Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Immortal X-Men was great, though I was sad to see one of the council drop already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Immortal X-Men spoiler

it’s good

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Immortal X-Men was great, though I was sad to see one of the council drop already.

He is still going to be written by ewing in x-men red

Also everyone hates Hank

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Immortal X-Men was absolutely fantastic. I'm fully on board with Gillen.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

Gillen has said he's going to write some of the issues from the perspectives of the various members of the Quiet Council and I am READY for the Sinister issue.

i was not prepared for this issue

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As much as I loved Wic+Div and Die, I'm so loving happy to have Gillen back in the X-Office, holy poo poo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Do people not talk about Inhumans vs X-Men as one of the worst x-stories of all time because of recency bias or because there was some unwritten agreement that we would all pretend it didn't exist?

Am I breaking some sort of contract by mentioning it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's been forgotten since none of it matters now, especially with the Inhumans being put on the shelf.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

danbanana posted:

Do people not talk about Inhumans vs X-Men as one of the worst x-stories of all time because of recency bias or because there was some unwritten agreement that we would all pretend it didn't exist?

Am I breaking some sort of contract by mentioning it?

No, it's just because people would rather talk about good things than bad things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I love talking about bad things, but even for me IvX was a big case of uhhhh probably best not to think about this too hard.

I do wish Marvel wouldn't just shutter the Inhumans, though. They have a bad habit of shuttering their own properties for no particularly good reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not true! They love memory-holing properties they have no financial interest in!

Inhumans tv sucked so erase it for a few years while people forget.

F4, Mutants.... etc

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember Pantheon?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think it was IvX that tried gamely to murder all the good character work Emma had until that point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gologle posted:

Remember Pantheon?

nice try, peter david.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

I think it was IvX that tried gamely to murder all the good character work Emma had until that point.

It's the most egregious thing it does but it also just generally loving sucks.

I want to join the consensus praise of Immortal, which is one of the best issues of the Krakoan era and everything that I wanted from the political side of the story. I'm also very glad Hope is being used again. Also Exodus canonically explaining the Big JC was a mutant is fun.

(Though it does add another pre-20th century mutant to the list, which I don't love)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

I want to join the consensus praise of Immortal, which is one of the best issues of the Krakoan era and everything that I wanted from the political side of the story. I'm also very glad Hope is being used again. Also Exodus canonically explaining the Big JC was a mutant is fun.

(Though it does add another pre-20th century mutant to the list, which I don't love)

I think there's plenty of room to imagine that Exodus is just mythologizing in a way that gels with his own ideological degree zero, which is that he's both a guy invested in mutant sovereignty AND a medieval Catholic. It makes total sense to me that he would sit down and conclude that the guy he worships was a member of the demographic he now agitates for, but he's not necessarily correct. An occultist in Marvel could just as easily be like, well, Jesus was a sorcerer supreme, and so on. Remember, Exodus is not super known for acting on reliable information or being entirely consistent in his beliefs. His biggest plot in the Krakoa era involved him spending months demonizing Wanda and then very abruptly changing his mind.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

on the other hand, Jesus "Hot Claws" Christ

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Can't wait to see his gala drip

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

I think there's plenty of room to imagine that Exodus is just mythologizing in a way that gels with his own ideological degree zero, which is that he's both a guy invested in mutant sovereignty AND a medieval Catholic. It makes total sense to me that he would sit down and conclude that the guy he worships was a member of the demographic he now agitates for, but he's not necessarily correct. An occultist in Marvel could just as easily be like, well, Jesus was a sorcerer supreme, and so on. Remember, Exodus is not super known for acting on reliable information or being entirely consistent in his beliefs. His biggest plot in the Krakoa era involved him spending months demonizing Wanda and then very abruptly changing his mind.

*deletes all the work I put into a "Jesus Was Right" t-shirt*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
exodus is old, but not that old. i'm not sure if any of the externals were that old, either. to get the skinny on ol' jc you'd have to go to apocalypse and he's busy being a wife guy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

exodus is old, but not that old. i'm not sure if any of the externals were that old, either. to get the skinny on ol' jc you'd have to go to apocalypse and he's busy being a wife guy.

ask thor

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope this "Exodus thinks Hope is the Second Coming" sticks around and becomes a major headache for everyone, because I kind of love it. Why shouldn't she be the second coming? She gave mutants life twice over, that's awesome.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Selene is like 20,000 years old. She's from the Hyborian age, which is why she was so involved that time Kulan Gath turned NYC into a Conan Cosplay Convention.

I also think some of the other Externals are millenia old? I'm not bothering to check because then Externals would be in my search history and that thing is embarrassing enough for me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

You can read this article on mutant history if you'd like, but I kind of advise against it because it will mostly just remind you of a TON of bad comics. You WILL be forced to remember killcrops.

Exodus was born in the 12th century which... I don't know, fine. There seems to be some dissent on the fan wikis about which crusade he fought in and there is no way in hell I'm digging up the goofy Black Knight one-shot this all went down in to check right now. So he presumably has a very singular and idiosyncratic view of what kind of being Jesus was that would be strange and quite alarming to 21st century Christians let alone Hope, who I imagine is just like, mm, ok, during that bit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

Was Irene or Mystique not that old before?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

The time they met was always around 1900

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah, this was my read on it. He certainly hadn't been born yet, but sure, why not claim Jesus was a mutant who could resurrect people?

Anyway, loved it. Gillen never disappoints, and this seems like exactly the sort of X-Men comic he should be writing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

My understanding was that Claremont picking "Irene Adler" as Destiny's name was purposeful and that she was intended to be the Sherlock Homes character. But I don't think Mystique was shown to be that old for a while... maybe that mini where Kate and Rachel go back in time to murder Hitler?

So either canonically or heavily hinted at, Mystique and Destiny have been pegged as being born around the late-19th I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I thought Destiny was supposed to literally be Irene Adler, and I just always sorta assumed Mystique was about the same age as Logan.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I on the other hand had no idea Mystique was supposed to be that old. I mean it totally tracks, there's no reason a shapeshifter should age. Has that been brought up in, say, the past 20 years and I just missed it, or is it the sort of thing you'd have to have read like the Claremont era comics to know?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It pops up here and there. Last year's Pride special had a fun story about them as a young couple at the turn of the 20th century.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
As someone who mostly stopped reading X books between 1994 and 2017, I don't know where I first heard the idea of Mystique being that old (hell it might have been the movies). I definitely don't remember that being explicit in the Claremont run or immediately after. So it still feels weird to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just assumed she was old because it looked like the 1920s when she gave birth to Kurt. But somehow I never considered him old.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Kurt was introduced by being chased by Dr. Frankenstein's German neighbors so it makes sense that he's 200 years old.

(I know he is not 200 years old)

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Sinister's going to be the one to accidentally solve the "the x-men always lose" problem, and i'm so here for the temper tantrum he'd throw about it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the first time it was real explicit was the 1999 Claremont-penned "True Friends" mini-series where Kitty and Rachel time travel to 1936 where they encounter not-time-traveling versions of Wolverine, Shadow King, Mystique, and Destiny. A couple of years later in X-Treme X-Men he establishes that Destiny was born some time in the mid 19th century, and Mystique first met her in what seems to be the Old West in the US.

Several years after that Jason Aaron did a series of flashbacks in "Get Mystique" showing that Logan and Mystique first met each other in 1921. I don't think there have been a lot of other stories focusing on Mystique being around 100+ years ago, but I feel like her being 100+ years old has come up semi-regularly since it got established. I think it was at least implied she was "older than she looked" throughout the 1990s when they kept teasing/establishing that she had various adult kids.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

There is a kind of weird scene in UXM #170 where she finds herself dreaming about being in 1783, and the caption box notes she "will not be born for another 170 years." That issue came out in 1983 so at that point, at least, Claremont was thinking about her as being around 30. But you know, Claremont changed his mind about a lot of stuff and clearly decided the idea of her being much older was more appealing, which I think I agree with.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

danbanana posted:

we really taking known religious nut who used to literally worship magneto at his word?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Exodus has been used excellently in the Krakoan era. Has he even been in a fight with his rear end pull power set?

I’m surprised that Exodus hasn’t had a sit down with Nightcrawler yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, someone has to protect the weak mutants on the island during the many, many attacks on krakoa. so, might as well say that's what exodus has been doing.