Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The discord FAQ specifically states there will be no non-Steam version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Slay The Spire will be part of April's PlayStaion Plus games.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I’ve played hundreds of hours on console and I’ve picked up a free PC copy, but the controller support (with an Xbox series controller) seems extremely messed up — either it doesn’t respond at all, or by fiddling with the Steam settings for half an hour I was able to make it recognize my inputs but the arrow for selecting enemies to attack was all the way off the screen for some reason. I can’t play with a mouse — anybody else play with controller on PC and can share their settings?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone tell me what's going on with seeds? I decided, for fun, to copy a run on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgChPcW0yQ

I copied the seed and put it into my game. Everything is identical up until the first question-mark event, which is the trade-for-a-relic one. Jorbs trades a Heavy Blade and gets a Juzu Bracelet. I trade a Heavy Blade and get a Nunchucku.

The fight against tri-sentries proceeds exactly the same way, but he gets Training Dummy and I get Bottled Flame. Our card reward choices are identical.

What am I doing wrong here? It's the same game version, and I don't have anything left to unlock. I made sure to copy exactly his actions/cards.

Are relics randomised beyond just the seed?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zephro posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone tell me what's going on with seeds? I decided, for fun, to copy a run on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgChPcW0yQ

I copied the seed and put it into my game. Everything is identical up until the first question-mark event, which is the trade-for-a-relic one. Jorbs trades a Heavy Blade and gets a Juzu Bracelet. I trade a Heavy Blade and get a Nunchucku.

The fight against tri-sentries proceeds exactly the same way, but he gets Training Dummy and I get Bottled Flame. Our card reward choices are identical.

What am I doing wrong here? It's the same game version, and I don't have anything left to unlock. I made sure to copy exactly his actions/cards.

Are relics randomised beyond just the seed?

Ascension count also affects what happens, did you copy that too?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arivia posted:

Ascension count also affects what happens, did you copy that too?
Yup, same ascension level.

It turns out I have one relic left to unlock, Melange, which makes sense since I hardly ever play Watcher. Melange doesn't come up in his run (it's an Ironclad run) but I guess if the game is using the seed to skip n steps down a relic list to generate rewards or something, and I've got one that's ineligible, maybe that's throwing it off...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zephro posted:

Yup, same ascension level.

It turns out I have one relic left to unlock, Melange, which makes sense since I hardly ever play Watcher. Melange doesn't come up in his run (it's an Ironclad run) but I guess if the game is using the seed to skip n steps down a relic list to generate rewards or something, and I've got one that's ineligible, maybe that's throwing it off...

Yep, if there's any difference in unlocks the seeds will diverge

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I'm angry. Angry about draws.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Walla posted:

The perfect Ironclad deck is Thunderclap, Rage and 2x Dropkick. It's so hard to get there though.

Actually it's Uppercut, Searing Blow +7 and Necronomicurse. Simply push button to win.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love this game and need to play it more

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mymla posted:

I'm angry. Angry about draws.

lol

at least you get the dopamine of seeing them all exhaust

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Got bored of losing as Silent and Defect last night so I went ahead and did Ironclad for something different.

Act 1 boss I drew Corruption because why not.
Act 2 chest gave me Dead Branch.
A shop in Act 3 gave me double Feel No Pain from Courier.

Sometimes the game just wants you to win.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Misplayed on Heart and would've killed it otherwise. Getting the hang of Hermit.

Observations from this particular run:
  • Tungsten Rod and Rugged have an obvious, but great, interaction.
  • I had two separate scaling paths, +damage from Deadeye, Brawl, and Smoking Barrel (feeding into Ricochet/Spray n' Pray), and thinning my deck to create huge From Beyond turns.
  • I drafted Coalescence but never managed to find a proper use for it, and I never managed to draw it at the same time as a Roundhouse Kick.
  • Retain is even more important than draw effects for a deck that wants to trigger Dead On as often as possible.
  • Gambit is an AMAZING card. Instant draft if I ever see it.

Some general thoughts after multiple runs with the character.

• Some of the common attacks are VERY GOOD. Spray & Pray is great if you have any sort of Strength scaling, and cooperates nicely with Smoking Barrel and sources of Bruise. High-Caliber feeds into Maintenance/Showdown builds. Called Shot, upgraded, is free damage and drawing two cards helps trigger other Dead On effects.
  • Other common attacks aren't great but are conditionally very good. Misfire kills a draw but creates a curse for you to burn with other effects, or feed into From Beyond. Itchy Trigger is clunky but if it hits an expensive card creates a TON of value. Quickdraw helps with triggering Dead On but the drawback can really hurt in elite/boss fights (though it probably goes great with Coalescence). Tracking Shot is good if you don't have a lot of retain/draw to manipulate your hand for Dead On. Wide Open is bad.
  • Cheat and Dead Man's Hand are instant drafts for me. Being able to conditionally pull your strongest cards is vital, and along that line Fatal Desire is nearly an instant draft and the Injury basically doesn't matter.
  • The Strike/Defend deck is funny to play: High-Caliber, Body Armor, Maintenance, Showdown, Take Cover, Fully Loaded, High Noon, Short Fuse. Give it a shot!
  • Overwhelming Power and Eternal Form feel almost like worse versions of Velvet Collar. I think there's some way to take advantage of these two cards but I haven't really found it yet. Overwhelming Power + Black Wind I guess, and Eternal Form + Lone Wolf to keep on squeezing value out of your turns.
  • Reprieve is Hermit's Grand Finale but more playable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol you can play Hermit cards mid-card-draw, if you're quick, and get the Dead On bonuses if applicable. just got bonus energy by playing an Enervate in card position 1 while playing a Covet from position 3

i guess it's a bit similar to how the Champ can get combo bonuses for stances previously held during the turn; the mod creators're kind of pushing the design parameters of the Spire engine

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol you can play Hermit cards mid-card-draw, if you're quick, and get the Dead On bonuses if applicable.

:clint:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
QTEs? In MY deckbuilder roguelike?!

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Idk how i feel about hermit. I feel like im conditioned to skip defends/strikes stuff (abd theres like idk 6 cards that go with it?). Seems like bruise or debuff > str buff is the way to go. Theres one cards thats like draw 13 curses in one turn 🙂 and im just baffled why i would have 13 curses anyways. Ill have to try a proper high noon strike defend deck later but it just sounds lame when all his other cards are pretty sweet and fun

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
wow I've never played modded StS before because I always kinda assumed any modded stuff would be hot garbage w/r/t balance but Downfall owns. The Snecko boss character does actually feel wildly overpowered but everything else is at least in the same ball park.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Any best-of-the-best mod recommendations?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eason the Fifth posted:

Downfall is really the big one and has like 7 full characters integrated and a new mode where you play in reverse with the bosses being the OG StS characters and Neow.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Best mods:

Googly Eyes

slay the spire mod where everything is the same but ironclad has a cowboy hat

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

I personally have a lot of fun with the Marisa custom class mod, moreso than the Hermit, Servant (i.e. Sakuya), and Arknights mods. The main conceit is charging up, of which you gain one with every card played and gets spent by the eight to double the damage of an attack. Besides that, there's also Amplify, which is a kicker cost that enhances the effect at an extra cost. Both these mechanics are pretty straightforward, but create some depth in sequencing optimally because you're required to pay them if you can afford it. It's the only custom character I've enjoyed enough to grind out ascension 20, at any rate.

Besides that, Spire with Friends is an extremely fun co-op StS game mode. When the main streamer I follow happens to play StS, he'll host either a co-op or versus race with viewers, which are a lot of fun to join in.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

For basic QOL stuff:
Block Reminder
Colored Map
Colored Powertips
Googly Eyes
Highlight Paths
Rare Cards Sparkle

And finally, there's Minty Spire

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also shout out to Robot Space Explorer because its just kind of a cute kid/dad project where the kid came up with the idea for a new character and did a bunch of card art and dad fully finished out a mod to make it playable.

Also fun to play, if definitely on the stronger side for a mod character.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Minty Spire has some good quality-of-life enhancements. It has reminders for stuff like echo form, shows what you will no longer have enough gold for if you buy something in a shop and a bunch of others.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I did it, I finally got a searing blow deck all the way to the heart!

Dunno if that heart fight was winnable but I came drat close.

Edit: I blame the lack of act 2 fires.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
It was really satisfying to beat the Heart with a 3 energy deck (thanks Pandora/Pyramid!). Phrog/Combust helped me squeak by Slime Boss with 14hp then the deck just kept getting more and more OP. I only had Headbutt, Clothesline, Bash, Anger, and Strikes for attacks in Act 1.

Pain/Blue Candle/Bloodletting/Combustion + 2x Rupture for Strength, Master of Strategy/Battle Trance/Dark Embrace/Burning Pact for draw, Seeing Red/Bloodletting for energy. Gambler's brew + Bag of Prep always gave me a great starting hand.

Still had two potions and lizards tail at the end. Such a fun deck to pilot

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I've been pretty happy with Spire mods in general, evenly the badly balanced ones I've tried were fun to experiment with - there's not a lot of "Do 100 damage for 1 energy", it's more along the lines of the creator not knowing how good exhaust really is, or similar.

Anyway, aside from the ones already mentioned these are some of the characters I've enjoyed trying out:
The Bug Knight (based on Hollow Knight, but still pretty good)
The Sidereal
Jorb's Wanderer Trilogy
The Marked
The Heirophant
The Disciple
The Runesmith

And of course:
everything is the same but u backflip on backflip

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Great, thanks for the suggestions

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Is there a mod that lets you do the daily challenge without having to quit your current run? It seems dumb that you can't have multiple going at once.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
With the downfall mod - is there anything I have to do to unlock the next class. I've got through the three acts with Snecko, but not getting another character?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Snecko is the last one iirc.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

With the downfall mod - is there anything I have to do to unlock the next class. I've got through the three acts with Snecko, but not getting another character?

If you're looking for Hermit, they're in normal mode, not Downfall mode.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Maaan, I keep dying on Heart with Hermit. I can easily get a ton of value, enough to steamroll the rest of the game, but I can't seem to get enough of a combo engine going to power up enough to take out the Heart before I get worn down.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you think you know everything about this game, this is the mod for you!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Everything in downfall seems crazy OP. I think the creator(s) just like cards that make cards, like a lot. They also have a clear idea for what each character wants to do, but I think they make it too easy to do that thing.

This is my 2nd ever run with Hermit:

Basically, Overwhelming Power is just a ridiculous card, basically 0 downside, just a big pile of free, with a helping of free on the side. Free cards, free energy. I had 2 of them. Between that and free vulnerable every 1st turn, I was able to kill something with Dead or Alive+ on turn 1 every single fight. I had to add a few other cards to deal with multiple enemies but it didn't matter. I killed 5 elite in a row without taking damage. Chemical X was just overkill for everything but bosses.

Combo is kinda the same deal, but you have to work a tiny bit harder to go off with it and it might just flood your deck with lovely block cards if you're super unlucky.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Spire in general doesn't feel like much of a challenge anymore after so much playing and the mod characters are definitely stronger than the vanilla ones. It's why I use mods like Humility, Corrupt The Spire, Infinite Spire and Ascension Reborn to really jack up the difficulty and allow looping in normal runs. I also play multiplayer via Together In Spire with my partner pretty often and that's another way to ratchet up the challenge as the mod lets you adjust enemy hp and damage multipliers based on player count. I usually go 150% more per player and 30% more damage.

Despite all this, Intangible is _still_ broken, removes all concept of defense and I want a mod that severely nerfs it for players. I'd personally change it to a 33% damage reduction effect that can stack up to 3 times but loses all stacks on turn end. I can also just not take any sources of intangible I guess, but eventually the incoming damage becomes too much for anything but pure block decks to handle and the hp so high + 15 card limit you can't one-turn-kill them, so some sources of percent-based damage reduction would be really nice without being flat out busted like Intangible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

Everything in downfall seems crazy OP. I think the creator(s) just like cards that make cards, like a lot. They also have a clear idea for what each character wants to do, but I think they make it too easy to do that thing.

Early versions felt pretty weak, like there were plenty of cards worse than already-mediocre base game cards, with little to no synergy to make them actually good. It's possible they wound up overcompensating the other direction (the same thing happened to Watcher.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean they rebalance very frequently but yes, the boss characters in downfall do seem crazy powerful. also the keys give you bonuses, rather than being straight penalties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

got a new comp and am slowly reinstalling all my stuff - with the new downfall release i should just get that instead of via workshop like before, right?