Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This, but unironically

I think the only one pretending here is your dumb rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

to be completely fair to someone who probably doesn't deserve it, on gearth it's blocked off by a gate. Even so, he's just whining and deflecting

Yeah that seemed likely. Everyone is so protective of their parking and property that space goes unused like that even as people fight over streets and bike lanes.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
https://twitter.com/homarusboi/status/1509857365318905858?t=xp7VREbuwstHb_pnTNQGrA&s=19

One time I had to wait in that Omaha station for hours and it was so depressing

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I think the only one pretending here is your dumb rear end

:qq:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Beyond ReTarTed. posted:

it doesn't make sense how that place is basically unchanged from the 1970s

The midwest is pretty much like that, hell even large parts of Chicago feel lost somewhere in the 20th century.

To be honest, the US overall just feels old.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

https://twitter.com/homarusboi/status/1509857365318905858?t=xp7VREbuwstHb_pnTNQGrA&s=19

lol St. Louis's old Union Station (now an Aquarium after it was a failed mall)

St. Louis's current train station

Also here's Munich's

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

Something I've noticed and it may just be a confirmation bias is that the north in general and NE in particular seemed and even kinda still does have way more beautiful public places than the south. My superficial read was that the south would rather wallow in poo poo than have anything that could remotely enjoyed by non-whites. I'm probably just imagining it though. But if I'm not, the north seems to be following suit anyway

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Something I've noticed and it may just be a confirmation bias is that the north in general and NE in particular seemed and even kinda still does have way more beautiful public places than the south. My superficial read was that the south would rather wallow in poo poo than have anything that could remotely enjoyed by non-whites. I'm probably just imagining it though. But if I'm not, the north seems to be following suit anyway

My guess is it's driven by post segregation. The south didn't want any commons because you know who might be there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Southeast was much more agrarian than the Northeast, so urbanization came much later and isn't as central to our culture/history. Segregation is a great point, plus the general conservative resistance to anything communal. We also lost one of our biggest cities to a fire in 1864 lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Zerg Mans posted:

Also here's Munich's

I've been to that station a hundred times if I've been there once. Wasted many hours there waiting for a train. It feels like a nice mall compared to Chicago's two train stations. I remember that Austria was in the process of completely renovating/modernizing all of the country's main train stations. Salzburg's station is incredible, and it's only a city the size of a large suburb in southern California or Texas.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

skooma512 posted:

I took my car in for maintenance and to repair a tire. Mechanic said the valve cover gasket should be replaced, I say ok, he does it. Now my car smells like burning oil all the time despite no leaks or smoke. I take it back, he can't smell anything because of course he can't, he's constantly immersed in oil. Went all the way across town for this and came back with no result. Now that's just gonna be broken forever I guess, no more fresh air through the blower at a stop.

dude got some oil on your manifold, it'll burn off soon enough but it'll stink 'til it does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The South was straight up a feudal society until 1865.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Arguably, it was still a semi-feudal society afterward as well and industrialization would continue to lag versus the North by 1900. That said, the south did have public infrastructure like Terminal Station in Atlanta...it just got flattened during the post-war era.

The difference may be there there is marginally more left of that infrastructure in the West/North because there was still enough of a will to utilize it. Even in LA, Union Station continued to be an active Amtrak hub, and the North East preserved most of its stations (except for the tragedy of Penn station).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Horace posted:

dude got some oil on your manifold, it'll burn off soon enough but it'll stink 'til it does.

It's been 3 weeks and I (to my increasing levels of paranoia and anxiety) drive it pretty much everyday. :shrug:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

I've been to that station a hundred times if I've been there once. Wasted many hours there waiting for a train. It feels like a nice mall compared to Chicago's two train stations. I remember that Austria was in the process of completely renovating/modernizing all of the country's main train stations. Salzburg's station is incredible, and it's only a city the size of a large suburb in southern California or Texas.

I remember being at one of the main transit stations in Vienna, that had light rail service ina ddition to the subways, either Westbahnhof or Bahnhof Meidling. It was pretty dope, due to time zone shifts I was always up at 5 am, so you would be there and all the shops would open, and the smell of fresh baked pastries, rolls, etc. was everywhere

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Zerg Mans posted:

Also here's Munich's

This is a good one. Here's a shot from inside Leipzig's Hauptbahnhof right after Christmas too

Bonus shot from the pedestrianized city center :feelsgood:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Stations can looks cool

mystes
May 31, 2006

A lot of those cool looking train stations aren't very efficient uses of space. I would honestly prefer that they use the space better because that would probably actually make them more pleasant to spend time in than having a huge atrium.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I think a little bit of excess is okay when it comes to trains

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean it's much better than using it for non-train stuff, it's just I don't want them to optimize for having cool atriums at the cost of the stations actually being usable

There are a fair amount of train stations with cool atriums in the US that actually suck to use

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's actually cool sorry

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the atrium at the Ogilvie Station in Chicago is the only thing I really remember about it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am okay with atriums in trains stations, I just hate massive boondoggle airports where it takes an hour to get from end to the other (I am looking at you Istanbul).

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

i get crown fried chicken in that portland plaza regularly. bomb rear end vietnamese food across the street too

it's one of portland's greatest tragedies that the beautiful train station got torn down. the whole city used to have amazing streets lined with trees (they still try to call it forest city lol) and even streetcars to get around downtown too. now it's entirely car based outside of a few streets with bike lanes, incl. one with those hosed up separated lanes that confuses idiot drivers

oh and to get to the current train station - located on the outskirts of town of course - you only have to walk across one of the busiest 4 lane roads where literally everybody drives 10-20mph over the speed limit because that's also where a bunch of interstate exits are. very accessible

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Netflix has added a few episodes of "Hajimete no Otsukai" which is an old show that follows little kids in Japan as they run their first errand. It's featured briefly in this clip about the same topic:

https://youtu.be/P7YrN8Q2PDU

We've stolen so much freedom from kids.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/notjustbikes/status/1510029011619045378?t=UVh8z_MATXCTYrd8j5db7w&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Netflix has added a few episodes of "Hajimete no Otsukai" which is an old show that follows little kids in Japan as they run their first errand. It's featured briefly in this clip about the same topic:

Just imagine a US version where all of the kids are run over or taken away from their children by the end of the episode.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

incredible. especially since the US national myth is self-reliance, every person for themself...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

incredible. especially since the US national myth is self-reliance, every person for themself...

I know, right

At the same time we stereotype asian countries as lacking individualism

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
A friend of mine tells a story of being told off by a tinker kid while bartender

This 6-8 yr old kid walking through a bar and my mate taps him on the shoulder and asks him

"Hey there kid can I help you find mum and dad?"

To which the kid replies
" They over there *points* and I'll thank you not to touch me again"

I hope if I even have kids they are like that

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Just parking and ordering inside is so much faster than waiting in a crowded drive thru.

not all the time. been to places where they would prioritize cars in the drive thru over people inside lmao

dumb car brained country

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

My guess is it's driven by post segregation. The south didn't want any commons because you know who might be there.

Yea it's probably just racism. Nothing else to consider, just a huge homogenous force of society that is really focused on the skin color of <15% of the population and nothing else at all. You've figured it out.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I am okay with atriums in trains stations, I just hate massive boondoggle airports where it takes an hour to get from end to the other (I am looking at you Istanbul).

Atriums are fine in large stations but most small ones would be better off being cost engineered into something incredibly simple. Most stations don't need mezzanines (especially underground!!) and would be totally sufficient as a couple of platforms, a ticket office/bathroom/couple of shops, some lifts and a walkway.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

e.g. this sort of high speed rail station is how you actually get one built for an acceptable cost

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
That is what 90% of Italian train stations look like as well yeah, outside of the main transit hubs

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mortons stork posted:

That is what 90% of Italian train stations look like as well yeah, outside of the main transit hubs

that's >90% of train stations period, lol. Never before have I heard anyone complain that major train stations are wasting space. We should build train stations to be grand and spectacular in order to glorify mass transit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea it's probably just racism. Nothing else to consider, just a huge homogenous force of society that is really focused on the skin color of <15% of the population and nothing else at all. You've figured it out.

I know libs pretending to solve racism with tokenism infuriates you, but as someone who attended a school built for the purpose of desegregation yes racist governments in the south actively defunded and destroyed public commons in response to desegregation.

Stop being a racist piece of poo poo, please.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i rode my new bike to work today becaus eit was nice out

here is a picture of it leaning casually and triumphantly against its retired, deprecated enemy:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I am a friend of Jamis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gripweed posted:

The South was straight up a feudal society until 1865.

I think you mean 1964