Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If you're truly dedicated, you cut out all the time travel scenes piecemeal and splice them in where they belong chronologically. If that means you're watching two movies at once for a few minutes, then so be it.

Also all the flashbacks and timeskips, so e.g. the opening of GOTG goes before Captain Marvel.

Everything in Loki that takes place in the TVA is just playing on loop the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Codependent Poster posted:

I think being Steven also might have saved him from Arthur in the museum when he judges him. Steven is a good person, while Marc very much isn't.

I thought it was because Steven is literally immortal/protected by Khonshu and Ammit had no idea what to do with that

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

I thought it was because Steven is literally immortal/protected by Khonshu and Ammit had no idea what to do with that

I think the "two/three minds/souls" thing makes more sense. I think Ammit is likely considerably more powerful than Khonshu. If it had just been Marc/Khonshu, she'd have eaten them. But because Steven is in there too his goodness with their evil/ruthlessness confuses her into retreat. Hence "There is chaos in you." Which is another reason the bad guy let him go then and just sicced a jackel-mummy on him later. He didn't want to get too near that chaos.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's funny, for months since we'd first seen the suit I'd always felt like it looked too busy and cluttered, but now after watching the episode I'm like...oh. It's a mummy. Obviously it's supposed to look like a mummy, I don't know why I didn't see it before. Love it, no notes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone posted:

I think Ammit is likely considerably more powerful than Khonshu

I'm not too hot on my Egyptian mythology but afaik Khonshu is considered more important than Ammit

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, the mythology is definitely going to be surface level thin, here. Ammit is in no way a god in actual mythology*, just a monster that serves the underworld gods like Anubis or Osiris. It'd be like calling Cerberus a god.

*Wikipedia right now refers to her as a "demoness or goddess"...but I'm nearly certain that some rando just edited this into the entry after watching this episode.

Set or Apep make way more sense for the role that they've put onto Ammit here. At bare minimum, even Anubis would actually make more sense as the one who's actually doing the heart judgment scales thingy.

But they're obviously going to go the whole "the mythology you knew is wrong, here's how it really is in the MCU" route here. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily. The Thor movies wouldn't exist if they were doing accurate mythology.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Xealot posted:

Definitely a question I have. People kept jumping all over the trailers because of "Oscar Isaac's terrible accent," but I've absolutely met British people who sound like this. Is it just jarring to hear it come out of this handsome Guatemalan man, or is my ear for accents that bad?

And I didn't assume "laters gators" was supposed to be some kind of British phrasing, just something idiosyncratic Steven said. That's another random critique I've heard online, "Britons never say that." Who claimed that they did?

Laters gators is great as a weird sign-off for a British dork, I love it. I'd say the accent is actually really good, it's just jarring having this trembly high pitched voice coming from Oscar Isaac. Got some real Frank Spencer vibes: https://youtu.be/qlwQVElQcIk

I do think they lean too hard on the British swears (cos they get past the censors) and not having normal ones too. It's weird to me to hear so many bloody bollocking buggers without a few shits and fucks thrown in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steven's manager at the museum should've called him a daft prick or a thick oval office at least a dozen times.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

XboxPants posted:

Ethan Hawke is doing fantastic with his role, he really seemed like he was getting impatient and annoyed with Stephen not giving him the scarab.

If you have access to it, watch "The Good Lord Bird". Ethan Hawke is phenomenal as John Brown. I've liked him as an actor for a while, but I didn't realize how good he really was until seeing him in that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you have access to it, watch "The Good Lord Bird". Ethan Hawke is phenomenal as John Brown. I've liked him as an actor for a while, but I didn't realize how good he really was until seeing him in that.

He's also absolutely incredible in Before Sunrise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Necrothatcher posted:

He's also absolutely incredible in Before Sunrise.

That whole trilogy is fantastic

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Good Lord Bird and the Before trilogy are fantastic, I'd also add First Reformed. Maybe my favourite film of the last few years.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oscar Isaac & Ethan Hawke acting the BAJEEZUS out of a doo doo script. This first episode felt like a really interesting slog that was straining through the first 30 minutes to get anywhere. Black Panther trash tier level CGI, these monsters look like the cover of a GFX card box from 2002. I will keep watching but in terms of sitting on my couch to enjoy a cool marvel show it was very disorienting and sad. At the end of episode one I just feel really bad for Steven, and I have nothing to connect me to anything else that’s going on.

All the costume effects did make me yearn for a modern HBOMax live action Spawn, tho, so now I’m sad we don’t also get that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bust Rodd posted:

I just feel really bad for Steven

Yes that was the point

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Later gators is going to be a Sobek reference somewhere

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BrianWilly posted:

It's funny, for months since we'd first seen the suit I'd always felt like it looked too busy and cluttered, but now after watching the episode I'm like...oh. It's a mummy. Obviously it's supposed to look like a mummy, I don't know why I didn't see it before. Love it, no notes.

It makes me think of this thing from a decade or so ago where this writer Rick Remender was doing a run on Punisher and he went in various crazy, over-the-top comic book directions with the character. Namely, he created a status quo where the Punisher was chopped up and resurrected as a Frankenstein's monster referred to as Frankencastle. It was great stuff, but a lot of people hated it on principle because the Punisher is supposed to be gritty and down-to-earth (note: a gritty and down-to-earth Punisher was also being released at this time).

Remender then did a comedy one-shot What If Venom Possessed Deadpool, which included a scene that parodied the Frankencastle backlash. The character design that was being railed on? "Mummy Moon Knight."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Steven is the vegan

I must have missed that part at the start as I was watching on my laptop during slow times at work and the audio was a bit crap. I hope we get a bit where Marc has to endure Donna without murdering her.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The end credits are usually cool in the Marvel TV shows, but I especially enjoyed this one.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh, the mythology is definitely going to be surface level thin, here. Ammit is in no way a god in actual mythology*, just a monster that serves the underworld gods like Anubis or Osiris. It'd be like calling Cerberus a god.

*Wikipedia right now refers to her as a "demoness or goddess"...but I'm nearly certain that some rando just edited this into the entry after watching this episode.

Set or Apep make way more sense for the role that they've put onto Ammit here. At bare minimum, even Anubis would actually make more sense as the one who's actually doing the heart judgment scales thingy.

But they're obviously going to go the whole "the mythology you knew is wrong, here's how it really is in the MCU" route here. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily. The Thor movies wouldn't exist if they were doing accurate mythology.

Well, to nitpick, that throwaway line about mummification was totally wrong too. They should've gotten Bob Brier to consult. Everything would be insanely pedantically correct. (He's the Egyptologist who's actually mummified a corpse in the modern era. Everyone gets the brain hook wrong.)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Gattaca is still my favorite Ethan Hawke movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll5qiWa6YDk

This scene always hit me in the gut then, and still does today.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Moon Knight is getting review bombed on IMDB for mentioning the Armenian genocide. Guess what? All the reviewers are using broken English.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lammasu posted:

Moon Knight is getting review bombed on IMDB for mentioning the Armenian genocide. Guess what? All the reviewers are using broken English.

Wasn't seeing a lot of reviews like this. There were a few "woke disney" ones because chuds are feuding with Disney at the moment.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kazmeyer posted:

Well, to nitpick, that throwaway line about mummification was totally wrong too. They should've gotten Bob Brier to consult. Everything would be insanely pedantically correct. (He's the Egyptologist who's actually mummified a corpse in the modern era. Everyone gets the brain hook wrong.)

I’m sorry, he did what?

To Google!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The World War Two Youtube channel has been doing a weekly review of the events of WWII. For April 1st they did something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMzW6KFoI7g

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

If you're truly dedicated, you cut out all the time travel scenes piecemeal and splice them in where they belong chronologically. If that means you're watching two movies at once for a few minutes, then so be it.

Also all the flashbacks and timeskips, so e.g. the opening of GOTG goes before Captain Marvel.

Everything in Loki that takes place in the TVA is just playing on loop the whole time.

someone has actually done this with all the movies up through endgame and it's pretty neat, i have browsed through this mega cut periodically

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Semi-annoyed/bummed that episode 2 is probably going to rehashing all the events of episode 1 but filling in all the Mark bits. It’s just so formulaic at this point, these Memento style time shifts were very novel when movies started using them 20 years ago but nowadays it feels VERY on rails and paint by numbers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

Semi-annoyed/bummed that episode 2 is probably going to rehashing all the events of episode 1 but filling in all the Mark bits. It’s just so formulaic at this point, these Memento style time shifts were very novel when movies started using them 20 years ago but nowadays it feels VERY on rails and paint by numbers.

If they do do that (which idk if there's any real need) I can't imagine it being more than 5-10 minutes of the episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Personally I DO NOT think there is a need, but if they don’t go back and fill in all the “Mark Surrender your body!” sequences to show off the cool action they teased in the pilot then the younger and more agitated fans will feel cheated. If they completely ignored this skips and just powered through and left it up to more imaginative ends I would be VERY impressed, but that’s not how Disney has been writing these shows.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Getting mad at episodes I made up in my head

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't see any point in filling in the blackouts, they served their narrative purpose and the end of the episode promised plenty of future action with Marc in control.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

McSpanky posted:

I don't see any point in filling in the blackouts, they served their narrative purpose and the end of the episode promised plenty of future action with Marc in control.

Yeah the only real reason for it would be to put in an exposition dump when Marc is going after Kevin Bacon's gang.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rarity posted:

Getting mad at episodes I made up in my head

Bust Rodd!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All I’m saying is I’ll be completely loving shocked if that’s the last time we see the Cupcake Van or never see what dislocates Mark/Steven’s Jaw (obviously he jumped out of a 3rd story window of a castle in the Swiss Alps)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Are we gonna see what happens when marc finds a stranger in the alps?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The only flashback I really care to see is how Steven's life got constructed.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNnKAk79wws

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

is 0:16 monica rambeau or some other glowing lady i don't recognize?

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 2, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s the Illuminati base/British Museum in the background

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

eke out posted:

is 0:16 monica rambeau or some other glowing lady i don't recognize?

It's a version of either Monica or Maria who became Captain Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Moon Knight is getting review bombed because Kevin Bacon said the word "Armenia"