Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Inner Light posted:

Tbh I had trouble understanding a significant portion of that whole post, felt like I was smelling burnt toast
It feels like the real estate version of the turbo encabulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Next goal is to get the consultant & realtor to connect via phone so the realtor can do a bullshit test. I've been out of it long enough I can't make a slightly inaccurate statement to weed out a yes-man on the lending side.

You seem to have a lot of confidence in your agent.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Talked to 2 realtors at the beginning of this process and I just dropped one of them. They seem nice but all they can seem to come up with are either too expensive, too old (I explicitly told them not to go past a certain age and they sent me stuff from the 20’s anyways), or in neighborhoods I know for a fact have problems with gang shootings.

The other guy seems cool though and has sent me some surprisingly good options for my price range. Touring some of the better options tomorrow! :toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Inner Light posted:

Tbh I had trouble understanding a significant portion of that whole post, felt like I was smelling burnt toast

Was trying to figure out how to say this tactfully.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

spwrozek posted:

Tarps are... a kind of roof.
Tarp house was listed at $599k, currently they're going into a final bidding round starting at $775k, cash offers preferred. Lol, lmao

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Residency Evil posted:

Was trying to figure out how to say this tactfully.

I was extremely confused myself and laughed in relief when I saw the other responses.

I told my husband I was reading this thread then started reading the post out loud and he asked, quote, "what the gently caress are you reading?"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I was extremely confused myself and laughed in relief when I saw the other responses.

I told my husband I was reading this thread then started reading the post out loud and he asked, quote, "what the gently caress are you reading?"

Look its simple. You and your agent have to narfle the sellers down to get good beans on a garthok in this market or they're going to beamglop you into next week and the next thing you know your 27 points down on your grassium sheet. Easy peasy.

Title came in clean. Waiting on appraisal next and then getting our house ready to sell. And packing, so much loving packing.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Turns out the seller's agent for the home we love is doing dual agency which is the most messed up thing I've ever heard. She can act as the buyer's and seller's agent despite the obvious conflict of interest? How messed up is that?

We're already working with a buyer's agent so we went to see it and she was talking about the release to act as a buyer's agent and we said "Oh we've got one" and she snapped like I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! As though we wasted her time after reaching out to see if we could view the house to, you know, the seller's agent.

Now the house, which had offers due on the 4th, cancelled its open house tomorrow. So if she thinks we'll put in a good offer what is stopping her from just saying "oh just accept this good offer" from someone who is using her as a buyer's agent and put in an offer today, thus hosing us over, even if our offer is better?

My guess - nothing. Fun!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Residency Evil posted:

Love still getting zillow/redfin e-mails:

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/401-S-Gaylord-St-80209/home/34125710

I'm the Che Guevara poster in the $5M house.

Computer, set an alert for when 420 S Gaylord hits the market

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Look its simple. You and your agent have to narfle the sellers down to get good beans on a garthok in this market or they're going to beamglop you into next week and the next thing you know your 27 points down on your grassium sheet. Easy peasy.

Title came in clean. Waiting on appraisal next and then getting our house ready to sell. And packing, so much loving packing.

I appreciate this

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:golfclap:

quote:

Definitely take the opportunity to get rid of as much as you can, too!

I was looking back at pictures of moving last fall and shuddered. I hope we don't have to do that again for a long, long time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

:golfclap:

Definitely take the opportunity to get rid of as much as you can, too!

I was looking back at pictures of moving last fall and shuddered. I hope we don't have to do that again for a long, long time.

Having started the process I am 100% going in on fewer but nicer items in the future. I have so many lovely cheap tools I bought to do little jobs around the house that Ive never used since. Or like outdoor patio furniture that was hand me down and mostly trashed at this point. Just a lot of poo poo that honestly needs tossed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Inspection done. A few problems of various severity, the big one being that the roof desperately needs to be completely replaced. The sellers seem to be open to extending a closing credit to cover the costs of that and anything else that comes up so long as I actually buy the house agree to the rent back, which is good if they want to sell it to me because no way I'm replacing the roof out of pocket. At least the electric, heating, and plumbing all seem to be in good shape.

Also, got some info on the background of the house. Place used to be a nunnery! Which explains the weird side room (my mom was betting it used to be a chapel and wins her bet) and the stained glass windows. In hindsight the stained glass windows should have been a dead giveaway.

Planning on talking to the attorney for a while again Monday to make sure I understand everything. PSA is due to be signed Tuesday, apparently one week from offer accepted to PSA is the norm? Which seems... absolutely crazy for me, if you're supposed to have the inspection and all the negotiations on top of this huge pile of paperwork done before that, when you're not even directly interacting with them. The whole process takes forever and yet the part where you'd want the least experienced people to make sure they're doing everything right is literally the shortest period and everyone is rushing rushing rushing, seems hosed up.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 2, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Inspection done. A few problems of various severity, the big one being that the roof desperately needs to be completely replaced. The sellers seem to be open to extending a closing credit to cover the costs of that and anything else that comes up so long as I actually buy the house agree to the rent back, which is good if they want to sell it to me because no way I'm replacing the roof out of pocket. At least the electric, heating, and plumbing all seem to be in good shape.

Also, got some info on the background of the house. Place used to be a nunnery! Which explains the weird side room (my mom was betting it used to be a chapel and wins her bet) and the stained glass windows. In hindsight the stained glass windows should have been a dead giveaway.

Planning on talking to the attorney for a while again Monday to make sure I understand everything. PSA is due to be signed Tuesday, apparently one week from offer accepted to PSA is the norm? Which seems... absolutely crazy for me, if you're supposed to have the inspection and all the negotiations on top of this huge pile of paperwork done before that, when you're not even directly interacting with them. The whole process takes forever and yet the part where you'd want the least experienced people to make sure they're doing everything right is literally the shortest period and everyone is rushing rushing rushing, seems hosed up.

The psa is basically your term sheet. That's like page 1 of the thousands of pages. On there it will spell out the contingencies you agreed to in your offer. I assume, read every single word that you sign.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

TV over a fireplace is the bane of any Zillow listing :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Speaking of fireplaces: Why do so many houses have fireplaces and yet none of them are working fireplaces, its downright depressing. I love lighting poo poo on fire, I used to use my parents fireplace all the time. If people just don't use them or whatever, why even have them at all?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Speaking of fireplaces: Why do so many houses have fireplaces and yet none of them are working fireplaces, its downright depressing. I love lighting poo poo on fire, I used to use my parents fireplace all the time. If people just don't use them or whatever, why even have them at all?

A chimney needs to be cleaned and maintained. If any of that hasn't been done in a while, or something breaks, you can't safely use the fireplace and it isn't great for heating. It costs money to remove a fireplace/chimney, easier just to not use it.

Most houses of a certain age were built with them, it's not like you can just never buy a house with a fireplace unless you're having a new one built.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

BonerGhost posted:

A chimney needs to be cleaned and maintained. If any of that hasn't been done in a while, or something breaks, you can't safely use the fireplace and it isn't great for heating. It costs money to remove a fireplace/chimney, easier just to not use it.

Most houses of a certain age were built with them, it's not like you can just never buy a house with a fireplace unless you're having a new one built.
Yeah, see the rise of ventless gas fireplace. Have your fire without worrying about having oxygen to breathemaintaining a chimney.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Bathtub question-

I have a small chip in the whirlpool tub we never use because it has a small enamel chip in it. Is there a recommended enamel repair or epoxy kit I could use on it?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Bathtub question-

I have a small chip in the whirlpool tub we never use because it has a small enamel chip in it. Is there a recommended enamel repair or epoxy kit I could use on it?

Had something similar a few years ago, just bought whatever was in stock at LowesDepot and it worked fine, though the color wasn't a match.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah, in my area, all sorts of garbage has a fireplace and chimney cause they were built in like the 20s and 30s. We moved on from those for a reason, but they’re a pain to deal with and get rid of, so just ignore it.

Is there a recommended way to block off the pit and chimney, or just leave it alone? I recall bats being a problem sometimes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheWevel posted:

Bathtub question-

You can buy marine epoxy at a hardware store, that's probably what you should use. Smear it in and flatten it out with a popsicle stick

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, in my area, all sorts of garbage has a fireplace and chimney cause they were built in like the 20s and 30s. We moved on from those for a reason, but they’re a pain to deal with and get rid of, so just ignore it.

Is there a recommended way to block off the pit and chimney, or just leave it alone? I recall bats being a problem sometimes.

If you block the chimney hire an actual mason / chimney dude to do it. They will know how to handle it. They're all over the area here.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BonerGhost posted:

There is also the fact that a lot of fireplaces were installed on older homes that were more drafty, but if you replace windows and doors and do some air sealing, they might not draw as well or at all, especially if they are on an exterior wall.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 2, 2022

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

GlyphGryph posted:

What is a buyers agent actually supposed to do? I sort of feel like mine could be replaced by a machine and nothing of value would be lost at this point, literally all they do is unlock doors and provide me with the forms to fill out to make an offer. Maybe their value is supposed to come after an offer is accepted and that's fine, but I feel like they should be able to, I dunno... give me some sort of information that might be useful in helping to decide whether I should buy a specific home and what kind of offer I should be making?

Dump them immediately, you need to find a better agent. A good one will understand the market, show you places that tick boxes for you (sometimes even before it's officially on the market), how to make appealing offers and most importantly they know what to watch out for and they're your advocate in the process so you don't get screwed.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

My house has 6 fireplaces because it was built in 1913 and people used them for heat. They are "working" in the sense that the flues are not blocked. But chimneys are very expensive to maintain, so I doubt any of these have been used in decades and every house contract here has clauses that the chimney/fireplaces convey as is. And even if you don't use your fireplace (or even block it!) you still need to maintain it -- and hiring masons to repoint the mortar isn't cheap, and if you don't it water will infiltrate into your chimney and rot things out from the inside!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

By "block off", what do you mean? Do you mean permanently seal the fireplace? Or leave the fireplace "functional" (i.e. it could be used), but just make sure its weather sealed? For the former you need to hire a mason ($$$), for the later you need to hire a fireplace service that will come in and seal your flue ($$). Again, though, even if you block off the fireplace by bricking it in/sealing the pit, you still need to maintain the exterior chimney.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hrnmmmgmgngngnn another thing to keep in mind if I accept a place with a chimney. Good to know.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Hrnmmmgmgngngnn another thing to keep in mind if I accept a place with a chimney. Good to know.

Pretty much every building in the Boston area has a masonry chimney because the furnaces vent through it fyi (even triple deckers with no fireplaces) unless you buy a newer build but lol at those

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

For an example my old place needed a new liner and a bunch of other work to make it safe after not being maintained for years. Quotes were around $4000.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So, sellers are happy to cover credit of fixing the roof but it looks like the lenders arent willing to sign on to such a large transfer (and it will be a large one, estimates I see put at at least twice what the lenders will allow) so the deal is gonna be a no go.

Sellers dont have the money to fix it themselves without the sale, which is probably why they are selling to begin with, they cant afford to maintain the house. I dont have money to both fix the roof and still deal with the other stuff the inspection found that is important but less of an issue, and still be confident I'll have enough to deal with unpleasant hidden surprises.

So even though the house is supposedly worth enough, right now neither of us are can afford to go through with the sale. Kinda sucks!

Ah well, goodbye dreams, you probably would have been way more of a hassle than you were worth anyway, or thats what I'm going to tell myself.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If they can’t afford to fix it then I would expect more hiding that the inspection didn’t find. If you cannot afford to fix it then you are beat walking away. It sucks once an offer is accepted because you start to get invested but it is for the best in this circumstance.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, agreed on all points.

Goodbye dream/nightmare house.

At this point I think I might just decide to NOT buy a home this year, some up some more, and hope desperately that the bottom is going to drop out of the market.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 2, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, agreed on all points.

Goodbye dream/nightmare house.

At this point I think I might just decide to NOT buy a home this year, some up some more, and hope desperately that the bottom is going to drop out of the market.

They can reduce the sale price instead of giving you a credit as well. As long as the appraisal clears you can finance the replacement roof yourself through a heloc. But yeah hidden other costs could add up though the roof is going to be a big one that is most commonly deferred.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I know my realtor will know the answer to this, but I’m stressing out and online so might as well ask here.

We’ve got an offer accepted on a house and it’s above appraisal. We said we’d pay $5k over appraisal.

What if it appraises for less than that?

Example: house listed for $350k, offered $390k.

What if that house only appraises at $350k? Can we ask the seller to reduce the price to $350k? Or would it be on us to finance the difference if our loan would allow that? Obvious answer is we’d have to pay cash to cover.

Just wondering if there’s any chance the seller will go “Welp, ok, I’ll allow you to lower your offer.”

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

nwin posted:

I know my realtor will know the answer to this, but I’m stressing out and online so might as well ask here.

We’ve got an offer accepted on a house and it’s above appraisal. We said we’d pay $5k over appraisal.

What if that house only appraises at $350k? Can we ask the seller to reduce the price to $350k? Or would it be on us to finance the difference if our loan would allow that? Obvious answer is we’d have to pay cash to cover.

Just wondering if there’s any chance the seller will go “Welp, ok, I’ll allow you to lower your offer.”

Did you waive your appraisal contingency entirely, or just to $5k under? If the answer is "yes" then you need to come up with $40k. If no, then you can go back to the seller and negotiate to anything between $40k and $5k. That could be "reduce to $355k" or it could be "reduce to $370k and we'll cover $20k". I'm not sure if any conventional financing would cover an appraisal gap.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Does your offer have a clause to cover an appraisal gap? If not then you can try to negotiate the price down or you will have to pay the extra on closing to cover the gap. If neither of those work then the deal likely will be off.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

nwin posted:

You probably have a contingency to get you out if it appraises below your offer because your lender won't lend more than the appraisal. After that it's up to negotiation I believe. Seller should know that the next people to come by would have the same issue unless they're paying cash so there should be some push for them to lower price but they may not be willing to go all the way down if it's real bad. At that point you'd put cash in for the difference.

Edit: Also unless there's something real hokey I feel like a lot of lenders and appraisers have a side discussion which ends up being "appraise the joint for exactly the offer"

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 3, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I have an appraisal contingency that I said I’d only cover $5k of the difference and nothing more. So if it appraises at 385, I’m still buying it for 390.

That’s what I was kinda thinking though-what everyone said…yeah there will be a separate negotiation if it appraises at only $350k but I don’t trust anyone in this business so I’m sure the realtors and appraisers have a side hustle going to make the numbers work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nwin posted:

Yeah I have an appraisal contingency that I said I’d only cover $5k of the difference and nothing more. So if it appraises at 385, I’m still buying it for 390.

That’s what I was kinda thinking though-what everyone said…yeah there will be a separate negotiation if it appraises at only $350k but I don’t trust anyone in this business so I’m sure the realtors and appraisers have a side hustle going to make the numbers work.

Try not to stress about it until the paperwork comes back. Easier said than done I know. Once it comes back you can look it over and make sure they used reasonable comps if it fails in some way.