Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ardeem posted:

“Friend Heloise wants for a sister” makes me think Mozz thinks Heloise is trying to set Kadia up with her brother, and not with herself.

I read that as just to be adopted into the family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey gang, I'm alive!

Hooray!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

The short version is that my ISP pushed a firmware update that broke everyone's modems. Thoughts and prayers to the Frontier service people who now have to go to EVERYONE'S HOUSE and manually apply a patch to fix the modems.

thank you for this new work nightmare

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Well, I see it hasn't gotten any less boring since the last time I looked at it. Even looking at an entire week of it at once, it's slow. And looking at just a single day's strip, it's basically nothing.

Ardeem posted:

“Friend Heloise wants for a sister” makes me think Mozz thinks Heloise is trying to set Kadia up with her brother, and not with herself.
Yeah, I think that's been her plan for a while. I don't recall Kadia actually even meeting Kit though? I think it was all just a sort of perfect world fantasy of Heloise's.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vargo posted:

All the talk about the FOOB storyline, and the frustration around legacy comics being taken over by webcomics people made me decide to bring back Heart of the City.

Heart of the City was originally made by Mark Tatuli of Lio fame but when he put down the pen a year or so ago, it was taken over by webcomic artist Steenz. I think our total response when I originally started posting it after the reboot was that it was.... fine. Not amazing, not terrible, some people didn't like the art.

Now, a little over a year later, I'm not going to say Heart's amazing, but it can carry a storyline, use text boxes effectively, have queer characters, maintain a standard art level daily, and make nerd references that make sense for characters. This makes it the best possible outcome of the webtoons-to-newspaper-toons pipeline, I think.

We're in the middle of a new storyline that started in March, so I'll post in batches from the beginning of the storyline until we catch up, then add it to my daily posts. (Do not ask me who these characters are, I only kind of followed this comic until today.

Heart of the City

The problem with this strip is that the art is so chunky, like the characters look like they can barely fit in the frame and are just squeezed in there

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
And if Kadia's never met Kit, why would she kill herself over him?

Mozz really is just making this poo poo up as he goes, isn't he?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey gang, I'm alive! My internet was out for almost three weeks. :negative:

:toot:

quote:

Thank you JethroMcB for keeping us all up to date on Luann while I was out.

I'm free! Back to posting occasional edits (or I go find a strip that needs to get added back to the rotation...funny enough, I considered adding Heart of the City to the mix when I was grabbing Luann.)

Kennel posted:

Also I want to share this one I saw while going through the older strips:

Every time there's a complaint about New Nancy I think we can just return to this particular strip and know that "nancy and her interchangeable friends are snippy with one another" is an improvement.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 16-17, 1991)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b3eYaGwqzI

Old School Peanuts (Jun 17, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 29-30, 1990)

Personally I'd be entertained as hell that a student actually thought to call me of all people and ask. Everybody in this comic is so grumpy I swear.

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 5, 1934)

Peanuts (April 4, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 1, 1938)

And now, for the second year running...we go BACK TO THE FUTURE! (Of the past.)

Beginning with Out Our Ways of Future Past With The Willets (September 15, 1974)

And since I'm using this as an excuse to aimlessly mill around, here's a Toonerville Folks we won't otherwise be getting around to for awhile, which shows what Fontaine Fox can do with a Sunday section and a looser style. (August 26, 1945)

Oh wait a minute, there's something else on this page...

Anyway, Dok's Diplomacy Gunboat (January 12, 1914; spoilered for the usual reasons)

Blondie (From Zero) (October 15-17, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 2, 2022

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Julet Esqu posted:

You know, there's a lot that the rando you get on the phone can do for you if you're not an rear end in a top hat to them. I wonder if Kelley has ever gotten a string pulled for him in his life.

There's a non-zero chance professional cartoonist Steve Kelley, creator of the Reuben Award-winning strip "Dustin" has played the "Do you know who I am?" game before, and often to people who really can't do what he's demanding.

(And good to see you back!)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i re-read some of Lawrence's Story just now and uhhh

we're uhhhh

in for a rough month

riderchop fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 2, 2022

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Rootless Market

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: I'm sure those Bush and Reagan guys are never gonna gently caress up the country get elected for anything important. (and what's with everyone's favorite color being blue?)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 2, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Minimalist Nancy was a good larf.

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry learns the importance of networking, or Say... this Kelly fella doesn't seem like a very nice fella... or

Time for a long note - I've done a considerable bit of editing here, but I hope with this explanation, you'll understand why. Now, I have Cartridge saying that Blueberry might be able to escape half-way on the route between El Paso and Francisville and hide in maybe the Driskill mountains. Originally, the text has Cartridge recommend Blueberry hide himself in the Rockies. As far as I can tell, there is no 'Francisville' in Alabama but let's say for arguments' sake that it is in the middle of Alabama. Alabama to El Paso is about 1,240 miles. Alabama to the closest Rocky Mountain range is about 1,285 miles. This is something like telling a person who is on a trip from Pskov to Munich to escape half-way and hide among the Alps. Also, when Blueberry is first getting taken from the prison, they mention that they will be first going by wagon to Topeka, Kansas. Again, from the center of Alabama to Topeka is about 850 miles North-East so... why wouldn't they get a closer train? Anyways, it's not just the geography of the U.S.A. that gets a bit... 'pants-on-head-crazy' in this story... you'll see...

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Okay, Mozz, but-"
"No."
"What about-"
"No."
"You aren't even-"
"No!"
":mad:"
":colbert:"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Mozz missed his chance to reveal this was a very elaborate April Fool's joke. :argh:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 25, 2000)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Okay, Mozz, but-"
"No."
"What about-"
"No."
"You aren't even-"
"No!"
":mad:"
":colbert:"

Remind me, this is all still because Mozz doesn't want Phantom to break Savarna out of jail, right? Did Mozz and Savarna just have a secret, really bad break-up?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Good Lord, I was actually amused by a Crankshaft. Must be some April Fool's Day magic.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/1/02

Double Collins

Brenda Starr 6/20/48

Smokey Stover 2/4/47

Everyday Movies 1/2/35

"I'll tell you one thing, Parker. I'm not going to be so darn foolish this year as I was last."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

i read some of the Lawrence's Story just now and uhhh

we're uhhhh

in for a rough month
Week 3: Michael have you heard of this it's called poppers

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 25, 2000)

Oh you endearing horndogs, you.

I suppose we should be very glad there was never a crossover between this comic and Jucika

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Murdstone posted:

So I guess this FOOB story was a 90's "Dare I draw a Negro?" moment.

Dare I?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Heart of the The City

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! April 14, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 14, 1919

Cat Tales March 20, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 23, 1936

Mopsy December 1, 1937

Up Front March 1, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 12, 1952

Those Were the Days October 15, 1959

Wee Pals June 15, 1966

Dogbert February 22, 1967

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Slammy posted:

And He Did! April 14, 1919

I'm amused by how many of these strips are someone going "I'll do this totally reasonable normal thing" and then it's a huge disaster for no clear reason.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 23, 1950)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "128 - Jucika's Kick-off"

"129 - Jucika And The Csárdás"

"Csárdás is a traditional Hungarian folk dance."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Fun at the castle

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Selachian posted:

Double Collins

Comic Strips 2022: Nowadays, we're always so proud of our strange, unpleasant son.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

...and I'll probably be cancelled for saying so.

Haifisch posted:

b]Origins of the Sunday Comics[/b]

That's a precursor to Gertie the Dinosaur!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Andertoons hasn't been updating. This happens at the beginning of the month pretty often.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Thus ending the cycle of violence. What's your point, Mozz?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"Your grandchildren will live happy, peaceful lives without sleepless nights dreading that their parents have been murdered and that they will now have to to carry on the tradition of living short lives full of violence and revenge!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Of course it wasn't going to go anywhere more interesting than, "Knock it off," "Oh, okay." Hope you're not all too disappointed!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Rex Morgan is kinda weird and interesting in that occasionally they just drop a casual murder bomb in the middle of the most boring poo poo in the world. :allears:

Another laugh at Mark Trail today, Jules is one of those "April Fools ends when I say it does" criminals I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Oh, and Dr. Farthing. He got over his gambling problem, but the bookies beat him to death anyway. So, he's dead. That's it. Bye!"

I should rewatch Dirty Work.