Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
God has abandoned us, noone's weeping about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

What's the point of drawing from pot 1 anyway? If you're in that pot it literally doesn't matter what group you're placed in until the other pots are drawn, so just assign them each a group from the get-go and start with pot 2.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What's the point of drawing from pot 1 anyway? If you're in that pot it literally doesn't matter what group you're placed in until the other pots are drawn, so just assign them each a group from the get-go and start with pot 2.

For funsies.

This is not shaping up well for the Canucks, lol

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Pleads posted:

For funsies.

This is not shaping up well for the Canucks, lol

Group A would be nice

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

MakaVillian posted:

Group A would be nice

poo poo :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You jinxed it!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Pleads posted:

You jinxed it!

I knocked on wood!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Thank you, Costa Rica.

Thank you.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Yes no group of death

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Group F still scary. How does round robin work, top 2 from each group move into the knockouts?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Pleads posted:

Group F still scary. How does round robin work, top 2 from each group move into the knockouts?

Yeah

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Belgium and Croatia for Canada...good luck then.

Of course Canada is picked last. Of course.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

saving the best for last

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
TSN showing a picture-in-picture of a bewildered John Herdman really brought it all together

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

lol at Richie Laryea just joining the OneSoccer call 30 seconds after the draw, from his phone with kids shouting in the background. Small market rear end stuff. Gotta love it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think that's a totally doable group for Canada. Mexico is going to get annihilated.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

I think that's a totally doable group for Canada. Mexico is going to get annihilated.

Yeah it depends on which Croatia shows up

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Mexico is going to get annihilated.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah it depends on which Croatia shows up

Croatia (Modric) are old. Canada's got a good chance in this group.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Mr. Mambold posted:

Croatia (Modric) are old. Canada's got a good chance in this group.

Kovacic will take over for Luka, but yeah... not the same Croatia

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Despite dodging getting into Group E... If we make it through Group F, we have to face Group E :canada:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
fffuuuuucccckkkkkk

I mean I guess Blegum and Croatia?

We might get a point.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Croatia is old - we'll bully them out of the park with eaaaase to a 1-1 draw

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Welsh guy living in the US, and I have such a dream and it doesn't involve the English getting past the group stage.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Slotducks posted:

Despite dodging getting into Group E... If we make it through Group F, we have to face Group E :canada:

Getting into the knockout rounds would be a huge accomplishment, wouldn't care if Spain/Germany slaughtered us

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MakaVillian posted:

Getting into the knockout rounds would be a huge accomplishment, wouldn't care if Spain/Germany slaughtered us

Tbh I'll be happy if Canada gets a goal or a point

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

stab posted:

Tbh I'll be happy if Canada gets a goal or a point

:hmmyes:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I don't know anything about Morocco and Croatia used to be really good but apparently are old as poo poo now

Blegum though, yikes

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1510026287905230856

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1510029130129199105

we got times

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I actually think it's an excellent group for where Canada is as a team right now. They get to play their first game in a no-pressure situation against one of the best teams in the world to knock the rust off, then they get 2 measuring stick games against countries that are sitting about where the Canadians can realistically hope to climb to if the program can keep building. Morocco especially looks like a good matchup, they also have a younger team and are also a team that has improved their results a lot in the last year or two.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The US got lucky with timings, it shouldn't be nearly as hot that late. England v Iran at 16:00 local time kickoff? loving brutal.

Canada has one late evening game, with two early evening ones. Mexico has two late evening games, with one early evening.

Costa Rica if they advance past New Zealand not only get boned on the group (Spain, Germany, Japan), but they have a 13:00 kickoff for their second game. At least the other two are early and late evening.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Wikipedia says the average high temp in December in Qatar is 25°C/77°F so it shouldn't be uncomfortably hot for anybody really

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Wikipedia says the average high temp in December in Qatar is 25°C/77°F so it shouldn't be uncomfortably hot for anybody really

Here's a guy who's never seen English Twitter in July.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Here's a guy who's never seen English Twitter in July.
I follow an Irish streamer on YouTube & Twitter and last June (I think) he was complaining about how the 20 C (68 F) he was experiencing in Dublin was hot because there wasn't a breeze.

I can understand "uncomfortable" because I've been to London in November and at full humidity about 15 C felt just disgusting to walk around in after a while but 20 C being hot good lord people come on

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Y’all temperate zone havers are spoiled. We’ve gone from 15F to 70F and back within two weeks or so around here. Mid70s for games will be great for these guys, it’s the super compact fixture schedule that will lead to issues

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Omnikin posted:

Y’all temperate zone havers are spoiled. We’ve gone from 15F to 70F and back within two weeks or so around here. Mid70s for games will be great for these guys, it’s the super compact fixture schedule that will lead to issues
When I was a teenager and living in Minneapolis in 2000-2001 we had a now infamous 48-hour stretch around St. Patrick's Day where on day one it was a record-setting 81F (27C) and on day two it snowed an inch and a half.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Yeah. I think last Sat we had a nice coating of snow, under an inch, and this week two 60+ days with thunderstorms. Old men discussing weather. Wish the World Cup was in two months and not 8

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Omnikin posted:

Yeah. I think last Sat we had a nice coating of snow, under an inch, and this week two 60+ days with thunderstorms. Old men discussing weather.
I have to blame that on my dad, who's now 65+, and every goddamn time I talk to him on the phone literally the first thing he wants to talk about is the weather since I live 1,000 miles away from my parents and on the edge of the desert.

It'll be interesting to see if this year's World Cup has knock-on effects with regards to injuries since it's essentially being shoehorned into the traditional league calendar.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Remember that whole "Matt Turner's been out injured because his foot fell off because of the Minnesota game but everyone's too afraid to say anything" rumor?

https://twitter.com/headdturnerr/status/1510287027341869063

Please get well soon, because Steffen during this last window was...yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Remember that whole "Matt Turner's been out injured because his foot fell off because of the Minnesota game but everyone's too afraid to say anything" rumor?

https://twitter.com/headdturnerr/status/1510287027341869063

Please get well soon, because Steffen during this last window was...yeah...

It was like 40-50 degrees on the field in Minnesota, cold but definitely not enough to put anyone in actual danger or instantly cause injuries. Stupid rumor imo