Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cooked Auto posted:

What I'm curious about is if this is a reprint or actually a new edition.

It'd be hilarious if a small number of them contained instead an account of the Rangdan Xenocides instead of the expected handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

And then you get strangely human moments like a White Scar taking the time to teach a burnt out guardsman with lovely bionics how to be a sniper again

That whole thing was so, so good. And the one who quotes the "And they shall know no fear"-speech when he is talking terminally ill and soon to be dead Dorden legit hit me in the feels.

Which one was the one who takes time to attempt to read Gaunt's body language and facial expression for practice's sake, since it is something they usually don't do?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is all penance for the scene in Traitor General where ten starving and underequipped guard kill 5 well equipped traitor marines who have the element of surprise without losing anyone

Yeah, that was eyebrow-raising. Though in fairness, afterwards the guard spend some time in daze audibly wondering how the actual gently caress they pulled it off.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Warden posted:

Yeah, that was eyebrow-raising. Though in fairness, afterwards the guard spend some time in daze audibly wondering how the actual gently caress they pulled it off.

It took a while for Abnett to really 'get' marines like he does now. I think Traitor General was a similar sort of time to when he was doing Iron Snakes short stories. The first Ghosts stories have them bringing Marines down left right and center.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghostmaker does have a story where they flawlessly counter-ambush a bunch of Chaos Marines that are attacking a Guard artillery convoy if I remember correctly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Warden posted:

I think most of the kills are explosive related tbh, a lot of grenade kills.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I just finished the second Urdesh book and really enjoyed it. I got Attack on Titan vibes from one of the daemons in it that definitely feels deliberate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cooked Auto posted:

Ghostmaker does have a story where they flawlessly counter-ambush a bunch of Chaos Marines that are attacking a Guard artillery convoy if I remember correctly.

In First and Only a massive infantry push by the Ghosts and the Vitrian dragoons manages to overpower an Iron Warrior but not before he mulched most of them with an autocannon.

The Ghostmaker one though, yeah, I don't care how much diddly you bring with your lasguns, a Berserker isn't going down that easily.

The one in Traitor General wasn't just the Ghosts though. The Nihtghane were helping them by turning the marines' heads into pincushions with poison darts.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

Awkwardly tucked away on the WarCom site under the Articles/Black Library section. I usually notice that its updated when someone comments about on twitter.

I always want these pre-orders and there's a few on that list I really want but I always seem to miss :( is the notification mechanic just marketing emails?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I always want these pre-orders and there's a few on that list I really want but I always seem to miss :( is the notification mechanic just marketing emails?

Releases are always Saturday at 1pm EST. Previews for what is coming out the next week is always on Sundays on the Warhammer Community site and also in emails if you are signed up. I make sure to check the email every week and then set an alarm for Saturday if there is something I want.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

The one in Traitor General wasn't just the Ghosts though. The Nihtghane were helping them by turning the marines' heads into pincushions with poison darts.

And I think it was stated that the Nihtghane were getting murdered while they were fighting back

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Still, it’s excessive. Rawne blows off a chaos marine’s head with a hotshot las. Varl steals a marine’s bolter and shoots him a ton of times in the head with it while the marine is… apparently not stopping him. Gaunt cuts a marine in half with a single swing of his sword before the marine can apparently sense him or react. Criid falls into an explosion that killed a marine and walks away slightly singed.

The thing that scene fails at is remembering how inhumanly fast Marine reactions are and how incredibly resilient they are (not to mention how they are able to act even while dying of catastrophic damage). My wife doesn’t play the game or anything but she reads the books because she finds them fun, and she didn’t like TG largely because that scene struck her as absurd.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Chaos marines are also very susceptible to plants when against the first and only :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I loved the short story Killbox about Mkoll playing with the Marines. Turns out they all play dirty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How long do you think Horus was in the warp before he came back ? Like a thousand years ?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

euphronius posted:

How long do you think Horus was in the warp before he came back ? Like a thousand years ?

Forget if they ever give a solid number but it'd be pretty thematic if it was 10k.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's not books but they just posted the Golden Demon winners from Adepticon and there are some absolutely ridiculous miniature painters:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/29/here-are-the-fantastic-golden-demon-winners-crowned-at-adepticon-2022

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
The blending on that skink is something else, holy moly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

orphean posted:

The blending on that skink is something else, holy moly.

i guess i dont understand painting because i thought this looked way more insane:

The other ones that I thought looked like winners:

This looks like a drawing its insane

This looks way too fun, but I guess the judges have a hard on for blending (even tho there looks to be some nice blending on the squiggs)

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's hard to tell without scale, but those mini's are probably between 2-5x the size of the skink, which is why it's extra impressive.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Are they doing any more books in their space noir series? I listened to two of them and I really enjoyed them, always enjoy getting a chance to see things away from the frontlines.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jerkface posted:

i guess i dont understand painting because i thought this looked way more insane:

This looks way too fun, but I guess the judges have a hard on for blending (even tho there looks to be some nice blending on the squiggs)

I also thought those were much better. Even if they are bigger models they have blending etc in parts that are just as small as the skink

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

DaysBefore posted:

Are they doing any more books in their space noir series? I listened to two of them and I really enjoyed them, always enjoy getting a chance to see things away from the frontlines.

Pretty sure they are. They have at least three series started. The release cadence on the sub lines like crime and horror is slower for sure though.

Jerkface posted:

You understand it just fine Imo :v: I agree all those are much cooler than the skink. Pretty sure it just won on technical merit since it’s like absolutely perfect. The judges also look at these things super close so as far as we know there was some microscopic mistake or something on the others. Usually the slayer sword winner is a big flagship piece so judges threw a curve ball this year for sure.

orphean fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 30, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Once in a blue moon the judges remember that not every category is a diorama competition and they give the gold to a miniature that could actually see the table someday.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Once in a blue moon the judges remember that not every category is a diorama competition and they give the gold to a miniature that could actually see the table someday.

One day there should be a "3 foot category" where everything is judged from 3 feet away to give a proper tabletop appearance.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/30/warhammer-crime-a-new-season-of-dark-thrillers-begins/

Just announced the next two. Even better the first one is a book with the characters from Dredge Runners which was the Crime audiodrama with the ratling and the ogryn and was hilarious and amazing. If you haven't listened to it yet you should the book definitely has the possibility of being the funniest 40k book released.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
NGL that skink is drat sexy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

D-Pad posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/30/warhammer-crime-a-new-season-of-dark-thrillers-begins/

Just announced the next two. Even better the first one is a book with the characters from Dredge Runners which was the Crime audiodrama with the ratling and the ogryn and was hilarious and amazing. If you haven't listened to it yet you should the book definitely has the possibility of being the funniest 40k book released.

Oh sick good timing. The Ogryn book was the one I never checked out so I'll be sure to grab that next (unless the last Bequin comes first of course). Plus that blog post mentioned a bunch of anthologies I'd never read!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kinda amazed it took me this long to realize all of the Crime series covers are the same.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I've really enjoyed all of the Crime novels I've read

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Finished The First Heretic at the thread's recommendation, that owned. Really, really enjoyed it. Maybe the Word Bearers are just my thing, but I thought that was great, start to finish.

I will say that while I understand they're big, important characters with plenty of lore and importance in other books and the grand scheme of the franchise, I think Kor Phaeron and Erebus are just such needless, uninteresting characters who ultimately took away from the tragedy of the entire plot. They're the devils whispering in Lorgar's ear, but they wind up removing a lot of the weight of his decision making from him, and there just being "these two assholes" behind everything really undermines the fall from grace.

Otherwise, just 10/10. Great rec, thank you thread.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Even in universe Erebus is just the worst. Horus kicked his rear end out for being too much of a shitbag. Horus!

orphean fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 1, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Otherwise, just 10/10. Great rec, thank you thread.

Betrayer makes a good followup, if you haven't read it already.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Read 'know no fear', then betrayer. They're effectively a sub-trilogy within the whole.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jerkface posted:

My understanding is that judging is subtractive, ie for every flaw they find they take away points. The gist is, the skink was literally perfect. It is small and simple, but the paintjob is flawless.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

https://twitter.com/warcomteam/status/1509833506272251907?s=21&t=XsS_IqdeBOPXhU5xjKcuCQ

April fools?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gently caress this dumbass day

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
We already got a couple for necromunda...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It might be an April fool's thing but squats are still around and have even been in some recent books plus this is gonna drive the fanbase wild so I think GW will bring them back fully even if this video is supposed to be a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Realistically the only thing could be a kill team maybe? Easy way to test the waters and get a single kit out.

Worked well for Kreig and those new pirate eldar from what I can tell?