Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The difference between the two is that H3liod focuses on artifact combos and ETB triggers to carve out a place in the midrange Stax space and provide more of a threat in the game rather than an obstacle. Charles list is 100% “gently caress This Game” hellstaxx on staxx craxkx. His deck runs staxx that I would not and could not run if I wanted my deck to function. It requires you to be willing to drag every game out, which means you have to assume that there won’t be any midrange green decks like Pako and Razaketh to eat your lunch, or even worse WINOTA or Minsc to just use all of your cards to further their own game plan and combo out over top of you. There was very little of that, at least as far as I can see. I think both Heliods could have done equally well except that in this meta, H3liod would probably just fold outright to Magda unless it hit Needle/Revoker/Saga/Tutor/Cage in the first turn or 2, I would mull to 4 for any of those cards vs Maggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's probably already been mentioned, but I was reading through CL2 product descriptions and the precons come with a 2 card collector's booster, and none of the new commanders in the set are going to have partner.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Time to ask a stupid question cause I just can't seem to find the answer to save my life and it's for a commander deck so why not do it here. Does Urza, Lord High Artificer turn off any artifact when tapped or only those that say or have been erratad to say when untapped do x? For example, I know Urza can turn off static and winter orb, but can you avoid the effects of smokestack or tangle wire the same way? I can't imagine it does but someone in my play group wants it work that way and I can't find anything specific about it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Static artifact effects are only deactivated if the card specifically says so. It used to be that any artifact being tapped would shut it off, but that is no longer the case.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^ any artifact being tapped and deactivating it was a super early mechanic, like beta, wasn't it?

Played a game with my new Shorikai vehicles deck and drat does it feel good when your board is popping off.

Got boardwiped twice, and both following turns my board just filled up immediately like nothing happened :getin:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Mono artifacts needed to be untapped to have their effect, like howling mine and winter orb. After a few years they changed it and got rid of the “mono” type, updated the text on the cards to denote they needed to be untapped and never looked back.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Thanks all. Guess it's a good thing that we can't just be super one sided stacked out of the game. Only mostly

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Seems like going wide is shaping up to pay off in this set

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Raffine is weird but probably good, Jetmir I have no idea how to evaluate, Xander is extremely disappointing because he targets instead of hitting each opponent.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Three devastating triggers on ETB, on attacks, and on death are disappointing because they don't hit everybody?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Raffine is weird but probably good, Jetmir I have no idea how to evaluate, Xander is extremely disappointing because he targets instead of hitting each opponent.

He also costs a gorillion mana.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Heath posted:

Three devastating triggers on ETB, on attacks, and on death are disappointing because they don't hit everybody?

For 7 mana, he should be devestating to all opponents. He should be a win condition one he hits the field. As it stands, you basically need to go infinite to be able to strip your opponents down, and even then they're left with their best card and their best creature. He's really bad as is

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

berenzen posted:

For 7 mana, he should be devestating to all opponents. He should be a win condition one he hits the field. As it stands, you basically need to go infinite to be able to strip your opponents down, and even then they're left with their best card and their best creature. He's really bad as is

That's stupid

You guys have such weird outsized expectations for the game and I don't get it. Like if you want a commander to just win when you get to turn 7, you can play to turn 7 and just end the game there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

berenzen posted:

For 7 mana, he should be devestating to all opponents. He should be a win condition one he hits the field.

:thunk:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Why does this Italian cat not have an Italian mafia name and nickname, and why the gently caress is this cat not gorging itself on loving Lasagna????? :mad:

Heath posted:

You guys have such weird outsized expectations for the game and I don't get it. Like if you want a commander to just win when you get to turn 7, you can play to turn 7 and just end the game there.

I personally enjoy EDH when you find new ways to have cards, old into new, synergize with one another either into some devastating effect, that can win the game, or just slap some people around out of nowhere. Having cards that just act as "I win" buttons are really boring to me and eventually those cards become unplayable in the sense no one wants to play against it, or it's just auto targeted for removal as soon as it hits the field making it nigh unplayable. I think the Collector is a decent balance that he's risky as gently caress to bring out, has a pretty high pay off if you can keep him alive. That's an exciting risk to go for. If you want his middle ability to hit everyone else, you just equip blade of selves to give him myriad, and give him shadow or something to have him get through.

Edit: Lmao he doesn't even need to deal damage! He just has to attack, so yeah Blade of Selves that guy and everyone else has to mill half their library.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 31, 2022

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Glad to see Fat Cat got up to something after outlasting the Rescue Rangers.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Robviously posted:

God damnit I had this exact thing on my mind

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Why does this Italian cat not have an Italian mafia name and nickname, and why the gently caress is this cat not gorging itself on loving Lasagna????? :mad:

I personally enjoy EDH when you find new ways to have cards, old into new, synergize with one another either into some devastating effect, that can win the game, or just slap some people around out of nowhere. Having cards that just act as "I win" buttons are really boring to me and eventually those cards become unplayable in the sense no one wants to play against it, or it's just auto targeted for removal as soon as it hits the field making it nigh unplayable. I think the Collector is a decent balance that he's risky as gently caress to bring out, has a pretty high pay off if you can keep him alive. That's an exciting risk to go for. If you want his middle ability to hit everyone else, you just equip blade of selves to give him myriad, and give him shadow or something to have him get through.

Edit: Lmao he doesn't even need to deal damage! He just has to attack, so yeah Blade of Selves that guy and everyone else has to mill half their library.

Blade of Selves makes tokens that are tapped and attacking, so they would not trigger the "When X attacks" trigger. Helm of the Host would give you a non-legendary token to get a second trigger with.

E:

Blade of Selves tokens would still be legendary, so you'd get to pop 'em all (keeping the real one) and get as many death triggers as there are opponents, lol.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 31, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can get his ETB off of Blade of Selves, however. And you can stack the triggers however you like because it's targeted. There's also that new Kamigawa Legendary Rule card to play around with too.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Jiro posted:

A) He's legendary, so it's not like you get to attack with 3 copies of him, and B) Blade of Selves puts them into play tapped and attacking, so you don't get multiple attack triggers. You will get multiple etb triggers I guess if you want people to discard a couple more cards, but that seems a waste.

I'm just looking at this guy and thinking that any time that in 99% of situations, Nicol Bolas God Pharaoh is the better play.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

berenzen posted:

A) He's legendary, so it's not like you get to attack with 3 copies of him, and B) Blade of Selves puts them into play tapped and attacking, so you don't get multiple attack triggers. You will get multiple etb triggers I guess if you want people to discard a couple more cards, but that seems a waste.

I'm just looking at this guy and thinking that any time that in 99% of situations, Nicol Bolas God Pharaoh is the better play.

Yeah, but that dude can't be your commander.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

berenzen posted:

You will also get 3 of his death trigger.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is this what power creep does to people, where they won't even get out of bed for a creature in the command zone that doesn't just either win the game outright or at least lock everybody else out of the game for seven Mana? It's not difficult at all to get 7 (or more) Mana pretty early on in Commander. That's hardly a prohibitive cost.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

Making one of your three opponents discard 3 or less cards and then later having them sac half their nonland permanents is not enough for 7 mana. Milling half their library helps them more often than it hurts.

This guy is not good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Robviously posted:

New secret lair alert! Chip is $15, Dale is $20, Monterey Jack is $3, Gadget is only available in the $160 bundle.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

Is this what power creep does to people, where they won't even get out of bed for a creature in the command zone that doesn't just either win the game outright or at least lock everybody else out of the game for seven Mana? It's not difficult at all to get 7 (or more) Mana pretty early on in Commander. That's hardly a prohibitive cost.

Compare him to the other things you can do for 7 mana, even 5+ years ago.

His death ability is decent but that's basically it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I mean, god forbid you actually have to work for an outcome in this game :rolleyes: I turned six cards sideways guys, why shouldn't I win?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

I mean, god forbid you actually have to work for an outcome in this game :rolleyes: I turned six cards sideways guys, why shouldn't I win?

I'm sorry that people expect expensive cards to be good and not just mildly inconvenience one opponent?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

You will also get 3 of his death trigger.

Doesn't matter if people only have 1 creature.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

berenzen posted:

Doesn't matter if people only have 1 creature.
If your opponents only have one nonland permanent and you played and cloned a 7-drop, they're probably about to combo off or they're so far behind it doesn't matter.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm sorry that people expect expensive cards to be good and not just mildly inconvenience one opponent?

You're complaining that you can't have a one card win con in the command zone. I'm sorry, that is beyond stupid.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Probably not a novel observation, but this guy and Hazezon Tamar are going to be best buds

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The Esper one seems like a fresh take on that color combo. I dig it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

You're complaining that you can't have a one card win con in the command zone. I'm sorry, that is beyond stupid.

I, too, like to make poo poo up to get mad at.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Heath posted:

That was berenzen. The Shortest Path is just saying he's weak; I don't entirely agree but I don't think he's amazing or anything. Definitely flashy and can synergize with a lot of things, but that also makes him liable to be a hate magnet when he hits the table.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framboise posted:

The Esper one seems like a fresh take on that color combo. I dig it.

Yeah its very different from previous Esper commanders. I like the incentive to go wide in these colors.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Elysiume posted:

That was berenzen. The Shortest Path is just saying he's weak; I don't entirely agree but I don't think he's amazing or anything. Definitely flashy and can synergize with a lot of things, but that also makes him liable to be a hate magnet when he hits the table.

There are lots of commanders that exist that are less expensive and more impactful that exist in the command zone. This guy is weak as poo poo and I have no idea why you would ever play him as a commander, as there are a plethora of better commanders that exist in grixis, even on a mid-level scale. A 7 mana 6/6 target player discards 2 with no protection, evasion or kill threat was a dogshit commander 4 years ago, let alone now. And he's even worse in the 99. If he at least hit the whole field then at least he would've had some form of viability.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Elysiume posted:

Apologies. I don't think he's necessarily amazing either, but I don't think he's bad. But I really hate the attitude that every new card has to be some insane powerhouse or just straight up win outright simply because you paid enough mana for it.

berenzen posted:

There are lots of commanders that exist that are less expensive and more impactful that exist in the command zone. This guy is weak as poo poo and I have no idea why you would ever play him as a commander, as there are a plethora of better commanders that exist in grixis, even on a mid-level scale. A 7 mana 6/6 target player discards 2 with no protection, evasion or kill threat was a dogshit commander 4 years ago, let alone now. And he's even worse in the 99. If he at least hit the whole field then at least he would've had some form of viability.

You sound like a blast to play with, guy who hates fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

berenzen posted:

Which Grixis commanders do you feel are immediately more impactful at a similar CMC?