Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

Oh yeah the switch to plastic tea bags done in secret is absolutely loving insane. Imagine all the microplastics people are drinking and making GBS threads out from that. I got in an argument with my father in law about not giving my daughter tea from plastic tea bags, he simply could not believe that something so insane could exist and thought I was being dramatic, until he took a lighter to one and realized it was indeed made of plastic. He threw out all of their tea after that lol.

I had been mildly wondering if the cheap tea I get from the Chinese grocery store was plastic, I'll have to burn a bag later and find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Car Hater posted:

No more ice!
Twice as nice!

No, More Ice!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I had been mildly wondering if the cheap tea I get from the Chinese grocery store was plastic, I'll have to burn a bag later and find out

if it ends up being a problem, bulk tea isn't really that expensive and there are plenty of paper bags to spoon it into. it's only fractionally more of a pain to use

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if you drink tea from a teabag you deserve all the microplastics you get. i don't make the rules

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mediaphage posted:

if it ends up being a problem, bulk tea isn't really that expensive and there are plenty of paper bags to spoon it into. it's only fractionally more of a pain to use

Or you can use a metal tea holder and skip the paper bags entirely?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Or you can use a metal tea holder and skip the paper bags entirely?

i guess? i’m not convinced that’s always better, though. anyway paper filters are fine

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Climate Change
No More Ice

Ah, they got this whole thing screwed up!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I was kind of looking at the "finger lake" area of New York... regarding Nova Scotia, how hard is it to get Canadian citizenship?

The maritimes actually have a special program to make immigrating there a little easier

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/atlantic-immigration.html

But mostly still just skilled workers

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the planet so nice they purged it twice

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Aren't tea bags lined with plastics since the 40's? When macines close the bag at the factory, the bags the plastic liner melts from heat and thus keeps the bag closed. You can perhaps observe that with your own tea bags too.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

whats a little more when youre already filled with plastic

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ihmemies posted:

Aren't tea bags lined with plastics since the 40's? When macines close the bag at the factory, the bags the plastic liner melts from heat and thus keeps the bag closed. You can perhaps observe that with your own tea bags too.

Bags I remember before they started plasticing them were folded and stapled with a little metal staple and that's also how the string got attached.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
some tea is still like that, mostly super cheap stuff.

alternately you maybe can still traverse the silk road and get tea in the form of pressed bricks

e: the bricks are compressed in plastic now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
same for cocaine

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ihmemies posted:

Waiting to find out my metal tea ball is made from a cadmium alloy.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

One dead giveaway is if the bag is stamped together somehow - that's only possible if it's made of plastics that melt together when hit with a hot press. If it's purely folded and held together with a staple or string it may or may not be plastic.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

Waiting to find out my metal tea ball is made from a cadmium alloy.

it's made from a chadmium alloy, it's why you own :3:

e: looks like it is actually a nickle-lead alloy, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. explains ur posts tho

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the lead gives the tea a nice sweet taste, but not as sweet as sugar which is too sweet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

e: the bricks are compressed plastic now

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the scene from Ba.2 Back the Future III where the McFly family is picking buckshot out of their mouths during a meal but instead it's plastic pellets

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Well poo poo. I do loose leaf tea, but I should figure out my tea ball situation

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i dump my loose leafs into a ceramic pot and make tea without any added plastic or metal. There's 100% plastic in the packaging but at least i'm only getting nice wholesome natural cinnibar glaze from the pot

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i dump my loose leafs into a ceramic pot and make tea without any added plastic or metal. There's 100% plastic in the packaging but at least i'm only getting nice wholesome natural cinnibar glaze from the pot

I only buy high end teas in metal cans, but yeah, I’ll do that. and make coffee in a French press or espresso shots. (Though nespresso, so…)

I drink water from glass or hydro flasks (the plastic lids are a bummer but I always unscrew them and drink fromthe metal lip.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
metal / glass is the way to go for coffee imo, to obtain the rich coffee oils. You can really taste the indentured children's plantation labor.

e: was it this thread where they have researchers who've discovered new coffee species that may be worth investigating because they can survive extraordinarily high temps that will kill normal coffee trees? The whole article was v "economic development" vibes

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Eventually bacteria will solve the plastic problem like they solved the carboniferous. It's only a few million years away

Hey why don't we just use machine learning to design bacteria that can break down the plastic now? What could possibly go wrong???

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TehSaurus posted:

Hey why don't we just use machine learning to design bacteria that can break down the plastic now? What could possibly go wrong???

Sure why not? Lets go with the grey goo ending!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

TehSaurus posted:

time to take a big sip of the plastic-eating bacteria and give myself a bad case of spongiform encephalopathy

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

silicone thrills posted:

My favorite find in my dirt in my yard was plastic aquarium pieces that must have been thrown into the woods at least 25 years ago. Im like. Idk a block from a golf course and I also find a lot of golf balls. I'm making little shrines out of this poo poo cause like what the gently caress else can I do at this point?
there are a few synthetic pillowcases from like 1999 half-buried in the undergrowth up in the orchard. they're almost overgrown with moss but the print is still as bright and clear as it ever was

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

algorithmically designed machine language artificial intelligence nanomachines controlled via blockchain metaverse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

when we moved in here it was a very snowy january. come spring i’m poking around the backyard when i see something blue

no joke the prior owners had used more than fifty full-sized tarps wrapped all around the edges of the property as a weed block

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
found out about a new hell on earth today, thought it belonged here

what's that little white patch in the south of spain?

hm is that a city or something? it covers a huge area

oh it's all greenhouses

plastic tomato greenhouses

where "migrant workers" (slaves) work in 50C+ heat and live in plastic slums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_farming_in_Almer%C3%ADa

quote:

The El Ejido region has been described by environmentalists as a "sea of plastic" due to the expansive swaths of land covered by greenhouses, and has also been labeled "Europe's dirty little secret" due to the documented abuses of workers who help produce large quantities of Europe's food supply.

quote:

Workers have complained of ill health effects as a result of exposure to pesticides without proper protective equipment.

quote:

Groundwater is being polluted with fertilisers and pesticides. Some 5200 tons of chemical waste is dumped into the area each year.
The local government has also banned drilling new water wells, but this is often ignored and new wells are drilled up to a depth of 2000 meters.

quote:

Some 30 000 tons of plastic waste is created each year, and in places where the soil has become infertile, the greenhouses are abandoned after shredding them. The plastic waste from the greenhouses is reported to run off into the Mediterranean Sea.

enjoy

ur

tomatoes

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
^^^ drat I remember reading about that like ten years ago

gghgh
https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2022/03/31/research-shows-climate-change-may-enable-alaska-grow-more-its-own-food/

quote:

Research shows climate change may enable Alaska to grow more of its own food

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - Farmers in Alaska know that it can be hard to grow in the state’s climate, but as the climate rapidly warms in the far north, that could change.

Climate change could enable Alaska to grow more of its own food. Agriculture is one area in which climate change may actually bring some benefit to the state, but not without stumbling blocks and uncertainties.

Nancy Fresco, at the International Arctic Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, has worked with other scholars as well as farmers to begin investigating the state’s agricultural future.

“It’s not weird at all to say that there might be positive impacts and I think to some degree that might be why this particular study has drawn a lot of attention,” Fresco said. “Because people are very concerned about climate change, but they’re also interested to think about something where the change might be not entirely negative.”

What they’ve done is taken global climate change models, but downscaled them to the local level, followed by getting insights from farmers growing vegetables for local markets. The research suggests that planning for future decades may be crucial for keeping Alaska fed and economically stable.

According to the Alaska Food Policy Council, only 5% of the food consumed in Alaska is grown or raised here. That leaves Alaskans vulnerable to supply chain disruptions when even a single barge fails to arrive or one road is blocked, which is why growing food becomes increasingly important.

“There’s lots of room for expansion and I think not only do people like locally grown produce but people have become a bit more aware about what can happen when supply chains don’t come through,” Fresco explained.

The climate modeling the researchers performed “suggests a dramatically changing future for Alaska crops by 2100, with frost-free seasons extending not just by days, but by weeks or months,” Fresco wrote in an article detailing the work. The coldest winter days, the research found, could potentially become 10-15 degrees less extreme.

But an increase in warmer days could also lead to challenges farmers haven’t seen before. Janet Dinwiddie, the owner of Pioneer Peak Farm, said there’s a variety of concerns that come with a warmer farming season. One is the risk of new pests being introduced to farmlands when items are shipped to Alaska from the Lower 48.

“A lot of the variety that we pick to grow are specifically selected after years and years of research from us and others in this area that we know will do well up in here because of cooler temperatures or the shorter summers,” Dinwiddie said. “And so if we have a really hot summer there’s always a chance that either things will bolt quickly or they just don’t thrive much well because they were specifically planted as a cool weather-type crop."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
bad news about the soil of alaska lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Xaris posted:

bad news about the soil of alaska lol
I kept waiting for them to mention that

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

found out about a new hell on earth today, thought it belonged here

what's that little white patch in the south of spain?

hm is that a city or something? it covers a huge area

oh it's all greenhouses

plastic tomato greenhouses

where "migrant workers" (slaves) work in 50C+ heat and live in plastic slums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_farming_in_Almer%C3%ADa

enjoy

ur

tomatoes

I loved Blade Runner 2049

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
millions of years from now, some poor plastic-eating creature will be trying to furously warn their brethen that their vast plastic stores are non-renewable resources, and that they should not squander the good fortune of this rich plastic earth

now if you excuse me, I have some styrofoam cup rims to chew

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hubbert posted:

millions of years from now, some poor plastic-eating creature will be trying to furously warn their brethen that their vast plastic stores are non-renewable resources, and that they should not squander the good fortune of this rich plastic earth

now if you excuse me, I have some styrofoam cup rims to chew

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/06/australians-ingest-a-credit-cards-worth-of-plastic-a-week-so-whats-it-doing-to-us

The plastic eating organisms are here, boomer

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

amaizing