Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just one word of advice: make sure you buy the Octagon Rod when you get the chance. You can get it at Esto Gaza or Daguerreo toward the end of disc 3. In disc 4 it's gone for good, and Vivi's -ga spells along with it.

Learned that the hard way in my last playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I loved ff12 on the ps2, the combat was great when i setup gambits for the other party members but the party leader and just did them manually. Loved it so much it was the first ff game i 100%'d @140 hours (still got my og save. gently caress still got my og ff9 release year save too) and got everyone to level 99 before i did the last dungeon and final boss, which was about as hilarious as youd think. Yizamat was the real boss in my eyes. 8 hour nightmare.

Kinda curious to see how things have changed innthe remaster, i thought it was the same but reading the past few pages got me dead curious now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

I loved ff12 on the ps2, the combat was great when i setup gambits for the other party members but the party leader and just did them manually. Loved it so much it was the first ff game i 100%'d @140 hours (still got my og save. gently caress still got my og ff9 release year save too) and got everyone to level 99 before i did the last dungeon and final boss, which was about as hilarious as youd think. Yizamat was the real boss in my eyes. 8 hour nightmare.

Kinda curious to see how things have changed innthe remaster, i thought it was the same but reading the past few pages got me dead curious now

The remaster is a remaster of the Zodiac Job System version (which was previously a Japanese-only PS2 re-release), which replaces the huge single license board with twelve job boards, with each character having to pick a job. In the remaster, each character gets two jobs instead. That, plus some rebalances, new weapons and items, etc. It's fairly different.

The PC version has a number of mods that bring back the PS2 license board if you prefer it that way, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjTEMCVIx8

This is a great April Fools video

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

what

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played with the sound off, what was fake about it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I played with the sound off, what was fake about it

nothing it's just the trailer for the next patch in xiv

here's a timestamp for their april fools vids from the liveletter this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCQPvBgRqk&t=7946s

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chaos has been killed and somehow a good story fell out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'mma about to start FF12 Zodiac Fabula Nova Crystalis Extreme Switch edition, what were the recommended classes/jobs for each of my stooges?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Calaveron posted:

I'mma about to start FF12 Zodiac Fabula Nova Crystalis Extreme Switch edition, what were the recommended classes/jobs for each of my stooges?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-explained-4112

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Make everyone a black mage/white mage and put the reins of history back in the hands of man

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As the guy who thinks too much about FFXII, here are my tips:
  • Nobody is bad enough at anything that it matters who gets what job. Balthier's the worst mage but still a popular choice for White Mage, for example, because of his innate Steal. You can make Penelo a tank. It really doesn't matter.
  • Generally, melee attackers want heavy armor, because heavy armor boosts Strength. Knight, Uhlan, and Breaker naturally have access to heavy armor, but Shikari, Monk, and Bushi don't. So I like to pair Shikari, Monk, and Bushi with jobs that have heavy armor so they can do more damage. For example, Shikari/Time Mage or Monk/Time Mage are really good, and I love Bushi/Knight.
  • There are lots of weapons and armor that boost elemental damage, and they are very, very strong. However, it never actually says in the item description that it does this, so you might need to look up which is which. The Cherry Staff, for example, boosts wind damage by 50%. Your Black Mage should always try to hold a staff that boosts the element they're currently casting the most, for example, and Knights can wear White Robes to boost Excalibur's damage (which is one reason I like pairing them with Bushi, which gets mystic armor/robes).
And that's about it. The game isn't nearly hard enough that you need to min/max, so do what looks fun, and you can completely reassign jobs for free any time you want if you decide you don't like how things are going.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 2, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
FFXII is actually an incredibly difficult game, and I haven't yet found a job combination that can stop me from getting lost in the Great Crystal and eventually giving up and uninstalling

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The Switch Zodiac Age version doesn't have any of the goofy chest shenanigans right?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

More or less correct. You can't be permanently locked out of anything. Some chests might still have low spawn rates though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What was the trick to Trial Mode? I could get some good poo poo very early on right? I just beat the inexplicable fire horse in the sewer level and am in jail

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Calaveron posted:

What was the trick to Trial Mode? I could get some good poo poo very early on right? I just beat the inexplicable fire horse in the sewer level and am in jail

Why wouldn’t a fire horse live in the ancient sewers under a city

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I remember there was some sort of limitation with the ninja swords/shikari weapons right? There were several licenses but you would have to forego one?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Calaveron posted:

Also I remember there was some sort of limitation with the ninja swords/shikari weapons right? There were several licenses but you would have to forego one?

Due to the quickening nodes, yeah, you can lock yourself out of Yagyu Darkblade. Shikari has licenses behind four quickening nodes, so..just be aware of that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Due to the quickening nodes, yeah, you can lock yourself out of Yagyu Darkblade. Shikari has licenses behind four quickening nodes, so..just be aware of that.

In the switch and xbox versions (and Im pretty sure the PC and PS4 got patched for this) you can redo your license boards so its not a problem anymore

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I tried the SoP demo but quit pretty fast after finding it tedious. However, after reading the all the praise in this thread for the story, I went and spoiled myself, and now my interest is piqued enough that I'll try to give it a shot once it falls in price to $20 or so.

I appreciate that this series (and its spinoffs) keep trying new things and changing up how gameplay works, but for my money the series' combat peaked at 10.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like FFX's combat when it actually forces you to be dynamic in how you switch around your guys and what sphere grids you have the characters cross over but for a good chunk of the game it really just is Pokemon with using Tidus, Wakka, Lulu or Auron to super effective one shot an enemy weak to their gimmick

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

In the switch and xbox versions (and Im pretty sure the PC and PS4 got patched for this) you can redo your license boards so its not a problem anymore

oh, right! Yeah okay no worries anymore then

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

X's combat is okay but I really don't like the sphere grid. I also don't like the license board in XII.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

X's combat is okay but I really don't like the sphere grid. I also don't like the license board in XII.

As one of the thread's more insistent FFXII defenders, I also don't like the license board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only sphere leveling system I like is FF7R's weapon upgrades

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't mind the sphere grid in all honesty but I also mostly just went in a straight line anyways.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't mind the sphere grid in all honesty but I also mostly just went in a straight line anyways.

Tbf most of the sphere grid is a straight line, theres only a few locks where you can jump to a new grid path anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Expert sphere grid lets you do that a lot more, as I found out to my cost the first time I played the game and utterly hosed up my characters to the point where Khimari was my biggest damage dealer lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I enjoy filling things out so I liked the sphere grid.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sakurazuka posted:

Khimari was my biggest damage dealer lol

My condolences.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Base Khimari isn't bad by himself, I remember it being really easy to get him onto Lulu's grid, as well as having way higher than expected Magic stat by the time you did that.

Of course I also haven't played FF10 in nearly 20 years but I remember being chuffed at finding that worked out

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I think the game tricks you into making Kimahri a Wakka since his path is the closest if I recall correctly. Not a bad deal since having two guys who can hit for status ailments is pretty worthwhile at the beginning of the game

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Base grid Kimahri-Wakka is a good way to get more Kimahri usage into your party as you can have a character who can pierce and hit wolves and eventually birds making him a melee all rounder.

Kimahri is never going to be as good as anyone else since the locks delay his entry into any given path for a while so the practical choice is sending him down any instantly stat heavy path to let him do something, anything, in combat to get enough grid travel to unlock ultima and give it to actual useful party members with black magic spheres when you get the keys.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

magic also hits birds!!!!

That was one of the subtler things I liked about X at least, flying enemies were evasive and the game let you know that and it was consistent, small four-legged beasts were generally fast, magic weaknesses were presented front and center. It's very transparent for an FF.

I mean eventually you fight nothing but huge things but there was a reason to swap people mid-fight, aside from having a compulsion to do so and way too much time on your hands (confession: it me)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Calaveron posted:

but for a good chunk of the game it really just is Pokemon with using Tidus, Wakka, Lulu or Auron to super effective one shot an enemy weak to their gimmick

Unless you do what I did and teach Yuna the first four black magic spells by sending her down Lulu's path a bit, then Lulu becomes completely useless and can be benched for the entire rest of the game. Seriously, Yuna was doing twice as much damage with a level 1 black magic spell as Lulu was doing with a level 2. Also, Lulu's overdrive is the worst in the game, and her ultimate weapon requires you to do the worst minigame.

Lulu. Not even once.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

She's got a dress made of belts tho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

magic also hits birds!!!!

A little trick I learned from an LP forever ago (by HcBailly if anybody here ever watched him) was how Lulu was superior to Wakka for killing birds because she could more reliably Overkill them.

This blew my young mind since I just did what the game told me with Wakka > Bird and Lulu > magical enemies. Lulu is pretty great against everything until she isn't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Unless you do what I did and teach Yuna the first four black magic spells by sending her down Lulu's path a bit, then Lulu becomes completely useless and can be benched for the entire rest of the game. Seriously, Yuna was doing twice as much damage with a level 1 black magic spell as Lulu was doing with a level 2. Also, Lulu's overdrive is the worst in the game, and her ultimate weapon requires you to do the worst minigame.

Lulu. Not even once.

Yeah, at least with the default sphere grid, Yuna gets much higher magic than Lulu does, and much better speed, too. I didn't really take advantage of that until the late game in my most recent playthrough, but as soon as Lulu got the -aga spells and Ultima, I used Black Magic Spheres to teach them to Yuna and then benched Lulu for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, what's the deal with Red Mage in SoP? Chainspell's supposed to cast multiple times, right? How come I can't even do a decent damage single black magic cast? I don't quite understand what's going on with the job.