Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Glad to see he’s moved from newspapers up to the high school summer reading list

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1509340205349847045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ah, so she's found the "Rest" gesture in elden ring

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I assumed they were her fetuses but I guess that’s too pedestrian

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

no, she broke into an abortion clinic and stole 5 fetuses out of the biohazardous waste

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

maybe she heisted the super spooky birth defect ones in jars from walter reed medical museum

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PokeJoe posted:

Neanderthals were extremely sexy so we had to kill them all so they wouldn't steal all our women

We were very down with loving Neaderthals there's still Neaderthal DNA in a lot of supposed homo sapiens

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

tokin opposition posted:

it is true but only because humans obey the law of averages on the whole, and thus there is no hope for a better tomorrow because the worst of us are in charge and have nukes

We cracked open the Atom like a walnut shell and then used the infinity inside to murder children because they spoke a different language

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We were very down with loving Neaderthals there's still Neaderthal DNA in a lot of supposed homo sapiens

It's how we got white people imo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Anywhere from 2-4% in anybody whose entire ancestry isn't completely and recently from sub-Saharan Africa.

H.sap crossed that Arabian peninsula to meet the neighbors and didn't waste any time at all in gettin' down.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anywhere from 2-4% in anybody whose entire ancestry isn't completely and recently from sub-Saharan Africa.

H.sap crossed that Arabian peninsula to meet the neighbors and didn't waste any time at all in gettin' down.

it's about 2-4% for everywhere outside of east africa. neanderthal dna is more concentrated from west of the urals/arabian peninsula, and north of the saharan, denisovan is more concentrated east of that, and there's dna evidence of a third homo species that we don't have physical evidence for yet for sub-saharan africa outside of east africa. https://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2017/07/028.html link for that last one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

We cracked open the Atom like a walnut shell and then used the infinity inside to murder children because they spoke a different language

that’s not why we murdered them. we murdered them as an example to the Soviets

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Oscar Wild posted:

Ah, so she's found the "Rest" gesture in elden ring

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

want some more? :smug: :grin:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

fermun posted:

and there's dna evidence of a third homo species that we don't have physical evidence for yet for sub-saharan africa outside of east africa.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

Whatever happened, that reduced homo sapiens to fewer than 10k breeding pairs so that makes a little neanderthal go a long way.

*Archaic human voice* do you have a little Neanderthal in you? No? Would you like some? :smuggo:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

this jackass asked me for money today lmbo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

indigi posted:

that’s not why we murdered them. we murdered them as an example to the Soviets

The children murdering is still the problem, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, they mentioned russians so the polite, respectable thing to do is howl for blood and demand nuclear war.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

fermun posted:

it's about 2-4% for everywhere outside of east africa. neanderthal dna is more concentrated from west of the urals/arabian peninsula, and north of the saharan, denisovan is more concentrated east of that, and there's dna evidence of a third homo species that we don't have physical evidence for yet for sub-saharan africa outside of east africa. https://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2017/07/028.html link for that last one

I was reading a paper that mentioned this earlier, it had this figure to show where their suspected "ancestor X" fell on a phylogenetic tree

quote:

Figure 2. (a) H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis as species represented only as terminal taxa, with all the traits judged to be diagnostic. H. helmei and H. steinheimensis as intermediate species between each terminal species and LCA, here suggested to be H. heidelbergensis. (b) Looser diagnoses of H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis including all populations after the split from the LCA. Both species encompass considerable morphological variation along their lineages and populations which go extinct without issue. The overall topography of both trees and the estimated divergence and LCA ‘dates’ are derived from a study of whole mtDNA genomic data [25,27]. (c) A tree which uses the new date and Neanderthal-like morphology of the Sima sample, plus an inferred deeper divergence date based on new genomic mutation rate estimates [93]. Here, a hypothetical and older ‘Ancestor X’ replaces heidelbergensis as the LCA. The Denisovans are also shown on the diagram, as an early derivative of the Neanderthal clade. Their taxonomic status is still unclear [30]. Late Pleistocene inter-lineage gene flow is indicated by the dashed arrows

Edit: forgot the link for the paper https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rstb.2015.0237#d3e1171

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trixie Hardcore posted:

yeah i was like “drat. that’s a classic tale rendered in a way I thought to hammy for reality” when I thought that

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

gotta be a name for this ideology

Extreme Anti-Colonial Originalism maybe

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Goon Boots posted:

gotta be a name for this ideology

Extreme Anti-Colonial Originalism maybe

gotta be a name for this posting

Extremely Missing the Point maybe

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

your welcome

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if consuming Trader Joe's prepackaged samosas is bad then hail Satan, baby

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The children murdering is still the problem, right?

Definitely, but it's a little strange that you cited the language barrier as the reason why the US did it

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Antarctica bitch. Penguins ain't people.

You had the Elder Things and they were men (even says so in the novella.)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

children are just colonizers if you think about it

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think people confuse the destructive capacity of modern civilization as some sort of reflection of human nature. Imo it is a perversion of human nature, with its cruelest tendencies magnified and its empathy quashed. People are not naturally as terrible as modern society, the society itself is terrible.

Maybe this is wistful thinking, but if there is to be any hope for a better tomorrow then it must be true.

Ok but if human nature gave rise to how humans are right now then that means that humanity today is just as much the natural state of humans as semi-nomadic people following animal herds, unless some outside factor or evolutionary change shaped human nature. Evolution can be pretty quick too, like 10 or 100 generations to get a characteristic distributed throughout isolated populations.

So that suggests that if human nature at one point was not horrible, it has changed due to evolution (or perhaps yakub?) since. Hard to say this without it sounding like evopsych horseshit but i think sociopathy evolved at some point in the distant past and was evolutionarily advantageous so now practically every human organization is dominated by sociopaths and the non-sociopathic portion of humanity is conditioned to accept this domination or participate in it if it benefits them.

But, I don't think this is a fundamentally hopeless situation because most people aren't sociopaths and sociopathy is a spectrum disorder. Maybe someone can make anti-sociopathy drugs and put them in the water supply, idk. Maybe all the sociopaths could be CRISPRd regular. Technological solutions to broad social problems usually work out well, right? There's probably an actual solution that isn't stupid but I'll be hosed if i know what it is.

It would be pretty funny though if sociopathy is what caused the last big migration out of Africa.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hatebag posted:

Ok but if human nature gave rise to how humans are right now then that means that humanity today is just as much the natural state of humans as semi-nomadic people following animal herds, unless some outside factor or evolutionary change shaped human nature. Evolution can be pretty quick too, like 10 or 100 generations to get a characteristic distributed throughout isolated populations.

So that suggests that if human nature at one point was not horrible, it has changed due to evolution (or perhaps yakub?) since. Hard to say this without it sounding like evopsych horseshit but i think sociopathy evolved at some point in the distant past and was evolutionarily advantageous so now practically every human organization is dominated by sociopaths and the non-sociopathic portion of humanity is conditioned to accept this domination or participate in it if it benefits them.

But, I don't think this is a fundamentally hopeless situation because most people aren't sociopaths and sociopathy is a spectrum disorder. Maybe someone can make anti-sociopathy drugs and put them in the water supply, idk. Maybe all the sociopaths could be CRISPRd regular. Technological solutions to broad social problems usually work out well, right? There's probably an actual solution that isn't stupid but I'll be hosed if i know what it is.

It would be pretty funny though if sociopathy is what caused the last big migration out of Africa.

quote:

"So what's your point? Smarter animal, less self-awareness? Chimpanzees are becoming nonsentient?"

"Or they were, before we stopped everything in its tracks."

"So why didn't that happen to us?"

"What makes you think it didn't?"

It was such an obviously stupid question that Sascha didn't have an answer for it. I could imagine her gaping in the silence.

"You're not thinking this through," Cunningham said. "We're not talking about some kind of zombie lurching around with its arms stretched out, spouting mathematical theorems. A smart automaton would blend in. It would observe those around it, mimic their behavior, act just like everyone else. All the while completely unaware of what it was doing. Unaware even of its own existence... Oh, it might not be perfect. It might be a bit redundant, or resort to the occasional expository infodump. But even real people do that, don't they?"

"And eventually, there aren't any real people left. Just robots pretending to give a poo poo."

"Perhaps. Depends on the population dynamics, among other things. But I'd guess that at least one thing an automaton lacks is empathy; if you can't feel, you can't really relate to something that does, even if you act as though you do. Which makes it interesting to note how many sociopaths show up in the world's upper echelons, hmm? How ruthlessness and bottom-line self-interest are so lauded up in the stratosphere, while anyone showing those traits at ground level gets carted off into detention with the Realists. Almost as if society itself is being reshaped from the inside out."

"Oh, come on. Society was always pretty— wait, you're saying the world's corporate elite are nonsentient?"

"God, no. Not nearly. Maybe they're just starting down that road. Like chimpanzees."

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Hatebag posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hatebag posted:

Ok but if human nature gave rise to how humans are right now then that means that humanity today is just as much the natural state of humans as semi-nomadic people following animal herds, unless some outside factor or evolutionary change shaped human nature.

Capitalism did. Capitalism warps human nature to exaggerate greed and atrophy compassion. Humans are not biologically as cruel as society has programmed them to be, nor are the evils of modern society a result of biological programming. There are plenty of other causes for evil, material and otherwise, without needing to immediately jump to Darwin to explain everything.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Capitalism did. Capitalism warps human nature to exaggerate greed and atrophy compassion. Humans are not biologically as cruel as society has programmed them to be, nor are the evils of modern society a result of biological programming. There are plenty of other causes for evil, material and otherwise, without needing to immediately jump to Darwin to explain everything.

Capitalism wasn't handed down to humanity by the gods though. It developed based on previous economic systems which in turn developed because of how people organize into groups. That's not to say it was destined to develop or anything, because obviously different environmental or social factors could have created a different dominant economic system, but it's not alien to man. So saying "oh it's just that bad capitalism" does not really explain human history prior to 1800

Capitalism alienates people from their labor and their neighbors to make them more profitable for rich people. A better system is possible, but i don't think it makes sense to say that capitalism or mercantilism or feudalism are why humanity is brutal, volent, and stupid. The whole point of civilization is to make it so that people don't just murder you and loot your corpse so that everyone can focus on making pots and roads. If humans weren't capable of so much cruelty and indifference there wouldn't need to be civilization.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

yo dawg i heard you like trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rad2h0BPRI

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/officialDannyT/status/1509593855561240587?t=w6ycDlpUCET_HyS0grCI1g&s=19

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hatebag posted:

Capitalism wasn't handed down to humanity by the gods though. It developed based on previous economic systems which in turn developed because of how people organize into groups. That's not to say it was destined to develop or anything, because obviously different environmental or social factors could have created a different dominant economic system, but it's not alien to man. So saying "oh it's just that bad capitalism" does not really explain human history prior to 1800

Capitalism alienates people from their labor and their neighbors to make them more profitable for rich people. A better system is possible, but i don't think it makes sense to say that capitalism or mercantilism or feudalism are why humanity is brutal, volent, and stupid. The whole point of civilization is to make it so that people don't just murder you and loot your corpse so that everyone can focus on making pots and roads. If humans weren't capable of so much cruelty and indifference there wouldn't need to be civilization.

I don't think it was biological aspects of humanity that created capitalism, if there is a Darwinian element it is a social one not a genetic one.

And a big ol' nope on the bolded section, this is an old Hobbesian trope. Civilization formed for a whole bunch of reasons, none of which were safety from human cruelty.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Conceptual James here having a normal one

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/georgew00385344/status/1509558757411495943?s=20&t=yLhgdusglQGy7E2Ir1ubyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not untrue.