Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Frontline is an unpleasant and confusing haze, like being lost in a hospital, but you have basically no influence on the outcome so you can just enter a disassociative state and leave with some wolf marks.

This is my biggest issue with Frontline. Even more so than most MMO PvP, I never feel like anything I'm doing has any impact at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I've won one Frontline match out of the 15 or so I've played, and it's hard not to feel like I'm a jinx or somehow loving my team over, even though I appear to be playing adequately (sticking with the group, getting a fair number of assists a match and a KO or two, dying a few times a match but not constantly). I'm not good at it, but I can't be that bad at it, right?

I mean if you want actual advice, one or two KOs is really low for a match. I suspect you're falling into the common mindset where it's better to be safe and stay back to capture points and stuff. This is incorrect, youre in pvp and your job is to kill the enemy and know when to hold ground in a teamfight vs fall back. That is something you need to learn and practice though, so don't be scared of overextending and dying, that's part of the game mode!

I think a lot of people overestimate how important an objective is. You'll see stuff like the blob engaging in a teamfight where there's a good chance of winning, a PvE objective spawns and 50% of the blob immediately splits off to go sit on an uncontested point. This leaves the other 50% to get slaughtered which not only gives the enemy team points but also removes points from yours, possibly even making the pve objective a net loss!

And once you get up there in battle high, you do start making a difference in team fights because battlehigh makes you way tougher and boosts your damage by a ton. Although not like any of this matters now that frontlines are dead :v:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It's obviously impossible to carry 23 players but a good player - especially with bh5 - can absolutely make a major difference in a match. I've pulled off some wild defenses clutch healing a small squad against a larger zerg and single-handedly turned fights around as a summoner making GBS threads aoes all over the place. And I'm by no means a hardcore pvp guy, just do my dailies.

edit: yeah what those guys said. Battle high is a huge deal

acumen fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 2, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As PvP exists now (who knows what the future holds~~) Battle High is the most important thing bar none. It's an absolute insane boon to both damage and survivability, and a small group that focuses on getting BH5 will absolutely cleave through the other teams with incredible ease if they haven't done the same - and in doing so steal a huge number of points.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Zokari posted:

This is my biggest issue with Frontline. Even more so than most MMO PvP, I never feel like anything I'm doing has any impact at all.

This is why I prefer Rival Wings. You can make a difference and you feel like you're making a difference. It might not ultimately matter, but still.

But Rival Wings isn't on the goddamn roulette so nobody is ever doing it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Zokari posted:

I love Frontlines because of this. No pressure whatsoever

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Xun posted:

I mean if you want actual advice, one or two KOs is really low for a match. I suspect you're falling into the common mindset where it's better to be safe and stay back to capture points and stuff. This is incorrect, youre in pvp and your job is to kill the enemy and know when to hold ground in a teamfight vs fall back. That is something you need to learn and practice though, so don't be scared of overextending and dying, that's part of the game mode!
Yeah, that's a fair point. I play ranged DPS in Frontlines (usually MCH), because :effort: and I need the XP on them anyway, and most of the advice I've seen for rDPS amounts to "you should never ever ever die," so it's made me a little cautious. I also need to figure out a good quick-targeting solution, maybe just getting better at manual clicking, because Tab auto-targeting always seems to give me a full-health tank a billion miles away instead of the 29% health BLM right next to me.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It's not so much "try not to ever die"; it's more "you shouldn't ever be in a position where you will die because you fight at range and are paying attention to your minimap/surroundings".

Also on top of tab targeting I'd also suggest binding"target nearest enemy" (mine's on tilde)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
You can definitely have an influence on the game. When i first start i had a terrible winrate ( can't remember what it was but i was 1-15 or something on Seal Rock), but over time i got it up to 50%, which i feel which is mainly from developing game sense and shot calling.

Keep your map open in a corner of your screen so you can see where objectives spawn and call the one your team should go for in alliance chat with an alert sound to let the people tunnel visioning know it spawned.

Bind a key to target nearest enemy so you can quickly target people out of position without having to deal with the horrible tab targeting. Make a macro to put a 1 marker on your target for focus fire and use it. Having a /target <attack1> macro to target other people's targets helps as well, i think there's one in the macro page by default.

The most important thing is not to die because late game battle high decides games. I play Dragoon so maybe i'm biased as it has a backflip to escape but i think if you die more than once then you had a bad game. if you can get good at killstealing then keeping the stacks by not dying you help your team a lot.

After that it's just playing enough to get a good sense of what the enemy does and working around it. For example, on Borderland Ruins 99% of the time teams will form into a blob, run to a point to cap it, then leave to go to the other side if there's noone there to fight. If you just walk away for 15 seconds rather than give them something to shoot at they will leave and you can recap the point while they waste their time tunnel vision running to the other side of the map. In Seal Rock you should never backcap the northeast point on the bridge thing because the North team's reinforcements will come to fight you, their team will all die to the other team, feeding them points and stacks , and they will end up capping everything on the map while you fight North team at their spawn over nothing. I've seen so many games get thrown because of that.

You can't win every game but you can definitely have a big influence on it even if you suck at actually fighting like me. Start with not dying and go from there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't really care about my KO rate because I try to pick out someone who's out of position/1v1 and put more pressure on them with arrows. If someone else seals the deal I don't mind so 1 KO and 20-30 assists has me feeling pretty good.

On a different note, my brother's looking for fishing rod options for his outdoor housing. Trying top google it just gets mired down in all the actual fishing rods, is there a good furniture option that could be shoved into a gnome?

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I prefer to PvP as a healer, even though I don't normally PvE as a healer. I find it oddly less stressful because there are fewer buttons to worry about and deaths are routine. If someone is out of range or gets focused down in a GCD, it's not really my fault, and since I don't have a raise, they're no longer my problem either.

Plus I can be super annoying to the other team because if they're not coordinated, I can keep a lot of my people up just tossing heals around, and if some of them come after me, I'm even better at healing myself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does PvP come with a tutorial or do I just hammer "Frontline" in the Duty Finder and start smacking anything I can target?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

YggiDee posted:

Does PvP come with a tutorial or do I just hammer "Frontline" in the Duty Finder and start smacking anything I can target?

Go into the wolves den first so you can mess around with your completely different and unrelated hotbars.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YggiDee posted:

--Head to the Wolves' Den, I honestly can't remember what quest points you there
--The Den is a PvP zone so your hotbar will change. Use this opportunity to move things around and figure out what your buttons are.
--Then go to Frontline and start flailing.

If you're trying to level jobs as well, note that roulette considers the job you join as but you can switch to a different one once inside. So you don't need to PvP on a job to get xp for it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

YggiDee posted:

There's no tutorial, but the Wolf's Den has a set of striking dummies to practice on. PvP gives a complete hotbar makeover (including some skills you may not have in PvE yet if you're not 90, since they equalize skill selections), so spending some time practicing and sorting out your hotbar is a really good idea.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YggiDee posted:

You'll want to go to the Wolves' Den in La Noscea on the job you're queuing up as first, as each job in PVP has their own unique actions and hotbars for that mode specifically. You'll have a "PVP Profile" option under the Character menu (leftmost red icon) that will let you look at all your PVP actions, as well as select two additional actions that provide some bonus utility. Once you get those set up, you can queue for the daily roulette, which will drop you in whatever the daily Frontline map is.

Each map has slightly differing objectives:
  • Borderland Ruins (Secure): Teams attempt to control several neutral outposts in order to acquire points. Every so often, Allagan drones will appear in the middle of the arena and can be killed for additional points.
  • Seal Rock (Seize): Teams race around attempting to capture and hold special nodes that will gradually give points the longer that they're held. New nodes will periodically spawn once the old ones are drained of points.
  • Fields of Glory (Shatter): Teams attempt to destroy various crystal nodes that spawn, gaining points proportional to the damage dealt to them.
  • Onsal Hakair (Danshig Nadaam): Teams attempt to capture various nodes that spawn around the map, though they don't have to be held once captured, unlike in Seal Rock.
Other than "follow the crowd and hit people," trying to stay alive and not overextending too much is a good general strategy. The more KOs and assists you get, the more your "Battle High" builds up, which provides a percentile bonus to your damage and healing in several tiers. Getting to Battle High 5 turns you into an absolute monster, so getting and maintaining as much Battle High as possible is a good way to contribute if you want to tryhard it.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Did you have to get frontline wins when the event was active or just having them was sufficient?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

derra posted:

Did you have to get frontline wins when the event was active or just having them was sufficient?

To get the gear you only needed Wolf Marks, which you'd get win or lose. Winning might give a better bonus though; I don't pay that much attention.

Getting the mounts or the like might have needed wins.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Pretty sure it only counted wins with the title on while the achievements were active, so don't count on retroactive or "out of season" wins getting backfilled for the mounts.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hogama posted:

Pretty sure it only counted wins with the title on while the achievements were active, so don't count on retroactive or "out of season" wins getting backfilled for the mounts.

That's right. In order to get the mounts, you needed a complete set of left-side gear to get the achievement and title it granted you, which you then have to have turned on in order for your wins in Frontlines/The Feast to count toward the achievement for the mounts. And as I recall, I believe they said the mount achievements would no longer be obtainable once the event ended. There was a big push near the end for people to get them, myself included.

You only needed one title, so whichever set of gear you completed would be fine, and you didn't need to wear the gear itself, just the title. If you got every title (there was one for each weapon type available in Heavensward), you got an additional, special title. The event went on well into Stormblood but they never added a katana or rapier to the weapon list (though SAM and RDM could wear the respective striking/casting type armor) so it looks like there'll be a few more titles/weapons to get this go around.

PLD, DRG, and NIN had exclusive sets armor sets, WAR and DRK shared a model design but their armor was still job locked (they gave different titles), and there were striking, casting, and healing sets, all called "Makai", along with unique weapons for the remaining jobs. The "Makai" sets also had male/female splits. The male Aiming set, for example had a scope/eyepatch thing for the headpiece while the female set had a little butterfly hair clip. The ladies also got tight leather shorts, while the boys got leather pants.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 2, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

soon you too can look this cool

(female makai ranged set)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kerrzhe posted:

My favorite chakrams

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Mado Brush is also one of the neater Black Mage weapons.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The Paladin Sword has a thing where it appears to be in a scabbard when sheathed and then the blade's intricate designs appear when it's unsheathed. Then they added Samurai, where the scabbard is part of the whole package.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Kerrzhe posted:

The hairpin is my go to for 95% of my Dancer glams, it rules.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In Frontlines I usually dance, and my kill rate is usually awful since I don't have much burst but I get tons of assists and typically am one of the highest people for total damage dealt. I just suck at actually getting the kills.

Also if you get dumped on the timid team, Dancer isn't great since while you may be good at getting away when your blob retreats at first sign of the enemy, you'll also never get close enough to safely use those dances for maximum effect.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

There's no tutorial, but the Wolf's Den has a set of striking dummies to practice on. PvP gives a complete hotbar makeover (including some skills you may not have in PvE yet if you're not 90, since they equalize skill selections), so spending some time practicing and sorting out your hotbar is a really good idea.

And while you're doing this, read all the skill tooltips. They might have the same name/icon, but many skills work quite differently than their PVE version.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also, if you open up the pvp menu there's a set of optional weaponskills/abilities for every job that you can pick two of to take into pvp that can drastically affect how you play depending on your choices

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im excited to see the new pvp limit breaks/adrenaline rushes. i wonder if the differences will be strictly cosmetic like pve LB3 or if they'll actually have somewhat unique effects

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Do people have a problem with High Jump's animation lock? It's miniscule at this point.

Very late reply because I've been away from my computer for the past day, but they're likely shortening the animation on Jump, its sub-74 predecessor/downgrade. The animation lock on Jump is somewhere between Stardiver and Dragonfire Dive in terms of length AFAICT.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bloody Emissary posted:

Very late reply because I've been away from my computer for the past day, but they're likely shortening the animation on Jump, its sub-74 predecessor/downgrade. The animation lock on Jump is somewhere between Stardiver and Dragonfire Dive in terms of length AFAICT.

I'm played ARR Dragoon so even regular jump feels instant to me.

Would make sense if they wanted to get jump double-weave capable. Dragoons do have a lot of oGCDs and a lot of them are on the longer end.

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015
I liked frontlines a lot more before they increased mount speed in pvp, felt like it was easier to communicate and direct the deathball of players.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Never changing my title now

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I didn't catch the livestream live, but did they say what's going to happen with wolf marks? Is there a new currency that they can be exchanged for or will they just be obsolete?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HackensackBackpack posted:

I didn't catch the livestream live, but did they say what's going to happen with wolf marks? Is there a new currency that they can be exchanged for or will they just be obsolete?

I believe Wolf Marks are staying, what they weren't clear on is what the new Crystal Trophies are for. I'm guessing they're how we'll buy the old feast gear that's unobtainable now.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hunter Noventa posted:

I believe Wolf Marks are staying, what they weren't clear on is what the new Crystal Trophies are for. I'm guessing they're how we'll buy the old feast gear that's unobtainable now.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think they said the crystal trophy shop will be available for the current season and then the season after and then it will be removed, similar to Moogle Tomestones. So i would expect a trickle of new rewards along with the feast armour.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For those who might not have been keeping up with gear, just to know, the minimum ilvl for the 6.1 MSQ dungeon is likely going to be 560 with Myths of the Realm being 565 if patterns from the last two expansions keep up.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fortunately, it appears to be a buyer's market these days. Crafted 580 gear is pretty cheap if anyone needs to fill in some gaps.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Are there going to be new tinctures in this patch? I'm guessing no, they'll come with a raid, but I'm running lowish and wanted to know if I should make some now or wait a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It should be crafter/gatherer related stuff this time. I wouldn’t expect tinctures.