Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Getting everyones soldiers maimed to keep a captive consumer base for my opiates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Good prospects for Cold War mods already :catdrugs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I assume it's not actually the case but the map looks like it's covered in little gray socks.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Poil posted:

I assume it's not actually the case but the map looks like it's covered in little gray socks.

It looks like silver and gold. Currency backing? An overview of economic power?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1509561407062228996

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

It looks like silver and gold. Currency backing? An overview of economic power?

How expensive Opium is in that particular province, probably.

Anyway Opium Wars are Opium Wars. I continue to be impressed by the journal system in this game, which looks to provide a nice middle ground between guaranteed railroading and simulationist history.

Also, more importantly, next week is everyone's favorite topic, revolutions.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I'm really digging the writing in these events.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellioning posted:

I continue to be impressed by the journal system in this game, which looks to provide a nice middle ground between guaranteed railroading and simulationist history.
Also popup spam reduction, which is needed for other PDX games like Stellaris and EU4.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
always wild to hear a new term coined to describe a problem i didnt think existed

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lady Radia posted:

always wild to hear a new term coined to describe a problem i didnt think existed
Are you responding to my post about reducing popup spam? Do you play those games and never find yourself clicking on a lot of popups?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Has there been a dev diary on currency markets yet, or how the price of gold/silver will affect the global economy? The balance of trade was a major factor in both Opium Wars. In the first, one factor which caused the British to desire to keep trading opium was that this was a commodity that Chinese traders would accept in exchange for their trade goods, when they were officially required to sell goods only for specie. In the second, Chinese concerns over the loss of silver from their domestic market (the supply of silver being heavily affected by the various independence movements in the Spanish Empire's American holdings) prompted the Qing government to crack down once more on opium. The currency crisis was also a big driver of the economic unrest which incited (along with racial discrimination against the Hakka) the Taiping Rebellion.

As an aside, I recently read a book, Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom, which detailed the history of the Taiping Rebellion and the second Opium War, and definitely had a bit of twinge of guilt. Reading about the various internal Chinese crises and rebellions, one of my first thoughts was "Oh man, if I were playing Victoria I'd invade China in a heartbeat if they had these sorts of problems." Then comes the descriptions of the war crimes and privation among the citizenry...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also popup spam reduction, which is needed for other PDX games like Stellaris and EU4.

Not to mention Vicky 2 which was maybe the worst offender. The first tractor in Pennsylvania? Neat. First tractor in California? Okay, sure. First tractor in Michigan? Oh gently caress there's almost 50 more of these

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

lmao

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Having a nervous breakdown because you failed an exam, then hallucinating that you're Jesus's brother and it's time to launch a bloody rebellion? Incredibly relatable, honestly

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

We've all been there, really

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm the guy who failed an exam and maybe thought about launching a bloody rebellion once, and then went back to playing games.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

quote:

If China succeeds in suppressing the flow of opium while withstanding the onslaught of the Great Powers, the course of history is altered and the addiction crisis will be resolved. All its primary cultures will lose their Opium Obsession, and the negative modifiers representing the effects of widespread addiction will be removed.

Just like the war on drugs irl!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I can't wait for the modern day mod which adds things like Fentanyl, videogames, and findomming.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tbf Mao's suppression of opium is the most successfully waged drug war that I can think of. A bit outside V3's time period.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
thers probably a bunch of Roman drugs that they successfully pushed to extinction by over consumption

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The romans drove a contraceptive plant to extinction. Go to horny jail, Roman Empire.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Romans seemed to generally think that Silphium was some kind of wonder herb and it only liked growing in a specific part of North Africa so it didn't have great chances

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

contaceptive and aphrodisiac! solves both sides of the equation!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Looking at how rhinos and elephants are faring, it doesn't seem like humans have changed much since then.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you think this game will ever come out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not at all

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
At least we got a lot of cool concept art out of it

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if it comes out it can disappoint us

if it doesn't we will let wiz drag us to the final circle of hell with increasingly awesome and exciting dev diaries

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vagabong posted:

At least we got a lot of cool concept art out of it

Yeah, I think the guys doing the paintings for the dev diary headers have done a fantastic job. I particularly like how they've generally focused on PEOPLE, rather than the big fancy Victorian tech. It adds an important humanizing touch to what might otherwise been an industrial game about making numbers bigger, reminding you that it wasn't just an industrial revolution going on but a societal one as well and that people were watching massive changes happening to their world while both just trying to live in it as well as trying to understand it.

Indirectly makes me hopeful for the rest of the game since if such a clear vision was communicated to the art team, that same coherent vision would presumably be driving the design team as well.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

let wiz drag us to the final circle of hell with increasingly awesome and exciting dev diaries

Victoria III Dev Diary #8,436: Using Quantum Cloud Computing to Simulate Napoleon III’s Mood Swings

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, I read the last 500 something posts going back to January.

There were a few pages at the beginning discussing the player having incomplete or unreliable information.

I really think that has to be in the game in some form of corruption mechanic. Else, how could they simulate the Qing dynasty and its problems?

Just look at what happened this year, in 2022 with Putin! Because of endemic kleptocratic corruption, he had a completely wrong understanding of the strength of his adversaries and of his own army.

Qing's problem was on this level.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The fundamental issue is that making decisions based off of bad information in a game entirely about information is just always going to feel bad.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hellioning posted:

The fundamental issue is that making decisions based off of bad information in a game entirely about information is just always going to feel bad.

Pretty sure Putin feels bad that he is losing a war that he thought was going to be over in 3 days.

Sometimes the player needs to lose.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hellioning posted:

I think the only way to make a game like that fun is to make that the core mechanic in the game, as explicitly as possible.

I've always wanted to make a business simulator, but the whole problem is that you don't have a reliable way to evaluate the skills of any employees: HR, accounting, management, production, they're all almost a complete mystery.
And sure, you can hire someone to run interviews and do research on candidates, but if they're bad at their job then they're probably just going to look at the college they graduated from and hire people from the same school they went to, or even worse just go full nepotism and hire all their lovely family members.

Of course, if you're trying to play it like a normal business game, it'll be incredibly frustrating. Instead, you'd have to almost treat it like a social deduction/werewolf game.

So anyways, probably not a good thing to tack onto a different game that's not built around the concept from the start.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

Pretty sure Putin feels bad that he is losing a war that he thought was going to be over in 3 days.

i genuinely think "putin is losing so the player experience should not be fun" is my favorite loving post in Games history. holy poo poo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

think about it, michigan losing the toledo war is proof that victoria 3 should make ohio its own (unaccepted and unacceptable) culture.

sometimes the ohioans need to pay.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

make ohio its own (unaccepted and unacceptable) culture

this just seems factually accurate tho

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah im kind of mad i talked myself into it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think the only way to make a game like that fun is to make that the core mechanic in the game, as explicitly as possible.

I've always wanted to make a business simulator, but the whole problem is that you don't have a reliable way to evaluate the skills of any employees: HR, accounting, management, production, they're all almost a complete mystery.
And sure, you can hire someone to run interviews and do research on candidates, but if they're bad at their job then they're probably just going to look at the college they graduated from and hire people from the same school they went to, or even worse just go full nepotism and hire all their lovely family members.

Of course, if you're trying to play it like a normal business game, it'll be incredibly frustrating. Instead, you'd have to almost treat it like a social deduction/werewolf game.

So anyways, probably not a good thing to tack onto a different game that's not built around the concept from the start.

Yeah, I suppose.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I am not sure who has to tell you this but things in real life are not always things that should go in video games.