budget and suspense-y than all out action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can't go wrong with Aliens