Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
That's cold blooded. Even for Marge. smh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hit and Run seemed pretty cool but I was too irritated about it not being cell shaded to ever actually play it. Why isn’t it cell shaded?!??!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It actually was cel shared, but they had to remove the filter when they realized the ps1-era animations would be more lifelike and entertaining than the upcoming nusimpson animation style

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

It was a weird dichotomy where the first season was actually sort of about someone like Johnny existing in the world, and then it got a new showrunner and animation style and he was pretty much just a buffoon that went on wacky cartoon adventures who also says "hey baby" and gets punched a lot. I liked the later stuff a lot more as a kid, so it was probably the right choice for Cartoon Network's demo, but as an adult the early stuff was a lot more interesting

i hated the second season of JB. i don't know if flanderization is an accurate way to describe him during that season, because it's not that his qualities were exaggerated to a crazy degree but that he's almost a completely different character. in the first season, johnny really didn't speak much. he only spoke and had anything resembling an actual conversation when he was trying to hit on women. otherwise he would just remain quiet and stare in a puzzling manner at some weird poo poo going on and not to much other than raise an eyebrow (which was funny!). personality wise, johnny was never a genius, and he might have obviously not been good at reading social cues, but he was necessarily STUPID. he at least had SOME degree of common sense.

but in the later seasons, johnny just cannot STFU. he's completely manic. he's constantly babbling about some asinine poo poo, and more often than not, babbles in some kind of pseudointellectual way that the original JB would never dream of doing. they dumb down his intelligence to that of a drooling pinhead, to the point that he seems like some cheap knockoff of homer.

and don't even get me started on duck susie :barf:

anyway, seth didn't just work on johnny bravo but also apparently cow and chicken, dexter's lab and a whole shitload of cartoon cartoons as well. he clearly has talent, which is why is it was so disappointing to see what FG turned into when it came back in 2005

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The first season had a different showrunner who came back for the last one where Johnny started to resemble his original self more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's the latest lowest point of The Simpsons?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What's the ... point of The Simpsons?

:shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Interweb posted:

i hated the second season of JB. i don't know if flanderization is an accurate way to describe him during that season, because it's not that his qualities were exaggerated to a crazy degree but that he's almost a completely different character. in the first season, johnny really didn't speak much. he only spoke and had anything resembling an actual conversation when he was trying to hit on women. otherwise he would just remain quiet and stare in a puzzling manner at some weird poo poo going on and not to much other than raise an eyebrow (which was funny!). personality wise, johnny was never a genius, and he might have obviously not been good at reading social cues, but he was necessarily STUPID. he at least had SOME degree of common sense.

but in the later seasons, johnny just cannot STFU. he's completely manic. he's constantly babbling about some asinine poo poo, and more often than not, babbles in some kind of pseudointellectual way that the original JB would never dream of doing. they dumb down his intelligence to that of a drooling pinhead, to the point that he seems like some cheap knockoff of homer.

and don't even get me started on duck susie :barf:

anyway, seth didn't just work on johnny bravo but also apparently cow and chicken, dexter's lab and a whole shitload of cartoon cartoons as well. he clearly has talent, which is why is it was so disappointing to see what FG turned into when it came back in 2005

Also the first season with Van Partible was mostly or largely parodies and send-ups. Like nearly every episode was some long-form spoof of like Scooby-Doo or Schoolhouse Rock or Farrah Fawcett fandom. Partible was using his character as a way to put topspin on the entire animation/entertainment industry, he didn't really have a lot of interest in making a consistent sitcom world around Johnny and his supporting cast.

The second season and beyond was like the retooling of Dexter's Lab, much less idiosyncratic and inventive and more formulaic so it can serve better as background noise I guess.

e: drat I remember when those shows were all brand-new pilots and the hot up-and-coming new directors Partible and McCracken and Tartakovsky went on Space Ghost Coast to Coast to promote their shows

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 1, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
God, if there isn't a show that runs in my headspace more than SG:CtC.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
iirc Tartakovsky was on a theoretical short list to direct more Star Wars stuff, but Lucas was absolutely livid that Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was so popular. that's also why Lucas had someone else do a new Clone Wars, erasing the old one from (then-current) canon.

no idea if there was some other conflict, but much as I'd rather have seen a del Toro Hobbit, I'd rather have seen a Tartakovsky... anything, just about.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

God, if there isn't a show that runs in my headspace more than SG:CtC.

natural gas: it'll give you some ideas.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Empty Sandwich posted:

natural gas: it'll give you some ideas.

Is that where I got all these ideas?
'Cause they're brilliant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally watched Terms of Endearment a few months ago and was startled to find myself in the middle of that "For the last two years you've been pretending like you hate me. I love you very much" speech that SG gave Zorak and Moltar :aaaaa:

Also constantly on the watch for an excuse to serve or mention watercress sandwiches so I can say some variant of "Do you like them? I made them with extra water"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: was confused jumped to the end of the thread without reading. OOPS

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

iirc Tartakovsky was on a theoretical short list to direct more Star Wars stuff, but Lucas was absolutely livid that Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was so popular. that's also why Lucas had someone else do a new Clone Wars, erasing the old one from (then-current) canon.

no idea if there was some other conflict, but much as I'd rather have seen a del Toro Hobbit, I'd rather have seen a Tartakovsky... anything, just about.

Is that also why he turned Grievous from a badass jedi slayer to a complete chump in the movie? Man I was so excited to see Grievous in the movie after how cool he was in the cartoon, biggest let down in the whole movie for me.

Anyway here's the best scenelet from Clone Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNj8beDWVWU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Interweb posted:

Sounds pretty similar to the Flanderization of Ricky on Trailer Park Boys, which probably took about three seasons to solidify. At the beginning of the series probably only about 10% of his lines had malapropisms, and then eventually they were working them into almost every line. (Haven't watched any since Season 7 so I have no idea if he's even wackier now.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

How are they non canon? Tartakovsky CW literally ends right before episode 3 and Grievous is injuried from Mace doing a force crush to his chest leading to his handicapped death fight with Obi.

loving diva Lucus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one two weeks ago, Homer gets Bart what he says are the hottest new sneakers, but are in reality knockoffs he bought from his scumbag friend (Michael Rappoport) rather than wait in line at the shoe store for the release. Bart tries to return them when they fall apart and winds up on a viral video as the loser kid who tried to return knockoff shoes. There's kinda interesting direction as everyone in the store is filming his humiliation.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1505697602653896718

The owner of the shoe brand, a Jayden Smith type played by The Weeknd, shows up to apologize to Bart for the way he was treated and gives The Simpsons a bunch of free streetware.

Bart teaches the kid how to actually skateboard and they become friends and collaborators on a new shoe that looks like Bart. Homer loves the free streetware and spreads it to his middle aged friends.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1505745094611197956

Bart's shoe launch is jeopardized by all the middle-aged people wearing the brand, threatening to make it uncool until Marge talks Homer out of it. Homer's friend shows up selling knockoff Bort shoes.

This one was alright. No couch gag again. Couch gags dead forever I guess.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one two weeks ago, Homer gets Bart what he says are the hottest new sneakers, but are in reality knockoffs he bought from his scumbag friend (Michael Rappoport) rather than wait in line at the shoe store for the release. Bart tries to return them when they fall apart and winds up on a viral video as the loser kid who tried to return knockoff shoes. There's kinda interesting direction as everyone in the store is filming his humiliation.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1505697602653896718

This felt kind of like boomer "lol kids and their phones" humor, tbh.

I did like the joke about Moe having Hep C, A, and T though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

"Slipreme"

Very clever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, women being smart causes some trouble. Cleatus' wife Brandine reveals at Marge's book club that she's a lot smarter than everyone thinks. Cleatus finds out and feels like she's been lying to him. She tells him she had a lot of personal growth when she started reading after some books were dropped by a passing tornado. Their relationship falls apart and the kids decide to stay with him because Brandine would make them wash their hands.

Lisa's pisses off her teacher by being a smartass. The bullies attempt to beat her up, which is a new one for The Simpsons and kinda hosed up when you get down to it. She's recruited by a secret society of students who are hiding how smart they are to keep the bullies away from them. She decides to use their tactics, but Brandine talks her out of it because it would be hiding her light or whatever.

Marge asks Brandine why she's even with Cleatus, and Bradine turns it back on her. Marge finds out everyone thinks she could do better and brings it up to Homer, who freaks out because he's been going to great lengths to keep her in the dark about this. The reconcile in the end as do Brandine and Cleatus.

Pretty bad ep. I'm real sick of the yokels having episodes about how they contain unseen depths. I guess Brandine's flashback to meeting Cleatus had some OK jokes.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1508236100095168513

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you know how

when something is sweet

you can just

sopitup

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

This felt kind of like boomer "lol kids and their phones" humor, tbh.

I did like the joke about Moe having Hep C, A, and T though.

It seemed like a haunting trauma to happen to a kid rather than an attempt at a joke necessarily, but I'm certainly closer to Boomer than Bart these days so :shrug:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why did she turn her entire phone around instead of pressing the switch camera button? Why does it look so bad? Why is this show still going?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

They should stop creating situations where Bart gets angry to the point of tears, because wow that doesn’t sound good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

I guess Brandine's flashback to meeting Cleatus had some OK jokes.

I thought Brandine & Cletus were siblings.

Beartaco posted:

It seemed like a haunting trauma to happen to a kid rather than an attempt at a joke necessarily

That too!

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

The Awesomesaurus posted:

They should stop

Yes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought Brandine & Cletus were siblings.

I mean

:thejoke: probably

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
bart barely sounds like bart any more too, slowly all the voice actors are just losing it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Our local news people are all jumping up and down excitedly about "A simple Flanders" which hasn't aired here yet. They are saying its real good and a throwback to before the show was real bad.

Anyone seen it?

midnight_skies
Mar 27, 2022

"b'oh"

(_8^(|)

Extra row of tits posted:

Our local news people are all jumping up and down excitedly about "A simple Flanders" which hasn't aired here yet. They are saying its real good and a throwback to before the show was real bad.

Anyone seen it?

I haven't seen it yet either, but I've heard a lot of fans say it's really good. It's a genre parody of those crime dramas on Netflix (It even starts with a "couch gag" of a netflix front page). It's non-canon, but that means nothing when talking about new Simpsons so :shrug: .

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anyone seen it?

Eh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Anyone seen it?

Sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog fans.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anytime I hear that, which is usually every couple of seasons, I check out an episode and find that it is just less skin-peelingly embarrassing than anything actually good. It wouldn't be a bad place for NuSimpsons to be in but it wouldn't make me want to watch it regularly. Makes me wonder whether or not cutting the number of episodes per season in half would improve the show any.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hakkesshu posted:

Anytime I hear that, which is usually every couple of seasons, I check out an episode and find that it is just less skin-peelingly embarrassing than anything actually good. It wouldn't be a bad place for NuSimpsons to be in but it wouldn't make me want to watch it regularly. Makes me wonder whether or not cutting the number of episodes per season in half would improve the show any.

Id like a version of Zeno's paradox where the Simpsons continues forever but each season is half the length of the previous. In 7 years you're down to a single 5minute show per season, which could be kinda good, then pretty soon you're down to TikTok length, then individual frames, with the humour:episode ratio approaching infinity

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just watched it, it was okay and got a few chuckles out of me

Which means it's the best Simpsons has been in a long time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

Having a bigger budget would probably help some of the most glaring issues at least

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Just saw "Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars?" on TV (S32 E15, 2021) and I didn't completely hate it, even with the retconning (AGAIN) and the swift resolve.

The following episode in the series is on and it's awful, more retconning, another trite xmas episode slapped together with another 'Homer gets kicked out' storyline where half the actors sound like they're phoning it in from their death beds... (Manger things

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cursed ep tonight

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1513064306711142402

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Groundbreaking” as in the mastectomy woman with one boob that wasn’t even the focus of the episode and everyone quickly forgot about?

Edit: okay, there’s a deaf actor involved, too. That’s cool and good.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 10, 2022