Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

It wasn't that bad of a joke, either.
Got to stop you there. It was a bad joke. It relied on the audience being familiar with a bad movie from 25 years ago that, I'm guessing, even the people who made it haven't thought about in at least 24 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the only movie I can think of with a bald woman as the star. If you had to make fun of Jada Pinkett I guess it's the one reference that old white dudes in the academy would understand.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the only movie I can think of with a bald woman as the star. If you had to make fun of Jada Pinkett I guess it's the one reference that old white dudes in the academy would understand.

Doesn't one of the Alien(s) movies have a bald Sigourney Weaver.

(Although I have recently learned on Twitter that she is a dude!)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Apr 1, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

alexandriao posted:

Luckily, now the door is open. Will Smith shoved the door open and hopefully we shall see a lot more comedians getting beat the poo poo out of for stuff they were previously immune to. At the very least, even if that doesn't happen, the fact is it has, and could happen again. That also means something.

:(

I don't even know how to respond to something like this. If you think it's OK to hit people that hurt your feelings then you have the mentality of an undisciplined toddler. I'm not against using violence to defend yourself and those you love from violence or threats, but it was a lovely joke at an award ceremony.

And yes, I think a public apology would have been sufficient if Smith hadn't smacked him. No one would have even remembered that joke if he didn't assault another human being over it. Bringing up nazis and Trump to compare to this situation is odd to say the least.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Robobot posted:

I don't even know how to respond to something like this. If you think it's OK to hit people that hurt your feelings then you have the mentality of an undisciplined toddler. I'm not against using violence to defend yourself and those you love from violence or threats, but it was a lovely joke at an award ceremony.

it's a troll

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Robobot posted:

And yes, I think a public apology would have been sufficient if Smith hadn't smacked him. No one would have even remembered that joke if he didn't assault another human being over it. Bringing up nazis and Trump to compare to this situation is odd to say the least.

It's ok to hit people who hurt your feelings in some situations

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like stand up comedy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wanting to always control what other people say or think is the mark of a loser

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

It's ok to hit people who hurt your feelings in some situations

No, it isn’t. It’s ok to hit someone who is threatening you or others. It’s ok to hit someone that’s being physical with you. It’s ok to hit someone who is inciting violence against others.

It’s not ok to hit someone because they told a joke you don’t like.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

i'm doing a training course where sometimes there's a break where they do yoga, and it's good that that's not mandatory because i'm not doing yoga because i'm not a freaking girl

Yoga is so dumb because it's just stretching with a million tons of dumb woo added. loving hippies ruin everything

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Robobot posted:

No, it isn’t. It’s ok to hit someone who is threatening you or others. It’s ok to hit someone that’s being physical with you. It’s ok to hit someone who is inciting violence against others.

It’s not ok to hit someone because they told a joke you don’t like.

It is though. You're being really weird about this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Yoga is so dumb because it's just stretching with a million tons of dumb woo added. loving hippies ruin everything

yeah and doing stretches isn't one size fits all, like yoga instructors like to pretend it is. you have to do stuff you feel comfortable with. when i go running or something i do some stretches but i do what feels good and in the amount that i like

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

:shrug:

Then go start hitting people I guess.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Let he who is without sin slap the first rock

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Alternatively the conditions for life are just incredibly improbable and those exact circumstances just never came up anywhere else (or at least in the part of the universe we are able to observe)

People in popular culture grossly underestimate how huge and inhospitable space is. Even if an alien culture could theoretically build a spaceship capable of traversing interstellar distances, it would be a huge flaming hole into which economic resources and alien lives would be shoveled for no gain. If they exist, they are probably just as bound to their own planets as we are to ours.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i think more than anything the distance to other stars can't be crossed for economic and practical reasons, it's probably not technically impossible but would require a huge concentrated effort for no real gain so it never happens

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aliens exist and we'll meet them in my lifetime

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

Let me say this very clearly.

Making fun of disabilities, including medical conditions, deserves violence. Because the only end result of those jokes, societally, is violence against disabled people.

It needs to be made clear concretely that these jokes are not ok. That treating disabled people as subhuman at large, is not ok. This goes for any margnialised community. I don't care how small this poo poo is. How sleight.

The sheer lack of concern for disabled people among the general public stems from these jokes, in part. The hate crime noticably statistically goes up when people say this poo poo. It needs to be shut down asap and at the earliest source.

My comparison earlier was serious, because the difference in action of people -- of society and a handful of systems, to go from "marginalised people being generally treated like poo poo", to "actively being beaten to deal" and eventually "stuffed into a gas chamber", is actually almost no difference at all. Its a very short hop and a skip and a jump to tolerating each, and it all starts at the root of it with slightly lovely jokes that say "It's acceptable to degrade this group of people".

I don't give a poo poo what you think is acceptable or kind when I see the direct impact on my friends from this bullshit. When another one of my friends loving hangs themselves because of this bullshit. Or gets the loving life beaten out of them. I'm exhausted, every marginalised person who is even remotely plugged into any kind of support network, is beyond exhaustion, and after the last 40 years? of seeing the various hate crime rates rise to almost 200 times each decade? After countless cherished friends, loving gone forever? loving lol. If all anyone is doing is a small child sized slap on stage then you are loving lucky.

Just because you don't care to see the blood doesn't mean it isn't there. gently caress off with this condescending bullshit.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Apr 1, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m sorry you’re going through all that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

Let me say this very clearly.

Making fun of disabilities, including medical conditions, deserves violence. Because the only end result of those jokes, societally, is violence against disabled people.

It needs to be made clear concretely that these jokes are not ok. That treating disabled people as subhuman at large, is not ok. This goes for any margnialised community. I don't care how small this poo poo is. How sleight.

The sheer lack of concern for disabled people among the general public stems from these jokes, in part. The hate crime noticably statistically goes up when people say this poo poo. It needs to be shut down asap and at the earliest source.

My comparison earlier was serious, because the difference in action of people -- of society and a handful of systems, to go from "marginalised people being generally treated like poo poo", to "actively being beaten to deal" and eventually "stuffed into a gas chamber", is actually almost no difference at all. Its a very short hop and a skip and a jump to tolerating each, and it all starts at the root of it with slightly lovely jokes that say "It's acceptable to degrade this group of people".

I don't give a poo poo what you think is acceptable or kind when I see the direct impact on my friends from this bullshit. When another one of my friends loving hangs themselves because of this bullshit. Or gets the loving life beaten out of them. I'm exhausted, every marginalised person who is even remotely plugged into any kind of support network, is beyond exhaustion, and after the last 40 years? of seeing the various hate crime rates rise to almost 200 times each decade? After countless cherished friends, loving gone forever? loving lol. If all anyone is doing is a small child sized slap on stage then you are loving lucky.

Just because you don't care to see the blood doesn't mean it isn't there. gently caress off with this condescending bullshit.

lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i picture a tiny critter, perhaps a mouse wearing a little vest and jacket, saying all that while standing on a soapbox

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shibawanko posted:

i picture a tiny critter, perhaps a mouse wearing a little vest and jacket, saying all that while standing on a soapbox

Don’t be an rear end in a top hat

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Don’t be an rear end in a top hat

i wouldnt be if that post wasnt so utterly pompous and ridiculous while also calling for violence over a joke

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

i wouldnt be if that post wasnt so utterly pompous and ridiculous while also calling for violence over a joke

This goon gets it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just lolling at all of you acting like a pathetic slap from an aged celebrity is a serious act of aggression.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive had friends with problems like that who committed suicide but im pretty sure its not because of jokes or whatever histrionic bullshit. for most of them it seemed more like jokes were one thing that kept them going

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

ive had friends with problems like that who committed suicide but im pretty sure its not because of jokes or whatever histrionic bullshit. for most of them it seemed more like jokes were one thing that kept them going

Are you suggesting that you knew multiple people who committed suicide after they were no longer able to make attack helicopter jokes?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: I don’t think people like the character Wonder Woman as much as they like the idea of Wonder Woman.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: I don’t think people like the character Wonder Woman as much as they like the idea of Wonder Woman.

Also, how does her invisible plane even work?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

Also, how does her invisible plane even work?

Probably like a regular plane, just invisibly

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gal Gadot is so bad at acting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving amazing in death on the nile. Just total clownshoes acting

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mu Zeta posted:

Gal Gadot is so bad at acting.

Beyond WW as played by her, I mean. I barely hear anything about Wonder Woman the comic book character and I’m pretty tuned into that sort of thing

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

But enough about your life/posting.

I'm sorry that you are going through all that alexandriao, keep safe!

I think that there should be different standards for what we consider "good" films. I'd say that something like Casablanca can't really be compared to something like Mad Max Fury road because they are both telling such different stories, but in a way that creates a very similar appreciation for their perfection.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

But enough about your life/posting.

my cousin had autism so hard that he hung himself not 2 months ago, so what that screed is saying is something i'm familiar with. but to my cousin, i'm pretty sure that the idea that his problems were because of jokes and that the way to respond to jokes is with violence would have been pathetic and insulting. i do not like me-me-me high horse self-dramatizing and if you read that poo poo and think anything but lol i wonder about your judgment

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It was a pretty ridiculous, sanctimonious, etc. post and the post content has a very tenuous connection to the Will Smith Slap Incident (lol)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shibawanko posted:

if you read that poo poo and think anything but lol i wonder about your judgment

Feel free. Seeing someone in pain makes me feel bad for them. I am sorry for your cousins passing, and wish they'd known that things could have improved.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Apr 2, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Even better than actualized violence is the implicit threat of violence conveyed through mannerisms, micro expressions, skull T-shirts, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

doverhog posted:

Even better than actualized violence is the implicit threat of violence conveyed through mannerisms, micro expressions, skull T-shirts, etc.

I've been saying for years there needs to be more regulation of skull T-shirts.