Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The events of chapter 17 made it pretty easy to surrender Mr Prince to Aesfrost, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cattail Prophet posted:

Does anyone know if the reward Lionel mentions for not taking any losses only cares about story missions, or do I have to avoid casualties in mock battles too?

I think it includes stock because my new game + run I avoided dying in any story mission (re-loaded if I did) and didn’t get it) but I could have had a character die before I saw his message and didn’t remember.

Edit: Oh, they say green units count and I think I let one of those die, so that would be it. The reward is very underwhelming though.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 31, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone figured out what the reward is?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Has anyone figured out what the reward is?

Yeah, looking at spoilers the reward is a bracelet with a 50% chance of reviving you when you die. Which is stupid because I have 2 bracelets that have a 100% chance of doing that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, looking at spoilers the reward is a bracelet with a 50% chance of reviving you when you die. Which is stupid because I have 2 bracelets that have a 100% chance of doing that.

Is it a one-time per battle only thing? Or infinite times? The latter would be good.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

It's infinite.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXLPAGGMDl0

Made this about Benedict because our old man doesn't get enough chat and there's some cool efficiencies that Twofold turn activates that people don't talk about.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I've come around on the music more. Combat - Destiny is an all time great track.

When it comes on for Serenoa during the Frederica Route :cry:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Natural 20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXLPAGGMDl0

Made this about Benedict because our old man doesn't get enough chat and there's some cool efficiencies that Twofold turn activates that people don't talk about.

I was very disappointed when I experimented with Twofold Turn and found that it didn't let you Sunfall, Rite of Thunderstorms, etc., right away. Good to see there's some out of the box uses though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mustard Iceman posted:

I was very disappointed when I experimented with Twofold Turn and found that it didn't let you Sunfall, Rite of Thunderstorms, etc., right away. Good to see there's some out of the box uses though.

It's also not a TP generator for the person who is taking the two turns :mad: That combined with the chance to fail means that Now! still has a solid niche. It's too bad about benedicts buffs being flat though.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's also not a TP generator for the person who is taking the two turns :mad: That combined with the chance to fail means that Now! still has a solid niche. It's too bad about benedicts buffs being flat though.

I've never seen it fail and don't know under what conditions that occurs. It doesn't work for natural TP regeneration but it does allow you to double up on Trekking for TP or Decimal's TP charge iirc.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think it only fails in the case of the Casting Time abilities which is what the "may fail" is supposed to account for. I have otherwise never seen it fail.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Really, Decimal plus "name your gimmick" is probably the most boom for your buck. Stop time charges his TP. Most of the time, you'll be hitting more than two targets--sometimes the entire map if you're cheeky about elevation. No charge time required!

Rite of Thunderstorms setups are fun, but inefficient.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just beat chapter 4 and the game is starting to give me extra units. Is it going to be feasible to keep them all levelled without lots of grinding (I don't mind doing the training missions as they come but doing them repeatedly seems like a drag) or do I need to start picking which ones I'll actually use like Fire Emblem?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's easy to catch people up since they gain exp per action based on their level compared to the Recommended Level of the stage. So an underleveled unit will gain 100 exp for using a basic healing item on themselves and level up every action, while your more established units who are in every battle will get, like, 4 exp for killing an enemy. You can easily do this in repeatable tavern missions where the enemies tend to be below the recommended level, or just have them sit safely in the back for a plot mission or two.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 3, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I recommend you focus on a core group of 12-14 or so units for your first play through, then level up the rest for NG+.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
There's a few units who aren't gonna make the cut in every single battle, so having 3-4 bench units you can keep at level with the main party is invaluable. Mock Battles generally have a higher party cap, and catch-up leveling is super efficient.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gato posted:

Just beat chapter 4 and the game is starting to give me extra units. Is it going to be feasible to keep them all levelled without lots of grinding (I don't mind doing the training missions as they come but doing them repeatedly seems like a drag) or do I need to start picking which ones I'll actually use like Fire Emblem?

I maintained around 20 units or so by alternating ones I used in the story and ones I used in the tavern.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Beat the game last night choosing Frederica's path and well that sure was an ending.

Game was really fun despite all its flaws. It was nice to play a relatively low stress SRPG and I will definitely try NG+ the next time I'm in the mood for a good SRPG but for now I'm moving on to something different.

My wife likes SRPGs too and she watched me play this off and on. As soon as I was done she started her own game and she's enjoying it as well. She's definitely going to make different decisions than I did so it'll be fun seeing that.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I found out I was exactly one decision away from the golden ending lol. Oh well. I will gladly take Frederica's path.

i think it's kinda effed up that the game forces you to choose between a bunch of good girls in A Banner's Worth.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just cleared the chapter 7 battle and I've got a couple Q's about the broader mechanics.

-I picked the protect Roland route and really wanted to not burn any houses down, but I'm pretty sure it cannot be done without tons of grinding or cheesing. I managed to only fire one of the three traps, so that's at least something. Has anyone managed to do this? Was there a way to cheese Avlora?

-Do I ever get to see what my convictions actually are, other than really strengthened? My party was a lot easier to convince to protect Roland than to surrender him; was this because of my convictions were more moral than utilitarian or is that always the case?

-I got a medal of bravery from the battle and one from the kudos store, plus some silver as spoils, but most of my units are above level 10 and ruefully unupgraded. Is there anything particular I should keep my eye on, or will they just slowly pile up as I play through the game and win battles and spoils?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just cleared the chapter 7 battle and I've got a couple Q's about the broader mechanics.

-I picked the protect Roland route and really wanted to not burn any houses down, but I'm pretty sure it cannot be done without tons of grinding or cheesing. I managed to only fire one of the three traps, so that's at least something. Has anyone managed to do this? Was there a way to cheese Avlora?

-Do I ever get to see what my convictions actually are, other than really strengthened? My party was a lot easier to convince to protect Roland than to surrender him; was this because of my convictions were more moral than utilitarian or is that always the case?

-I got a medal of bravery from the battle and one from the kudos store, plus some silver as spoils, but most of my units are above level 10 and ruefully unupgraded. Is there anything particular I should keep my eye on, or will they just slowly pile up as I play through the game and win battles and spoils?

1. If you get Jens, the blacksmith, it's really easy to cheese Avlora by using a ladder to fight from the rooftops. Some folks said they were able to win that fight by just using chokepoints and knockback abilities.

2. NG+ lets you see your conviction scores.

3. The promotions are really slow early on, but you gradually get more until everyone is upgraded. Remember that recruited party members outside of your first one come on board at rank 2 already. Remember to look for hidden treasure during exploration phases, and keep some money ready for itinerant merchants, as these are both ways to get extra weapon upgrade materials, which are another upgrade bottleneck outside of promotion medals. Whenever your encampment merchant restocks on weapon upgrade materials, it's worth buying them up since they're so limited at first.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

1 - Yes. Multiple people have done that including myself. What I did was abuse Corentin's ice wall and then blast people with archers and mages. Someone else used Jens' ladders but I didn't have him unlocked by that point so I didn't have that option. You can also throw oil jugs and set them on fire with Frederica.

2 - You only get to see your conviction scores after you beat the game and start a new game+. If you want to look up what each decision gives you there's nothing stopping you from using a guide.

3 - You don't get enough promotion/upgrade materials in a single playthrough to max everyone out so focus on the people you use the most.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There are a few ways to do it. One of the rooftops is inaccessible to melee troops, so if you kill the ranged and mages, Hughette can kill everything uncontested. You can push her off of things so she takes % fall damage (probably the intended solution), or the dumbest way ive found, have anna poison her then run away and stealth.

Fun fact if you shove a unit and it hits one of the triggers, it sets off the trap.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

To your first question: No grinding or cheesing here and I cleared it pretty effortlessly first try without using the traps.

I simply created a dense bunker on the left side while Erador and Anna murdered the stragglers on the right staircase. It was fairly ez pz.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 3, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought the boss was immune to status effects? Is there some way to circumvent that? Would also be good to know going forward, Anna is a pretty integral part of my tactics.

I did have most of those tools, but I managed to take off a quarter of her health while she took out half my party. Ah well, perhaps some day I'll face this map again.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1. It's possible but it's intended to be tough your first time through.

2. Yes, in New Game +

3. They are largely plot gated, so you'll get enough by the end to fully upgrade most of your A team. NG+ carries them over, so you can finish up everyone else in subsequent runs.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Failed a vote & just committed a war crime.

Hope my wife & the people don't hate me for flooding the capital

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

wereboat posted:

There are a few ways to do it. One of the rooftops is inaccessible to melee troops, so if you kill the ranged and mages, Hughette can kill everything uncontested.

You don't even need to kill all the ranged first, there are places too high for them to ever hit her and if the AI can't find a path it'll just stop doing things.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Chiming in on the Ch 7 strats:

The boss is primarily a melee attacker, so if you pop Fire Shield onto a tank that you can consistently heal, she'll go down fairly quickly from damaging herself and all of your dudes wailing on her.

My tank ended up being Julio, but you can use anybody that can take multiple hits from her.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Found some NG+ exclusive dialogue on the utility route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faIzrvXbUxk

It's really cool!

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought the boss was immune to status effects? Is there some way to circumvent that? Would also be good to know going forward, Anna is a pretty integral part of my tactics.

Bosses have a special skill that denotes status resistance, usually they're immune to three or four but not all of them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know, but the chapter 7 boss was wearing an amulet of immunity or something that claimed to provide immunity against all status effects. I didn't try poison, but it did block the couple effects I tried.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea you get the amulet of immunity she is wearing later on, and it does indeed provide immunity to all status effects, including poisoning. Not sure if it works on Stop though.

Fury, Poison, Charm, Blind, Sleep at a minimum.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I must have done it with the raw damage from throw poison then. That's an even worse idea

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

wereboat posted:

I must have done it with the raw damage from throw poison then. That's an even worse idea

I think if you are willing to expend the TP, the base damage of the poison attack is higher then your normal attack, so it's worth doing even with the status immunities.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea you get the amulet of immunity she is wearing later on, and it does indeed provide immunity to all status effects, including poisoning. Not sure if it works on Stop though.

Fury, Poison, Charm, Blind, Sleep at a minimum.

Pretty sure Stop is a special case, yeah. I popped the restore quietus on a stopped character when I was fighting Lyla and stop wasn't removed. It did, however, remove the Delayed Damage status.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Stop goes through everything and can't be cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Man, the bombs in the mines mission is rude AF. I feel like one thing that strategy games need to be extremely judicious with are enemy reinforcement spawns. I think they're generally not a good gameplay mechanic. They can work when the risk of reinforcements arriving at a specific spot is a unique part of the mission. But just having reinforcements spawn at random points on the map without warning sucks. It's bad in Fire Emblem and it's bad in this game. Especially on hard, where positioning and risk assessment are such a big part of the strategy.