Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Right, today is the "last day to watch" for it, or so it says on the episode list

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
We're just finishing Season 3 now and this is around where my wife stopped watching it whereas I have seen it all the way to the end, and I'm excited to see her reaction as it officially leaves the rails

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I have Paramount + because I'm a baby who will watch almost any spaceship show. It's basically an entire network of that now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the show begins with a dumb 'heh, coming out of the COFFIN, am I right?' joke premise, and then within a season it grows to 'there's vampire conversion camps run by megachurch freaks who are secretly vampire fuckers' to 'THERE IS A WAR' and then loving fairies get involved. Absolute dogbrain poo poo from the start with the writers doubling down trying to make what should have been a throwaway joke work a serious theme and I just adore it.

I think my favorite scene was in season one where Bill earns the town's trust by going to a Daughters Of The Confederacy meeting and telling them how noble and brave and cool their slave owning ancestors were. For a minute you think it's a really good joke where he's just playing to their wants but no he just really admired them and at one point casually reveals he indeed had a slave to the one black female main cast member.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

double negative posted:

here’s severance’s for the curious

https://youtu.be/NmS3m0OG-Ug

those credits suck. what is the show about

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

check out this epic opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

the show begins with a dumb 'heh, coming out of the COFFIN, am I right?' joke premise, and then within a season it grows to 'there's vampire conversion camps run by megachurch freaks who are secretly vampire fuckers' to 'THERE IS A WAR' and then loving fairies get involved. Absolute dogbrain poo poo from the start with the writers doubling down trying to make what should have been a throwaway joke work a serious theme and I just adore it.

I think my favorite scene was in season one where Bill earns the town's trust by going to a Daughters Of The Confederacy meeting and telling them how noble and brave and cool their slave owning ancestors were. For a minute you think it's a really good joke where he's just playing to their wants but no he just really admired them and at one point casually reveals he indeed had a slave to the one black female main cast member.

Bill literally fucks his great-great-great granddaughter at one point. This fact is promptly forgotten in like an episode or two. One of the best TV shows of all time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

it's a very good sci-fi show about a hosed up corporation. it's worth the $5 for a month of apple + to watch it all. maybe they can use that $5 to make a UI for their website that isn't dogshit too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nichael posted:

Bill literally fucks his great-great-great granddaughter at one point. This fact is promptly forgotten in like an episode or two. One of the best TV shows of all time.

Also while this was the only thing the normies picked up on as funny so it got driven into the ground I will genuinely never get tired of hearing Stephen Moyer's terrible accent shouting "SOOKEH". I'm loving cajun and I'll wander around my house sometimes hamming up my accent to do it so I have no idea how an english guy was able to do it so often with a straight face. Bill is the greatest character in TV history.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Also while this was the only thing the normies picked up on as funny so it got driven into the ground I will genuinely never get tired of hearing Stephen Moyer's terrible accent shouting "SOOKEH". I'm loving cajun and I'll wander around my house sometimes hamming up my accent to do it so I have no idea how an english guy was able to do it so often with a straight face. Bill is the greatest character in TV history.

Excuse me but Eric and Pam exist.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nichael posted:

it's a very good sci-fi show about a hosed up corporation. it's worth the $5 for a month of apple + to watch it all. maybe they can use that $5 to make a UI for their website that isn't dogshit too.

I will just steal it instead

I’m not really a fan of the credits or show but at least it’s sincerely silly

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Oh and speaking of vampires, I've been rewatching True Blood with my wife - it's very dumb! But a lot of fun!

Sssssssssssssssssssssookehhhhhhhh

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another ds9 thought before i forget i like how jake and nog are written as annoying kids who like to do annoying kid stuff like ogle girls and then slowly grow up into having distinct adult interests that dont obviously correlate to their previous characterization

really strong argument for wesley just being a consistently terribly written character than children being inherently at odds with the star trek setting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

quote:

Mark leads a team of office workers whose memories have been surgically divided between their work and personal lives

hmm that sounds like a decent premise for sci fi

e: oh poo poo it has John Tutoots? I’m in

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whoa i only just noticed that the grand nagus is played by wallace shawn

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/jrvsscarlet/status/1509371311222452226

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

The oscar awards have a split personality. On one side you have this celebration of movies, fans, and movie culture. So Transformers has to show up to the party.
But the other personality is trying to be this respectable, "we want to put forth the serious movies that expose the human condition and the triumph of the human soul," face.

To harden movies fans the oscars are what the Olypmics are to golf players. TV convinces everybody thinks they should respect it's awards, but people who actually know their stuff don't care, and rather come in 3 place at their own personal culture's golf competition.

Some times the general public and the high art stuff clicks and you get parasite.
But most people don't watch movie, they talk about about movies.

https://www.scaruffi.com/cinema/chro010.html

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
almost 20 years later and I’ve still never forgiven Hollywood for Crash and I never will

burn it all down

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Apr 1, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my cousin's wife is hard of hearing and she seemed really amped that Coda won. that's my only Coda information

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

almost 20 years later and I’ve still never forgiven Hollywood for Crash and I never will

burn it all down
No it was insanely funny when people rented David Cronenberg's Crash after hearing about it

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Good, cuz Cronenberg is the greatest Canadian director of all time (not including Bruce McCullough)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cronenberg is great
the world needs more weird failures like eXistenZ over safe poo poo like every superhero or horror movie made these days

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

yeah cronenberg loving kicks rear end

i watched all of los espookys season 1 in one sitting, and enjoyed it despite it having fred armisen all in it. i also finished ramy which was really good as well

sounds like i should start severance and joe pera talks with you

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Knight posted:

No it was insanely funny when people rented David Cronenberg's Crash after hearing about it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Atlanta Season 3 is good so far.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/StudentsforLife/status/1509950580709416973

bringing back the popular 80s pastime of scrutinizing any piece of childrens' media i see and declaring them to be allegories for demon worship/pedophilia/human sacrifice based on whichever brainworm is taking the wheel today

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

have we all forgotten how bambi is thinly-veiled anti-hunting propaganda pushed by big city liberals?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my cousin's wife is hard of hearing and she seemed really amped that Coda won. that's my only Coda information

It's impossible to know if it's good or not because it's on Apple TV plus

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Some Guy TT posted:

also watching season one ds9 on cable and i dont get why people think the early seasons of this show are bad they make really good use of the premise to have the crew act reactively rather than proactively resulting in completely different stories than the tng style that still have a similar tone

the only really bad episode in the first season is the q episode and thats mainly because he doesnt work with the premise also qs a garbage character in general he only ever really works in the picard flashback stabbing episode and thats just because he serves as a plausible set up for the framing device

After I convinced my husband to try Star Trek we went into TNG with me telling him “First couple seasons are pretty inconsistent in quality but I think it’s worth watching them anyway” then when we moved to DS9 I said the same thing with the first season but I’d actually just misremembered and the season is great, it’s just a little awkward as everyone finds their characters and the later seasons are so strong it’s easy to see the early seasons as less than. I mean, Kira’s hair starts out so bad as does Odo’s face but it’s otherwise primo stuff.

Also Season 4 episode 1&2 The Way of the Warrior is I think the perfect ST season opener, serving as both a relaunch of the show and an introduction of the setting and characters for TNG fans who were just tuning in without sacrificing the pacing or story they’re telling.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

move along home

What I like about that episode is everyone is convinced they’re in mortal danger and at the end the alien guy is just like “we said this whole time it was just a game, you guys are being weirdos”. Also feels like a rejected TNG script which is why I don’t think it works here, you can totally see the TNG crew bumbling through that episode.

Some Guy TT posted:

another ds9 thought before i forget i like how jake and nog are written as annoying kids who like to do annoying kid stuff like ogle girls and then slowly grow up into having distinct adult interests that dont obviously correlate to their previous characterization

really strong argument for wesley just being a consistently terribly written character than children being inherently at odds with the star trek setting

I love how they handle their relationship and the show’s determination to write them as people instead of a straight man/wise guy duo.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Apraxin posted:

bringing back the popular 80s pastime of scrutinizing any piece of childrens' media i see and declaring them to be allegories for demon worship/pedophilia/human sacrifice based on whichever brainworm is taking the wheel today

Satanic Panic 2: Culture War Boogaloo

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/Liv_Agar/status/1509947158488829960

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apraxin posted:

quote:

"Turning Red," rated PG, is the story of a thirteen-year-old girl named Mei who inherits her family’s curse to become a red panda whenever she feels passionate emotions, including sexual tension, which feels wildly inappropriate in a movie targeting young children like mine. The adults at Disney create a storyline for the young main character and her fictional friends around their attraction of an older boy dangerously close to being a legal adult at seventeen.

It’s even more appalling when Mei begins to draw this boy in what a "Turning Red" YouTube account calls "dirty drawings." Her drawings include half-naked sketches of him, and, at one point, she crawls under her bed to get all hot and sweaty with her sketchbook of semi-nude scribbles. It would be hard to explain this scene as anything other than masturbation.

Mei and her friends are in a tug of war with their parents that the writers sexualize as they have the characters catcalling boys at school, endorsing "stripper music," and making plans to rebel against their parents who have legitimate concerns for their safety. But it gets worse.

Holy poo poo this person is a loving pedophile

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"A teen has a crush on another teen? I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO ASSUME SHE'S JUST FURIOUSLY MASTURBATING AT THE THOUGHT OF HIM ALL THE TIME" ~ someone very concerned about pedophilia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whats stripper music

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Disney is never gonna get smacked the way yall want it to if you dont want the minivan moms.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

whats stripper music

they want to go to a boy band's concert, one girl says 'my mom says they're stripper music'

This person should not be allowed near children, I'm not joking they have more pedo red flags than a Something Awful mod account

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

whats stripper music

Mötley Crüe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

After I convinced my husband to try Star Trek we went into TNG with me telling him “First couple seasons are pretty inconsistent in quality but I think it’s worth watching them anyway” then when we moved to DS9 I said the same thing with the first season but I’d actually just misremembered and the season is great, it’s just a little awkward as everyone finds their characters and the later seasons are so strong it’s easy to see the early seasons as less than. I mean, Kira’s hair starts out so bad as does Odo’s face but it’s otherwise primo stuff.

i think the phrase growing the beard does this because people just naturally assume that it applies to ds9 too like just in terms of basic character establishment but theres no question ds9 gets a lot more done in a lot less time than tng did tng literally has to kill off multiple characters in the first season because their designs were incredibly boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

i think the phrase growing the beard does this because people just naturally assume that it applies to ds9 too like just in terms of basic character establishment but theres no question ds9 gets a lot more done in a lot less time than tng did tng literally has to kill off multiple characters in the first season because their designs were incredibly boring

the constantly rotating chief engineer position in tng s1 was also kinda strange even when it was airing originally, and it got to the point if i recall where they just had riker say they had more than one until geordi got the job