Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

knuthgrush posted:

I just picked up a pair of these slides for the gym. I hope it sends a clear message to my rolling partners:

Was hoping to get the purple tie dye ones but they were out. 10th planet should do a collab with ripndip. It's right up their alley.

Please post where i can buy these bad boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Please post where i can buy these bad boys

Same

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I got them here, friends: https://www.zumiez.com/shoes/sandals.html?brand=RIPNDIP&en_gender_styles=Men%27s

They're not as brilliant as the image unless they're directly in bright light. There's some color changing ones and aliens and stuff. They got a great reaction at the gym!

EDIT: looks like scamazon carries them, too. dunno if it's the same company or maybe knock offs?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Any tips for getting out of half-guard? I definitely need to improve my passing because I seem to end up in half-guard every single time but I'm curious how to get out of it. I try to use my free foot to help pry out my locked leg but it doesn't seem to do anything. So I usually just end up hanging there trying to make them as uncomfortable as possible with top pressure so that they give up their back or let my leg go.

On a sidenote, is it a dick move to put my forearm on their neck? I got into a position where I was in my opponent's half-guard with one arm under his neck and the other arm on top of his neck. I clasped by hands onto my opposite elbows and started to slowly squeeze. Not sure if I was doing a real move or if I was being a dick. My goal was to get him to tap or let go of my leg so I could get mount.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If you are past the knee shield, flatten them out with a cross face and far side underhook. Place your free leg foot sole against the inside of their top thigh and push upward, this should free your knee/foot. If you have your opponent well flattened and they are of a similar size/skill you can do this patiently, the freeing of your trapped leg. Just keep their head and far shoulder pinned to the mat as you do it, worst case you will give up too much space and they may recover closed guard. Watch for knee lever off balances, and never ever lose that far side underhook.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
If this is in gi, I'm a big fan of the leg weave pass as Lachlan shows it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHa2f9QqnQ.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

laxbro posted:

On a sidenote, is it a dick move to put my forearm on their neck? I got into a position where I was in my opponent's half-guard with one arm under his neck and the other arm on top of his neck. I clasped by hands onto my opposite elbows and started to slowly squeeze. Not sure if I was doing a real move or if I was being a dick. My goal was to get him to tap or let go of my leg so I could get mount.

It's kind of a dick move but it's educational for your partners to learn what to do. With your arms locked up like that, he can john wayne roll you over pretty easy, you don't have anything to post with. And you'd be giving up the underhook. So not a dick move, just low percentage and annoying like elbowing thighs to open guard. Nobody should get mad though, you need a few wildcards at every club to make sure people can fall back on principles in dynamic situations. If people start rolling super rough, you should probably cool it on that kind of stuff, the culture can vary from club to club.

As for half guard, don't think about trying to get out of it, the easiest way out is forward. You need to dive into principles of passing half guard. For stuck foot, your foot is probably 90 degrees to his leg. You need to turn your hips or his legs to align your foot with the crack in his legs and then frame or push one of his legs while you pull your foot out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

laxbro posted:

Any tips for getting out of half-guard? I definitely need to improve my passing because I seem to end up in half-guard every single time but I'm curious how to get out of it. I try to use my free foot to help pry out my locked leg but it doesn't seem to do anything. So I usually just end up hanging there trying to make them as uncomfortable as possible with top pressure so that they give up their back or let my leg go.

I like the far side knee inchworm slide pass. Lemme explain. Edit: found a video https://youtu.be/NRVxcdnMyWc. He says to 'just tripod the leg, but that poo poo is harder that it sounds. Also you should bring your Knee way closer to their body to increase compression in the position to make it harder for them to resist - in no gi, anyway. I have no insight into subtleties of yes gi.

You are controlling the opponent who has you in half guard. You are going to put your free leg's hip down to allow The leg that is in their half guard to go knee up to the roof. From there you heel-toe walk your half guarded foot up towards their head to shelf their hips. Once you've maximized the tension, you take your hand that it closest to their knee and push it to the ground, and put your same side knee over the leg to pass. This puts you into guard. From their, you can push their head away from your trapped foot to free yourself from quarter guard and go to mount.

https://youtu.be/PHaha_NRNTc is a good vid on how to get out of the quarter guard. Still looking for a vid explaining my actual pass. It's a far side knee cut, but apparently that's so boring there's no video of it.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 29, 2022

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

For the half guard guy to have any success he needs:
1. for his head to be safe and free to move around
2. to be up on his side, not flat on his back
3. an underhook under the near side arm

So keep him flat, squish his face so that it faces away from you, and keep getting an underhook on him (if he gets it instead, re-pummel, get it again)

If you’ve got those things, pass using your legs. I usually try to slide my top knee through into mount. If he puts a hand on your knee to blocl you from taking mount, it’s extremely easy to get a kimura on the arm that he’s gifting to you.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Awesome thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try these out at class tomorrow if I'm able to go. I got my neck cranked pretty hard last night and it's still a bit tender.

laxbro posted:

To answer my own question, I did some searching and it looks like I was doing a lovely ezekiel choke. From watching some videos I should have had my hand on top of the neck instead of my forearm. If I had escaped his half guard into mount then I would have been able to put more weight into the choke to potentially get the tap.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

laxbro posted:

Pass to 3/4 mount and use that pressure on his chin to make him look in the opposite direction. That may seem like a dick move, but is a legit way to keep your partner from moving their head. Remember, you dont actually pass until that head is in your control. If they are able to move their head around, they will be able to move most of the top portion of their body around too (drop in underneath you (deep half, coyote sweep etc,) or stretch out (recover full guard, etc) making it easier for them to recover guard(s) or reverse the position.

laxbro posted:

To answer my own question, I did some searching and it looks like I was doing a lovely Ezekiel choke. From watching some videos I should have had my hand on top of the neck instead of my forearm. If I had escaped his half guard into mount then I would have been able to put more weight into the choke to potentially get the tap.

I personally would not try doing an Ezekiel until my leg was free from half guard.

Also, get used to sticking your head to the ground from guard positions and not allowing your opponent to put his arm underneath (like say from mount). This simple concept saved me one time from being put in the twister and my opponent finishing. Its amazing how well little fundamentals can cause headaches for your opponent who try fancy moves.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 29, 2022

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Backstep to honey hole, grip & rip.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
This is the way.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Assuming you can already get past the knee shield reliably, a good crossface is gonna be your #1 tool for passing half guard. Once you secure one, even if the bottom person insists on clamping down as hard as they can to prevent you from moving any further, you should be able to make their life miserable just with shoulder pressure on their head and neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9MZmfVrmA

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Found out tonight that its really important to concentrate on trying to get your two middle fingers out of a sleeve ASAP., and if you cant, tap. Yikes...

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 30, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Found out tonight that its really important to concentrate on trying to get your two middle fingers out of a sleeve ASAP., and if you cant, tap. Yikes...

BB at my old gym had permanently damaged finger ligaments from a grip break gone bad due to sticking his fingers inside a sleeve.

Generally quiet guy but he would chew people out vocally if he saw anyone putting fingers in a sleeve.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whenever I see a discussion like this (sorry for your fingers btw) I just reflect that BJJ is slowly reverse-engineering judo rules. Judo gets poo poo on for stuff like its arcane gripping rules but hey, that's why.

I got into an argument with a buddy Friday as we were watching WNO. There was some match between two poo poo-hot 20 year old girls and it ended with a heel hook and one of them limping off the mat and I said something to the effect of "it's fine and good to allow heel hooks for the sake of being comprehensive, but I don't know if I want to see people's careers ended like that anymore" and he went on this journey from "it's her job to tap" to "it happened too fast for her to tap" to "rules exist to protect the athletes" in about 40 seconds.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Gripping inside the sleeves has been illegal forever. I think it was actually illegal when he got hurt way back in the day - just need to enforce that poo poo and make people understand it's for their own good.

Judo's mistake (if you consider it a mistake) was making rules beyond safety.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Gripping inside the sleeves has been illegal forever. I think it was actually illegal when he got hurt way back in the day - just need to enforce that poo poo and make people understand it's for their own good.

Mine just accidentally got caught there when I was on the ground. I knew they were in, but didnt take the necessary priority to remove them as my friend had my arm in a Kimura trap and was I thinking about that instead.

Things can get weird when you're grappling.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is there a difference between an MMA type rash guard and regular under armor? I’m starting no-gii bjj for the first time this week, and I don’t want to drop dimes on specialized gear if I can use athletic gear with other uses.

Spandex compression shorts under running shorts a fine first day kit?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If there is, neither I nor anyone else at my gym know or care!

Edit: I like long sleeve for no gi

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Some fancier grappling/MMA rash guards have a rubber strip on the waist/sleeves to make sure they don’t ride up your body, but I think that’s it. I opt for Nike/UA stuff bc it’s a lot cheaper, even more than Sanabul if you wait for sales

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I think some of them have reinforced stitching, and occasionally they're cut with longer torsos so they don't come untucked from your shorts as easily. The stitching doesn't make a huge difference, though, since I used exclusively UA compression shirts and leggings for my first few years of training, and only my very favorite shirt had some of the stitching come loose.

Xguard86 posted:

Yup. I'll pause any roll with a white belt to go "hey, gripping inside the other guy's sleeve is against the rules 'cause you'll break your fingers", let them regrip, and continue.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nestharken posted:

Yup. I'll pause any roll with a white belt to go "hey, gripping inside the other guy's sleeve is against the rules 'cause you'll break your fingers", let them regrip, and continue.

-dead eye stare- Because I will try to break your fingers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is there a difference between an MMA type rash guard and regular under armor? I’m starting no-gii bjj for the first time this week, and I don’t want to drop dimes on specialized gear if I can use athletic gear with other uses.

Go with a cheap under armor. They work totally fine-- I have a few.

Some of the more expensive ones are higher quality. They'll feel nicer, be a bit thicker, more resistant to wear etc. But as far as function goes its all the same poo poo.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Head Bee Guy posted:

Just watch out for running shorts with metal zipper tabs on them. It's unlikely but they could damage mats, yourself or your partners.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Hard plastic ends on draw strings can hurt as well. Some of our folks even just wear t-shirts but those articles don't last that long..

Re: fingers, def be careful and remember to let go. My right index finger is kinda wonky now because I didn't let go of a dude's lapel when he decided to toss me and it snapped all available tendons. I had to take an extended break over that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Athletic compression clothing is basically what bjj rashguard or spats are.

And yes make sure there's nothing hard, like zips or buttons, on your shorts and ideally no pockets either.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Our "fundamentals" coach can't make it today so I'm being asked to lead the class on short notice.

I'm only a blue belt and the moves he wants me to cover aren't a common part of my game. I feel I could demo them in limited sense but I may get some details wrong or fail to appreciate some aspect of them. Could anyone recommend either particularly good videos or maybe drilling suggestions for:

Anaconda from turtle (I tend to use Darcey)

Arm bar from mount (basic move I know, but I don't use it much personally)

Arm bar from knee on belly (used when they're pushing the knee, fortunately I reviewed this last week, but it's still something I rarely do)

Oh, and the class is currently no-gi.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Our "fundamentals" coach can't make it today so I'm being asked to lead the class on short notice.

I'm only a blue belt and the moves he wants me to cover aren't a common part of my game. I feel I could demo them in limited sense but I may get some details wrong or fail to appreciate some aspect of them. Could anyone recommend either particularly good videos or maybe drilling suggestions for:

Anaconda from turtle (I tend to use Darcey)

Arm bar from knee on belly (used when they're pushing the knee, fortunately I reviewed this last week, but it's still something I rarely do)

Oh, and the class is currently no-gi.

Ooooooor you could teach something you are good at, which leads to a better class.

:ssh:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Ooooooor you could teach something you are good at, which leads to a better class.

:ssh:

Yeah...

Having someone show moves they're not familiar with isn't a great idea. You might as well just show the YouTube video to the class in that case.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, yeah, it sounds obvious when you say it, thanks.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

This should be a fundamental move that everyone should know. I def think its something worth going over. But its funny how the more time you put in, you will hit these moves in sparring. Armbars from guard and mount were not something I hit in sparring until I became a purple belt. But once you see it, its a quick tap!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This should be a fundamental move that everyone should know. I def think its something worth going over. But its funny how the more time you put in, you will hit these moves in sparring. Armbars from guard and mount were not something I hit in sparring until I became a purple belt. But once you see it, its a quick tap!

You're really really right about that, and I can do it in the sense that I know how it works and could certainly start looking for it in rolls, so I'm going to start trying to go for it more.

For the class, I'm just going to see if I can teach some basic side control escapes that I know and use all the time. More importantly, because I know them relatively well I can actually speak somewhat about how the opponent tends to make themselves vulnerable to one if they press in too much, or another if they get too far off of you, and how you can chain escapes, etc etc.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

It’s weird to me that the instructor would want all of those moves to be taught in the same class. I can see how maybe mounted / neon belly armbar are kinda related but then an anaconda from turtle thrown in the mix? Seems like a good way to have people not retain a lot of what you show them.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

It’s weird to me that the instructor would want all of those moves to be taught in the same class. I can see how maybe mounted / neon belly armbar are kinda related but then an anaconda from turtle thrown in the mix? Seems like a good way to have people not retain a lot of what you show them.

I agree. Focus on just armbars for the day if thats what you plan on teaching.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He tends to pick a theme each month like "submissions from side control", but every year the month of March is "no gi month", so so think it's more a grab bag.

I could also point out that he's a brown belt student who volunteers to teach a "fundamentals" class once a week both to give the owner a rest and because he himself is a good coach with a different physique and approach than the owner, so it's entirely possible that, since work is keeping from hosting the class, it also kept him from making particularly good lesson plan this week.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 31, 2022

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I would just teach a D'arce from turtle, since it's a very close relative to the anaconda, and out of the possibilities you listed, it's the only one that's actually easier/more available in no-gi. That said, there's never a bad time to get better at side control escapes.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Here you go Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GshEzcqlUbY

In his latest mount attacks instructional he mentions that he has started teaching mounted armbars from double underhooks, but this older video is from a single underhook and very effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

"Huge Honor for me!"

I need to get my hands on Gordons mount attacks video series after watching Jacob Couch basically tap to pressure from S-Mount. I keep watching that match; Gordon is a master at getting the arms above the head.