Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is the premise still "This Is How You Died"? I think they had a plan that was similar to Rimworld's originally in which the difficulty curve eventually made failure inevitable so games wouldn't really reach the late stage often. In RimWorld, it was a clock to beat in order to win. In Zomboid, I'm not sure there ever was an end goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
When I first played I kept chasing the helicopter sound around hoping it would land. Someday it will :smith:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i don't think they've really deviated from that premise, they've never mentioned having an End Goal beyond "survive". a lot of what they plan on adding seems to be based around giving you lots of different and interesting stuff to do once you get past the early game struggle for survival and start getting into base building proper

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've watched a lot of zomboid on YouTube and I've never seen any sort of escalation beyond about the first week, is there something that's supposed to make it harder?

I imagine gas is finite so you'll eventually not have power but other than that?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This makes me a little wary, after Cataclysm:DDA went off the deep end in "realism", with previously fun systems becoming a tedious slog. No-one gives a poo poo about 20 different micronutrients! Especially when they all just need a multi vitamin pill to fix.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They aren't really going deep into that though, they're just adding more "things to do".

Which is good, because playing Zomboid with people right now just results in 50 people adding mod after mod. I stopped playing the third time alarms got reset and spawned into an alarming house with runners on again

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Azhais posted:

I've watched a lot of zomboid on YouTube and I've never seen any sort of escalation beyond about the first week, is there something that's supposed to make it harder?

I imagine gas is finite so you'll eventually not have power but other than that?

- food becomes harder to collect as the weather gets colder, and you eventually will use up the easy clean water (although there are a lot of sinks, toilets, bathtubs etc in any town)
- the helicopter event is designed to mess you up if you try to just dig in at an urban area and ride it out but it doesn't create zombies out of nothing, it just attracts stuff that is already spawned
... and that's about it yeah!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

- food becomes harder to collect as the weather gets colder, and you eventually will use up the easy clean water (although there are a lot of sinks, toilets, bathtubs etc in any town)
- the helicopter event is designed to mess you up if you try to just dig in at an urban area and ride it out but it doesn't create zombies out of nothing, it just attracts stuff that is already spawned
... and that's about it yeah!

By default the amount of zombies increases every day up to the end of the first month.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
My problem has always been regardless of world settings the area around my base always ends up quiet and zombie free after a while, esp if I clean up the groups that form. I always liked the wandering hordes in 7DTD that would spawn on one side of map and walk to the other intersecting your current position. Getting caught by surprise by things like that feels like something this game is really missing. Right now the horde always ends up being something I have to wade through when I need stuff, and once I get water and crops going I don't (at least up until the point I get bored and start over).

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

that's the game's current big problem, you have a very good and engrossing early game experience of figuring out how to survive the first few dozen or so hours, and then it's just goal-less sandbox stuff that you do whenever, no reason at all to do it on a long running world state. there just aren't any long term goals :shrug:

That's exactly why I took a break after playing it exclusively for like 350 hours. It's a great game, but I needs a touch more direction or structure late game.

I can't believe I never picked up space engineers before now. I'm having a blast, literally.

Would anyone suggest sticking with vanilla or modding to start with? I'm getting a little frustrated with trying to craft a mining ship that doesn't blow up the moment I bore something out. I think I need to move up to large grid and see if that helps as less things to go wrong, only bigger.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Would anyone suggest sticking with vanilla or modding to start with? I'm getting a little frustrated with trying to craft a mining ship that doesn't blow up the moment I bore something out. I think I need to move up to large grid and see if that helps as less things to go wrong, only bigger.

Go with modded, the game has allot of issues that modded fixes. Notably the AI and encounter mods will make the game world come alive and can give you real threats and challenges if you want. Or just more flavour. The 'Modular Encounters System' has become the standard framework for these mods and it's page is a good jumping off point to find them, there are allot of many flavours, from just the occasional derelict building added in to entire factions.

If you want more things to worry about and solve from a technical standpoint, 'Eat. Drink. Sleep. Repeat' + 'Plant And Cook' are my preferred needs mod combo. 'Industrial Overhaul' complexifies stuff and makes actual production chains a thing.

I also strongly recommend a mod to modify damage values and drastically increase player health if combat is still way too quick and swingy; I haven't played since before the recent combat refactor they did, but old vanilla always had the problem of your ship that you spent hours building can evaporate before you even realize your being shot at. And outside of ships an interior turret can kill you before you even realize it's there as well.
Always blueprint your poo poo before you go anywhere with it is just sound advice modded or vanilla that I never remember to do.

Tons of block mods out there, I'm a big fan of the 'Grated Catwalks Expansion' and 'AQD - Reinforced Windows', they find there way into almost every build I ever do.

And hell of look for scripts for the scripting block too, there's some really useful and cool stuff, well over half my workshop subscriptions are just scripts. And that's technically vanilla.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Half the fun of Space Engineers is modding imo so I agree with the post above. I loved just trawling the mod pages for decorative stuff I could cram in my ships and bases to make them feel more alive.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Definitely get Modular Encounter Systems and every MES mod that doesn't seek you out and attack you, at least at first. You can always add them later. If you get Industrial Overhaul get something that lets you automatically keep quotas of stuff in stock. Also note that you're very likely to encounter "~0 Steel Plates" if you don't leave all the multipliers on x1 because SE was definitely not made for intermediate components (I just live with it, it's not that big of a deal, just weird to see).

Water Mod is another big popular one but I didn't really get anything out of it personally.

There's also Weapon Core / Core Systems (same thing, two names) that replaces the combat framework internals. Opinions on this are generally very love/hate. I'm in the former camp. Mostly pay attention if you go looking at weapon mods that you don't mix WC mods with non-WC mods; that won't work.

Otherwise yeah half the fun of SE is just jamming weird stuff into it for the hell of it. If your save takes less than a minute to load you're doing it wrong.

Note that if you add modded planets you have to actually place them yourself. Somehow the game still doesn't have a solar system generator.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Amazing. Exactly my kind of game by the sounds of it. I've got like 2000 hours in rimworld and hardly any of it is vanilla. I just sone games are worth experiencing vanilla first and just wanted to check before going for my defaul

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
Get build vision and build info. If tools and weather are too loud, sneaky sounds. Those are my "always use" mods. For scripts i use: autolcd is neat if you want text displays showing actually useful information. Isy's solar rotation for sun tracking solar power arrays. And ufol's full inventory trigger is what i use on my stationary mining drills so they don't waste material and other things.

How is your miner blowing up? Is this in space or on a planet?

e; using a mod like Scarce Resources to move the ores so that there is more of a reason to go to other planets gave me a goal to work towards. I used AQD vanilla ore distribution specifically.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 1, 2022

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

REDjackeT posted:

Get build vision and build info. If tools and weather are too loud, sneaky sounds. Those are my "always use" mods. For scripts i use: autolcd is neat if you want text displays showing actually useful information. Isy's solar rotation for sun tracking solar power arrays. And ufol's full inventory trigger is what i use on my stationary mining drills so they don't waste material and other things.

How is your miner blowing up? Is this in space or on a planet?

e; using a mod like Scarce Resources to move the ores so that there is more of a reason to go to other planets gave me a goal to work towards. I used AQD vanilla ore distribution specifically.

Just my bad designs. Not enough trust under load on certain axis. This is far more technical than anything I've ever played before, but I've sussed it. Just had my first successful run without incident. Very happy now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Planet Crafter (what a dumb name you are already on a planet) definitely has some bones for a good game but I think that they talk about it being "subnautica in space" is stretching it a bit. Yeah, it has the same crafting and building system, but the difference is that you don't really hang out near your base in subnautica. It was about diving into what felt like a living ocean and pissing your suit whenever the AI brought up "megafauna". PC feels more like most space games feel like, moving through largely empty space and ducking back in for more oxygen when the meter runs out. Both of the systems may have a common feature of limiting your exploration by limiting your movement by limiting your oxygen, but the feel and theme of the movement is night and day

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Just my bad designs. Not enough trust under load on certain axis. This is far more technical than anything I've ever played before, but I've sussed it. Just had my first successful run without incident. Very happy now.

Yeah, getting enough lifting thrust on planets when you have full cargo is certainly a thing you learn quickly. SE has a decent amount of fiddly stuff without going too crazy. And there are mods if you want to. I still want to try out the aerodynamics mod.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I just picked up Space Engineers also, and it looks like exactly my kind of thing. I avoided it up until this point because I thought it was just a sandbox and I didn't realize there was a survival element.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't know if I've said it before in this thread but I'd love for the zomboid guys to take their whole moodle etc. thing and slap it on another setting. I'm here for the breaking my legs and panicking in the dark unable to see anything until I die of dehydration, the whole zombie thing just facilitates that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

This always cracks me up about survival games. No, you can't eat freshly-fallen snow, that will make you sick! Here, drink out of this toilet in a decaying house, it's fine!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you know it's not the bowl part you drink out of, right

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's not the bowl part you drink out of. :colbert:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Splicer posted:

I don't know if I've said it before in this thread but I'd love for the zomboid guys to take their whole moodle etc. thing and slap it on another setting. I'm here for the breaking my legs and panicking in the dark unable to see anything until I die of dehydration, the whole zombie thing just facilitates that.

Moodlets are a great idea and are an excellent mechanic to sidestep (or at least delay) the "solved problem" problem of survival games.

Plus the encourage suboptimal play, which is great.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the bowl is where the flavor is! :discourse:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Even if you're dipping from the tank, these settings generally don't have power so we can probably safely guess that the water treatment isn't working either and based on the condition of these places it hasn't been flushed in months/years so it's gonna be stagnant and nasty.

I mean, it's not ruining my immersion or anything, it just always struck me as silly.

Flesh Forge posted:

They're always green and yellow, it tastes like lemon/lime!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Flesh Forge posted:

i didn't realize my dog had an account here

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just started Icarus because Steam was harassing me based off my purchase of The Planet Crafter.

Planet Crafter: A fun little game that really needs more content, but it's being made by two dudes and just went live last week. So I'll cut them some slack. We'll see how much it's updated and how quickly.

Icarus: I had forgotten that Rocket had gone out and made his own studio/game before I bought this. I played for about an hour before I went 'gently caress me, this is some DayZ level bullshit' and welp, that's right! That said, it's pretty good? I mean it's an open world survival craft made by Rocket with a budget - it does what it says on the tin. I'm level 10 and done a few of the missions so far and it's kinda growing on me. Not sure I'm a fan of the (meta) tech tree but I'm just now starting to get paid the currency so I don't know how grindy/wasteful it is right now. I'm doing it solo because I can't convince any of my friends to try it with me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Icarus was pretty rough around the edges when I played it much closer to launch, but they seem to have made a lot of progress on it.

In the most recent patch they finally relented and made missions only tick down time if someone is actively in them instead of following realtime, for example. They've tweaked little things like farming, temperature, etc since I've played too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

is it still all space colorado with space wolves and space bears?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Planet Crafter is exactly my jam and I love it. I would barely call it out of alpha but I love what I see and am very interested to see where they go with it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

Planet Crafter is exactly my jam and I love it. I would barely call it out of alpha but I love what I see and am very interested to see where they go with it.
The just kind of lying around on the ground minerals setup really rubs me the wrong way but everything else I really like. I just got mines up and running so very happy now.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

is it still all space colorado with space wolves and space bears?

Some non earth stuff in the game, don't want to give any spoilers. They are working on a lot of content and have a lot of stuff in the pipeline but it's not the finished product it should have been on launch

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, I figure I'll look back and planet crafter in a year or so to see what they add. I feel like it desperately needs vehicles or something, and the lack of logistics makes me less happy with it.

I compared it a lot to Astroneer when I was playing it, and Astroneer's gameplay loop and feeling of growing infrastructure is something that I enjoyed a lot more.

I feel like Planet Crafter can definitely get to that point after some time, but it really does need more work before I'll get too into it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Planet crafter demo is conceptually cool, but yeah feels a lot like an alpha and also has some horrific memory leak that does not pair well with the lack of autosaves

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Digging Planet Crafter but I do agree that it's still way early days. People keep throwing around 'Subnautica' but I am getting heavy Forager vibes from it just because of the idle-ness of the whole thing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Icarus rambling since it came up a couple of days ago:

Haven't played in a few weeks but have been reading the weekly updates -- good stuff!

It's pretty rough when you first start playing (I described it as "deliberately wasting my time") but as you unlock stuff and acclimate it starts to click. The mission time limit (which is tracked more reasonably now) makes the "gather resources -> build shelter/gear -> repeat but at the next tier up" process have a logical end: when you feel comfortable enough to set out to finish and then (possibly with some trial and error) complete the mission and get out.

It's got the outpost mode for building up "permanent" stuff; the resources are still limited but they reset when you launch out. Plus you can still earn XP in it lmao

The external currency system is at least interesting. Successfully completing prospects earns you the basic cash to "research" and "craft" things you bring with you when you land, but if you don't bring those tools/weapons back with you when you launch out you'll have to pay the crafting cost to have them on the next prospect.

The top-end arrows are 500 to research but only cost 10 to craft a pack of 25, great buy since they only have a 5% break chance. Get that and the "Jijing" bow ASAP (or at least after the basic 3D-printed knife/axe/pickaxe). I also highly recommend the water and O2 bottles, they're way better than you can make in-game at least until you're past steel production.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Icarus is really growing on me. I don't know what it was like at launch (other than bad) but it seems like there has been a considerable amount of development, plus Rocket appears to be finally relenting to player pressure for some things (like the timers / gold and copper spawns / etc.) so that's good. The weekly updates are good as well, I'm personally more of a fan of drip content rather than waiting six months for a huge update.

It's a very slow paced walking simulator that is still kinda clunky, but I think it has the potential to be pretty much the peak of the genre.

I'm still way too slow and tech up too far, but I've also been running on hard mode so it's kind of justified. I'm done with the starter forest biome missions and have started to venture into the arctic. Polar bears are loving terrifying - if I don't land a stealth headshot on one with a recurve bow + flint arrows (or better) then I'm stuck with a fast moving freight train with teeth and claws. I made an expedition in there ill-prepared and ended up making a mad dash back to the forest jamming raw meat into my gullet as the frostbite nearly killed me. Next mission I'm going with an actual source of heat and a full set of polar bear armor. And probably a gun.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You claimed to be level 10 two days ago when you posted about it so yeah, it definitely seems like it's grown on you lmao

I've never personally bothered with getting to the "making a gun" tier because the worst things I've gone up against are polar bears and elephants and a longbow + bone arrows to soften them up plus an iron knife at a high stabbing rate is nearly always enough to deal with them.

4+ wolves before making decent armor can be a death sentence, though. And one of the arctic missions just piles them on; I killed at least 36 wolves between starting the scanner at the first point 'til I got back to the temperate zone having completed the scanning mission, and most of those wolves were hunting me down at the time.

The most unfortunate thing is that successfully returning to your compatriots' base camp with a whole bunch of fur and leather and meat and bone doesn't really matter since you've finished the mission and it's time to run back to your individual launch pods.

stringless fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

explosivo posted:

Digging Planet Crafter but I do agree that it's still way early days. People keep throwing around 'Subnautica' but I am getting heavy Forager vibes from it just because of the idle-ness of the whole thing.
It's got heavy subnautica aesthetic but yeah subnautica is much more story/exploration based.

I've been playing a lot of Planet Crafter, I have needed something very low stakes, no risk of screwing up and quite frankly it's been ideal. I'd definitely say the start is the weakest, the initial gathering mechanic is overly simplistic and your build limit is less "I can't do this yet" and more "I can't be bothered picking up all the resources for this". Once you pass that stage though it's a real chill time just engreenifying everything.