Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gyoru posted:

that's what Pioneers of Olive Town attempted to do and failed at :v:

I wish it didn't try to loving chase Stardew.

I don't want to play Stardew, I don't like that game. I don't care for the art style or the mandated need to go and do a bad Zelda like to progress the town. I do not period, want to sit in a goddamn mine hitting bits of rock in my game about farming or have to spreadsheet out insane crafting chains to build a bench.

The original 3DS Story of Seasons was basically the perfect game for me. You had fields and a town and you farmed poo poo and that was it. And it was really good at that one thing. It had art that was sublime, ran smoothly and had a bunch of cute animals and that's all I want.

So when Pioneers feels compelled to add makers for literally everything and a stupid roguelike set of mines that take full days to get through I just want to scream.

Just do what you do well, get that right first, then expand.

It's sad because even with all of that I'll still play Pioneers because it has the goodass farming and harvesting millions by the day that I like, but everything this studio makes could be so much better if they just focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

just give us Porco again and don't explain why he looks the exact same, I want more Sainte-Coquille action

I mean. He's basically an immortal being coming back under various guises and names. Don't mind the family in 2.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Aren't Olive Town's mining and makers and whatnot basically an expansion of Mineral Town's mining and makers and whatnot.
If it looks like Stardew stuff I'm pretty sure that's 'cause Stardew took a lot from FoMT.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I remember mining a bunch way back in Magical Melody. It's not Stardew that is making Story of Seasons have mining mechanics.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Hell, Story of Seasons Trio of Towns had a ton of different makers, and honestly a much, much, much better system than POoT. I was severely disappointed by POoT on the grounds that it didn't steal from the earlier iterations in the series.

And yeah, the mines have been in Harvest Moon games since forever basically. No combat, or very limited combat, but they've been a series staple. It's yet another reason why I tend to prefer the Rune Factory series, since the dungeons in the RF series are a lot more fun than the arbitrary mines in the HM/SoS series.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The more of these games I play the more of a love letter to them I see Stardew being.

I am -real- happy I found RF4 though, what an excellent game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hellioning posted:

I remember mining a bunch way back in Magical Melody. It's not Stardew that is making Story of Seasons have mining mechanics.

I contend that having a 30+ level roguelike dungeon with enemies shooting lightning at you is a product of Stardew/Rune Factory aping. A mine which is just like a room that you get ore from is fine. That's happened plenty of times before.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kyte posted:

Aren't Olive Town's mining and makers and whatnot basically an expansion of Mineral Town's mining and makers and whatnot.
If it looks like Stardew stuff I'm pretty sure that's 'cause Stardew took a lot from FoMT.

In the 3DS games the Makers were more one stop facilities, so instead of needing a Yogurt Maker, a Mayo Maker, a Cheese Maker, and a Butter Maker, you'd have like one Dairy Maker capable of taking up to thirty different stacks of inputs and go produce from there. Whereas Stardew Valley and Pioneers (at launch) only let you place one item in one maker at a time, encouraging you to have multiple of the same type of Maker to meet your demand.

With Mining, the 3DS games' mines were just glorified gathering points rather than pseudo-dungeons. I don't think any of the previous games had, like, enemies that spawn in like Pioneer of Olive Town, did they?

Idk it kind of seems like the only reason we're seeing these mechanics have a resurgence is because of SV's success because the series had been moving away from them for over a decade.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I contend that having a 30+ level roguelike dungeon with enemies shooting lightning at you is a product of Stardew/Rune Factory aping. A mine which is just like a room that you get ore from is fine. That's happened plenty of times before.

Magical Melody came out 10 years prior to Stardew. The mines were around in HM games long before Stardew came around is the point. Did Stardew do it better than the HM/SoS games? Absolutely, yes. Did it do the mines better than RF (which also had randomized dungeons)? No, definitely not.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dirk the Average posted:

For the first bit - you can get town events happening where a character is participating in some random thing around town. Once you finish that event, they'll go back to normal. I think Dylas will sell you bread if you bring him to the restaurant though? Pretty sure he works at the bread shop.

Also, I think you have access to silver at this point? If you do, it's worth making better farming tools. There's a recipe for each increase in ore level (iron -> bronze -> silver -> etc.), and it makes farming much simpler.

I have some silver ore but I don't have crafting recipes to make better farming tools. I have the best ones I can have at this point. Which bread/skill/whatever do I need to increase to be able to make better tools? Actually while I'm at it, which kind of bread gives you more armor recipes, specifically? The game isn't terribly clear on which recipes I can get from which bread.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

I have some silver ore but I don't have crafting recipes to make better farming tools. I have the best ones I can have at this point. Which bread/skill/whatever do I need to increase to be able to make better tools? Actually while I'm at it, which kind of bread gives you more armor recipes, specifically? The game isn't terribly clear on which recipes I can get from which bread.

Weapon: Weapons
Farming: Tools
Chemistry: stuff at Chemistry Bench
Crafting: Crafting Bench stuff, including Armor
Cooking: Cooking

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

To add on to the above:

Farming Bread:
Hoes/Watering Cans/Scythes require both Forging and Farming skill (usually it's forging that's lagging behind)
Hammers require Forging and Mining (better hammers are a huge priority, as better hammers yield more and better ore)
Axes require Forging and Logging (usually logging is lagging behind)
Fishing Poles require Forging and Fishing (usually fishing is lagging behind)

Weapon Bread:
Weapons require both the Forging skill and their respective Weapon or Magic skill. I believe the formula for weapon recipes is that you can unlock up to Forging + 10 and Weapon Skill * 2, so a weapon skill of 50 and Forging of 90 gives you access to all normal recipes (there are postgame recipes, but those unlock in, well, the postgame).

Crafting Bread:
Crafting makes armor, shields, headgear, footwear, and accessories, and no other skill is required.

Chemistry Bread:
Chemistry recipes depend on only Chemistry skill

Cooking Bread:
Cooking recipes depend only upon Cooking skill and which tools you have unlocked (i.e. no mixer = no mixer recipes)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The silver farm tools all have much higher skill requirements than the silver weapons. In fact, gold weapons showed up for me before silver tools. I ended up just making a half dozen gold longswords to spam the skill up while still keeping my silver to be used on the tools

e: I also generally haven't had any trouble having my other skills be at the required level. It's just the crafting skills themselves I end up needing to grind (because they're limited by finding new items, which is limited by story progress)

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 1, 2022

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

To add on to the above:

Farming Bread:
Hoes/Watering Cans/Scythes require both Forging and Farming skill (usually it's forging that's lagging behind)
Hammers require Forging and Mining (better hammers are a huge priority, as better hammers yield more and better ore)
Axes require Forging and Logging (usually logging is lagging behind)

Weapon Bread:
Weapons require both the Forging skill and their respective Weapon or Magic skill. I believe the formula for weapon recipes is that you can unlock up to Forging + 10 and Weapon Skill * 2, so a weapon skill of 50 and Forging of 90 gives you access to all normal recipes (there are postgame recipes, but those unlock in, well, the postgame).

Crafting Bread:
Crafting makes armor, shields, headgear, footwear, and accessories, and no other skill is required.

Chemistry Bread:
Chemistry recipes depend on only Chemistry skill

Cooking Bread:
Cooking recipes depend only upon Cooking skill and which tools you have unlocked (i.e. no mixer = no mixer recipes)

I didn't know the rest but I knew that about Cooking, should have at least put that whoops~

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Wait Pioneers of Olive Town has enemies in the mines? What the hell. Keep monsters in Rune Factory only, please.

Also I finally got Ludmilla to my town and she is by far the best wife candidate in the game. I was thinking I might have to settle for this boring princess or just be single, but thankfully they saved all the appeal for one person. Oswald is confirmed for a cool guy, bro for life thank you for introducing us.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
beatrice grew on me after her first character event

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Beatrice is pretty great in her character events.

Speaking of, I think I've hit a plot point that's blocking them? I'm just post Ludmilla joining and returning to the dungeon Beatrice lives in the entrance of. I'm not getting the markers to continue Priscilla's so I'm guessing the plot is blocking them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know about that one specificlaly but some character events can only continue at specific times of day. It might just need to be evening or even night for the event to appear.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am not sure where but I picked up a sword that's a giant carrot.

.... I am totally giving this to Dylas.

Dirk the Average posted:

You say this but I do A LOT of fishing, so i can make sashimi to give Dylas. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cheetah7071 posted:

beatrice grew on me after her first character event

She's become my favorite. Scarlett is a cop, Fuuka is a dog. I can't break up Priscilla and Lucy because they're cute together, and the game doesn't let me marry any of the adult women.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Scarlett is a cop so are you

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

cheetah7071 posted:

:wth:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Silver Falcon posted:

I am not sure where but I picked up a sword that's a giant carrot.

.... I am totally giving this to Dylas.

You say this but I do A LOT of fishing, so i can make sashimi to give Dylas. :v:

If you fish up a tuna save it and check the long sword recipes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think my favorite thing about the "joke" weapons is that because they tend to take 1 ingredient to craft, they end up being fantastic bases for lategame weapon crafting. It's hilarious to run around with a vegetable for a weapon and smack some boss that's trying to take itself seriously.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
We should update the thread title to include Rune Factory 5 since that’s what most people are chatting about.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Main character is more like a small town deputized sheriff who goes on adventures. Scarlett is just a cop.

And yes, add me to the group of people who like Ludmilla. She’s fun. Looks like the best female bachelorette since foxy item shop lady isn’t an option.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

You're not wrong, but every time I talk to her she yells about enforcing the rules. She wants to be a cop. I just want to hang out with my animals and farm.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
She seems to mellow out a lot after some plot events.

I was also amused when I first put her in my party and she was level 14 while I was 58. Some rival you are.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kyte posted:

If you fish up a tuna save it and check the long sword recipes.

Ooh. I am intrigued.

MotU posted:

I didn't know the rest but I knew that about Cooking, should have at least put that whoops~

I think I have these figured out. It's Accessory Bread that teaches you armor recipes. I understand the game is trying to keep things kind of cute and simple, but I wish it would be A BIT more up front with what does what. Thanks to some Accessory Bread, I now know how to make Chain Mail and Scale Mail! That should help.

I still am piddling around with iron tools though. I think it must be my gathering skill that's lagging behind. What's a good way to get that up? Just run around with my fairy, Tinkerhell, and pick stuff up while she kills things for me?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I know its a fantasy world and everything, but the baths being on the second floor of the inn bothers me way more than it should. I mean the town has a dedicated architect why the gently caress is he not down there everyday screaming like a doomsday preacher. was he involved?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jimlit posted:

I know its a fantasy world and everything, but the baths being on the second floor of the inn bothers me way more than it should. I mean the town has a dedicated architect why the gently caress is he not down there everyday screaming like a doomsday preacher. was he involved?

Talk to him a bit. I think you'll find that was probably his idea entirely.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

Ooh. I am intrigued.

I think I have these figured out. It's Accessory Bread that teaches you armor recipes. I understand the game is trying to keep things kind of cute and simple, but I wish it would be A BIT more up front with what does what. Thanks to some Accessory Bread, I now know how to make Chain Mail and Scale Mail! That should help.

I still am piddling around with iron tools though. I think it must be my gathering skill that's lagging behind. What's a good way to get that up? Just run around with my fairy, Tinkerhell, and pick stuff up while she kills things for me?

You need to eat farming bread. If you don't get new recipes either your forging skill is too low (its 15 for bronze tools) and your other skills need to level a bit for the tools to appear as blueprints too.

Also RF5: Finally unlocked Ludmilla, shes waaaay too late compared to the rest imo. Also I noticed that the group dialogues on festival days dont work unless all 6 bachelors/bachelorettes are around, thats 100% a step back from RF4 where they worked even with the initial cast.

Also, does Object X before bed cheese no longer work in RF5?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

Also, does Object X before bed cheese no longer work in RF5?
It does not - looks like self-inflicted statuses no longer raise resist status.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why are the mini NPC icons creepy doll heads what are these eyes

the eyes of a monster

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It does not - looks like self-inflicted statuses no longer raise resist status.

Weird how they kept a lot of the weird mechanics and secret things but not that

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Gamerofthegame posted:

why are the mini NPC icons creepy doll heads what are these eyes

I had the same thought, It's the creepy beady eyes that do it.

Also holy loving god it's a minefield of character events. If you end one event in a location where another one can trigger it instantly does so and its a bit annoying to be honest!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TurnipFritter posted:

With Mining, the 3DS games' mines were just glorified gathering points rather than pseudo-dungeons. I don't think any of the previous games had, like, enemies that spawn in like Pioneer of Olive Town, did they?

Idk it kind of seems like the only reason we're seeing these mechanics have a resurgence is because of SV's success because the series had been moving away from them for over a decade.

I haven’t gotten around to playing PoOT so i can’t directly compare, but roguelike mining dungeons have been a thing since at least Mineral Town. They even had enemies that’d eat away at your health. Harvest Moon DS tripled down on the mining dungeon considering it hid a secret bachelorette on the bottom of a 255 floor mine. And there was a 999 floor and 65,535 floor mine for people who really liked mining. The 3ds era games did pivot away from mining dungeons but they’ve been around for a while.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Talk to him a bit. I think you'll find that was probably his idea entirely.

Palmo is great. I kinda wonder if all the space between buildings was intended to give some room to have artsy expansions from him, but was a bit too ambitious for this entry.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it was to make it easier to navigate the town

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

As mentioned, eat farming bread to learn new tool recipes. If you can't learn new tool recipes, then you need to upgrade your forging skill (the skill levels for tools are are 5, 15, 30, 45, 80). You almost certainly have the farming/mining/logging/whatever to at least get bronze tools by now.

The only real "gathering" skill is Mining (yes, searching exists, but...). That'll help you get better ores in larger quantities. Smack rocks with a hammer. Make a better hammer. Smack better rocks with a hammer. Gems also sell for a decent amount too, so that can be a nice way to supplement income since gem/ore nodes respawn daily.

Also remember that you need a LOT of wood/stone to upgrade your fields/barns/etc. It's definitely worth finding out where stumps and rocks spawn every day and dedicating an in-game hour or three to chopping wood and mining stone.

Once you do get tools that are better than iron (the cheap tools), you can charge them up to do things like water in a larger area. The sickle also has a really neat property - if you chop a fully grown crop, it'll spit out a higher level seed. This is capped by the quality of the sickle though, so you need the best sickle in the game to get a level 10 seed, and correspondingly worse sickles have lower maximum levels of seeds. If you sell a crop or a seed that is a higher level, the store will actually start selling you seeds at that level, so you can eventually be growing every crop at level 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Dirk the Average posted:

Once you do get tools that are better than iron (the cheap tools), you can charge them up to do things like water in a larger area. The sickle also has a really neat property - if you chop a fully grown crop, it'll spit out a higher level seed. This is capped by the quality of the sickle though, so you need the best sickle in the game to get a level 10 seed, and correspondingly worse sickles have lower maximum levels of seeds. If you sell a crop or a seed that is a higher level, the store will actually start selling you seeds at that level, so you can eventually be growing every crop at level 10.

Well, soft capped by the sickle. It is hard floored by the level of the plant, which means if you level up the seed to 5 and then fertilize the plant up to level 6, even the cheap sickle will give you level 6 seeds, which you can plant and level up etc. Less relevant in 5 than 4 since the flower store unlocks so late, but still.