Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is kinda funny given at around the same time you had so many shows specifically having Spinoff Babies, and I swear this predates Rugrats. It was probably some marketing firm's idea.

I think Muppet Babies was the first such spinoff show, dating that trend back to the 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pakled posted:

I think Muppet Babies was the first such spinoff show, dating that trend back to the 80's.

And one of the few shows to actually do the concept well as I recall (speaking of, didn’t that series get rebooted in some capacity recently and is said reboot any good?)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

(speaking of, didn’t that series get rebooted in some capacity recently and is said reboot any good?)
There's a computer animated muppet babies series that just wrapped up.

My preschool age kids like it. I don't remember enough specifics about the 1984 series to compare.

Not something I would recommend for adults, even as a nostalgia trip. Though sometimes it's neat when someone like Dr. Teeth shows up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
See, Muppets it might make sense to have a 'babies' spinoff for since the original Muppet Show might well have a lot of gags that'll go over young kids' heads, as well as it being an adaptation of a very different format. So many 'babies' shows just come off as redundant and kids tend to grow out of them a lot faster than they do of actual full on kids fare when they have the grown-up version available.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

We just need to stop buying their plastic crap! This will not happen :smith: The most recent contrivance is one of them became mother of dragons or some poo poo and fought with a doberman.

Dognaerys Barkgaryen?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a whole thing where a lot of a lot of light entertainment over time gets deemed "kid stuff" as it ages. The Muppet Show was Jim Henson's big attempt at establishing himself as more than just a children's entertainer after having made his mark with Sesame Street (and getting hosed over by SNL). That's why one of the original pilots for the Muppet Show was titled "sex and violence" as part of an effort to get away from his former image. After finally succeeding with the Muppets, he was fine with more child-focused projects (or letting subordinates develop child-focused projects while he went off focusing on his own stuff).

Also a lot of Jim Henson's variety show work relied on less aggressive copyright-holders than there are now. I don't suppose that'd help any attempts at revival.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pakled posted:

not technically babies, but didn't the flintstone kids happen before that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

not technically babies, but didn't the flintstone kids happen before that?

Nope that was in ‘86, Muppet Babies started in 1984

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I thought it was that Krypto cartoon.

its actual the new Pound Puppies that was on the pony channel. Dog MIB except its match making kids with good doggos. Also both shows are examples of "young" adult protags doing things in their world.

Also Da Youtube Algorithm recently reminded me of Iron Man: Armored Adventures and its opening theme slaps. and I think nerds general hold the show as good?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The only Iron Man opening anyone needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

Nope that was in ‘86, Muppet Babies started in 1984

ah interesting

:hai:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best cartoon show of all time is old enough to drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7S1Pm_2N2k

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
E: This is not the correct thread for this post!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
So apparently there's a new Fairly Oddparents show on Nick, which normally I would not care about in the slightest, but I saw this clip posted on Twitter and good lord:

https://twitter.com/PersonthePerso2/status/1509606406323900417?s=20&t=oiYGaGSLfd5wfnhLGKZ1BA

I'm pretty sure there are ham sandwiches with a higher budget than this animation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Between this and Sponge Bob / Rugrats, I'm not super thrilled by what the new Avatar show is gonna look like on Paramount.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So apparently there's a new Fairly Oddparents show on Nick, which normally I would not care about in the slightest, but I saw this clip posted on Twitter and good lord:

https://twitter.com/PersonthePerso2/status/1509606406323900417?s=20&t=oiYGaGSLfd5wfnhLGKZ1BA

I'm pretty sure there are ham sandwiches with a higher budget than this animation.

Are we entirely sure that this was produced for a major streaming service in 2022 and not, like, some unearthed flash movie made for nick.com in 2004?

edit: apparently the show is mostly a live-action kidcom with the fairies as animated characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFeVZwfl0eg

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 1, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cosmo's voice sounds incredibly off...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's wild to me that they didn't even really bother matching mouth animation to the voices
Like they animated it and then dubbed in dialogue later
It looks like an anime fandub
but of a high schooler's fmv anime that got blam'd on newgrounds

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It is ASTOUNDING how bad that looks. The live action stuff is always bad anyway, but this is somehow on another level.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why they're still doing three-camera sitcoms like that with a laugh track* in this day and age. I mean the easiest guess is budget but I don't know how it could by that much cheaper than a single-cam with a better set.

*(I have to assume it's a laugh track, I can't imagine a show that effects-heavy with multiple animated characters around is actually filmed in front of an audience).

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I don't know why they're still doing three-camera sitcoms like that with a laugh track* in this day and age. I mean the easiest guess is budget but I don't know how it could by that much cheaper than a single-cam with a better set.

*(I have to assume it's a laugh track, I can't imagine a show that effects-heavy with multiple animated characters around is actually filmed in front of an audience).

I think it’s just that’s what those producers and directors are used to doing. Most of them came from TGIF and Saved by the Bell on Network TV, and when the family/teen sitcom died over there they just jumped ship to cable. Feel like most of the better ones either come from people who were making better versions of the latter shows already (Suite Life) or people who were already making multi cam sitcoms but for adults (KC Undercover)

Otherwise it’s still mostly the same group of people who were making shows that were considered out of touch 20 years ago

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Between this and Sponge Bob / Rugrats, I'm not super thrilled by what the new Avatar show is gonna look like on Paramount.

wait dont you mean the live action one on netflix?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t the creators say a while back that there were some new animated Avatar shows coming in the future (not sure if there’s been any update on that recently though)?

Also somewhat related, Dragon Prince Season 4 still doesn’t have a release date yet does it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, they’ve announced that there are plans for an “expanded Avatar-verse” including an MMO, though I’m personally ambivalent on it, in no small part because of how Nick was constantly jerking their chain around during Korra.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Why would you ever do Crocker from the front angle?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

wait dont you mean the live action one on netflix?

There's plans for an aninated film and an animated show, both on Paramount+, in addition to the live action Netflix thang.

No news for a while, but that's typical of new animation, particularly under covid. There's been no news about most of HBO Max's upcoming animated line-up, but AFAIK that's all still happening too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, there's an ANIMATED avatar series planned? i know there was that live action one that the original creators bailed on, so dunno what's up with that. but this is the first i'm hearing of an animated revival/sequel/whatever

btw, i gots me a question. there was this one show a good while back (early to mid 2000s). i don't know where it first aired but i saw it on toon disney and it was about this bat that was trying to find his way back home and he meets up with the girl bat, who was pink* i believe (cause of course). i only saw a handful of episodes but from what i recall, it seemed pretty good, with somewhat of a more serious tone. but i only saw it once and i have absolutely no idea what it was called and never saw anyone mention it again.

anyone know what i'm talking about?

*she might have been purple possibly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, there's an ANIMATED avatar series planned? i know there was that live action one that the original creators bailed on, so dunno what's up with that. but this is the first i'm hearing of an animated revival/sequel/whatever

btw, i gots me a question. there was this one show a good while back (early to mid 2000s). i don't know where it first aired but i saw it on toon disney and it was about this bat that was trying to find his way back home and he meets up with the girl bat, who was pink* i believe (cause of course). i only saw a handful of episodes but from what i recall, it seemed pretty good, with somewhat of a more serious tone. but i only saw it once and i have absolutely no idea what it was called and never saw anyone mention it again.

anyone know what i'm talking about?

*she might have been purple possibly

I've never heard of it but the only thing close that I can find is Silverwing, could that have been it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverwing_(TV_series)

Also an obscure mostly lost show that has some really great surviving episodes that more people should check out is Captain Zed and the Zee Zone, an old british cartoon from decades ago. This is literally the only way to watch the surviving episodes, this one playlist of degraded quality (but still watchable) surviving episodes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7xBRbHI5IpiXo6UiYLqs1PPVi9hJeG23 (the degradation is that these were the only episodes to make it to VHS, and the remaining episodes only got aired on TV and obv nobody bothered to record any of them, or if they did those recordings got so badly degraded that the audio is non-existent due to white noise. It's literally a lost cartoon, not JUST obscure. Fun though.)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I've never heard of it but the only thing close that I can find is Silverwing, could that have been it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverwing_(TV_series)

YES! that's the one. grazie!

i last saw this over 15 years ago so maybe my memory might be misleading me, but i recall enjoying it at the time. but apparently it only has 13 episodes. bummer

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mr Interweb posted:

i last saw this over 15 years ago so maybe my memory might be misleading me, but i recall enjoying it at the time. but apparently it only has 13 episodes. bummer

Captain Zed only has 10 that survived, which is a shame as it was fun from what I saw on youtube a bit ago.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

It's the just right level of obscurity to be hard to remember but also have multiple people put it up on Youtube without getting taken down.

There's a lot of short, weird Canadian shows from the way that Canada puts funding and legal support into locally-produced content to put on TV to compete with the behemoth of American TV, but their production system doesn't encourage shows to try extending indefinitely or shoot for syndication like American ones do. I think it's common practice in Canada for people to sign away their residuals beforehand. Or at least it was last time I heard about their production process.

Which also reminds me of how I watched through a playlist of Hannah Barbera show theme songs, and it really struck me how basically all of their notable characters were established during the 60s and for the entirety of the 70s, none of their new IPs ever got more than 16 episodes, so they really were churning out trash. They got a bit of a boost in the 80s from new toy advertising cartoons and getting lucky with the Smurfs, but I think getting bought by Turner and getting incorporated into Cartoon Network was what secured the company's legacy.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have you kept up with the comics?

As someone who loved Imbalance, if they don't go Faith's route or at least heavily fine-tune/edit up Gene's output, then we're in trouble.

At least we're getting a Yangchen novel, so that's something to look forward to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tactless Ogre posted:

Have you kept up with the comics?

No, sorry, I haven't. Though I've really liked the art every time I've glanced at them.

TBH I've assumed we'd be seeing another completely new cycle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got around to starting the Animaniacs reboot's season 2 and while the Warner's sketch while amusing was predicated on some easy and dated jokes the Pinky and the Brain segment in the first episode had a great flow to it because of the central idea that Pinky and The Brain had merged into one person and their brains were being rewired to match one another - Brain's mostly worried he'll become stupid but it works out very differently, and by the final scene they've hit a kind of perfect plateau, where while Brain is losing his ability to remember certain key words and getting distracted a bit too easily, Pinky's starting to pick up the slack, so they are perfectly in sync, cracking dumb jokes to each other while instructing each other on how to build a makeshift version of the machine they need to separate again. It was interesting because they were both relaxed but also laser focused on what needed to be done.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's the just right level of obscurity to be hard to remember but also have multiple people put it up on Youtube without getting taken down.

There's a lot of short, weird Canadian shows from the way that Canada puts funding and legal support into locally-produced content to put on TV to compete with the behemoth of American TV, but their production system doesn't encourage shows to try extending indefinitely or shoot for syndication like American ones do. I think it's common practice in Canada for people to sign away their residuals beforehand. Or at least it was last time I heard about their production process.

Which also reminds me of how I watched through a playlist of Hannah Barbera show theme songs, and it really struck me how basically all of their notable characters were established during the 60s and for the entirety of the 70s, none of their new IPs ever got more than 16 episodes, so they really were churning out trash. They got a bit of a boost in the 80s from new toy advertising cartoons and getting lucky with the Smurfs, but I think getting bought by Turner and getting incorporated into Cartoon Network was what secured the company's legacy.

One thing you have to remember is that many of Hanna-Barbera's shows were anthologies or programming blocks of two or more cartoons put together, so even though a lot of their shows didn't last long in their original formats, many of them would have long lives in syndication packages or being repackaged into new programming block combinations, so in all likelihood H-B probably didn't see most of these shows having short original runs as equalling them being failures

Also while the stereotype is for H-B shows to be derivative of each other, I'd say there was still a surprising amount of creativity being put into a lot of their shows, most obvious in their various "Action Shows" but even their more derivative genres would show that occasionally

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like when it comes to Hannah-Barbera(I'm going to cheat a little and count Ruby-Spears as part of this cause it was founded by former H-B employees, had a similar style in its shows, and ended up getting bought and merged back into H-B anyways) people definitely are too willing to just call their stuff crap, when the truth is definitely more complicated, overall I feel their output can be placed into four rough categories;

The Good Shows: the cream of the crop for H-B, shows that are legitimately good in their own right and still generally hold up in the modern day(well if you can ignore or tolerate the occasional bit of racial insensitivity and/or sexism in the oldest stuff here), shows like Johnny Quest, The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo Where Are You!, Thundarr The Barbarian, SWAT KATS, and most of the early Cartoon Network Originals* fall here

The Fun Shows: the show's that while often having some noticeable flaws can still be quite enjoyable if you're in the mood to just turn your brain off and watch some cartoons on your couch with a bunch of snacks like you're a kid again, stuff like The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Jabberjaw, and much of the "genre" output of H-B(stuff like Birdman, Space Ghost, and The Herculoids) goes here

The Meh Shows: where most of H-B's output lies, it's less that these shows are particularly bad for the most part it's just that compared to either the theatrical shorts of the Golden Age or more modern TV shows that began emerging in the 80's through today, these shows just come off as a bit dull, there's still usually some charm to these shows though, this is where many of the Funny Animal shows and the many Flintstones and Scooby-Doo clones end up

The Bad Shows: not as many of these as you'd think really, this is where the truly awful entries go, stuff like Yo Yogi or those seasons of Scooby-Doo where it was just Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy(but not the "Red Shirt Shaggy" movies those are generally in the Fun category cause they had finally figured out how to make Scrappy somewhat work as a character by then), anything that ends up here you should only watch to make fun of, even then it is probably going to be a painful time

*one could make a solid argument that H-B never really died, it just ended up morphing into the current WB Animation Studios, Cartoon Network Studios(heck they recently rebranded their European studio into using the Hannah-Barbera name), and William Street Productions

See also this post I had made in this thread last year about H-B

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Early 00s Cartoon Network played with the Hanna-Barbera branding in the bumper stuff a lot, especially since Adult Swim was basically dredging up its back catalogue to mess with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From its very conception, Cartoon Network was founded on fooling around with old cartoon stuff, and especially in their early days they really plumbed the depths of Hannah Barbera, especially since that was the animation company Turner fully owned instead of just having the rights to its library.

And I think the fact that Cartoon Network was founded on nostalgia for the libraries Turner had the rights to is also why a lot of Hannah-Barbera stuff is better known today than other early TV animation companies like Filmation.

drrockso20 posted:

See also this post I had made in this thread last year about H-B

What I mean is that when you look at the list of their shows, you see the most of the characters they would keep renewing into later incarnations right at the start in the 50s, and as you go further in the 60s there's pretty quickly a dropoff in how prominent most of the newer characters introduced in later shows would be so they immediately start seeming more obscure as they get younger like Mightor, Space Kidettes, or Frankenstein Jr. I like how the original Huckleberry Hound opening features a cavalcade of cartoon characters, except they're not the characters who would be part of the show, they're Kellogg's cereal mascots because their main competition for TV animation at that point is the General Mills-funded Jay Ward.

Right at the end of the 60s, you get H-B creating probably its most fertile property with Scooby Doo, and then the entire 70s are characterized by very few shows getting over 16 episodes, if they do somehow get more episodes, they're usually either related to a pre-70s show, or they're a licensed property. Here's where H-B starts doing sequel shows to Flintstones and starts establishing a "classic" H-B teamup show like Yogi's Gang, where they use only characters from before 1966, and their later teamup shows would continue to still not use any new characters from before the 70s. Globetrotters gets a longer run because it was a thing outside of the cartoon, Josie and the Pussycats gets a second season but in space because it's a pre-existing IP from a comic.

And then in the 80s, you see a bit of a boom from money entering into the animation from the other successful 80s shows, and H-B gets a lot of jobs in collaboration with other companies, but not really many breakout hits. The most that they get is the Smurfs. And eventually the awful Yo Yogi! may be the last show they made independently before Turner bought them and started using them to put out weird new different shows before folding them into Cartoon Network entirely.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Mr Interweb posted:

https://avatar.fandom.com/wiki/Avatar_Studios#:~:text=Avatar%20Studios%20is%20a%20production,Paramount%2B%20on%20February%2024%2C%202021.

quote:

According to DiMartino and Konietzko, they have a multi-tiered plan for the future of the Avatar series. The projects will expand upon the largely unexplored past, as well as the future of the world of Avatar. Each project will feel like Avatar, but will have its own unique tone and look.

Currently, Avatar Studios is working on a new animated theatrical film that is set to start production in late 2021. The film, as well as further planned films, will be made in an original hybrid 2D and computer-generated (CG) style. Another Avatar series is also due to enter production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Pass. I know Korra got better with time but I'd much rather just have Avatar be lightning in a bottle than trying to expand it Star Wars-style into a big universe/ timeline where everybody is related to one another and every important figure in history is only like 3 degrees of separation away from one another.