Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nodosaur posted:

I just don't see the need for some kind of inciting event. Just say that mutants have been in hiding and only now are starting to emerge more readily. Keep the storytelling baggage out of it.

That might have worked of they hadn't just done it with Eternals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eternals aren't common enough to just be general members of the population who may not want jack or poo poo to do with superheroics.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

They wrote themselves into a corner with Thanos. Because if you say mutants always existed and plenty of them were running around all this time, you're going to have answer the tired old question of why didn't they didn't help against Thanos. They already had to do it with Eternals, very prominently a trailer no less. And they keep doing it with new heroes as well (i.e. Yelena).

Also for the love of a mutant god, jettison the Fox movies and start from scratch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How would mutants have helped against Thanos, anyways? Everything in Infinity War happened over the course of a couple of days with nothing happening in one place long enough for people to show up unless they were already there or had foreknowledge.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thanos was only on Earth for like 5 minutes the first time, and like 30 the second. It makes sense to ask the Eternals if they said they were here to protect the planet why they didn't help.

You just have the X-Men being formed in the wake of the snap with a small group during that 5 year period, then when everyone returns, the school expanded and now with experience and more mutants and the loss of the Avengers, the X-Men are now more visible as they step up to fill the void.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the Thanos ships you didn't see attacked the Xavier school and the X-Men were busy protecting the children while it all happened.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
destiny saw Thanos coming and said let's sit this one out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Given that the entire point of mutants is that they can be anyone and don't have "origins" explaining their powers, I think that having them come from the Snap is well-intentioned but kind of misses the thing that makes them an applicable metaphor. Like, if we want to get into the contradiction that mutants are hated and feared while other superheroes are beloved, that's the crux of the issue, the reason it works at all.

Also my immediate reaction to "massive event that gives previously normal people superpowers" is that that's not mutants, it's Inhumans.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

site posted:

destiny saw Thanos coming and said let's sit this one out

I love this. Destiny right after her vision. " Lol. Just lmfao. Oh it's nothing. Nevermind guys."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mutants were persecuted in the past so Xavier has always kept them in hiding.

Magneto has had enough of that poo poo and his splinter group he's been fostering all this time decides to take it to the humans who treated them so badly.

Cue the theme music.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not mutants in general you need to explain away it's just the X-Men. The X-Men need not have existed for many years by the time we get them in the MCU and the more time that passes between their introduction and any of the big Avengers fights the less they need to excuse their absence. Thanos' last battle on Earth gets further and further away with each new movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

Thanos was only on Earth for like 5 minutes the first time, and like 30 the second. It makes sense to ask the Eternals if they said they were here to protect the planet why they didn't help.

It doesn't make sense to ask the Eternals why they didn't help. They weren't in the loop. Even Nick Fury only became vaguely aware of the invasion in Wakanda right as the Snap happened.

Even if they were made aware that Thanos was on Earth, either time, it's not like they had the means to get to his location so quickly. It's only their fault if the resurrected Strange himself confronted them and they said no.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Or, they're from an alternative universe.
Mutants were a stand in for people of color and then the LGBTQ+ community, now they can represent immigrants. I mean that allegory breaks down after the first generation of mutants since your preteen can't turn out to be an immigrant but whatever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, how about this?

Mutants always existed, but in small numbers (one in every million people). Some tended to have minor, hide-able powers and did their best to live as "normal". Others might have gone the Morlock route and fled to sewers or otherwise live in exile. Any events with strange powers are incorrectly attributed to witchcraft or hallucinations. If you told me the Obi-wan was a mutant with weird powers, it's believable enough.

As of the nuclear age, mutants became more common and started popping up more frequently, but still tended to hide their identities whenever possible and downplay their uniqueness. There is no unifying action or mutant support groups. No one is openly a mutant, weird unexplained poo poo just happens around people sometimes. And since mutant powers tend to appear in early teen years, probably a high number of runaways.

Slowly, underground groups begin to emerge, clandestine meetings happen and like minded people start to band together. Some people lament their poor luck in life to have been born this way, others embrace it and still others see it as a natural advantage over normal humans.

If you want to work in the snap to the narrative, it happens, and half of everybody, mutants included disappear without a trace.

This ignites the friendship of Charles and Eric who decide to work together to determine what makes them unique and so they can work towards a world that has mutants that no longer need to hide or be ashamed. There's no need to look for a cure, because there is nothing wrong with them. Together they build cerebro to try and find other mutants.

You can find another, more recent atrocity to hitch Magneto to, but, because of his experience with hatred and genocide and other assorted horrors believes that only through mutant superiority (and possibly full on genocide) can all mutant-kind find peace. Meanwhile Charles truly believes that a peaceful co-existence can be achieved between mutants and humans

So, yeah, mutants existed before the snap, the X-men and the Brotherhood did not exist until after the snap - Easy Peasy

Or, for another idea, a version of the X-men existed before the snap, but they disappeared. Charles assumes it was the snap, but they were actually going to investigate Krakoa when they vanished. They never got blipped, they were held captive on Krakoa, and in the intervening 5 years, he decided to recruit and build a new team. It doesn't have to be the original 5 that went to Krakoa like in GSX1, it could be 5 originals.

Or if you really want to make the divide personal, it was a team led by Magneto and a few Brotherhood regulars who went to investigate Krakoa because hey, giant mutant activity in the pacific. And Charles is the one that got snapped away. So nobody knew Magneto was there being held prisoner for years, being sucked dry by a living island. It's a terrible misunderstanding, but Magneto believes that Charles purposely left him there because he knew that Magneto was too powerful and would eventually get his way, unless he was eliminated.

Sorry, that's a lot of word vomit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Alternate-alternate take:

Mutants don't actually exist. "Mutant" is just a word for "person with powers" made up by people who want to other them, and they don't actually have a shared origin except in mutual persecution.

(This is useful because it helps avoid the issue current comics have where mutants are zealots for the supremacy of mutants, which means people with an active X-gene, but not people who are completely identical in all respects except for having the Y-gene instead.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

It doesn't make sense to ask the Eternals why they didn't help. They weren't in the loop. Even Nick Fury only became vaguely aware of the invasion in Wakanda right as the Snap happened.

Even if they were made aware that Thanos was on Earth, either time, it's not like they had the means to get to his location so quickly. It's only their fault if the resurrected Strange himself confronted them and they said no.

Ikaris and Makkari could've made it!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Oh boy

https://twitter.com/ctropes/status/1509665155285544974?s=21&t=RM53xlaKgInwLiWYBrIg_A

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They will have to explain what all the best mutants, who are also all the unnnaturally long-lived mutants, were doing during the events of First Avenger

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess if they keep the current status quo they could say that Moira had them all staying in the shadows as their actions in previous timelines led to stuff like The Avengers never forming, Thanos winning, etc. Would give them a decent reason and let the old X movies still be kind of cannon

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

How would mutants have helped against Thanos, anyways? Everything in Infinity War happened over the course of a couple of days with nothing happening in one place long enough for people to show up unless they were already there or had foreknowledge.

Listen if there's one thing reading comics has taught me it's that Wolverine is at literally every big event in history, it doesn't matter if it makes sense. He's the best at what he does, and what he does is be in like 4 comics that occur simultaneously. So even if the other mutants couldn't have made it, Wolverine should have been in Wakanda and in the battle on Titan and dissolving in NYC with Nick Fury.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mameluke posted:

They will have to explain what all the best mutants, who are also all the unnnaturally long-lived mutants, were doing during the events of First Avenger

Wolverine will just walk into a bar and Bucky will be like "Logan! We sure did have some adventures together!", pat him on the back, and not another word will be said about it

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So. Morbius.

For the first half, I feel like it's a competent movie. It just isn't an interesting movie. Jared Leto does what he can with the material and it doesn't amount to much because it really isn't fun or gripping. Then Matt Smith suddenly comes to life and does everything he can to carry the rest of the movie with his camp. Everything starts to get increasingly stupid, but Smith makes it almost worthwhile. Almost. Then it rushes into a finale and the final 30 seconds will have you going, "Haha, what?"

The post-credits scenes are amazing in how stupid and slapdash they are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spoil 'em

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Scene 1: The sky briefly cracks open like at the end of No Way Home. In an empty prison cell, Adrian Toomes suddenly appears. He looks in the mirror and at his surroundings, seems confused, then shrugs and says, "I hope the food's better here." Then a news report talks about how he teleported there and that there's talk about letting him go free.

Scene 2: Morbius drives off into the middle of nowhere and gets out of his car. The Vulture flies over to him and says that he's been reading up on him. He isn't sure how he came to be in this world, but figures that it relates to Spider-Man. He suggests that the two start working together "to do some good." Morbius calls the offer "intriguing" and that's it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That's all... huh

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds like Sony hasn’t learned anything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gavok posted:

Scene 1: The sky briefly cracks open like at the end of No Way Home. In an empty prison cell, Adrian Toomes suddenly appears. He looks in the mirror and at his surroundings, seems confused, then shrugs and says, "I hope the food's better here." Then a news report talks about how he teleported there and that there's talk about letting him go free.

Scene 2: Morbius drives off into the middle of nowhere and gets out of his car. The Vulture flies over to him and says that he's been reading up on him. He isn't sure how he came to be in this world, but figures that it relates to Spider-Man. He suggests that the two start working together "to do some good." Morbius calls the offer "intriguing" and that's it.

Is that seriously the entire extent of Vulture showing up in this mess? :laffo: if so

Open Marriage Night posted:

Sounds like Sony hasn’t learned anything.

I mean when have they ever?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that seriously the entire extent of Vulture showing up in this mess? :laffo: if so

I mean when have they ever?

I mean they made Spider-Verse.

Also they didn't make ASM3 so that was a smart move

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Adrian Toomes, teleporting to a new universe after exposing himself to alien technology and experiencing half of the universe disappearing because of an alien tyrant gathering space gems: I bet Spider-Man did this to me.

Also at this point it's safe to say there's absolutely no coherent rules surrounding the spells Strange cast, right?

TwoPair posted:

Also they didn't make ASM3 so that was a smart move

They haven't made it yet. But there have been people wanting to see ASM3 happen because of No Way Home, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if all Sony's stuff is connected to that universe and they explore that further now.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh for god sake,just make all marvel movies cgi and be done with it,nobody would be able to tell the loving difference and Disney can George Lucas edit that poo poo from now till forever.

5 different versions of thor walking down a hallway with added cgi creatures in the background and foreground

Endless edits of spiderman and ironman movies with different costumes

Hulk joe fixit cut

Wolverine danny devito cut

Avengers all 70’s costumes cut $15.99 only on D+

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

TwoPair posted:

I mean they made Spider-Verse.

At this point I’m believing that Spider-Verse was completely ignored by execs because “it’s just a cartoon” and therefore free from their meddling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The plans to have Lord and Miller make an animated Spider-Man was actually in the infamous leaked nbd, tough mudder emails. Making it Spider-Verse and starring Miles was all Lord and Miller though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 1, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joe Fisto posted:

At this point I’m believing that Spider-Verse was completely ignored by execs because “it’s just a cartoon” and therefore free from their meddling.

They might also just have confidence in Lord & Miller, who have a good track record especially when it comes to animated projects.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But I bet money that they are now interested in Spider-Verse 2 and will meddle the poo poo out of it

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Lobok posted:

They might also just have confidence in Lord & Miller, who have a good track record especially when it comes to animated projects.

I do find it hard to buy that Sony execs would make a good decision on purpose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joe Fisto posted:

I do find it hard to buy that Sony execs would make a good decision on purpose.

Fair but I figure animation is harder to meddle in, other than at the beginning.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Alternate-alternate take:

Mutants don't actually exist. "Mutant" is just a word for "person with powers" made up by people who want to other them, and they don't actually have a shared origin except in mutual persecution.

(This is useful because it helps avoid the issue current comics have where mutants are zealots for the supremacy of mutants, which means people with an active X-gene, but not people who are completely identical in all respects except for having the Y-gene instead.)

Not reading the current comics, are ya?

I don't think retroactively calling everyone with powers in the MCU mutants is going to be a very popular call, and is pretty nonsensical given the amount of persecution the Avengers have faced, ie none at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morbius: a nonstop whirlwind of teeth and claws! You will believe in a bat man. When you watch it at home, you will need plasma: a high resolution plasma tv!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Morbius: a nonstop whirlwind of teeth and claws! You will believe in a bat man. When you watch it at home, you will need plasma: a high resolution plasma tv!

Is it wrong that I read this in Krusty the Clown's voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Adrian Toomes, teleporting to a new universe after exposing himself to alien technology and experiencing half of the universe disappearing because of an alien tyrant gathering space gems: I bet Spider-Man did this to me.

Well, in a way, he's not wrong.