Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

You only get one Zing.

Which was a weird part of the third where Dracula gets another True Love. And the fact the kids, as in like prek/grade school kids, the girl wants to see if they zing and the boy runs off.

Romcoms are poison unless done right, and so few are. Didn't they also make the term Friend Zone which is insanely seized by the incels as some kind of power chant.

The Friend Zone is a particular state of paralysis for young men who are convinced they only get one chance to make the Grand Romantic Gesture to their Love Interest, ie a woman they find attractive who seems to tolerate their company and thus they put excessive one-sided emotional investment into as The One.

You think wish fulfilment media is bad for making kids depressed they haven't gotten superpowers or a letter to Hogwarts or whatever by the time they're 16, or isekai for blatant pandering to media-poisoned nerds, romcoms have been giving the worst possible relationship advice for decades. Probably doesn't help all the templates were laid down by boomers, who got married basically just because you gotta marry someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

That Italian Guy posted:

*Ryan George voice*
Because otherwise the movie doesn't happen!

*Other Ryan George voice*
Oh, I'd like the movie to happen!

Yeah fair. There are always ways to write around this though, rather than 'actually the people are idiots'.

Like, one thing I did like about Passengers is that it would've been so easy to write in something about how the corporation is incompetent/corrupt/lovely, which caused or exacerbated the issue, but no - it's just real poo poo luck that a meteor struck where it did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Friend Zone is a particular state of paralysis for young men who are convinced they only get one chance to make the Grand Romantic Gesture to their Love Interest, ie a woman they find attractive who seems to tolerate their company and thus they put excessive one-sided emotional investment into as The One.

You think wish fulfilment media is bad for making kids depressed they haven't gotten superpowers or a letter to Hogwarts or whatever by the time they're 16, or isekai for blatant pandering to media-poisoned nerds, romcoms have been giving the worst possible relationship advice for decades. Probably doesn't help all the templates were laid down by boomers, who got married basically just because you gotta marry someone.

Hell, even Sabrina the Teenage Witch (specifically the 90s series) dodged the bullets or tried to, by making clear that while Sabrina may only have one soul mate, she has multiple true loves. Only one person is absolutely PERFECT for her, but even if she'd never met them she'd still have plenty of people who genuinely loved her and that she'd love back (which is implied because in the penultimate season she gives up her love life entirely to save her aunt from a weird curse, and every person she ever fell in love with contacts her one after another to explain why they can't be with her anymore, from Josh going abroad to pursue his journalism career to Harvey having to concentrate on his own poo poo). Also even when not actively dating them she still has friendly interactions with some of the male cast including the few exes that are still relevant. Hell, Harvey's at his best when he's NOT dating her, as in the last few seasons he has way more to do as a character as he isn't just the love interest and he has full knowledge of the Spellman Family Witches and their extended community because memory spells don't work on him anymore due to him being saturated in them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah just a line or two about how the company didn’t put any of those measures in place because idk the project was running over budget already and they didn’t want to cut into profits or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell, Harvey's at his best when he's NOT dating her, as in the last few seasons he has way more to do as a character as he isn't just the love interest and he has full knowledge of the Spellman Family Witches and their extended community because memory spells don't work on him anymore due to him being saturated in them.

Did the original show have mortal friends who know about Sabrina's magic? It doesn't seem like, but from what I've heard of late-season Harvey he's comedy gold, especially for the dynamic he has with Salem. (also, makes so much sense that they wiped his memory so much it stopped taking) Then again, shows like that are best when they're not so married to the status quo that characters never get to evolve naturally.

Actually, teen dramas seem less fixated on fairytale One True Loves specifically because they're at least supposedly trying to emulate tumultuous relationships. Spider-man also comes to mind, where Gwen Stacy still has a major impact on Peter Parker's life and mindset even long after her death, but that doesn't stop Mary Jane being his love interest going forward. (til the editor has a fit about Spider-man growing up, anyway)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Did the original show have mortal friends who know about Sabrina's magic? It doesn't seem like, but from what I've heard of late-season Harvey he's comedy gold, especially for the dynamic he has with Salem. (also, makes so much sense that they wiped his memory so much it stopped taking) Then again, shows like that are best when they're not so married to the status quo that characters never get to evolve naturally.

Actually, teen dramas seem less fixated on fairytale One True Loves specifically because they're at least supposedly trying to emulate tumultuous relationships. Spider-man also comes to mind, where Gwen Stacy still has a major impact on Peter Parker's life and mindset even long after her death, but that doesn't stop Mary Jane being his love interest going forward. (til the editor has a fit about Spider-man growing up, anyway)

It was mostly Harvey, I don't think the other's got clued in, although I never watched the final season so don't know if that changed. It was established though that being too intertwined was kind of dangerous for them though, because Harvey got put through the ringer by the Spellman matriarch as she didn't trust him with their secret (although he passed her test due to his honesty and unwillingness to just tell her what he thought she wanted to hear, so she was fine with him being a part of the extended family by the end of the episode.)

I think a personal favourite episode was the one with the rear end in a top hat english teacher who pissed off all three of the Spellmans individually as they tried to deescalate the situation, with each time the cauldron they are planning around gets bigger and bigger. At first it's just Sabrina with a tiny personal sized cauldron on the kitchen table preparing a hasty revenge, then Hilda joins her in a later scene with a cauldron that takes up the whole kitchen island's surface, then after the teacher gets Zelda mad by accusing her family of being dysfunctional the cauldron has completely replaced the table as all three plan an elaborate and cruel revenge that will give the teacher his Just Desserts. That punishment being that he will be stuck being an English teacher his entire life. Certainly, every class he teaches will be miserable in his presence, but they'll get to graduate and leave the school, while any attempt the teacher makes to improve his lot in life will fall flat.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Mar 31, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Being a vigilante is bad.

Unless you are born into both royalty and superpowers, obviously.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Steel has a scene where Shaq goes into a VA halfway house because he needs the technical expertise of his old friend who was injured in an accident and is a paraplegic now. When she says no he just picks her up wheelchair and all and carries her bodily to a janky secret hq in a dump that she can't leave because it's an actual dump and there's no ramps or anything.

Heroic music plays while this happens.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The only scene I remember from Steel was where his handicapped friend straps rockets to her wheelchair so she can move, uh, faster.

Edit: Well, my memory was fuzzy, but here's what I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt131v9gMF8&t=60s

God it makes me feel as awkward now as it did twenty years ago.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Mar 31, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah she straps a bunch of rockets and junk to a chair and shoes up in a random fight near the end to spin, fire sparks all over, and accomplish nothing.

The best thing about Steel is that he doesn't use the hammer as a hammer, ever. He uses it as a magnet once and as a gun thing, but never actually swings the hammer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Rape was used as comeuppance for female characters in 80s comedies, like the aforementioned Revenge of the Nerds, and also Sixteen Candles where she gets scalped first.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't The Friend Zone from that godawful Ladder Theory of the early 2000s? Just the absolute worst, most juvenile understanding of friendships and relationships. I remember the phrase "Intellectual Whores" which always made me laugh, like girls just getting all hot and bothered for Wittgenstein or some poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Antioch posted:

Wasn't The Friend Zone from that godawful Ladder Theory of the early 2000s? Just the absolute worst, most juvenile understanding of friendships and relationships. I remember the phrase "Intellectual Whores" which always made me laugh, like girls just getting all hot and bothered for Wittgenstein or some poo poo.

The first time I was aware of it was on Scrubs where they had a whole episode based on 'if you don't make a romantic move on the girl by X time you will be friendzoned forever'.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Women evaluate potential sexual partners in a matter of seconds and then never revisit that decision.

This is because they are speedrunners. I know this because on more than one occasion I've spotted them clipping through geometry and glitching through cutscenes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That woman glitched through the floor not because she wanted to get away from me no sir

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Men, on the other hand, are proficient at speed running sexual encounters (50% completion).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Rape was used as comeuppance for female characters in 80s comedies,
And children's films in the late aughts

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

And children's films in the late aughts

I know Harry Potter, do I want to know what else?

Twilight, right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Uh, who got raped in Harry Potter?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Uh, who got raped in Harry Potter?

The mean teacher in the pink suit gets carried off by centaurs, which are extremely rapey creatures even compared to the rest of Greek mythology.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Breetai posted:

Men, on the other hand, are proficient at speed running sexual encounters (50% completion).

You said you wouldn't tell.

:negative:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Crowetron posted:

The mean teacher in the pink suit gets carried off by centaurs, which are extremely rapey creatures even compared to the rest of Greek mythology.

She comes back all brain damaged and ahegao looking too.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I'm glad that was the only problematic thing about the writing of JK Rowling.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean there was also Merope Gaunt's thing but I am still surprised/sarcasm that love potions are totally fine in Harry Potter world.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

JK Rowling: no sense of right and wrong!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She's just British.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She's just British.

No, even some of our Potter fans hate Rowling now.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Crowetron posted:

How is all this poo poo from the books coming out now? I only read the first one decades ago but it seems like every few months someone mentions “Oh yeah, and Dooby is an elf slave and the only Asian character’s name is Choo Chang”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because when a thing is popular people just choose not to care about any of the stuff that might suggest it's bad, actually.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How is all this poo poo from the books coming out now? I only read the first one decades ago but it seems like every few months someone mentions “Oh yeah, and Dooby is an elf slave and the only Asian character’s name is Choo Chang”

Because if I remember right the racist wizard that hates anything that isn't a pureblood human wizard gets attacked and drug off by a group of centaurs for trespassing. She's later seen in a hospital with shock

The internet then went "oh yeah she was raped by them"

But it's been about a decade since I read the books last and my memory is poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People got their revenge on J.K Rowling by mispronouncing her name.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Len posted:

Because if I remember right the racist wizard that hates anything that isn't a pureblood human wizard gets attacked and drug off by a group of centaurs for trespassing. She's later seen in a hospital with shock

But it's been about a decade since I read the books last and my memory is poo poo

Yeah the books do not suggest she was raped and this is the first time I've heard this idea
Shaun did an in depth video of the problems in the books that I think is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

She has an ultra liberal mindset where systemic change is undesirable because there are no systemic problems, just bad actors. We don't need to abolish slavery, just be kinder slave masters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

She has an ultra liberal mindset where systemic change is undesirable because there are no systemic problems, just bad actors. We don't need to abolish slavery, just be kinder slave masters.

Which is itself bad enough, as she famously wrote the first book in a cheap coffee shop while on welfare struggling to feed her kids. So she's actually a freed slave arguing that slavery is fine and that no other slaves need to be free.

Also she's a loving TERF.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

How is all this poo poo from the books coming out now?
"The most hated villain in HP got dragged off to be raped by centaurs" is not a "just now" realization, that was a known thing even before JKR's public turn to TERFdom.

It's more likely to be brought up now because that's how cultural osmosis works; hurray you're one of the people to have just learned about it

(most hated because everyone has experienced a Dolores Umbridge, few people have interacted with a Wizard Hitler)

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Apr 1, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
As a kid the rape stuff didn’t occur to me i just knew the teacher was an evil racist.

Edit : Evil nazi child abusing racist

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I remember as a young person reading the part where she gets dragged off and it seemed super hosed up. I don't know why Jo Anne deserves the benefit of the doubt from anyone at this point

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

As a kid the rape stuff didn’t occur to me i just knew the teacher was an evil racist.

Edit : Evil nazi child abusing racist
Nah, Umbridge was a lib. She isn't even allied with the actual villain or even in agreement with ol' V, she's just enforcing decorum in her own special managerial bureaucratic way

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Breetai posted:

We prefer to call that "any %".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, that's where Dolores Umbridge comes from? I've occasionally heard people respond with that name when someone uses the word umbrage. I thought it was something from Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Almost everyone we know is a Harry Potter fan and I'm still finding out weird poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

Nah this is pretty accurate, just the internet being the internet. I figured at worst she got road-hauled out of the forest.

FFT posted:

Nah, Umbridge was a lib. She isn't even allied with the actual villain or even in agreement with ol' V, she's just enforcing decorum in her own special managerial bureaucratic way

Umbridge is also what Rowling seems oblivious that she turned into.