Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Screen controls tend to be annoying to use, I’d rather be able to control everything from my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

hatty posted:

On my monitor I have my laptop and two consoles hooked up to it. Didn’t know it was an edge case but I guess most people play their games on their nice TVs I’m too stingy to buy. But for me my 1440p monitor is the highest res screen I have that can take inputs and properly scaled retro games look real nice on it too.

I feel like with the increase in people streaming on Twitch and whatnot coupled with Apple's M1 chip killing off Bootcamp, there are a lot more than just a few people who have their consoles at their desktop setups. When I'm home, my consoles are plugged into my monitor too, which no expense spared. Two left monitor HDMI ports are taken up by the PS5 and a split between my retro stuff, and then my right monitor has my Switch and XSX. Then naturally the two DisplayPorts are taken up to actually be monitors in macOS. Of course this is *peak console gamer* but the Studio Display has it limited entirely down to just one Mac per monitor.

Who knows though. The whole selling point of the Studio stuff was more in-line with it going in an actual studio than being used by professionals in specific fields. Maybe down the line Apple will be able to put the current Studio Display tech into a normal Apple Display and at that point, it'll have multiple inputs. It's all very weird right now from a hardware design POV, but that just cycles back to my thoughts on first-get Apple products ultimately being lackluster.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think I’d use a game streaming service before I ever bought a console.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I like to use my Xbox hooked up to my nice TV while kicking back on my couch. I can’t imagine it hooked up to a monitor, just seems so cramped and uncomfortable. I never really got into PC games though.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think I’d use a game streaming service before I ever bought a console.

The $300 Xbox Series S aired with Gamepass is the best deal in gaming today

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Game streaming is the pits. That'd be the last resort

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm not going to add too much to the various fallacy of the studio display debate but if your big issue is a single input, there are usb-c switches/selectors. Acroname makes a four port unit with sbu that should theoretically work.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Heh

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I feel like with the increase in people streaming on Twitch and whatnot coupled with Apple's M1 chip killing off Bootcamp, there are a lot more than just a few people who have their consoles at their desktop setups. When I'm home, my consoles are plugged into my monitor too.

Yeah, this is my situation and one of the many reasons the 5K monitor doesn't appeal to me. 4K + scaling is 'fine' for work stuff and then great for console output. If I were to replace my main monitor it would be with a mix of gaming and Mac uses in mind and it seems like I'm going to have to do without any kind of high DPI for a long time since the PC and gaming markets are absolutely more interested in speed than resolution (for good reason!)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Splinter posted:

e: also, in some cases with a multi-monitor setup you may want the flexibility to have either all monitors go to one computer, or have each monitor showing a separate computer (rather than with a KVM that generally only allows swapping everything rather than mix & match).

I’m set up this way. I have my Mac, a gaming PC, my work laptop, and 2 monitors. All three are wired to both monitors, and I switch inputs all the time based on what I’m doing. Dual screen for focus time, split machines for when I want to watch a video, etc.

I used to have a switch wired to one monitor as well, but 4 input monitors are rare, and I passed that one onto my kid when 24” 1080p wasn’t good enough anymore.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wow its really crazy that people are having 2 compy kvm discussion itt. i was prowling through this forum looking for a good place to ask this question and I guess it's here, even if only for this brief moment? i'm adding a macbook air to my setup desktop, which has induced lots, LOTS of factors, obviously. The m1 air (what im planning to buy, budget and i only need it for word processing and school etc) will come and go but i also have a gamer rig which i use for not really gaming so much anymore but i do video streaming for clients on OBS and edit some video and such, you know, might play some game here or there idk. but basically i have a big windows rig and a little apple computer to move around with. pretty happy with that i think.

anyways, adding them into a nice workflow would be ideal. ive been ruminating on this for a while. one of the core sticking points is this simple fact:

Lady Radia posted:

yeah KVMs that can do quality outputs are priiicey

so ive said gently caress it to the idea of a TB3 KVM hub (?)
another thing I've not been able to find is a good monitor that:
1) reasonably priced for quality (lol)
2) built-in USB hub
3) usb-c cable plug that delivers power and data

so instead ive frankensteined this kind of thing together using a regular monitor, a kvm, and a regular tb over usbc plug. this means i will plug 2 things when i put my macbook down on the stand:
1) the usb-c tb cable from the monitor
2) the usb-c digital av adapter which will carry data from my KVM and also power from a second charging cable. i prefer to leave my travel cable in my bag when im at home, a lot.

here's my diagram:

the monitor will work as a hub for the speakers. both the usb-c dp & also the TB or hdmi or w/e to the windows pc carry audio.

here's poo poo i need to buy and their plug detail (if necessary):

UGREEN USB 3.0 Switch Selector
USB 3.0 A
keyboard / mouse / headset / webcam? (forgot this in the diagram)
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Peripheral-Switcher/dp/B01N6GD9JO/ref=sr_1_3

BenQ EW3270U Q&A Monitor
"USB C (mac)
HDMI (open)
DP (pc)
3.5mm (spkr)"
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383776-REG/benq_ew3270u_premium_metallic_grey_31_5_va_3840x2160.html/specs

Apple Dongle
"USB-C Power In
USB-A In"
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Apple 30w Wall Wart
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MY1W2AM/A/30w-usb-c-power-adapter

Apple USB-C Charge Cable (1 m)
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MM093AM/A/usb-c-charge-cable-1-m

IOGEAR DisplayPort 1.4 Male Cable (6')
DP
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501350-REG/iogear_g2ldpdp14_displayport_1_4_male_to_male_cable.html

m1 mba can only support 1 monitor so, here we are.

i know this is asking for a lot of free consulting, so, tell me to gently caress off if you want... just looks like some folks here have been down the same road so i figured i'd bounce it off some mac hybrid heads itt.

many thanks for your time & genius level brains!!

Smythe fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 31, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Will the HDMI output on the Apple Digital AV Adapter not work fine for your display? This document suggests M1 Airs can do 4K HDR 60Hz with the latest version of the dongle - which gets you to a single connection to plug in at your desk

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207806

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I have a horrible awful setup that works great for me.

Though my monitors do have multiple inputs I loving hate changing them.

So... 99% of my usage for my gaming PC (and 100% for my PS5) is...

- Share USB with PC over USB switcher
- Plug video out from PC, PS5, Switch, whatever else into HDMI switcher
- Plug HDMI switcher into HDS60+
- Plug HDS60+ into Mac
- View everything in Game Capture HD on my Mac.

OR... I just remote desktop into the PC if it's just some routine poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Will the HDMI output on the Apple Digital AV Adapter not work fine for your display? This document suggests M1 Airs can do 4K HDR 60Hz with the latest version of the dongle - which gets you to a single connection to plug in at your desk

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207806

oh thats cool. not sure if it carries audio through the dongle but may as well try. That rules, thanks!

e: im going to add a new HDMI cable to the thing. these cable specs are all hosed up all the time lol

Smythe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 31, 2022

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wow, using a TB3 dock with a new M1 MBP is super painful. Apparently it can only do 4k30 and is super finicky in general.

In a strange twist of fate, the since the MBP has HDMI, I was able to get 4k60 no problem with the HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

Since I also need a few old rear end usb ports and wired ethernet I'll just get some other slim/easy dock. I don't think I'll travel too much so plugging a bunch of stuff in when I come and go won't be a big deal.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
why the gently caress does my M1 macbook take forever to wake up after turning the screen off. i have to mash all the keys

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Smythe posted:

so ive said gently caress it to the idea of a TB3 KVM hub (?)
2) built-in USB hub
I dunno what your price range is but Dell have a 27” 1440p monitor with a bunch of USB ports and Ethernet that does power/data delivery over USB-C on one port and just data on the other. It’s got some form of KVM built into it for switching the USB/network between the two USB-C ports and also has the usual range of display cables.

We’ve got a few at work and they’re honestly pretty nice and work just fine with M1 Macs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You might also want to look at https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/P32p-20C20315UP031-5inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/62A2GAT2UK

90w of PD on the USB-C connector, claims to have a KVM feature built-in but you'd need to check out some reviews to see how that performs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My work laptop plugs into my eGPU and that’s my only computer.

I work in finance and can’t use a Mac but maybe one day………

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Smythe posted:

2) built-in USB hub

Gigabyte M28U which I use with my 14" MBP and desktop. It has an inbuilt KVM and I can get away with the USB-C power delivery being only 18W because the MBP absolutely sips power :cool:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ve got an M27Q I really dig. Only 10W of charging, but it’s got a KVM and everything. I think the M32U does as well, and that’s a 4K display. Hard to beat if you ask me, but probably more so if you’re gaming.

Gigabyte love UIH.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
In this brave new world of video over thunderbolt, does anyone know if video is frame-synced across outputs? It definitely wasn't in the DVI/mDP days but it's been a minute.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
you fine folks are SUPER helpful. MANY THANKS! AVATARS FOR ALL! :toot:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
not really, jeff gets salty if you give out too many freebies.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nitsuga posted:

I think the M32U does as well, and that’s a 4K display. Hard to beat if you ask me, but probably more so if you’re gaming.

In comparison to the the M32U, I found the ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ 32" for $140 more, which has almost identical screen specs but with the addition of 600nits/HDR600 (vs. 400), and slightly fewer ports. I don't hear about this monitor as much, but I'm not sure why.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Smythe posted:

not really, jeff gets salty if you give out too many freebies.

can u send some good vibes at least? this was some good posting

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

absolutely! thats my favorite thing to send!

Sending good vibes,
smythe

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lady Radia posted:

you didnt ask me but i also would like to send good vibes

*mail.app swoosh sound*

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
hell yeah

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

tuna posted:

In comparison to the the M32U, I found the ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ 32" for $140 more, which has almost identical screen specs but with the addition of 600nits/HDR600 (vs. 400), and slightly fewer ports. I don't hear about this monitor as much, but I'm not sure why.

There’s not an RTings review for that even. I could see a brighter Gigabyte being nice, but :confused:.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Smythe posted:

absolutely! thats my favorite thing to send!

Sending good vibes,
smythe

Thanks Smythe.

Thythe.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wow, using a TB3 dock with a new M1 MBP is super painful. Apparently it can only do 4k30 and is super finicky in general.

In a strange twist of fate, the since the MBP has HDMI, I was able to get 4k60 no problem with the HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

Since I also need a few old rear end usb ports and wired ethernet I'll just get some other slim/easy dock. I don't think I'll travel too much so plugging a bunch of stuff in when I come and go won't be a big deal.

Any reason you went for TB3 over TB4?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The Caldigit TS3 Plus does 4K60 just fine. It’s DisplayPort, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AppleInsider is reporting that the Monterey 12.3.1 update fixes speed issues that people were having with their AMD cards in eGPU / Tbolt enclosures.

Most notably, people who shelled out big $$$ for their AMD 6800s can stop crying now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

14” and 16” MBPs have finally hit the refurb store if anyone was waiting for them.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Still cheaper to use the education discount, which you can use once a year. I qualified because I'm currently enrolled in the university of hard knocks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

AppleInsider is reporting that the Monterey 12.3.1 update fixes speed issues that people were having with their AMD cards in eGPU / Tbolt enclosures.

Most notably, people who shelled out big $$$ for their AMD 6800s can stop crying now

Hoping it finally cures me of these hard crashes on my intel mbp when I unplug. I've tested two thunderbolt docks and I keep getting hard intel crashes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

incoherent posted:

Hoping it finally cures me of these hard crashes on my intel mbp when I unplug. I've tested two thunderbolt docks and I keep getting hard intel crashes.

Beats me, according to Eclectic Mac the only kernel extensions updated in 12.3.1 include some AMD drivers, some AppleIntel drivers, and some Safari / WebKit / JavaScript frameworks..

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Brian Worms posted:

In this brave new world of video over thunderbolt, does anyone know if video is frame-synced across outputs? It definitely wasn't in the DVI/mDP days but it's been a minute.

Anyone?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

101 posted:

Any reason you went for TB3 over TB4?

Because it’s what I had from like 4-5 years ago. It’s an older IOGEAR model. Only supports 4k30. Good news is HDMI works for 4k60 and is much smoother.

Sadly this new M32U even with full brightness and hdr on (yes I know her does nothing, it it’s the best I can get it to look) still looks markedly worse than my 2015 5k iMac.

Dear lord I might actually want a studio display. Unless someone has an idea about how to make this gigabyte thing look better. It also looks like rear end next to the new 16”MBP screen. Which I use as a second monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ok I bought a 4K Asus ProArt monitor and the piece of poo poo goes to “no signal” ever time I reboot my Mac Studio.

Can someone recommend a 32” 4K monitor that will work other than the iMac that’s not an iMac studio display?

Edit: removed my rage-induced rudeness. Sorry for that.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 2, 2022