Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

Following never gets any love, maybe because it's harder to track down and is low budget (and feels it), but it's a top 5 Nolan.

oh absolutely, Following is one of the best of the early indie darling movies. deserves to be remembered a lot more than say Clerks or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Nolan got hit with the same thing everyone does when they get big - they are surrounded by yes men and nobody will smack them and tell them to go back to the drawing board when they come up with a dumb idea. I’d give Nolan maybe one more decent flick in his career.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Always a fan of took a shattered bullet, rebuilt it, somehow read a fingerprint from that, traced it to a guy at the mayor's event

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lechtansi posted:

Nolan got hit with the same thing everyone does when they get big - they are surrounded by yes men and nobody will smack them and tell them to go back to the drawing board when they come up with a dumb idea. I’d give Nolan maybe one more decent flick in his career.

What? After one movie with mixed reviews, and he's suddenly an egomaniac dimwit surrounded by yes men?

That's certainly a take.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nihonniboku posted:

... he's suddenly an egomaniac dimwit surrounded by yes men?

Uh he has a name, Zach Snyder

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm still psyched for Oppenheimer (entirely because of Florence Pugh, my fav actress), but it's certainly a take in itself to say Tenet is the only blemish of his (at all, even in that decade) when Dark Knight Rises exists

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Uh he has a name, Zach Snyder
If anything it seems like Snyder has been surrounded by no-men for a lot of his career

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly I wasn't that high on Interstellar, other than having fun with Matt Damon. Like, at least Tenet was stupid but kinda fun sometimes.
Dunkirk was just like, the most expensive History Channel dramatization ever, basically. Spectacle to be sure but not exactly...characters.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
For me I'm all about the visuals in interstellar. Just a gorgeous movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
dunkirk is fine, but it does both too much and not enough with the premise of having three different time scales or whatever you call it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So.... The Bubble is awful right? Like I'm about an hour in and it seems like it's just Apatow letting his daughter do TikTok dances

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every review I saw was pretty savage on it, yeah.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Is this Netflix trivia game just going to be annoying movie questions?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bananaquiter posted:

Is this Netflix trivia game just going to be annoying movie questions?
They should have it just be questions about netflix shows

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Medullah posted:

So.... The Bubble is awful right? Like I'm about an hour in and it seems like it's just Apatow letting his daughter do TikTok dances

I haven't watched it yet, but him just using his influence to try and make his daughters famous seems pretty on brand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched most of season 1 of Kidding. Mostly I feel like it's pretty good even if it lays it on a little bit too thick at times. My one big complaint is all of the 1:1 parallels between the main character who is clearly inspired by Mr. Rogers but is not him and the real man. Repeatedly ripping actual Mr. Rogers stuff that happened and applying it to this character and him and his situation feels both lazy and sort of disrespectful.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Better Nate Than LEver was a lot of fun. That kid is a star.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Watched The Adam Project with my kids and we really enjoyed it. Very thin YA level plot and very Ryan Reynolds. But it was well paced, had some decent action and nice emotional punches for us parents.

The villain was too thin for me but the perfect level for my kids to get it.

The kid was great though. They did a good job of making him a good younger Ryan Reynolds and they had a good dynamic on screen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but him just using his influence to try and make his daughters famous seems pretty on brand.

I almost never turn a movie off, sunken cost and all, but yeah right after I posted I shut it off. Such a shame because it has a great cast but it really seems he just got everyone together and they're improvising while his daughter makes TikToks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

This is literally everyone in Hollywood.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Medullah posted:

I almost never turn a movie off, sunken cost and all, but yeah right after I posted I shut it off. Such a shame because it has a great cast but it really seems he just got everyone together and they're improvising while his daughter makes TikToks

I don't understand why he can't make a movie with a runtime under two hours. Who are the people that want these interminably long improv comedies?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Me usually. What channel is it on

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Me usually. What channel is it on

Netflix but I'm begging you to not watch it. Well that is unless you love the idea of his daughter being a TikTok star leading the rest of the cast in a dance number unironically.

Edit - And I like a good dance number, to be clear, but framed in a portrait mode TikTok grainy filter, no.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I feel bad for Karen Gillan and Daisy Ridley, and I forgive John Cena because he did give us Peacemaker right before this. That's the kindest/most sympathetic thing I can say after enduring that whole film

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Just heard on the latest WHM episode that she auditioned for Furiosa in Fury Road. The mind reels.

There really are worse timelines than this one

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

RE: Nolanchat

his movies suck and they get worse every time you see them. Tenet is another level though, it's very likely the worst big-budget "blockbuster" style movie I've ever seen

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

RE: Nolanchat

his movies suck and they get worse every time you see them. Tenet is another level though, it's very likely the worst big-budget "blockbuster" style movie I've ever seen

Yeah Tenet was so annoying to watch with the awful sound mixing. The worst one for me though is still Sucker Punch.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Medullah posted:

Good for you. I only made it about 10 minutes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, from the LA Times review:

quote:

To suffer through this ordeal is not just to not laugh, it's to wonder if you will ever laugh again. It's to find it hard to remember what laughter is, or how it used to feel to do it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Bubble is literally Leslie Mann and Judd Apatow exaggerating stories from people they know about situations on sets during early Covid-era productions and casting their friends / selves. A lot of it is mimicking things on set that annoy people who have worked in movies but wasn't really translated to be funny to everyone else. I'm reasonably sure a chunk was written when they thought we'd immediately realize we were overreacting to Covid, and just depicting Covid stuff would be funny, and it's not (yet).

Recognizing all of those things, I still found jokes that were really funny to me. I didn't hate it. The cringy stuff is supposed to be cringy, which does not automatically convert the cringiness to quality, but I got what they were going for. An out of touch executive that is desperate to increase profits and pushing for a rewrite to incorporate an awful tiktok dance in the movie because tiktok is popular is exactly the kind of poo poo that is really happening. Was that scene funny by itself? No. But I thought the concept was, so it worked for me. I could name 10+ other moments like that.

I wouldn't push anyone to watch it, just felt like giving a dissenting opinion.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mulder has some funny bizarre lines but that's about that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well now I have to watch it holy poo poo

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I tend to think that Netflix Movie is a genre unto itself, in pretty much the same way that direct-to-video was its own genre back in the 90s. In an era where the major motion picture releases all seem incredibly over-produced, Netflix originals all mange to come off as very much under-produced. Every single one of them seems like they filmed the rough draft of the script, and only took a single pass through editing, and you have a bunch of movies that could be good with some rewrites and little bit of editing, but instead are kind of lovely. The Bubble is a pretty solid example of this, where it's just kind of a wandering, pointless movie, with occasional moments that would be funny in a better movie.

Stuff like the dancing is first presented as a joke, like it's the type of thing that Hollywood execs would do to try to promote a movie and capture a younger audience. But as the movie goes on there is a lot of dancing which isn't really motivated by much of anything story-wise, and it feels less and less like a joke, and more like it's really a thing they are trying to do.

The movie-within-a-movie is always depicted as a finished production which makes sense for one almost-joke, but otherwise is the flattest, dullest joke I've seen in a long time. Maybe if they had tied it into the actors' drug use or state of mind it might have worked as a gag, but that would have required a second pass at the script.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Jesus loving christ, Severance is a piling trash heap of poo poo. For everyone who has seen people in this thread talk about how amazing it is because it provides answers, it's all lies. In 8 episodes, absolutely jack poo poo happens. No answers are provided. It's just mysteries built upon mysteries. Strange poo poo happens just to happen. Just as I thought we were about to see something happen in the final episode, it ends. gently caress Ben Stiller and gently caress this show. I watched 8 episodes on the promise that poo poo would happen and that it would get good. It never did.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

Jesus loving christ, Severance is a piling trash heap of poo poo. For everyone who has seen people in this thread talk about how amazing it is because it provides answers, it's all lies. In 8 episodes, absolutely jack poo poo happens. No answers are provided. It's just mysteries built upon mysteries. Strange poo poo happens just to happen. Just as I thought we were about to see something happen in the final episode, it ends. gently caress Ben Stiller and gently caress this show. I watched 8 episodes on the promise that poo poo would happen and that it would get good. It never did.

For what it's worth, I think the series is nine episodes

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Nihonniboku posted:

There is another episode, and you were looking for reasons to hate it from the jump.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think a lot of you need to go for a walk outside

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

I think a lot of you need to go for a walk outside
Why, is something streaming out there?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

lmao there's another episode still to go my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martman posted:

Why, is something streaming out there?

Yeah, streams