Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

they should definitely take a page from dradog or FFXIV and implement cross-hotbar tech next game because the current system is just horribly unwieldy

I think it is basically what I'm describing with my imagined "hold down the spellcasting tool button and then press a face button" system. It's basically just the cross hotbar.

If you have your staff in your left hand, maybe you hold down L1 and then a crossbar shows up with four spells, each mapped to one of the face buttons. Maybe holding down L2 brings up a second page with four more spells, though that would mean you wouldn't be able to use your right-hand weapon art with a staff in your left hand so maybe a different solution would be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

RBA Starblade posted:

Where are my bonewheels

They have reincarnated in the form of skeletal snails. Yes, a snail skeleton makes sense why do you ask

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

can you narrow down "best"? there's some really efficient spells that are extremely good to have in all situations, and there's some really niche spells that are extremely good in specific cases (killing bosses, usually), but there's not a lot of overlap between the two

Ah, fair. And I should probably just look at the wiki for a list and see if I missed anything and if it sounds useful. I got paranoid that I'd start over and then learn I skipped some dungeon boss somewhere with Carian Turbo Moonbeam or something and be sad. I do suspect I bailed on a couple places because they only dropped spells

e: thanks everyone else too!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Chad Sexington posted:

Soulsborne virgin here. I've been enjoying Elden Ring so far, mostly for the trippy character design and exploration. Started as a Vagabond and now I'm level 30 with kind of a scattershot allocation of points in vigor, endurance, strength and dexterity. The dexterity was mostly to get enough to use the twinblade, which is currently my primary weapon.

I'm working through Stormveil Castle right now. I find myself getting hosed up by the knights and the Scion. I also got all the way through Castle Morne only to get my poo poo pushed in by Leonine Misbegotten. I'm having a hard time telling whether this is because I still have to git gud or if my gear/point allocation is hampering me somehow. I recognize there is value in trying these fights a bunch of times to get the attack patterns down, but it also feels like my stamina gets depleted awfully quickly if I try and block or dodge.

Am I handicapping myself by just running as a genero melee dude straddling strength and dex? Do I just need to be more patient in combat?

What are your stats like now? The one trap is focusing too much on STR/DEX - at 30 most of your damage will come from weapon upgrade scaling and not stat scaling. You will be best off dumping points into vigor and focusing on keeping your weapon levels as upgraded as possible. For like the first 50 levels you can reasonably only upgrade stats STR/DEX/FAI/INT/ARC to the minimum required to equip your current gear or spells and then put everything else into vigor and maybe some endurance

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

a kitten posted:

Last couple posts made me wonder: does anyone have a list of "best sorceries" to suggest? I think I've got a lot of those, but wouldn't be surprised if I missed some since my first playthrough didn't cast many. This would be stuff to grab before committing to new game+

I say get em all. Everything has its role. I haven't legit used the crystal torrent or shotgun or rain spells, but they deny enemies from getting close and punish them if they do. The only ones I feel are really useless are the blood sorceries since they require a specific build and there are only 2 of them. The big moon launcher ones seem pretty cool but mostly useless. The best spells are the simple ones.

I played through completely before they rebalanced the spells in 1.03 so I used pebble the most and just back peddled while casting it pretty much nonstop. Now you would probably want to replace it with great glintstone shard.

Idk. Sorcery is fun and I think that the charged spells are neat. Spellcasting and melee feel like two separate games, really. They both scratch different itches.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMgYHbmBrY

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've been really enjoying not crashing my zweihander off walls since going DW meteor blade and moonveil but the horseback combat with the zweihander is something else.

Might have a pure str/dex run next time where its either powerstanced colossal hammers or greatbows

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just a few outlier spells i think shouldn't get overlooked but probably don't make the cutoff for "best spells" list because they're gotten late or after quests or aren't universally useful:
-full moon spells: have huge int requirements, take forever to cast (and you can get knocked out of it by something sneezing on you), and doesn't do a ton of damage for the fp spent, but does debuff whatever it hits against magic damage for a minute, good as an boss opener
-comet: this is your big bullet spell if you're not going for a comet azur hose gimmick. sucks on the fp hose a lot though.
-shattering crystal: a big shotgun blast! does similar damage to comet if all the shards hit but for slightly more fp cost, but has more use in pvp because the spray is harder to dodge
-shard spiral: only gotten as part of a sidequest, and holy poo poo does the projectile travel slooooooooooooowly, but here's the kicker: it travels slowly because it continually hits whatever's touching it. it can really put the hurt on bosses with big hitboxes for an extremely low fp cost (i recommend spamming it, not charging it, you can get three spirals twirling in a target for about the same time it takes to get one charged shot off)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 1, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Chad Sexington posted:

Soulsborne virgin here. I've been enjoying Elden Ring so far, mostly for the trippy character design and exploration. Started as a Vagabond and now I'm level 30 with kind of a scattershot allocation of points in vigor, endurance, strength and dexterity. The dexterity was mostly to get enough to use the twinblade, which is currently my primary weapon.

I'm working through Stormveil Castle right now. I find myself getting hosed up by the knights and the Scion. I also got all the way through Castle Morne only to get my poo poo pushed in by Leonine Misbegotten. I'm having a hard time telling whether this is because I still have to git gud or if my gear/point allocation is hampering me somehow. I recognize there is value in trying these fights a bunch of times to get the attack patterns down, but it also feels like my stamina gets depleted awfully quickly if I try and block or dodge.

Am I handicapping myself by just running as a genero melee dude straddling strength and dex? Do I just need to be more patient in combat?
If you feel stuck you should go somewhere else and come back with better skills/gear. Finish the weeping peninsula if you haven't already, and maybe even do a bit of Liurnia there is a path to sneak by castle stormveil.
In the early game, weapon upgrades are more important then stats. And I would make the point that the game expects you to level your favourite weapon to +6(or +2 somber) while finishing stormveil castle.
Also, the no-magic build kinda expects you to do the most crafting, and grease up before engaging the boss.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

causticBeet posted:

What are your stats like now? The one trap is focusing too much on STR/DEX - at 30 most of your damage will come from weapon upgrade scaling and not stat scaling. You will be best off dumping points into vigor and focusing on keeping your weapon levels as upgraded as possible. For like the first 50 levels you can reasonably only upgrade stats STR/DEX/FAI/INT/ARC to the minimum required to equip your current gear or spells and then put everything else into vigor and maybe some endurance

Vigor: 20
Mind: 10
End: 14
Str: 21
Dex: 19
Int: 9
Faith: 9
Arc: 7

Could always whack some more giants to juice that vigor up I guess.

Epic High Five posted:

Mixing STR and DEX is called a quality build and in ER it's pretty bad, best to focus entirely on one. You should probably be using a STR weapon given what you've said, there's a good one in a cart on the way to Morne called the Morning Star that you may have gotten already. If you're using a shield, lower it when you aren't under attack and your stam will regen a lot faster, otherwise yeah a big part of combat in these games is stamina management. Patience will always be rewarded, and doing stuff like just seeing how long you can survive a boss' attacks is good for getting their attacks in your muscle memory. Jumping R2's (heavy attack) is great in this game as well, lots of damage and nukes poise so the bosses stagger and give you more windows

Yeah I do have the morning star too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Vigor: 20
Mind: 10
End: 14
Str: 21
Dex: 19
Int: 9
Faith: 9
Arc: 7

Could always whack some more giants to juice that vigor up I guess.

Yeah I do have the morning star too.

Vigor and End are best for ya for awhile unless you find something just out of your range. Upgrade whatever you like. Morning Star is versatile and has strike damage and bleed both of which are nice but you can make pretty much any weapon work in this game so long as you keep it upgraded. Vigor is very valuable as it determines how often you can gently caress up on a boss without dying

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So as a rough guide of where I am, 72 hours in but i reckon 3-5 of those are idling, I've killed Godrick, Rennalia and Radahn and finished Ranni's quest. I've made my way to the stranded castle thing that is in the north but not the ember manor which I've seen but yet to reach. I've done siofra river as far as I can tell and all/most of Caelid and the hole that opens up after you kill Radahn. I'm level 79 I think? Alternating between DW katana's that scale with magic and a frost zweihander right hand meteorite staff second hand

I haven't played in about a week or so just for being ill/irl stuff and I've kind of realised I don't know where the gently caress I'm supposed to go now. I assume the flame manor but can't figure out how to get there

I'm not even remotely interested in 100%ing the game but I do want to kill ( or have the mimic) kill all of the major bosses. Apparently doing the lake of rot as early as I did is very unusual?

edit: based on the evidence in this post is there a good spot i can camp to co-op so I can just dump a bunch of levels into stuff for fun. I can't imagine adding 15 end/mind would be game breaking

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 1, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also something i haven't hosed around with much myself because i'd either stick with pebble for maximum efficiency or go all the way to comet for maximum blammo, but apparently glintstone cometshard after the balance patch is sitting in a sweet spot of fp-to-damage if that's the thing that's most important to you

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

i've been really enjoying not crashing my zweihander off walls since going DW meteor blade and moonveil but the horseback combat with the zweihander is something else.

Might have a pure str/dex run next time where its either powerstanced colossal hammers or greatbows

Ridiculously long weapons on horseback is the best.

Night Cavalry was a joke once I got the nagakiba.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jose posted:

I haven't played in about a week or so just for being ill/irl stuff and I've kind of realised I don't know where the gently caress I'm supposed to go now. I assume the flame manor but can't figure out how to get there

The big place conspicuously absent from the list of things you've done, and main plot progression: Leyndell, the capital city How to get into Volcano Manor: The easiest trail there starts in Altus near where the Tibia Mariner is.

Also, are you sure you finished Ranni's quest? If you don't have the Dark Moon Greatsword, you ain't done yet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, for anyone struggling with horseback enemies like tree sentinels and night cavalry:

They're not programmed for a realistic joust tilt.

If you head straight for their right shoulder, full speed, and have your swing wind up timed, you will always land your hit while they miss by a mile.

If you have a long weapon it's even easier. Just head straight at them full speed and they'll whiff their hit 100% of the time, then you just do a big enough circle to line up your next head-on charge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also, are you sure you finished Ranni's quest? If you don't have the Dark Moon Greatsword, you ain't done yet.

I do have it but not the stats to wield it lol. Real disappointment it wasn't a colossal weapon

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

How far would you all pump Mind for early game going into midgame? I've been slamming Vig and Int

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

How far would you all pump Mind for early game going into midgame? I've been slamming Vig and Int

If you aren't a mage, ignore it. If you are then I think I see a lot of builds with 20ish. I got 26 despite being a caveman for Tiche and because I use weapon arts a lot and that's plenty. Probably still ignore it for awhile since you're gonna be smacking things most of the time anyway. Get some magic ashes and make something you like int-scaling

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Night Maiden's Mist is only for a subset of slow or stationary enemies but it works wonders on them and is really good for cheesing certain enemies

Yeah I keep this equipped because sometimes it really comes in handy.

Glintstone Cometshard has become my go-to for things that take too many pebble shots to kill, which are most things these days.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
From my limited PvP experience I found night maiden's mist useful for area denial

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mr. Crow posted:

Use black knife tische ash she shits on both of them

I've been farming for Alecto, so I was like, oh I guess I'll need better Physiks, so I go to go get the extra poise break one. Oh I'm dying to the erd tree, I guess I'll just upgrade my mimic, oh I don't have the stuff, so I better go get some gravewort. There, now my mimic is +9, the Erd Tree Guardian thing goes down nice and easy, and then it hits me.

I used all the ghost gravewort that I was going to use on Black Knife on the mimic. So even when I finally kill Alecto, I'll not actually have the resources to upgrade them until much much later.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

more or less why i've kept on trucking with the mimic whenever i need an ash summon, or my buddies the greatshield boys (also i don't have enough mind to summon tiche)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Where are they

I know they're in here

Where are my bonewheels

They seem to be the red frogmen around Mohg's palace, and this time they let you stagger them out of their rolling if you do even a single point of damage. Protip: put on a piece of Briars armor and roll into them, bing bong

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

They have reincarnated in the form of skeletal snails. Yes, a snail skeleton makes sense why do you ask

I think the snails are more like snakes with shells than snails. You even get serpent arrows from them

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Mimic and Tiche are both useful depending on the boss. Mimic seems straight up tankier if you need something to take abuse, but Tiche dodges attacks more effectively so she can frequently avoid getting hit altogether. Tiche also does more damage since the nerf, her DoT effect does serious work on alot of bosses. Mimic can also be tailored a bit depending on what spells/weapons you want him/her to be using against specific targets. Use both!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cowcaster posted:

more or less why i've kept on trucking with the mimic whenever i need an ash summon, or my buddies the greatshield boys (also i don't have enough mind to summon tiche)

Protip: the infinite FP physik will let you cast spells that cost more than your total FP

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I haven't seen much discussion about it but man, I'm really enjoying Wing of Astel as a spellcaster weapon. Not only do you get free sword lasers on your R2, the weapon art is absurdly good at fighting large bosses! Most of them get staggered after like 3 or 4 casts, and then I can just spam it while they're on the ground for absolutely massive damage. It's a real fun time!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I haven't seen much discussion about it but man, I'm really enjoying Wing of Astel as a spellcaster weapon. Not only do you get free sword lasers on your R2, the weapon art is absurdly good at fighting large bosses! Most of them get staggered after like 3 or 4 casts, and then I can just spam it while they're on the ground for absolutely massive damage. It's a real fun time!

Yeah I was posting about it yesterday, Wing of Astel absolutely shreds

It's fun to use a weapon that relies so much on its heavy attacks. Those R2s are fantastic, especially if you can get a full charge, and yeah the weapon art annihilates large enemies. I'm swapping between it and Dark Moon Greatsword on my Int build and having a great time.

Nebula costs the same amount of FP as a Moonveil L2+R2, too

Friendship ended with Moonveil, now Wing of Astel is my best friend, etc.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sockser posted:

Protip: the infinite FP physik will let you cast spells that cost more than your total FP

i got other things for my physick baby

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think the snails are more like snakes with shells than snails. You even get serpent arrows from them

Be wary of snake, but house.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Boba Pearl posted:

I've been farming for Alecto, so I was like, oh I guess I'll need better Physiks, so I go to go get the extra poise break one. Oh I'm dying to the erd tree, I guess I'll just upgrade my mimic, oh I don't have the stuff, so I better go get some gravewort. There, now my mimic is +9, the Erd Tree Guardian thing goes down nice and easy, and then it hits me.

I used all the ghost gravewort that I was going to use on Black Knife on the mimic. So even when I finally kill Alecto, I'll not actually have the resources to upgrade them until much much later.

I don't recall exactly where I got them all, but if you've advanced Ranni's quest enough to have access to fighting Alecto, I'm like 95% sure you've been through areas that give you two, if not three, Great Ghost Gloveworts.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Harrow posted:

Friendship ended with Moonveil, now Wing of Astel is my best friend, etc.

Yeah, used it some last night and it's an interesting weapon for sure. Not sure if I'm quite ready to give up Moonveil but I'll definitely be spending more time with the Wing. It's a few pounds lighter also which is a bonus.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah, the Darkmoon Greatsword seems sick too! I haven't been using it because between Moonveil, Wing of Astel, and the Carian Regal Scepter, I don't have enough Somber stones to get another +9 Weapon. But If I do, I might pick that up as well. It'll add a nice heavy option to my toolkit, and plus, more sword lasers!

Being a mage is a blast in this one. So many cool weapons, and quite a few useful spells too! Mostly been leaning on Adula's Moonblade lately, that spell's fantastic if you can hit with both the blade + the beam.

AcidCat posted:

Yeah, used it some last night and it's an interesting weapon for sure. Not sure if I'm quite ready to give up Moonveil but I'll definitely be spending more time with the Wing. It's a few pounds lighter also which is a bonus.

My experience is largely, well, they're both excellent weapons that excel in different areas, and there's no downside to swapping between both (well, aside from the weight).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Can confirm, though I'm sitting on mimic, tiche, and shiteater at +9 cause I'm a dumbass

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AcidCat posted:

Arzaac posted:

My experience is largely, well, they're both excellent weapons that excel in different areas, and there's no downside to swapping between both (well, aside from the weight).

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing with Wing of Astel and DMGS. Honestly I do also love Moonveil, I've just used it a bunch already so Wing of Astel is kind of refreshing.

Wing of Astel's downside is that it's a lot shorter than Moonveil, but the beams on the R2s more than make up for it. And while its per-hit damage is lower than Moonveil with the R1s, if you can hit the R2s point-blank you get to hit with the blade and the beam, which hits like a truck.

DMGS's sword beams hit extremely hard, too, with the only downside being that you have to maintain the buff.

Spellblade builds are really blessed in Elden Ring, there are a lot of great options. Haven't even touched on Bastard's Stars and Helphen's Steeple yet. Or the Royal Greatsword if you want a more Str-heavy option.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Really hate that bell bearings don't carry over to NG+. I even bought loads of each tier before jumping over but now that it's a finite resource until I get to the very end game my consumables brain has activated and I don't want to use them.

For anybody who wants to streamline it to test a bunch of stuff out, it's 12 of each tier and 130k runes to get a weapon to +24 and 1 of each tier and 90k for sombers +9. In my experience it's either insanely worth it to bring something to the final tier or super not worth it and the next rank stat preview will tell you which one that weapon is

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

just a few outlier spells i think shouldn't get overlooked but probably don't make the cutoff for "best spells" list because they're gotten late or after quests or aren't universally useful:
-full moon spells: have huge int requirements, take forever to cast (and you can get knocked out of it by something sneezing on you), and doesn't do a ton of damage for the fp spent, but does debuff whatever it hits against magic damage for a minute, good as an boss opener
-comet: this is your big bullet spell if you're not going for a comet azur hose gimmick. sucks on the fp hose a lot though.
-shattering crystal: a big shotgun blast! does similar damage to comet if all the shards hit but for slightly more fp cost, but has more use in pvp because the spray is harder to dodge
-shard spiral: only gotten as part of a sidequest, and holy poo poo does the projectile travel slooooooooooooowly, but here's the kicker: it travels slowly because it continually hits whatever's touching it. it can really put the hurt on bosses with big hitboxes for an extremely low fp cost (i recommend spamming it, not charging it, you can get three spirals twirling in a target for about the same time it takes to get one charged shot off)

Rapid fire uncharged shard spiral fuckkn owns against big stuff like ulcerated tree spirit. Anything big like dragons just MELTS to it. I love it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Moon Greatsword's good but I really hate that the uncharged R2 is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Epic High Five posted:

Really hate that bell bearings don't carry over to NG+. I even bought loads of each tier before jumping over but now that it's a finite resource until I get to the very end game my consumables brain has activated and I don't want to use them.

For anybody who wants to streamline it to test a bunch of stuff out, it's 12 of each tier and 130k runes to get a weapon to +24 and 1 of each tier and 90k for sombers +9. In my experience it's either insanely worth it to bring something to the final tier or super not worth it and the next rank stat preview will tell you which one that weapon is

I've heard about the bell bearings not carrying over to NG+, which is lame, but just to confirm, you can buy a bunch of upgrade materials before jumping to NG+ and those do carry over?