Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I think the important thing to realize is there is no single good spot to build a base that you can play the entire game through. You will end up building a number of satellite factories as you begin to tech up. It happens to some degree with coal, then oil, then quartz, then aluminum and eventually nuclear.

If you want to move the 'center of mass' for your manufacturing at some point that's fine, I would say wait until you have hypertubes then just connect your bases that way.

Yeah, I just wanted a home base that would produce basic poo poo through steel production. I had some decent coal power and steel production set up, belts run, etc and it just wasn't doing it for me so I started to rebuild it more efficiently and just ran out of steam. I dunno. Make a "it doesn't spark joy" joke if you want, but it really didn't sit right. And if I don't move at this point in time, I'll be too invested in that particular area to move it later.

So instead I'm going to make some brutalist monstrosity in the desert. Makes sense to me. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My "I'm not going to do the final tier until I feel like it" projects have been map spanning train loops and ultra fast hypertubes. My side quest has been housing some cute doggos.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Welp, my trek to the dune desert was a success. 3 trips got me enough materials to make a very good start. (Except I forgot the copper sheet for pipes. Oops.)

I've figured out where I want my first coal plant to support building up a construction base to do basic steel, copper and iron production, plus found a suitable spot for my hub/home/evil omnicorp llc satellite office. I honestly don't care that much about finishing the game, I just enjoy doing dumb crap like this.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

I honestly don't care that much about finishing the game, I just enjoy doing dumb crap like this.

I have good news for you!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Vakal posted:

I have good news for you!

I'll spend hundreds of hours playing this game chasing that dopamine hit of stepping back to see a cool structure I made?

FUCKIN AWESOME! :yaybutt:

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just got this game as part of a Hubble bundle and already sunk 8hrs into it. Are there any guides for building compact factories, and do I eventually get access to a rover or hovercar?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

chainchompz posted:

Just got this game as part of a Hubble bundle and already sunk 8hrs into it. Are there any guides for building compact factories, and do I eventually get access to a rover or hovercar?
Awesome! My group started playing about two months ago, and we're planning to send our final space elevator package up TONIGHT. Exciting!

There are three main ways to decrease a factory's footprint:

- Build vertically. Stack up some walls, then build a second foundation level with some catwalk stairs or a ladder up to it. You can then use floor/wall holes and lifts to move items between the floors.

- Get better recipes by finding hard drives in crash sites and researching them in the MAM. The starting recipes are incredibly slow compared to some of the ones you get later. There are recipes that let you cut out entire pieces of a complex build process, or simply build faster by adding a different component (like water).

- Overclock everything. This is not a good general strategy, as power slugs are finite, and you're better off using them on extractors and just building more manufacturing buildings. However, sometimes you need to fit stuff into a small spot, or just want to do a quick and dirty build, and a little overclocking is fine.

Later on you'll get access to increasingly useful transport methods, which will eliminate having to do quite so much on-site intermediate item production. No reason to build screws at every factory if you can make a specialized plant where there's steel available, and then truck/train/drone them anywhere you need them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chainchompz posted:

Making your factories compact is really just about planning out how things will end up. Usually you start with what you want to make and figure out how many you can make with what resources you have. At the start it's pretty easy since the numbers aren't huge. I like to place the machines down first to get my general layout, usually grouping the same parts of the production line together, leaving space by the inputs and outputs for belts and pipes. Laying a big foundation is a good way to get started, you can always put walls on later.

It's honestly better to be more organized than compact since there's lots of space in the world and you can pave over everything to set up production if you want to. Leaving some space for being able to walk around is nice, too, even after you get to hover around.

You get access to a few vehicles, the best one for exploring is the aptly named Explorer which is like a big tube chassis rock crawler looking thing, but it can also go fast and destroys stuff as it runs over. There's also one slot for personal equipment that you'll get to use for different stuff to help you get around outside of vehicles.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Compared to factorio, building compactly just isn't as rewarding. This game is much more about the aesthetic. Or, if you don't care about that, just put floating platforms everywhere and embrace the spaghetti.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Awesome, thanks for the tips! I have played factorio before and so I am sort of familiar with the basics. Being able to build in 3D is part of why I want to figure out how to build up.

I'm glad to hear that eventually I get some sort of craft to move around in. I built a space elevator in a very flat spot but it's quite the trek from my first hub.

I just noticed that message says Hubble not humble, lol whoops.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

- Overclock everything. This is not a good general strategy, as power slugs are finite, and you're better off using them on extractors and just building more manufacturing buildings. However, sometimes you need to fit stuff into a small spot, or just want to do a quick and dirty build, and a little overclocking is fine.

Note: Only do this, once you have tons of power. A single machine at 200% uses a lot more power than 2 at 100%, and 4 machines at 50% use even less (if you have the space).

Another power thing that only matters at the start: The biomass burners only burn fuel at the rate they output power. What people usually do is being close to the maximum, and only adding another one when you trip a breaker. That means they will always burn at the maximum rate. You you need to refuel them all the time.
But if you build a lot more burners than you need, they will still use the same total amount of fuel, but burn it slower, so you don't need to refuel as often.

chainchompz posted:

There are 4 vehicles (+trains), as well as 2 ways top fly: A jetpack, that uses fuel and allows you to fly everywhere, but only for a few seconds until it has to cool down, and a hoverpack that lets you fly forever, but only close to your power lines.

e: actually...5 vehicles, but one of them is a joke thing

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 30, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

chainchompz posted:

I'm glad to hear that eventually I get some sort of craft to move around in. I built a space elevator in a very flat spot but it's quite the trek from my first hub.

Not sure how far you are, but look up how to build hypertube cannons once you've unlocked hypertubes. They use up a decent chunk of power by early game standards but they're by far the most efficient way of traveling long distances once they're set up. Even if you don't have parachutes or the jetpack unlocked yet you can just aim them so that you land in a body of water to negate any fall damage.

What WhiteHowler said about alt recipes is often true, but it's worth looking up the analysis to see which ones are actually good so you don't waste your hard drives:

https://satisfactory.fandom.com/wiki/Hard_Drive/Alternate_recipe_analysis

Even then the site is a bit too generous with some of them. The alternate recipes for coal and the portable miner are classed as "situationally useful" but I don't think they even reach that level. If you're in the late game going all-out with drones you're still never going to be making enough of them to warrant setting up a production line for automated miners and the coal alts are just worthless when coal already has its own resource nodes. There are more hard drives than alt recipes so you'll get them all eventually anyway but you should save the bad ones for when you're not given any better choices.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
What do people do with Mercer Spheres and Somersloops? Like, I know they are not implemented yet and do nothing currently, but do people a) ignore them, or b) pick them up and put them in a chest? I'm scared to leave them alone because someday they may be good for something after a patch and I'm not going to remember where they were, but I'm also scared to pick them up and put them in a chest in case that breaks some future-added thing that's supposed to happen on pickup.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pretty sure the "thing that's supposed to happen on pickup" is the voiceovers you get. I just toss 'em in the hab chest.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I shove them in a box so they stop talking to me.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Great. I'll start doing that, then. Thanks folks!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What WhiteHowler said about alt recipes is often true, but it's worth looking up the analysis to see which ones are actually good so you don't waste your hard drives:

https://satisfactory.fandom.com/wiki/Hard_Drive/Alternate_recipe_analysis

Even then the site is a bit too generous with some of them. The alternate recipes for coal and the portable miner are classed as "situationally useful" but I don't think they even reach that level.
I mostly agree with their analysis, but they weigh things very heavily toward resource efficiency, where sometimes the output speed and/or input simplicity is worth the trade-off.

A good example is Bolted Frames and Bolted Plates. Not resource-efficient, but alongside the Steel Screws recipe (which is maybe my favorite alt recipe in the game), you can spin up a high-output Modular Frame factory incredibly easily. Do I get quite as many frames per resource node? No, but I can build a much smaller factory more quickly, which saves time I can use to build something else productive.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
That alternate recipe analysis reads like it was before the patches that made oil much more common (mk2 pipes, the pressurizer). It isn't from that point in the game as there are entries for recipes added much later in the games development, but the mindset seems to have stuck with whoever maintains that. I'd just advise that when it calls oil a "rarer resource", it really isn't anymore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The most important thing to know about hard drives and alt recipes is the random draw mechanics: it shows you anything you have unlocked the inputs to use and the building to use it in. Don't worry too much about which ones are rated 'best'.

This means that you want to use HDs throughout the game, not save them all for later. Trying to save them just means you have all the early-game recipes in the slot machine later, plus you haven't been using them all along.

Smiling Demon posted:

That alternate recipe analysis reads like it was before the patches that made oil much more common (mk2 pipes, the pressurizer). It isn't from that point in the game as there are entries for recipes added much later in the games development, but the mindset seems to have stuck with whoever maintains that. I'd just advise that when it calls oil a "rarer resource", it really isn't anymore.

Fracking didn't add that much oil to the resource mix, though mk2 pipes definitely did.

However, the thing about oil is that it isn't rare, but only if you have the alt recipes. The oil alts have vastly more productive multiplier than any other resource, it's not even close. Try to do endgame production without them and you'll find that oil is pretty dang constrained after all!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

chainchompz posted:

I think i've only built one of these things once, but its good for ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq9Y70tVqn5i6p-WmLpqXizTlYs9acMaw

His discussion on water mechanics is good though, in the coal generators video.

I've just recently gotten back into it also, never got further than T2 miners before.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We’ve been running a big multiplayer game on discord and it’s fun to get back into, but I have to rant about TRAINS because it’s been years now and they’re still in loving tier 6. I feel like two big things are broken about the basic design of the game, transport and the space elevator.

Trucks are virtually useless because they’re clunky and the fuel slot for their depot can’t be reliably used because you can’t automate fuel production early on. They can’t drive reliably without putting down roads that are at least two foundations wide and if you’re putting this kind of effort in just replace trucks with a slow and inefficient coal train tbh. Everything I build in the game I know I’m gonna pull down and centralise when I unlock trains. I want to be able to just design everything around train tracks from the get-go and it’s a consistent annoyance to me that I can’t.

As for the elevator, I feel like it should be used instead of the awesome sink. The player should be encouraged to put all his spare resources into making the advanced materials and just be paid in points/vouchers for sending it up the elevator. It makes perfect sense thematically and again, if you have trains early, it’s a simple process to streamline sending spare resources back to your elevator factory.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Trucks are virtually useless because they’re clunky and the fuel slot for their depot can’t be reliably used because you can’t automate fuel production early on. They can’t drive reliably without putting down roads that are at least two foundations wide

You can just send coal directly into the fuel slot, and since the last update trucks will rescue themselves with noclip if they get stuck on their routes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just build 5 mile long 4 stack transport belts like God intended

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It seems like a weird omission that electric cars aren't more available in this future. Sure, battery tech is later in the tech tree, but power cells are very early. Maybe they could move tractors/depots to stage 1-2, and if you stick a power cell in there, it recharges at depots for free? You can still throw coal/combustibles for bigger range and maybe a speed boost, but then vehicle freight would be available earlier and less fiddly to get automated.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems like a weird omission that electric cars aren't more available in this future. Sure, battery tech is later in the tech tree, but power cells are very early. Maybe they could move tractors/depots to stage 1-2, and if you stick a power cell in there, it recharges at depots for free? You can still throw coal/combustibles for bigger range and maybe a speed boost, but then vehicle freight would be available earlier and less fiddly to get automated.

I think that is an artifact of the game trying to implement a "real life" tech tree that largely mirrors the 19th and 20th centuries. You have to burn coal and then oil before you get to battery electric vehicles.

It's weird that you build a space elevator then start burning coal in the middle of an alien ecosystem, but the power plants probably make more gameplay sense than plopping down thousands of solar panels or wind turbines (or just getting free energy beamed down from space)

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If you want tiny electric cars that don't need fuel, do everything with factory carts!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best thing to use factory carts for is using all the curved ramps and make a skate park.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Demiurge4 posted:

As for the elevator, I feel like it should be used instead of the awesome sink. The player should be encouraged to put all his spare resources into making the advanced materials and just be paid in points/vouchers for sending it up the elevator. It makes perfect sense thematically and again, if you have trains early, it’s a simple process to streamline sending spare resources back to your elevator factory.

You still need the awesome sink to get rid of unwanted solid byproducts like petcoke in early rubber/plastic factories or polymer resin in fuel refineries, having to keep transporting it back to wherever you built your space elevator would be a hassle. Getting tickets is an important part of progressing through the tech tree but mostly it's just used as a big trash can.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Trucks are perfectly viable to drive on the natural paths around. But dump coal into it all and you are good., But making the paths is God drat annoying

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If trucks didn't need fuel supplied, they'd pretty much be strictly better than trains, since they don't need all the route building, just a couple of ramps/bridges to get over steeper obstacles.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I never had any problems with the truckstops, although I typically only use them to deliver ingots from distant mining areas, coal and the plastic and rubber components to my main construction area. Ironically all of my truckstops (except the one that delivers coal) is powered by cans of fuel which is delivered by train.

Incidentally, you don't need to supply fuel on both sides, just so long as the journey is not so vast that they can't make the return trip you'll only need to supply the one side. And if it is that far, you should just use trains

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SettingSun posted:

The best thing to use factory carts for is using all the curved ramps and make a skate park.

Silly Mario-Kart-style race tracks are also acceptable.
Doing a full barrel roll in a factory cart is still one of my crowning achievements in this game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Biggest doggos today

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demiurge4 posted:

We’ve been running a big multiplayer game on discord and it’s fun to get back into, but I have to rant about TRAINS because it’s been years now and they’re still in loving tier 6.

If you're building factories in tier 1-4 that need trains, you're way the heck into overbuilding / overthinking territory. The first 4 tiers need exactly 4 resources, all of which are super common. In 2 of the start locations you probably need to transport coal or steel product, but coal is fuel for tractors.

Demiurge4 posted:

Trucks are virtually useless because they’re clunky ... They can’t drive reliably without putting down roads that are at least two foundations wide

The reliability is now totally solved, but needing roads was incorrect even before the U5 patch. I have never built full roads for tractors & trucks and I've used them plenty. The only time you need foundation is for bridges, ramps, causeways, etc for impassible terrain. Any terrain that you can navigate, the AI can navigate as well.

The reason people think the AI is unreliable is that you need to drive like 10% slower and a lot more cautiously when recording the routes. The AI drives faster, and it's not following the exact same driving line. (IMO the fact that the AI has higher top speed is bad.)

Trucks are clunky though, that's true. If I was in change I'd have told them to work on the process of actually recording paths, rather than UI for doing stuff to existing paths. The persistent crappy thing about setting up a truck route is that if you gently caress up partway through it's very difficult to fix the problem. Most of the time it means erase the path & start over.

Demiurge4 posted:

Everything I build in the game I know I’m gonna pull down and centralise when I unlock trains.

Over the course of the game you will need to rebuild things, no way around it. Early trains wouldn't change that at all. The material demands change over time, item flows are different, adding alt recipes changes production lines. Fighting against that will make everything more difficult in the long run -- you are adding technical debt to future projects.

I dunno if you've ever set up a big train network before, but it's actually a lot of work! Particularly now that you need signals and poo poo. A low tech train would be a trap in many ways. You're investing effort into a network that solves tier 1-4 problems, and will probably not be a good network for tier 7-8 and the final shipment.

Tenebrais posted:

If trucks didn't need fuel supplied, they'd pretty much be strictly better than trains, since they don't need all the route building, just a couple of ramps/bridges to get over steeper obstacles.

Nah, trains have network effect, they get better the more track you build. Adding a new station gives you connections to everything, while adding a truck route gives you connections to one thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I haven’t been watching Satisfactory dev youtubes lately are there any new update infos coming?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Transport Tycoon Deluxe... Bring it back!!!

I need to break out OpenTTD again; get my server going.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

The persistent crappy thing about setting up a truck route is that if you gently caress up partway through it's very difficult to fix the problem. Most of the time it means erase the path & start over.

Once you get back on track you can then get out of the truck and manually delete however many pause nodes or path nodes you need to effectively erase the mistake in the recording. Unless you accidentally drive off a cliff it's usually not too big of an issue.

priznat posted:

I haven’t been watching Satisfactory dev youtubes lately are there any new update infos coming?

They've chimed in a few times to announce that they have nothing new to announce. Only real information is that they might change the structure of future updates to smaller ones instead of major ones like we've seen until now.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 1, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Transport Tycoon Deluxe... Bring it back!!!

I need to break out OpenTTD again; get my server going.

i really wish transport fever would do multiplayer / Open TTD style.. OTTD is just.. so fuckin old at this point, we're approaching 30 years old.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

No, they've been pretty much radio silent even on their twitch streams. It sounds like they're looking at wrapping up and heading for a release version, so there probably won't be a Update 6 major content addition between now and 1.0

Which I think is fine -- the industry & building parts of the game feels pretty feature complete at this point. Save some neat things to build like a teleporter or whatever for the "plot" unlocks.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Once you get back on track you can then get out of the truck and manually delete however many pause nodes or path nodes you need to effectively erase the mistake in the recording. Unless you accidentally drive off a cliff it's usually not too big of an issue.

That works for an error if you catch it immediately and stop while recording. But if you only noticed after the fact deleting a whole lot of nodes is often more time-consuming than re-recording a path. You can't erase nodes in the middle and redo just that bit.

And I dunno what really was responsible, but some of the occasions where I have had weirdness with trucks was from messing with nodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They've chimed in a few times to announce that they have nothing new to announce. Only real information is that they might change the structure of future updates to smaller ones instead of major ones like we've seen until now.
That tracks with the rumoured layoffs they did to downsize the team again after growing the team during the first year. The game has sold about as many units as it’s gonna, so putting out a bunch of big updates doesn’t make economic sense. I think we’ll see the roadmap pared down after a while and a quiet 1.0 slapped on possibly early next year.