Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

th3t00t posted:

But they kept Thom?

Thom isn't as important as Elayne or Elaida.
I won't be surprised if we see him again, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

Thom isn't as important as Elayne or Elaida.
I won't be surprised if we see him again, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't either.

Thom definitely filmed for S2. He was seen filming Foregate/Cairhien scenes a number of months ago.

I think some season 1 choices will make more sense once S2 drops.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I guess it was a gamble they thought was worth trying, since they were already kind of out on a limb with the diverse casting that they knew would draw criticism from loud idiots, so they might as well see if they can fake everybody out into thinking maybe Nynaeve or Perrin and not Generic White Guy might be the Dragon.

If the diverse casting was truly 'kind of out on a limb' then Rand wouldn't be white. That's one way they could make it so a 'generic white guy' wasn't the dragon.

I never understood why they tried to make Nynaeve possibly the dragon, given she isn't in the right age range. Maybe I missed something, or the show presented Moiraine's search a bit different (I thought she was specifically looking for people born during a certain period of time in the book, might be remembering that wrong though).

Invalid Validation posted:

Just seemed like a poor gimmick to try and hook people instead of using good writing/acting to make people care.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tezer posted:

If the diverse casting was truly 'kind of out on a limb' then Rand wouldn't be white. That's one way they could make it so a 'generic white guy' wasn't the dragon.

I never understood why they tried to make Nynaeve possibly the dragon, given she isn't in the right age range. Maybe I missed something, or the show presented Moiraine's search a bit different (I thought she was specifically looking for people born during a certain period of time in the book, might be remembering that wrong though).

The show changes it a bit so Moiraine knows the rough area but doesn't seem to have the same 'I know the time/date of the Dragon's birth' she does in the book. She and Lan seem to have come to Emond's field because of rumors of Ta'veren instead of following her list of babies/soldiers.

In general the show makes prophecy a lot more vague and prone to people not trusting it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm okay with prophecies being unclear considering how old they are. Something that annoys me about fantasy settings is how much many of them downplay the passage of vast amounts of time. The war of power is further in the past to them than ancient Greece is to us.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Current Shohreh Aghdashloo in WoT status

https://twitter.com/saghdashloo/status/1510024942242480132?s=21&t=_aQ5uP-LdDg_BsNv7DxSPQ

it’s not a no :pray:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

On a different note

I just got to Mat meeting Tuon on my latest relisten and he walks in, the dice in his head stop, he freezes and tries to figure out why, and one of the things he thinks is something like "usually a forsaken would jump out of a closet".

While he's standing half a room away from goddamn Semirhage. It's stuff like that which I just love.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

silvergoose posted:

On a different note

I just got to Mat meeting Tuon on my latest relisten and he walks in, the dice in his head stop, he freezes and tries to figure out why, and one of the things he thinks is something like "usually a forsaken would jump out of a closet".

While he's standing half a room away from goddamn Semirhage. It's stuff like that which I just love.

:vince: I missed that one

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

Personally I didn't like it and thought it was dumb and bad but maybe I got book reader bias :shrug:

Nah, same. I'm not 100% opposed to the idea in and of itself, but it wasn't handled well from start to finish. They didn't stick the landing for a variety of reasons, not all their fault, but it didn't work well nevertheless.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Cadsuane just said in a pov chapter that she doesn’t know what two of the fish and one of the moons on the ornament thingy in her hair does.

Isn’t that thing a ter’angreal? And what does it do?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

Cadsuane just said in a pov chapter that she doesn’t know what two of the fish and one of the moons on the ornament thingy in her hair does.

Isn’t that thing a ter’angreal? And what does it do?

I think each of the ornaments are separate ter'angreal. Some help detect channeling, including saidin. At least one I think is a well (lets her store some of the One Power inside it). I don't recall others off the top of my head.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's a paralis-net, it was a suite of useful things someone might need in combat. It seems like some sort of personal shield, location-sensing gear, emergency Power supply, basically anything you can think of that might be handy in combat. I'd hazard a guess there's a locator beacon tied into it too, though I would think whatever that signals has long since stopped listening.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Wiki has a rundown on the paralis net https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Paralis-net

quote:

A bird that looks "a little like a shrike" is an angreal, it is not very powerful but still steps her up to the top male level of strength, above any unaided woman [2]
A double ter'angreal in the shape of two intertwined crescent moons, facing one another and overlapping; they function like Mat's Foxhead medallion, causing flows directed at Cadsaune to dissipate[verify] and also warning that someone close is embracing the Power; they become cold, but do not distinguish between saidin and saidar (though they work on and warn of both). [3]
A ter'angreal in the shape of a hummingbird is a Well.[4] It is like a storage battery with a small but significant amount of power. It needs periodic recharging after use, but it wouldn’t run down on its own no matter how long the lapse between uses. It can be used in places shielded from the True Source like a Stedding or Far Madding.
A ter'angreal in the shape of an eight-pointed star with four long and four short wavy rays; it detects the ability of a man to channel within a distance of thirty or forty paces. But it did not identify which man inside that range could channel, only the presence of one. It vibrates in the presence of men who can channel, more so with increasing numbers.[5][6]
A ter'angreal in the shape of a bird that seems a swallow; it detects the use of every very small amount of saidin and saidar within as much as three miles; if held by its chain it would turn to point its beak to the direction of use. It can detect only saidin and saidar used alone, not combined[2]
A ter'angreal in the shape of a six-pointed star. When triggered it forms a thin "armor" against the skin of the wearer. This protection is invisible except to whoever is using it. It protects against the blows of swords, knifes, arrows and even maces because it dissipates the force of the blow over the entire body, thus reducing it.
A ter'angreal in the shape of a sleek fish with sharp fins. It enables the wearer to pull someone else into an involuntary circle under her/his control guiding the flows. It works only if the other person has already seized saidin or embraced saidar.
A ter'angreal in the shape of a shadowed moon: a full moon disc with a part chiselled leaving a brightly burnished crescent. Its use is unknown.
A ter'angreal in the shape of a leaping fish that looked like a trout. Its use is unknown.
A ter'angreal in the shape of a fish that looked like a carp. Its use is unknown.

Hexel posted:

Personally I didn't like it and thought it was dumb and bad but maybe I got book reader bias :shrug:

I agree, but on the other hand I thought it sounded like a really cool idea when I first heard they were doing it. Then a couple episodes in I changed my mind. They made it worse by including Egwene in that since the fear of a man who can channel, but one humanity cannot afford to gentle is a large part of what makes the dragon terrifying. It's not all of it, sure, but it's a large part of it. But the biggest problem was just how it affected the overall flow of the story. I don't think it worked. Maybe it could if they approached it differently, idk, but for me, at least, it didn't work well.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
it's funny when lews-rand(i think?) calls the name of it out and cads is shook

aha

Rand smiled. “And you’re wearing a full paralis-net in your hair, which includes a Well. I’m certain you

keep it full, and that should be enough to create a single gateway.”

Cadsuane’s face grew expressionless. “I’ve never heard of a paralis-net.”

“Cadsuane Sedai,” Rand said softly. “Your net has a few ornaments I don’t recognize—I suspect it is a

Breaking-era creation. But I was there when the first ones were designed, and I wore the original male

version.”

Brolander fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 2, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Brolander posted:

it's funny when lews-rand(i think?) calls the name of it out and cads is shook

"Oh a paralis net. Yeah I wore the first one, no biggie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

A ter'angreal in the shape of a sleek fish with sharp fins. It enables the wearer to pull someone else into an involuntary circle under her/his control guiding the flows. It works only if the other person has already seized saidin or embraced saidar.

While horrifying, I can absolutely see the reasoning in the circumstances.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Does anybody ever comment on it when Rand starts talking full on LTT having age of legends knowledge or do they just act extremely uncomfortable and ignore it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Elayne's like "that's a huge advantage" but otherwise they don't really go too far into it.

He talks about Dreamshards and speaks of his relationship with people from that time and the mistakes he made, but only a tiny bit.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
By the time we get to Zen Rand everybody's preparing for the very immanent Last Battle, so I figure they've got a lot on their plates.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And prior to that, when the man who is insanely powerful and has taken down several nations starts ranting about things he couldn't possibly know, do you REALLY want to challenge him?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Hexel posted:

Does anybody ever comment on it when Rand starts talking full on LTT having age of legends knowledge or do they just act extremely uncomfortable and ignore it?

Lanfear likes it. Rand doesn't talk to age of legends people that often. He's usually trying to kill them. Semirhage brings up you are hearing voices but she doesn't know its LTT not the general insanity. I think the Basheres who are around him generally try to brush it off, he's loving weird but he is who is so I have to put up with it and they don't have the context to know he's not being arbitrarily weird.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And prior to that, when the man who is insanely powerful and has taken down several nations starts ranting about things he couldn't possibly know, do you REALLY want to challenge him?

:colbert: I would have a million questions

And my first question would be: do you know the song?

Isn’t there a point after the Dragonmount epiphany when he becomes Zen Rand when all kinds of poo poo starts growing around him like crops and trees and stuff?

Hexel fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 2, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Did anyone leak why mat left? Because he was one of my favorite parts of the season lmao

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm okay with prophecies being unclear considering how old they are. Something that annoys me about fantasy settings is how much many of them downplay the passage of vast amounts of time. The war of power is further in the past to them than ancient Greece is to us.

The foretelling Moiraine heard about the dragon (in the book) was the exact date and location of his birth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's been kept very, very quiet. Personal reasons is the understood reason, what those are has yet to be revealed. Maybe it was vaccines, but there's been absolutely nothing concrete.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That sucks

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Hexel posted:

:colbert: I would have a million questions

And my first question would be: do you know the song?

Isn’t there a point after the Dragonmount epiphany when he becomes Zen Rand when all kinds of poo poo starts growing around him like crops and trees and stuff?

There's a few. One right after Dragonmount, where he makes the apple orchard bloom.

But regarding Singing, he is shielded while in a meeting with Tuon and quietly Sings some plants into bloom to intimidate/confuse/try and convince the Seanchan he can channel despite the shield, or something like that.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

^ ^ ^ There's also a scene where he walks out to the meeting in the middle of Merrilor Field and there's just a trail of lush green grass and blooming flowers behind him everywhere he steps.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Did anyone leak why mat left? Because he was one of my favorite parts of the season lmao

The most official word on the topic anyone's said went like this:

"Is that something you can talk about?"
"Nope."
"K then."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I hope he's OK, I read it as him or someone close to him being very unwell.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Last I knew vaccines were one of the few causes you could rule out since the timeline didn't make sense for that as a cause. Sounds like something personal though, rather than job issues.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

He also apparently vanished from all social media at the time, and AFAIK has not yet resurfaced.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That's either a sex-pestin' or a breakdown.

Have they cast Elayne yet? It occurred to me that her name sounds sufficiently close to Egwene that she might get Yara Greyjoyed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You'd think if it was sex pestery someone would have spoken up by now. I figured his life fell apart and they're all staying silent out of respect.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That's either a sex-pestin' or a breakdown.

Have they cast Elayne yet? It occurred to me that her name sounds sufficiently close to Egwene that she might get Yara Greyjoyed.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7969428/

Yes, this person.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

And since she's listed as Elayne Trakand on IMDB, I think we can rule out a name change,

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

I'm with you on Min, though. One of the most fun things about Min's prophecies is getting an early clue and then looking to see the results over time. Using her to predict things that happen in the next or same episode makes the whole thing less fun. But now that they've introduced her, it's pretty likely that she'll be there in Tar Valon when the Wondergirls convene for the first time, so there's an opportunity to do her prophecies right this time.

Min was handled fine. They introduced her visions by validating them through knowing things she couldn't possibly know. Now, when she knows something that we don't know but doesn't go into specifics we will have the mysteries.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Sanderson has been asked about it a couple times and given the language used in his responses it leads me to believe there was some kind of misbehavior or even a mental health issue.

I believe the last time he said: "things were happening with Barney" as he shifted uncomfortably.

I could be 100% wrong, no one knows anything except the cast and apparently Brando but my own judgment based on what's been said leads me to believe it wasn't covid or some kind of family emergency.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Worst change they made was making mat an irredeemable thief instead of a rapscallion.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Worst change they made was making mat an irredeemable thief instead of a rapscallion.

Not sure why you would call him irredeemable. Yes he stole, but he used it buy lanterns so his sisters could participate in the village ceremony - not exactly the most heinous motive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:colbert: Every party needs a Rogue.