Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Zomborgon posted:

Those are Nald's Norbs

Nald's Knobs.

Can we declare SA GOTY #1 for 2022 right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have basically never ever liked a competitive game, overall. Sometimes I can have fun with it like in Splatoon's early days or such but I'm here primarily to cooperate with players rather than compete with them. No matter how low the stakes or how easy it would be to get something. It's not why I play video games.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Go into pvp not caring if you win or lose and you'll be fine and have your drip in no time!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Vitamean posted:

I promise you guys if you queue for frontlines daily challenge and stick with the group of people no one's gonna care if you die a couple of times

you may even

end up

liking it

It's pretty unlikely, but it could happen.

But yeah there's no expectations on performance or anything, and as long as you're not idling at spawn nobody's gonna say a word to you specifically.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I have basically never ever liked a competitive game, overall. Sometimes I can have fun with it like in Splatoon's early days or such but I'm here primarily to cooperate with players rather than compete with them. No matter how low the stakes or how easy it would be to get something. It's not why I play video games.

This is basically how I feel about games.

I also have all the GARO armors, titles, and mounts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Frontline roulette is also one of the best daily XP sources

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just do PvP when my guildie says "hey guys I'm doing PvP and dragging you with me" and I still have capped wolf marks and a couple of rediculous outfits. It's very easy to get assuming Garo isn't disappearing in two weeks or something.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
PvP rocks. Daily challenge gives you a ton of experience and I have seen people telling others how bad they are playing vote kicked. People trying to get these mounts are probably gonna understand it's close to a RNG grind.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Like, Frontlines meets the technical definition of "competitive" in the sense that you're fighting against other players, but almost no one actually takes it seriously. It's a fun side diversion against nameless adversaries where most people are following the deathball around while they listen to a podcast or smoke a bowl. It's no different than playing a game of basketball on your driveway when your friends come over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We're getting new glam plates, any word on more space yet?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hell, a lot of the frontlines objectives are PvE. You're in a group trying to destroy crystals or capture zones.

But yeah, I can understand not wanted to get into something on the competitive end. Frontlines is about as far away as you can get while still being competitive.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Frontlines is pretty chill and my team actually won once by not doing anything because the other two teams were so focused on killing each other instead of going for the tomestones.

Also I'm sitting on a cool 18K Wolf Marks I don't know what to spend on because I already got the mount.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you do poorly in pvp I'll cry

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Frontlines is pretty chill and my team actually won once by not doing anything because the other two teams were so focused on killing each other instead of going for the tomestones.

Also I'm sitting on a cool 18K Wolf Marks I don't know what to spend on because I already got the mount.

Buy the Late Allagan glam because it's rad AF.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's not a quick way to make gil but I usually buy and sell the orchestral rolls. I do the roulette every day that I play and cap pretty often.

Probably gonna max out to buy some of that armor for 6.1, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's nothing competitive about Frontline because there's nothing that you, personally, can do to affect the outcome

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

There's nothing competitive about Frontline because there's nothing that you, personally, can do to affect the outcome

Technically there is, but it involves you being in voice chat with a few people so you can actually coordinate vs a bunch of people milling about more or less aimlessly.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bruceski posted:

We're getting new glam plates, any word on more space yet?

The previous live letter said 6.2 is when they will be doubling the glamour dresser space.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

Technically there is, but it involves you being in voice chat with a few people so you can actually coordinate vs a bunch of people milling about more or less aimlessly.

As a healer I glue myself to the first Ninja/Reaper/Dragoon who seems to know what they're doing and pocket their rear end.

It's a great feeling when every melee DPS in your alliance has BH5 because you've been getting them out of bullshit. :iia:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

FuturePastNow posted:

Nah.

As for good stuff to spend wolf marks on, ARR stuff and maybe hw stuff can be desynth'd so it's a reasonable dump to get up like, alchemy or carpentry to 300 or so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

parasyte posted:

The previous live letter said 6.2 is when they will be doubling the glamour dresser space.

Doubling?! That's more than I ever dreamed.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Here's my admission:

I hate player versus player games. I have this problem where when I know the character I'm fighting is a real person my hands start shaking and I tend to lose focus really quickly, and in playing squad-based games I feel this immense weight of not letting my team down. I tried a few rounds of Apex and just could not get over feeling like I was holding my teams back.

I still love Frontlines. Romping around a big plain taking on objectives is great, especially if someone in the alliance is coordinated enough to direct the murder ball to the right places, and if you're playing a ranged job you can generally hang back and plink at dudes without putting yourself into the dunk zone. I wasn't a big fan of Feast but I do want to at least try casual matching in Crystal Conflict.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
At the very least spend your wolf marks on the BLM boots that surgically replace your feet with hooves.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bruceski posted:

Doubling?! That's more than I ever dreamed.

They said it may end up as slightly less than double, but double is the goal they’re shooting for.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

frontlines is probably one of the least stressful pvp modes i've ever played. roll up a dancer and just mash your buttons on whoever is the first enemy you see, 10 minutes later you get 1000 wolf marks for the daily + however much you get as the bonus (you do get more for winning, but as your PvP grand company rank goes up you get more also, i think i'm up to like 750 per game even on a loss)

garo stuff is like, 18-20k for a whole set? if i remember right?

if you do one pvp daily every day from now until the patch day you'll have enough or close to it. it's very easy.

you can even queue up as a class that needs levels, and then switch to whatever class you want when you get inside. the class you queue as is the one that gets the exp. and it's a lot!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
If I'm remembering right, there were non-dyable versions of the GARO gear available at the Gold Saucer, too. I recall grabbing the ranged DPS and healer headpieces once, because they were pretty, before I got the gumption to actually go PvP and earn the proper ones. Maybe they'll add those back, too?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, 18k for a full set including weapon, if the various wikis are to be believed.

Meanwhile I'm probably going to be using my stockpiled Wolf Marks on getting a bunch of weapons I've wanted for ages. I can't believe it's getting a rerun!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think you needed to do some part of the pvp quests to have access to the gold saucer versions. i started the game like right as garo was ending the first time and was not able to get anything from gs

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

Look at this guy who's never reached BH5

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my favorite things to do in frontlines are either go Warrior and use their wide breadth of crowd control tools to just pick and choose a single person whose life will end every 30ish seconds, or go sage and pocket a couple people who gets BH1/2 early, daisy chaining assists until we're both and unstoppable killing unit

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

FeatherFloat posted:

If I'm remembering right, there were non-dyable versions of the GARO gear available at the Gold Saucer, too. I recall grabbing the ranged DPS and healer headpieces once, because they were pretty, before I got the gumption to actually go PvP and earn the proper ones. Maybe they'll add those back, too?

If I remember right, the Gold Saucer items were pretty expensive in terms of MGP needed, compared to what you'd need in wolf marks for a particular piece.

When they announced the event was finally ending the first time, I buckled down to get the Feast wins I needed to finally finish the mounts and that was a bit of a lovely grind.

I always feel bad that I kind of suck at Frontlines. Like, I can't figure out how people can survive long enough to get battle highs and rack up a dozen or more kills. If I'm too careful, I never hit anything and if I'm too aggressive I immediately get murdered. I stick with the group but the group scatters and abandons me the moment I start attacking.

But I've gotten two wins today already... maybe I can do two more and get my next piece of Seal Rock achievement gear?

acumen posted:

I don't think I've ever managed BH1, let alone 5.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FuturePastNow posted:

Not true at all! But at the same time

If no one told you the people you're fighting in Frontlines were other players, would it be distinguishable from some goofy minigame? Probably not. It's very chill.

But yeah goons and I dragged Immortal Flames to victory constantly back in the Heavensward days when they, rightfully, had a reputation for being losers. You can indeed make a difference.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/snackoon/status/1510013342416613377?s=20&t=8ObLjyRrjyLr0igYZb9CFA

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HackensackBackpack posted:

If I remember right, the Gold Saucer items were pretty expensive in terms of MGP needed, compared to what you'd need in wolf marks for a particular piece.

When they announced the event was finally ending the first time, I buckled down to get the Feast wins I needed to finally finish the mounts and that was a bit of a lovely grind.

I always feel bad that I kind of suck at Frontlines. Like, I can't figure out how people can survive long enough to get battle highs and rack up a dozen or more kills. If I'm too careful, I never hit anything and if I'm too aggressive I immediately get murdered. I stick with the group but the group scatters and abandons me the moment I start attacking.

But I've gotten two wins today already... maybe I can do two more and get my next piece of Seal Rock achievement gear?

I don't think I've ever managed BH1, let alone 5.

Assuming you are playing a melee of some kind, the answer is poke from range, don't dive in alone, don't stick around in the clump of chumps.

Also, play a ninja or dragoon. Reaper's burst sucks, sam can't burst on it's own because everyone and their mother are going to just walk out of your cast times if they aren't stunned/bound, and monk has no poke. Monks certainly fine and good once you get a sense of when you can engage and disengage and aren't dead weight like samurais and reapers. Ninja and dragoon both have excellent ranged, evasion, and burst options. Nin in particular can do stupid stuff like smite > bunshin'd aeolian edge > assassinate and dump 8kish potency on some poor sap in the span of a gcd. Nin also has a ranged aoe which is a big help for racking up assists.

But honestly, not much point in trying to :gitgud: right now because everyone is getting their junk changed in 2 weeks anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

poo poo should have looked closer at the wolf mark stuff just found the GNB spiked club I've been looking for.

I think I got like 5 glam plates dedicated solely to GNB now. Love my coats and jackets.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Frontline is an unpleasant and confusing haze, like being lost in a hospital, but you have basically no influence on the outcome so you can just enter a disassociative state and leave with some wolf marks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

acumen posted:

And probably never will! But I also see many Ninjas and Summoners who get 40+ kills and still end up on the 3rd place team because you can't carry 23 people no matter what.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've won one Frontline match out of the 15 or so I've played, and it's hard not to feel like I'm a jinx or somehow loving my team over, even though I appear to be playing adequately (sticking with the group, getting a fair number of assists a match and a KO or two, dying a few times a match but not constantly). I'm not good at it, but I can't be that bad at it, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Every time I play Frontlines, Maelstrom wins unless I'm on Maelstrom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Assuming you are playing a melee of some kind, the answer is poke from range, don't dive in alone, don't stick around in the clump of chumps.

Also, play a ninja or dragoon. Reaper's burst sucks, sam can't burst on it's own because everyone and their mother are going to just walk out of your cast times if they aren't stunned/bound, and monk has no poke. Monks certainly fine and good once you get a sense of when you can engage and disengage and aren't dead weight like samurais and reapers. Ninja and dragoon both have excellent ranged, evasion, and burst options. Nin in particular can do stupid stuff like smite > bunshin'd aeolian edge > assassinate and dump 8kish potency on some poor sap in the span of a gcd. Nin also has a ranged aoe which is a big help for racking up assists.

But honestly, not much point in trying to :gitgud: right now because everyone is getting their junk changed in 2 weeks anyway.

I've been going in as MCH :blastu: and maybe it's not the best, but these are good points. Something to consider when the next system launches.

I'm just hoping to rack up the last of the wins for the achievement I'm chasing today, since I noticed I was close. Two wins in a row got my hopes up. Four third place finishes in a row after that. :bang:

Waffleman_ posted:

Every time I play Frontlines, Maelstrom wins unless I'm on Maelstrom

:hmmyes:

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 2, 2022