Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Does Keith have a stone?

OwlFancier posted:

Kidney stone possibly.
also gall :tinsley:

e: 88 means 'hello hitler' and is used by bad people

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Pack of 16 bog rolls in Waitrose: was £6 yesterday, today £6.75. 12.5% inflation.

Fortunately, I had a £2 voucher. Should have bought it yesterday. Boo hiss. :guillotine:

(Ed: for the inquiring minds that want to know, Waitrose bog rolls are best value for money in terms of cost per metre.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

Weak. Sad.

(my monitor is on)

Turn your webcam off.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pack of 16 bog rolls in Waitrose: was £6 yesterday, today £6.75. 12.5% inflation.

Fortunately, I had a £2 voucher. Should have bought it yesterday. Boo hiss. :guillotine:

(Ed: for the inquiring minds that want to know, Waitrose bog rolls are best value for money in terms of cost per metre.)

Gonna need to see the spreadsheet (lol) workings on this.

J/k I don't use TP

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I adopted another cat today. This makes me happy.

Her name is Penny and she needed a home and is currently hiding under my reading chair in the conservatory.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I would bet money that the Costco ones beat them handily. They're seriously beefy lads.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Glad that I just navigate to bookmarked threads in the app so I'm not exposed to whatever mod foolishness is going on.

Also show cattle pics

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Don't forget the UKMT as we know it is basically the result of LF UKMT posters just moving in and taking over the Lib-Dem-tastic D&D UK thread. CSPAM is basically LF v2 and really we should probably have moved there when it came back but as we don't really cause anyone any trouble (and are probably a little too gentle for the more rambunctious modern CSPAM) I guess nobody could be bothered making the move.

(History lesson for the children (and Jaeluni) who weren't here for it - in the naughties several subforums spawned "FYAD-lites", sub-subforums that were to the parent what FYAD was to GBS, with lighter moderation and basically a less serious tone to try and keep the "purity" of the originals by giving people somewhere to paste in lowercase, do page snipes, and get into the same dumb arguments everyone else was bored with.

SH/SC got YOSPOS (Your Operating System Is A Piece Of poo poo), Games got YCS (Your Console Sucks), and D&D got Laissez Faire (later renamed Laissez's Fair). There were a couple of others I'm forgetting, and I suppose technically BYOB was an FYAD-lite too.

Anyway LF was *originally* meant to be a containment zone for the massive amount of libertarians that were clustering around Ron Paul in the leadup to the 2008 election and it really was a loving *terrible* place, as you'd expect for anywhere with that many internet libertarians and light-touch moderation.

Enter Helldump, a subforum established around the same time whose mission was to do to SA posters what SA posters had been doing to the internet from the start - root out the weirdest, worst posters for mocking. As you can imagine, LF was a particularly happy hunting ground for them, with dozens of incredibly creepy goons called out, and the PRON HAUL megathread in Helldump, set up specifically to mock Ron Paul posters in both D&D and LF, becoming effectively a vanguard party for taking over LF and turning it into a leftist shitposter hub and, not coincidentally, being the jumping off point for many Left Twitter/Dirtbag Left superstars.

As always with SA it ended in an utter blizzard of drama, doxing and death threats, with all of the lites (apart from YOSPOS) and Helldump getting killed off, but the Overton Window of D&D had been yanked very comprehensively to the left. Now the lites are back but the purging of a lot of the right-wingers across the entire forums means that the contrast isn't quite as sharp as it was)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think that my energy provider isn't charging me for gas and hasn't been charging me for the past year. My monthly bill is low and I'm like 300 in credit. Checking back old statements and they only mention electricity though we are asked to and do provide them readings from both meters. It looks like something has went wrong with the account and they just aren't charging us for the gas.

So here's my dilemma. Do I contact them now and let them know that we're getting gas for free, or wait till they find out. Are they even likely to find out? Am I breaking the law? Will there come a time when they realise the error and send me a bill for... thousands? Also I rent and plan to move soon... can I just bail on it?

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 1, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

I adopted another cat today. This makes me happy.

Her name is Penny and she needed a home and is currently hiding under my reading chair in the conservatory.
:3:

Failed Imagineer posted:

J/k I don't use TP
Another member of team buttwasher

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I think that my energy provider isn't charging me for gas and hasn't been charging me for the past year. My monthly bill is low and I'm like 300 in credit. Checking back old statements and they only mention electricity though we are asked to and do provide them readings from both meters. It looks like something has went wrong with the account and they just aren't charging us for the gas.

So here's my dilemma. Do I contact them now and let them know that we're getting gas for free, or wait till they find out. Are they even likely to find out? Am I breaking the law?

I bet some other poor bastard is getting your gas bill.
My thoughts and prayers are with you if it is British Gas, the worst disorganization in the entire universe that I have ever dealt with in both my personal and professional life.

If you are giving them readings (and hopefully keeping a record!) wait another week (to get through the big price increase phase and giving their customer services a bit of a break) then contact them. I may be wrong, but I think they can't back bill you more than 12 months? Someone in this thread of Fonts (Founts?) will know.

Guavanaut posted:

:3:

Another member of team buttwasher

I long for the day. I so miss my Cairo bogs. I just don't have any way in my current bathroom to fit either a seat model, spigot in the back of the bowl model, or a hose at the side of the stall model. Everything is boxed in, sealed in. Need a complete new bathroom really. Another expensive thing to decide.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 1, 2022

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

So here's my dilemma. Do I contact them now and let them know that we're getting gas for free, or wait till they find out. Are they even likely to find out? Am I breaking the law? Will there come a time when they realise the error and send me a bill for... thousands? Also I rent and plan to move soon... can I just bail on it?

They will eventually realise and say you owe the money. But will not demand it all immediately from my experience. I highly suggest ringing them before the debt becomes a huge whale.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

farcry posted:

They will eventually realise and say you owe the money. But will not demand it all immediately from my experience. I highly suggest ringing them before the debt becomes a huge whale.

Or calculate your bill and set the money aside in a separate savings account which is what I am doing with the Three thing (crediting my account £16pm instead of taking £22pm). Come the great day (which might be May when the cost is supposed to go up) I have the money available.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also show cattle pics
Penny in the front.

"What have you done????"

Spot the cat

Other cats are reacting... Interestingly. Super affectionate to us after being kinda grumpy and sad after we lost Broshka. We're keeping them separated for now. Unsure if we'll let them in the conservatory tonight.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

farcry posted:

What if... they go bust and we get transferred onto say SSE or British Gas. Would they be able to work out if there was hypothetically a year+ of uncharged gas usage?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Mebh posted:

Penny in the front.

hello Penny :3:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Turn your webcam off.

:(

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

D&D is where the decorum-poisoned liberals post, C-SPAM is for the radical fringes™️

Though bizarrely the C-SPAM Covid thread is both historically the most-accurate one on SomethingAwful and at this point one of the better curated sources for accurate Covid info on the entire internet as long as you look past the agoraphobia.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Apparently D&D and CSPAM where switched on the front page, I've been surfing SA all day (particularly at work) and never noticed until now, I guess because I navigate the forums by typing in the forumId in the URL instead. Faster to type 46, or 210.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

What if... they go bust and we get transferred onto say SSE or British Gas. Would they be able to work out if there was hypothetically a year+ of uncharged gas usage?

Ofgem's back-billing rules say no, and the administrators of the energy company are meant to play by Ofgem's rules when it comes to handling the affairs of the failed supplier. The new supplier is only on the hook for power and gas used as of the transfer date so as long as you get an accurate meter reading in, you should be good.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mebh posted:

Penny in the front.

Oh my god!

Tormaline!

Tomborpoline!

Hello cutie!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

To whom it may concern ITT: رمضان كريم (ramadan kareem)

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was once undercharged for utilities (their mistake) for almost 2 years, and they back-dated the amounts owed to 9 months, I think, by adding a little on top of my monthly bill rather than demanding a lump sum. The letter made it sound as though they were doing me this as a favour but I looked it up and apparently that was the maximum they were allowed to charge by law.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The best and weirdest billing error I ever had was with BT.

For about 2 years, every time I received a bill I was £43.42 in credit. There was never any payment made onto the account and it didn't matter how many calls I made or to where, whenever the next monthly bill came, £43.42 in credit.

I had friends coming over to call people overseas, I was using those premium rate buy a product via the cost of the call lines. I was probably tracking up hundreds of pounds of charges each month, but yet, £43.42 in credit.

They eventually started billing me correctly but never asked for any of the previous calls costs back.

I still to this day have no idea how that error came about.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of weird BT billing errors, I keep getting compensation for them not fixing my internet in time, even though I never reported a fault, nor is there anything wrong with my internet. I've had 3 over the past 6 months of about £20.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then that is true, they have not fixed your internet.

If you could acquire more internets that they have not fixed you could earn a modest living purely on compensation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i used to do the fireman's shift on some bt payment servers

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

blunt posted:

D&D is where the decorum-poisoned liberals post, C-SPAM is for the radical fringes™️

Though bizarrely the C-SPAM Covid thread is both historically the most-accurate one on SomethingAwful and at this point one of the better curated sources for accurate Covid info on the entire internet as long as you look past the agoraphobia.

if we ignore where they said it was the end of the world, had nervous breakdowns about catching frozen covid from icecream and currently think we're going to get a zombie outbreak due to accumulated brain damage from asymptomatic infections

i mean yes, i can feel my brain melting out my ears but that's due to neoliberalism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Piss country, oval office utility companies

https://twitter.com/DanWhite2022/status/1509829717234532396

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of weird BT billing errors, I keep getting compensation for them not fixing my internet in time, even though I never reported a fault, nor is there anything wrong with my internet. I've had 3 over the past 6 months of about £20.

I basically stole broadband from BT for 2 or 3 years. Back in the day before HomeHub but just a basic modem and it has 2 "numbers", normal one where you needed to login and a secondary Help one, which worked exactly the same & kept working even after I cancelled BT.

Eventually they got in touch & just said "look, sign a 12 month contract and we'll just write off your debt". So that was handy.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

His Divine Shadow posted:

Apparently D&D and CSPAM where switched on the front page, I've been surfing SA all day (particularly at work) and never noticed until now, I guess because I navigate the forums by typing in the forumId in the URL instead. Faster to type 46, or 210.

i like how all the newer forums have numbers in the 660s and 670s because fyad got moved to 666 one time and the forums software just seems to go by "biggest number + 1"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Biggest number +1 is a safer and easier way to do things than trying to go back and fill in gaps. It's probably better for a link to be broken than valid but completely wrong.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Forum IDs should be uuids :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

haakman posted:

B) A large proportion of the voting population know AND agree. I always remember that QT where JC mentioned the poorest in society get hit by climate and the audience... loving groaned. I think about that moment a lot recently.

I remember exactly that moment but if it's any consolation, those are definitely tory plants there to just distract Corbyn or drown him out

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
what newer forums? don't like the sound of it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I moved into a flat once and after submitting a meter reading got a bill for some comically absurd amount, I think several tens of thousands of pounds. Luckily I seem to recall they did quickly agree that there was something amiss and it turned out they had the wrong serial number for my meter somehow.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

I would bet money that the Costco ones beat them handily. They're seriously beefy lads.

Gotta factor in your yearly sub for that, though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Whoever moves in next is going to provide a meter reading when they set up their account, so if they really haven't been billing you (or some other poor sod) they will find out then. Assuming you're not doing a moonlight flit and leaving the country or something, anyway.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

feedmegin posted:

Spent enough on Costco toilet paper in 2020 for a year or two of subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Well yea but you’re probably also buying booze and kitchen roll and petrol and whatever as well. I agree the value proposition is less attractive if you’re only buying toilet roll lol