Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cricket announcers absolutely love when a dude gets pegged in the ball sack, is something I have now learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so more baseball games are becoming online-only

https://twitter.com/CaptainRougie/status/1509570431572975619

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It amuses me that people say they want to watch more baseball without cable, and when they get it they get angry.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
legitimately a problem i have is that watching anything on streaming is a bit of a pain in the rear end with smart TV app designs, when baseball is something i want to throw on the TV in the background with like zero thought

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That’s why I like listening to it on the radio. It helps that I live in the market for the team I like but still.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Edward Mass posted:

It amuses me that people say they want to watch more baseball without cable, and when they get it they get angry.

I think the real issue is how it's split between multiple services. If you're a regular cable subscriber, now you need to go get Amazon Prime, or miss 21 games. Mostly I think people just want MLBTV to get rid of blackout rules, and it would be all good.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

cricket announcers absolutely love when a dude gets pegged in the ball sack, is something I have now learned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXxjX727g4

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think the real issue is how it's split between multiple services. If you're a regular cable subscriber, now you need to go get Amazon Prime, or miss 21 games. Mostly I think people just want MLBTV to get rid of blackout rules, and it would be all good.

Don’t forget the Friday doubleheaders exclusively Apple TV as well. They’re offering the games subscription-free for at least the first half IIRC, but there’s eventually either another 4.99 a month for a couple of your teams games or, more likely….you just watch less baseball, which seems like the end result of this balkanization of streaming rights.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Friday nights being taken off broadcast is perfect for me cause that's when I plays baseball! Do equal baseball

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
so are all these games not on MLBdotTV then? because that would really get my goat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mactheknife posted:

so are all these games not on MLBdotTV then? because that would really get my goat.

The Friday games on AppleTV+? I’m under the impression they won’t be simulcast there, only on Apple. Maybe they’ll put archives up?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this fuckin' sucks i am not signing up for another loving streaming service, i'm already paying a literally insane amount of money for Actual Cable so I can watch the loving marquee network, if in the next few years the cubs get good enough to get a ton of Apple Games i will be Cheesed Off.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

this fuckin' sucks i am not signing up for another loving streaming service, i'm already paying a literally insane amount of money for Actual Cable so I can watch the loving marquee network, if in the next few years the cubs get good enough to get a ton of Apple Games i will be Cheesed Off.

I’ve given up on watching the Cubs. I’m just doing radio now, and watching them whenever they happen to pop up on Fox, which isn’t often. Cubs aren’t worth paying for.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

it's very cool to pay for a league's network streaming service and still not get all the games

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mactheknife posted:

it's very cool to pay for a league's network streaming service and still not get all the games

I mean, that’s always been the case unless you live outside the US.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I’ve given up on watching the Cubs. I’m just doing radio now, and watching them whenever they happen to pop up on Fox, which isn’t often. Cubs aren’t worth paying for.

But today on Marquee you can watch the Brewers home broadcast because gently caress you that's why!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

But today on Marquee you can watch the Brewers home broadcast because gently caress you that's why!

Wait what? Why are they showing the brewers broadcast? Did marquee not send anyone for spring training?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I mean, that’s always been the case unless you live outside the US.

outside of blackout stuff i mean - i've never had any issues watching the white sox from louisiana unless they were in houston

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Wait what? Why are they showing the brewers broadcast? Did marquee not send anyone for spring training?

Yup, all the Sinclair family. They've done 3 or 4 of these (Marquee does the rest with hilariously bad production/sound issues) , and I'll bet biblical losses it's trial run for regular season games at some point to cut costs.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Ugh, I just want Gary, Keith, and Ron.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tim McCarver has officially retired

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I better not hear that annoying rear end in a top hat on random Cardinals games

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/1510004179233910789

seems like all of the wfan old guard has left in the past couple of years

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yup, all the Sinclair family. They've done 3 or 4 of these (Marquee does the rest with hilariously bad production/sound issues) , and I'll bet biblical losses it's trial run for regular season games at some point to cut costs.

Huh, Bally Midwest sent Dan McLaughlin/Jim Edmonds/Rick Ankiel down to Jupiter for Cards spring training. Danny Mac was all over Twitter about how great it was to be in a road booth again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Troy Queef posted:

Huh, Bally Midwest sent Dan McLaughlin/Jim Edmonds/Rick Ankiel down to Jupiter for Cards spring training. Danny Mac was all over Twitter about how great it was to be in a road booth again.

I wonder if Bally is scared they will lose contracts if they don't pick things up. I know the Pels are strongly considering someone else this offseason when their deal expires due to complaints from fans about both access and broadcast quality.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1510460564203577345

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That fuckin rules lol

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kibner posted:

I wonder if Bally is scared they will lose contracts if they don't pick things up. I know the Pels are strongly considering someone else this offseason when their deal expires due to complaints from fans about both access and broadcast quality.

Historically, the ownership of the network is belligerent towards complaints, and operates in the cheapest way possible. So, we'll see.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1511071837647683592

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Womens national championship did huge numbers

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1511356069423030272

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Awesome

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Womens national championship did huge numbers

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1511356069423030272

The men's tilt also was highly rated:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1511537531413803017?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

This number supposedly beats the NBA finals, the Grammys and the Oscars.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more online-only baseball

https://twitter.com/nbcsports/status/1511806979068547072?s=21&t=CXavwN4G6bT4NWNOkIdynA

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Watching Baseball on tv is going to get confusing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
So MLB is split between Peacock Premium (Sunday AM/Noon), ESPN (Sunday Night), TBS (Tuesday), Apple TV+ (Friday), and Fox (Saturday) on exclusive national games. This doesn't include playoffs.
In New York, Amazon Prime now has the exclusive rights to the previously OTA games that WPIX aired as well. Helps when you own a piece of YES. This makes the Mets the last team to have any game picked up on antenna locally.

This is going to confuse the hell out of people and there's likely a error or five in this. Happy Opening Day.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This is what you get when the sport is run by people who will chase every last short term dollar with zero regard for fans, health of the sport, and so on. It's so loving stupid and as much as I love the Yankees I'm not signing up for Apple and Peacock to watch every single game.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

on the plus side, katie nolan is going to work the apple games

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/1512118469797371904

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Island Nation posted:

So MLB is split between Peacock Premium (Sunday AM/Noon), ESPN (Sunday Night), TBS (Tuesday), Apple TV+ (Friday), and Fox (Saturday) on exclusive national games. This doesn't include playoffs.
In New York, Amazon Prime now has the exclusive rights to the previously OTA games that WPIX aired as well. Helps when you own a piece of YES. This makes the Mets the last team to have any game picked up on antenna locally.

This is going to confuse the hell out of people and there's likely a error or five in this. Happy Opening Day.

Don’t worry, it’s not like baseball audiences skew older, and even if it did, if there’s one thing older folks love and are great with its managing multiple digital platforms for streaming media!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vertical Lime posted:

on the plus side, katie nolan is going to work the apple games

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/1512118469797371904
I've got to hand it to Apple, those are some interesting broadcast teams.

quote:

Beginning Friday, April 8, the broadcast team of Melanie Newman (play-by-play), Chris Young (analyst), Hannah Keyser (analyst), and Brooke Fletcher (reporter) will call the New York Mets at the Washington Nationals at 7 p.m. ET; and Stephen Nelson (play-by-play), Hunter Pence (analyst), Katie Nolan (analyst), and Heidi Watney (reporter) comprise the crew that will call the Houston Astros at the Los Angeles Angels game at 9:30 p.m. ET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Don’t worry, it’s not like baseball audiences skew older, and even if it did, if there’s one thing older folks love and are great with its managing multiple digital platforms for streaming media!

On the other hand, considering the only way to watch virtually every baseball team in-market is through a cable subscription, which Gen Z and Millennials by and large do not have, spreading lots of baseball games across these streaming services that those generations ARE likely to have is a good way to get younger people to watch. In theory of course.

Continuing to cater to only your current customers is a good way to ensure that those will forever be your only customers.