Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks great, I'm surprised it has that much unique sheet metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Powershift posted:

Looks great, I'm surprised it has that much unique sheet metal.

I am too but also I bet the bonnet is the only actual metal part anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Neo_Crimson posted:

If Toyota managed to squeeze 300hp out of a 3-cyl and keep it reliable, with AWD and a stick, I'll have consider it over a Civic Type-R.

The Yaris GR says hi there

quote:

Just kidding, it'll be impossible to buy. :shepface:

The Yaris GR also says hi there, sold out before it gets to the show room

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I actually prefer it looks-wise to either other car in this image.

https://twitter.com/supcat/status/1509464042787655681?t=zEG5vPUUTIeS6hJH8KYScA&s=19

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow the Corolla is getting a carbon fiber roof like the Yaris did - https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/grcorolla/

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 31, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/grcorolla/

It looks good

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Slightly reminiscent of a 3rd gen wrx hatch from the side. I like it

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I freaking love it. The Yaris GR looks weird to me. I think this looks much better.
I know Ill never have one, but shout out to Toyota for building the thing I wanted that Subaru refuses to make for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only thing I don't like is those Autozone looking hood vents :chloe:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Once Toyota releases the manual supra, their whole GR line up is going to be loving killing it for the next 8 years or whatever is left of ICE cars.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 31, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Veloster N looks way better :colbert:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FBS posted:

The Veloster N looks way better :colbert:

Agreed. Too bad no heated seats. FWD isn't a deal breaker for me, but AWD is cooler.

Shocked that the Kona is AWD but the actual Konan is FWD lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sab669 posted:

Agreed. Too bad no heated seats. FWD isn't a deal breaker for me, but AWD is cooler.

Shocked that the Kona is AWD but the actual Konan is FWD lol

Similar thing with the Kia K5, you can get AWD on the GT-line but not the GT.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

You also can't get an AWD Camry with the V6, only the I4.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What a bunch of bastards :v:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm on a dealer waitlist but I feel like theres no way in hell im getting one of these things if they're actually only making 1000

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

BrownieVK posted:

Super convenient timing I was literally just looking into one of these to replace my Manual Crosstrek (extremely boring) The Kona N has roof racks, can hold some cargo and it looks like there are plenty of hitches that should fit for bike rack and a very small utility trailer.
We have a 124 Spider Abarth for the"fun" car but we never are in it since you can't fit groceries and stuff lol I've been looking for a more exciting do it all daily and I can't believe how much you get for the price on the Kona N.
What was the situation like on markups? No way I would pay anything more than MSRP on one.

I'm not sure I never did end up talking pricing with the sales rep as I was mostly curious to test drive it and was sort of shopping around a bit. A note though, there is both the Kona N Line, and Kona N (which I mentioned earlier) and mighty confusing. I'm not sure either is available with a tow hitch but you could definitely put a roof rack on both as they have the attachment rails.

The N LINE comes in a bunch of fun colors for 2022, and then N itself is the more racing-oriented one and is anything but dull.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm on a dealer waitlist but I feel like theres no way in hell im getting one of these things if they're actually only making 1000

Is that what the dealer told you? I didn't see anything about production numbers on the Toyota site

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Is that what the dealer told you? I didn't see anything about production numbers on the Toyota site

This was from a leak that https://www.youtube.com/c/KirkKreifels had. Who knows if its legit but he's been correct in the past about stuff.

I managed to get in with another dealer. Put a $1k deposit down that is refundable if they don't get it in 8 weeks after allocation. I also got it in writing that they will sell it at MSRP which is good. I'm number 3 in line so hopefully it works out.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

IKillForPie posted:

I'm not sure I never did end up talking pricing with the sales rep as I was mostly curious to test drive it and was sort of shopping around a bit. A note though, there is both the Kona N Line, and Kona N (which I mentioned earlier) and mighty confusing. I'm not sure either is available with a tow hitch but you could definitely put a roof rack on both as they have the attachment rails.

The N LINE comes in a bunch of fun colors for 2022, and then N itself is the more racing-oriented one and is anything but dull.

The Kona N I test drove was marked up to 40k from 35k. It's a nice car, but not 40k nice. It also says it has 280hp, which may be true, but it wasn't any faster than my GTI, but it certainly sounded faster. In all ways it was more raw than the GTI, and I actually think in some ways it looks nicer, but marking up a car like that is ridiculous. If it were AWD, it would be a great car, but fwd makes it good, and marking it up makes it a poor value.

Edit: Oh yeah, it also had a lot more torque steer than my GTI.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 31, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

This was from a leak that https://www.youtube.com/c/KirkKreifels had. Who knows if its legit but he's been correct in the past about stuff.

I managed to get in with another dealer. Put a $1k deposit down that is refundable if they don't get it in 8 weeks after allocation. I also got it in writing that they will sell it at MSRP which is good. I'm number 3 in line so hopefully it works out.

:hellyeah: good luck

I guess I should get on the phones.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Good luck dude, but don't get mad when they tell you there's going to be a massive adjustment, because there will be. Unfortunately dealers are like cops, they can lie about whatever they want to do what they're doing.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Good luck dude, but don't get mad when they tell you there's going to be a massive adjustment, because there will be. Unfortunately dealers are like cops, they can lie about whatever they want to do what they're doing.

Yeah I'm prepared for that to happen. Hoping if it does I can get Toyota involved.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So much for putting a hitch on this thing for track tires and bike racks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I don't see Toyota keeping it actually limited - maybe just the "Initiative Edition" or whatever. If they sell, they'll keep selling them.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Partial Octopus posted:

Stick the middle tube out one of the hood vents, problem solved

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't see Toyota keeping it actually limited - maybe just the "Initiative Edition" or whatever. If they sell, they'll keep selling them.

They'll probably do what Honda does with the Type-R. Keep selling them but only make like 3500 units a year.

Then again, Toyota built 500 LFAs for 1 year then never again, so who knows.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

https://pressroom.toyota.com/the-wait-is-over-toyota-to-debut-its-newest-gr-sports-car/

I hate announcements of announcements, but GR Corolla [probably] to be officially shown off this Thursday.

I've been thinking about replacing the FoRS with an F31 but I'm reluctant about used BMW ownership, and I can't really find a good answer as to how "worth it" the M Sport pack is -- but I think I'm just going to go this route unless there's something really dumb/bad about it.

Couple of pages back and this should be in the BMW thread but if you are buying an AWD F3X the m-sport package is basically just an appearance package. Even the adaptive dampers are available on the sport trims.

Source: owned a sport package F30 because I wasn’t spending 3k for better wheels bumpers.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Partial Octopus posted:

“I totally would have bought one except for THIS thing.”

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

“I totally would have bought one except for THIS thing.”

Someone will come up with one anyway, it'll just look a bit weird (like the one designed for a Focus ST)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neo_Crimson posted:

They'll probably do what Honda does with the Type-R. Keep selling them but only make like 3500 units a year.

Then again, Toyota built 500 LFAs for 1 year then never again, so who knows.

They lost a ton of money on each LFA though. Can't imagine they are losing anything on the GR Corolla

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I have been waiting for this announcement ever since the GRY was announced, sold my Si last year and have been waiting patiently for word that the GR Corolla was actually going to happen. So I'm going to start calling all the local dealers tomorrow to see about getting on their lists but I am not hopeful living here in SoCal.

It seems like the motor and AWD system are quite stout, Motive has been pushing the little Yaris for a while now (one of these videos was linked earlier), and it will probably be quite reliable in stock configuration for many years. I've been following their progression since they picked up their Yaris and I am so drat excited, but I feel these are going to be impossible to actually buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQgGjK9tSBY

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Oh poo poo...

"The Circuit Edition also comes better equipped as customers will find heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and an eight-speaker JBL premium audio system."

I wondered if the GR would be spartan or actually have some creature comforts. Good stuff.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://pressroom.toyota.com/heat-for-the-streets-toyota-debuts-first-ever-gr-corolla/

full press release with pics

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that gr corolla is making me feeling the same things the focus rs did. what size are the wheels? unironically will consider getting rid of the rs if it has 17’s

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KidDynamite posted:

that gr corolla is making me feeling the same things the focus rs did. what size are the wheels? unironically will consider getting rid of the rs if it has 17’s

I think it looks great, manual transmission only with optional LSD front and rear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where are the cool colors though?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

18's

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We truly live in the worst timeline when the most desirable car in almost a decade comes out in the middle of a supply crisis.

Where were you 2.5 years ago when i settled for a more “mature” Golf R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Sad there's no super bright blue