Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"You know how this goes: we do a crime, for money and favors. Explicitly violate Illinois criminal code section [...]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
WTF I love Lightfoot now? https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1499367993888972800

If Biden's going to make Rahm ambassador to Japan, Lori should be ambassador to Russia.

Illinois politics are fun again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

xzzy posted:

Or die. He looks like a corpse already.

I feel like he made the same devil’s pact as McConnell, can’t die until they get removed from office.

MyQuidProQuos.txt

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ZamundaTwice/status/1502842655021043713

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
20+ candidates for IL-01, filling bobby rush's seat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Illinois Dems have left a bunch of districts uncontested.

Also, I just saw that a guy I went to high school changed parties to be an R even though he is a pretty big D supporter. Apparently, in rural Illinois, you have to be an R to win (even though he won a county board seat as a D). As far as I can tell, he just changed parties so that the Rs do not go after him (possibly the same thing happened with the Sheriff from that county).

Edit: reading through the thread on that, it looks like 5 districts that voted for Biden have Rs running unopposed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChazNutt...HyVZSIdJe_vy-l4

A question I was wondering, if a general election is uncontested, is there still a way for a candidate to get on the general election ballot. Or is there a way for someone to be added after the primaries are done?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 15, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Considering the harassment tactics by republicans against Dems, I’m not terribly surprised they can’t find candidates in those districts.

From what I could find. Independents need to file by July 11th.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Fuckin.... Yikes.

The candidate I'm helping is up there, at least. She turned in her signatures last week, with 2x the minimum because it's Illinois.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Sadly this is like this through most of the country. The DNC effectively has given up huge parts of the country and in many places entire states. If you want to know how the GOP took over rust belt states like Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc? This is it. Instead of investing resources and manpower over time to either stave off the incursion and/or do long term investment to pay off a cycle or two down the road they want to continue to focus on the urban "safe" races that are more expensive, eating up their money.

You could take a quarter of the money for a race in major market like Chicago, NYC, LA, etc that the chances of them going to the GOP is slim to nil and you can deeply fund 4-8 rural races. The GOP knows this too which is why they have targeted these districts in states for decades. It maximizes the amount of resources to return. Once they control a state they can crack and pack the urban districts to give them majorities forever.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I would simply invest in rural races, bing bong

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A question I was wondering, if a general election is uncontested, is there still a way for a candidate to get on the general election ballot. Or is there a way for someone to be added after the primaries are done?

The party can vote to appoint people to be on the ballot yes.

quote:

The party caucus is another way a political party nominates candidates. The leaders
of the party call a meeting to determine their preferred candidates for the various offices.
According to state law, only the regularly elected party officers may call such a meeting,
and it must be held at a convenient place and time, although the date is set by statute. The
names of persons chosen as candidates are then sent to the proper election officials and
placed on the ballot.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh cool, apparently mayor Lightfoot is chomping at the bit to put the statues of Christopher Columbus back up, just as soon as she can figure out a way to do it without any cops having to get themselves hurt inciting protesters. Because obviously that's the only reason they got taken down in the first place and not, you know, all the human suffering the man is responsible for.

Like drat, I know she's a cop, but this seems like such an easy layup and yet she's still somehow managing to lower the bar.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Lightfoot is consistently terrible on just about every issue so it's hardly surprising.

I love that somehow in all of this we're probably going to wind up paying for security for a loving statue no one wants.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I really don't understand how she consistently makes either the wrong political decision and/or the wrong moral decision.

It's like she's an eternal "you can't cut back on funding" SimCity player.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
She's been going after Willie Wilson's voters (older, black, conservative, religious) and now he's going to run.

Maybe it's time to take a job with the Biden administration.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

She's been going after Willie Wilson's voters (older, black, conservative, religious) and now he's going to run.

Maybe it's time to take a job with the Biden administration.

Honestly I don't even think she can pull that off now. She is a massive liability anywhere. She has zero future prospects in politics. Rahm for all of his faults had a ton of favors to still cash in and a long standing along with a career before he became mayor. As much as most didn't want to see him anywhere near government again it isn't surprising. Lori had none of that and has pissed off or pissed away any chance she might have had.

My guess is she will go into private practice. She doesn't have a good television presence so I don't see her doing much of that. Her political life is basically DOA.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Djarum posted:

She is a massive liability anywhere. She has zero future prospects in politics.

Interesting that you describe all the qualifications necessary for a slot in the current administration and then try and make an argument for the other direction :v:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zarin posted:

Interesting that you describe all the qualifications necessary for a slot in the current administration and then try and make an argument for the other direction :v:

Not really. Lori has no political allies at all from what I have been able to tell. She doesn’t even have the good sense to realize that she isn’t going to even make it out of the primary for re-election. She is going to be radioactive in terms of politics going forward.

She’ll likely go back into law and perhaps get some corporate board seats since the first black lesbian mayor of Chicago is a nice check mark for certain companies. She’ll be a footnote of lesser importance than Jane Byrne, Eugene Sawyer and Michael Bilandic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lori has a bright future in the Democratic party that is only a few months away from fruition.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rahm covered up a murder and was given a prime ambassadorship. Lori could easily get some job in that administration.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Niwrad posted:

Rahm covered up a murder and was given a prime ambassadorship. Lori could easily get some job in that administration.

Rahm was close to Obama and Lori is not to Biden

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Rahm was a main staffer in the Clinton campaign and White House, a former Congressman and Obama's first Chief of Staff amongst other things. He has drat near 40 years of political capital and favors built up. Lori has been nothing but one form of a cop or another. This is her first elected office she has ever had and has done a piss poor job trying to make any friends or connections with her current job.

Also you forget she has pissed off the current Governor, both Senators and President with her petty bullshit. She is a scandal and gaff machine on top of it all. No one is going to help her, she was given more than enough rope to hang herself.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Djarum posted:

Not really. Lori has no political allies at all from what I have been able to tell. She doesn’t even have the good sense to realize that she isn’t going to even make it out of the primary for re-election. She is going to be radioactive in terms of politics going forward.

She’ll likely go back into law and perhaps get some corporate board seats since the first black lesbian mayor of Chicago is a nice check mark for certain companies. She’ll be a footnote of lesser importance than Jane Byrne, Eugene Sawyer and Michael Bilandic.

Meant to respond to this - I wasn't being serious, sorry! Was trying to simply make a joke about how politics sometimes feels like it selects for incompetence, heh.

Good info on the difference between her and Rahm all the same though. Being from Central IL at the time, I didn't know much about Rahm other than "Rahm bad".

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Djarum posted:

Jane Byrne allowed The Blues Brothers to be shot in Chicago, and for that alone she did a much better job as mayor than Lightfoot ever did

And as to your previous point about the Dems basically abandoning certain states: this is a choice, as they see the New South (NC, GA, FL, and their white whale of TX) as a better place to campaign due to a number of factors. Couple that with general Midwestern alienation that has grown over the past few decades and you get the situation where Josh Mandel and Eric Greitens, two absolute shitbags, are leading in Midwestern GOP primaries.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Troy Queef posted:

And as to your previous point about the Dems basically abandoning certain states: this is a choice, as they see the New South (NC, GA, FL, and their white whale of TX) as a better place to campaign due to a number of factors. Couple that with general Midwestern alienation that has grown over the past few decades and you get the situation where Josh Mandel and Eric Greitens, two absolute shitbags, are leading in Midwestern GOP primaries.

It is a choice but they have been trying to take states that they have zero chance at (FL and TX especially) and keep giving up flanks because they thought they were safe. The Democratic Firewall is a joke, PA, MI, WI, OH, MO have all fell in the last 25 years. Even in places where they didn't have overwhelming success they still were competitive like in Indiana. Again it all goes back to broke brained and poor leadership that keep not learning the right lessons. Really Clinton's win in 92 was the worst thing to happen to the Democratic Party, much like Reagan was for the Republicans.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The problem isn't those guys, the problem is that Willie loving Wilson is going to be Lightfoot on steroids and she hosed up by pandering to his voters for 4 years instead of doing anything good.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1512148226463383560

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1512148226463383560

e: a mayor so dumb and petty I had to post it twice

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Lightfoot might actually just be the best troll of all time.

I've never met or heard of anyone who was capable of making everyone angry as consistently as she does.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1512542556260909066

https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1512543483189420037

lmao loving 10k over 12 months.

Cheap Date huh?

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 8, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm not reading that indictment as "he took $10k over six months" but rather as statutory language about his employer ("that received federal benefits in excess of $10,000") & the threshold for charging him under a particular federal statute.

If anything, they've likely downgraded charges in exchange for his testimony so they're trying to find the least-punitive charge for him.

(ianal so maybe one can clarify my interpretation.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wasn't Blago selling state jobs for $1500 campaign donations? Politicians are not expensive

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
General fyi

quote:

Beginning April 11, 2022, the Illinois Housing Development Authority began accepting applications for homeowners who were financially impacted by COVID-19. The application window will close on Tuesday, May 31, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. The federal funds supporting this program were allocated to the state by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.

Eligible expenses include past due mortgage payments, property taxes, property insurance and delinquent homeowner and/or condo association fees. The total maximum support per household is $30,000. Eligible households include those who own and occupy their homes, are at least 30 days late on eligible expenses and have a total income at or below 150 percent of area median income

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/90sWillysWonder/status/1518925583392067587

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It’s always projection.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Dear lord, this area is represented by fools and braggarts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Dear lord, this area is represented by fools and braggarts.

It has been for decades. Its what happens when you drive out anyone even slightly different than the norm (artists, LGBT, people of color, hell even people of a slightly different religion or cultural practice).

poo poo I know a white male who grew up in the area who was driven out because he wasn't a 'real farmer.' Real farmers, apparently, only grow corn and/or soybeans, and also own at least 150 acres.

Biggest goddamn secret in the area is how much farmers are freakin' welfare queens with as much subsidies as they get from the US Gummint. And they whine and cry for more.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

Biggest goddamn secret in the area is how much farmers are freakin' welfare queens with as much subsidies as they get from the US Gummint. And they whine and cry for more.

And then run for Governor.

Years ago, I asked a farmer friend from Oklahoma how farmers went from the Grange Movement (pretty drat liberal) to so drat conservative and his only thought is that they do not realize how wealthy they are and how it happened based on government support. It is 100% true.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

I hope DeVore sticks around as a completely-powerless perennial candidate for a while. He’s been pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

And then run for Governor.

Years ago, I asked a farmer friend from Oklahoma how farmers went from the Grange Movement (pretty drat liberal) to so drat conservative and his only thought is that they do not realize how wealthy they are and how it happened based on government support. It is 100% true.

How do you double profits on a farm?

Put up a second mailbox