Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Vietnom nom nom posted:

It should be noted that the pay rise coincided with announcements of large cash infusions from the West, I'm almost certain there's some correlation there.
For sure, it just seems like it'd be hard to sustain for more than a short period of time even so, unless the West is going to continue to hand over fat stacks of cash in addition to the supplies and weapons.

edit: an equivalent ratio between soldier salary and median salary for the country would translate to soldiers in the US making 250k+/year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

The Russian military knows who did it. The denial is for propaganda purposes with the Russian public.

But do they? Unlike western nations, we already know that in Putin's Empire the army is one of the lowest tiers of the system. Putin or his security apparatus ordering a false flag attack that the army is unaware of isn't completely out of question.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

There's no way to reliably say what Ukranian currency is actually worth because it is going to depend enormously on the end-conditions of the war.

They live in a free country and can exchange it into USD at the market rate.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

On the ICRC's efforts to help evacuations - a reporter on the ground says they didn't really do much. And he's not happy about it.
https://twitter.com/v_solohub/status/1509955261691314178?s=20&t=URNfmjVD86BhS3JBZjNTOg
https://twitter.com/v_solohub/status/1509958630434562051?s=20&t=URNfmjVD86BhS3JBZjNTOg
Note - said reporter was on the ground in Zaporizhya yesterday
https://twitter.com/v_solohub/status/1509760450233348106?s=20&t=URNfmjVD86BhS3JBZjNTOg

Edited for clarity bc I typed like an idiot

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

False flag doesn't make any sense at this point, Putin doesn't need consent from anyone to continue or even escalate the war. If people in Moscow are getting arrested for holding up blank signs, there's nothing that needs to be "sold" to the populace. And the oligarchs clearly don't have any say or Russia wouldn't have stepped on an economic landmine of biblical proportions.

Lot's of things are possible but I think Occam's Razor wins again here, 2 Ukrainian Hind's managed to sneak under the radar over a spectacular amount of hostile terrain and attack a piece of critical infrastructure. Probably one of the greatest "best bang for your buck" hits in a war already historic for the defenders maximizing their target/cost ratio.

Full mobilization is still a thing that used to be a bridge too far.

But I agree with the Occam's Razor here. The Ukrainian recon found out that there isn't real air surveillance, or there was one that could be spoofed, so they went for it. And the rest is as I mentioned, of course Ukraine denies it. There is no benefit of saying it was them, really.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

But do they? We already know that in Putin's Empire the army is one of the lowest tiers of the system. Putin or his security apparatus ordering a false flag attack that the army is unaware of isn't completely out of question.

It doesn't make sense as a false flag. It's of minimal emotional impact and high strategic impact. Footage shows the attackers managed to hit about 50% of the fuel containers which is actually pretty impressive for a couple of volleys. Nothing about it feels fake.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They live in a free country and can exchange it into USD at the market rate.

I think you'll find that a country that is under martial law temporarily does not count as 'free', also there are probably few opportunities to take a trip to the ATM while on the frontline.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Der Kyhe posted:

Full mobilization is still a thing that used to be a bridge too far.

But I agree with the Occam's Razor here. The Ukrainian recon found out that there isn't real air surveillance, or there was one that could be spoofed, so they went for it. And the rest is as I mentioned, of course Ukraine denies it. There is no benefit of saying it was them, really.

There's hardly no benefit. A significant counterstrike into Russia itself is the definition of a morale-raising maneuver. They have been perfectly happy to do so before, such as in the case of the landing ship.

It's not like the Russian public is getting Ukrainian news feeds. They can't even get their own anymore.

I'm going with it was the Ghost of Kyiv, ejecting behind enemy lines, freeing prisoners and stealing gunships. "Try and sell *this* oil, Vova!" *fires rockets*

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nyetworktv/status/1509983446856355844

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Didn't an ammo dump in Belgorod explode a few days ago, and get blamed on an accident? Maybe the goal with Ukraine not confirming anything isn't to make anyone question if they hit the fuel, but make them wonder if they hit the ammo too.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I think you'll find that a country that is under martial law temporarily does not count as 'free', also there are probably few opportunities to take a trip to the ATM while on the frontline.
What are you talking about? Why would you go to an ATM to exchange money in a world with phones and banking apps? Which any UKR soldier can do because their banks aren’t sanctioned and they’re not legally barred by their own government from exchanging currency - it’s that kind of free country.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Bremen posted:

Didn't an ammo dump in Belgorod explode a few days ago, and get blamed on an accident? Maybe the goal with Ukraine not confirming anything isn't to make anyone question if they hit the fuel, but make them wonder if they hit the ammo too.

Russian MoD, "Who poo poo MY pants?!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hi I just wanted to say my wife's cousin successfully landed in Frankfurt to dodge russian conscription and got on a plane to here, and it's the first time I've felt happy in weeks. Also terrified of being surrogate dad to a college teen ripped from his home when I'm a mess below 30 that can barely corral cats, but them's the breaks I guess. Whatever happens I get to die knowing I did one good thing.

ps lmao at the politics forums switcheroo

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Bremen posted:

Didn't an ammo dump in Belgorad explode a few days ago, and get blamed on an accident? Maybe the goal with Ukraine not confirming anything isn't to make anyone question if they hit the fuel, but make them wonder if they hit the ammo too.

Good point, while I can understand ancient ammo going off due to incompetence, that very well could have been a Ukrainian strike as well.

Ukraine needs to do this to win.... but the concern of escalated retaliatory strikes is very real. Unfortunately Ukraine doesn't have a choice but to keep fighting regardless of how Russia escalates.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mobby_6kl posted:

There's a Perun video on the role of reservists & irregulars that dropped earlier today. I haven't seen it mentioned here or watched it fully myself yet, but his previous ones have been very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fZQmMZ4kY

poo poo that's a good amount for Ukraine, though of course there's not a high enough number for getting shot at, but at least they / the families would be able to take care of themselves

It's significantly more than what I made as a Second Lieutenant a couple decades ago (not accounting for inflation, but still).

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Bremen posted:

To be fair I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a lost Russian pilot mistaking it for unkranian territory. It’s mad but *gestures around broadly*

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Bremen posted:

"Oh, the Moscow command is going to audit *my* armory? Let me just slip out and inform my officers"

And what ensues is a huge explosion so that there is no idea on what was actually left of the stuff, besides the USSR era anti-tank mines no-one bought.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bremen posted:

I think that one was attributed to a Ukrainian SS-21 SRBM.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Mariupol managed to hold until the window for russia to even potentially take the whole of Ukraine, to win the war, was past resolution and the full extent of the russian offensive was .. resolved? What was that word for "can't project forwards anymore, reached the extent of the offensive capacity?" Because that happened over the whole length of time the russians couldn't take the city or use those engaged forces to do anything to shore up their other fronts.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. but this (as of now) is Ukraine's doolittle raid, unless russia is really that much of paper tiger ghost army. i doubt they will be able to pull it off again. least in that area.

Once Operation Tractorwheel is complete Moscow will be within range of Ukrainian bombing raids.

KitConstantine posted:

Current status around Kyiv, including settlements reported re-captured today:
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1509862876433235972?s=20&t=Kp5wCddV77A_PRdo1WfgMQ

gently caress, they actually did it. It’s going to be an interesting few days while we find out just how much of their army Russia left behind. I guess most got out but on the other hand with the problems Russia had moving stuff *into* that area I have a hard time believing they were able to get it all out smoothly and without any 40 mike convoys getting bogged.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"Culminated"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ukraine refusing to confirm or deny that they blew up that refinery inside Russia is the funniest psyops of the war thus far imo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Have you heard of online banking?

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Jst0rm posted:

how is zspam doing? Now that russia is taking a direct attack shouldn't they surrender to save lives? Wasnt that the position you took with ukraine?

They're doing well, actually. Since it's spring now, many of them have been spending more time outside in the nature, which is great. Online spaces can turn into a bit of an echo chamber sometimes, and it's easy to get poisoned by irony and nihilism if you're not careful.

Anyway, in light of the developments during the past month, they have reassessed their previous assumptions, done some introspection, taken some time to educate themselves about other viewpoints, and no longer blame the U.S. and Ukrainian nazis for everything. They're not even reposting Russian propaganda verbatim anymore.

I'm really happy to see them turn their course around. I think this thread tends to be a little bit one-sidedly pro-Ukrainian, which is fine, but if you want to see some more even-handed, thoughtful, well-articulated takes on things, the C-Spam thread is a good read.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Ynglaur posted:

"Culminated"

That's it. The entire offensive on all fronts culminated over the length of time russia could not take Mariupol. Which makes me want to know how much effort, deployment support, and soldier's lives were spent trying to resolve the issue of taking the city. And I think a lot of postgame commentary should dig into how much that contributed to the absolute implosion of the whole thing, or when anyone involved realized it was going tits up.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Omon Ra posted:

They're doing well, actually. Since it's spring now, many of them have been spending more time outside in the nature, which is great. Online spaces can turn into a bit of an echo chamber sometimes, and it's easy to get poisoned by irony and nihilism if you're not careful.

Anyway, in light of the developments during the past month, they have reassessed their previous assumptions, done some introspection, taken some time to educate themselves about other viewpoints, and no longer blame the U.S. and Ukrainian nazis for everything. They're not even reposting Russian propaganda verbatim anymore.

I'm really happy to see them turn their course around. I think this thread tends to be a little bit one-sidedly pro-Ukrainian, which is fine, but if you want to see some more even-handed, thoughtful, well-articulated takes on things, the C-Spam thread is a good read.

April fools?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, since there is no cease fire in future, it will be interesting to see this stuff:

A)Putin manages to force Lukashenko to do something that most likely backfires massively
B)How well that move from Kiev to Eastern Ukraine works, and how many mutinies and escapes we hear off
C) If that amphibious assault by the Navy actually happens, to show that the Navy isn't a collection of chucklefucks
D) How WW1 style the eastern front gets. Its going to be a loving grinder.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrYenko posted:

I think that one was attributed to a Ukrainian SS-21 SRBM.

Do we have any footage of a strike happening there? It could very well be a lovely mothballed ammo accident.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do we have any footage of a strike happening there? It could very well be a lovely mothballed ammo accident.

I think that's the one the Russians initially claimed was Ukraine then later said it was human error. I don't think Ukraine ever claimed it so an accident seems most likely.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Der Kyhe posted:

But do they? Unlike western nations, we already know that in Putin's Empire the army is one of the lowest tiers of the system. Putin or his security apparatus ordering a false flag attack that the army is unaware of isn't completely out of question.

It would be very stupid for Putin to do this and assumes a degree of coordination and loyalty that Russia hasn't demonstrated so far. Someone would have leaked already, unless Putin was just killing entire squads and then having those squads killers killed to cover his tracks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes there's security cam footage of the rockets hitting and the helicopters in the background. Phone posting so I can't find it, but check this morning posts.

freeasinbeer posted:

April fools?
That's how it read to me :v:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

GTO posted:

This thread moves so fast and the search sucks... what is the deal with a fuel depot in Russia being blown up?

Well apparently two helicopters attacked the fuel depots, people assumed it was Ukrainians, Ukrainians however didn't take credit and seemed unsure themselves.

Now there can be several reasons for that, it could have been a false flag perpetrated by Russia to give them further propaganda points, this is unlikely due to the target being strategic with no deaths. It could have been carried out by elements within the Ukrainian military acting clandestinely without direction of their superiors. It could have been elements within the Russian military who have gone rogue and are sabotaging supply depots that are supplying the war. It could be a third party nation seeking to stoke hostilities even further by making strategic attacks that would cause further reprisals. It could be aliens who were having an extra-dimensional fight who briefly blipped into this reality sending forth a projectile which destroyed the depot purely by chance. It could be a very irate architect who strongly objected to the design of the depot who happened to have access to a military attack helicopter.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 1, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes there's security cam footage of the rockets hitting and the helicopters in the background. Phone posting so I can't find it, but check this morning posts.

We're talking about the ammunition warehouse explosion a few nights ago.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

To be fair I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a lost Russian pilot mistaking it for unkranian territory. It’s mad but *gestures around broadly*

Well...

(Not sure it's actually the same town. Could also be a NATO pilot confusing it with Belgrade!)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Great read on this thread.

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1509701303391326210

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Xachariah posted:

Well apparently two helicopters attacked the fuel depots, people assumed it was Ukrainians, Ukrainians however didn't take credit and seemed unsure themselves.

Now there can be several reasons for that, it could have been a false flag perpetrated by Russia to give them further propaganda points, this is unlikely due to the target being strategic with no deaths. It could have been carried out by elements within the Ukrainian military acting clandestinely without direction of their superiors. It could have been elements within the Russian military who have gone rogue and are sabotaging supply depots that are supplying the war. It could be a third party nation seeking to stroke hostilities even further by making strategic attacks that would cause further reprisals. It could be aliens who were having an extra-dimensional fight who briefly blipped into this reality sending forth a projectile which destroyed the depot purely by chance. It could be a very irate architect who strongly objected to the design of the depot who happened to have access to a military attack helicopter.

No mention of the pro Ukrainian BNR separatists? :tinfoil:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

First message from family in Chernihiv is 4 weeks? 5 weeks? I've lost count.
"Hello. Alive. No light, water or communication. Internet is rare and weak. It's quiet now, no bombs. It seems troops [Russians] are withdrawing from us."

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
There's a lot of infowar type stuff going on in Belgorod, probably Ukrainian in origin but it's pretty interesting. A few days ago there was a faked letter saying civilians were advised to evacuate, then yesterday they did a push SMS that air strikes were imminent which a lot of pro-russian accounts said was fake and to ignore it:

source

I wonder what the population there must be thinking. They're constantly seeing messages saying attacks are imminent and to evacuate then officials are saying it's fake and to ignore it, then an ammo store explodes and a couple helicopters wander over the border and explode the fuel depot.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

The Russian military knows who did it. The denial is for propaganda purposes with the Russian public.

Except the Russians aren't denying it. It was the top story on all state media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Well...

(Not sure it's actually the same town. Could also be a NATO pilot confusing it with Belgrade!)

During the WW2 the Finns left their great metropolitan city of Viipuri in the 40's for the enemy that was USSR. While the citizens were evacuated, what the USSR did for that city, it was the last town Вы́борг before the Iron Curtain. Everything we the Finns, the Swedish and Karelian people was forced to abandon, was for the sake of the USSR.

What are the only relevant buildings left in that city you might say? The one Finns and Swedes ever build. That land grab also made the Saimaa Channel part of the Russian empire.

If Japan is pissed of because of the Russians, we also have some ideas if the Russian kleptocracy dies.