Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

KS posted:

I got very used to a single 32" 4K USB-C monitor when I got my work M1. On an arm to get it decently close, with Rectangle installed, I was able to use it as 4 16" 1080P monitors and it works really well for me. I think it is substantially better than the 34 ultrawides I used previously.

I use an M1 Pro now and still keep the setup. Mine's a Lenovo ThinkVision P32p-20. It's great but not really recommended due to price, work gets massive discounts.

this is cool. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smythe posted:

apple m1 non-pro can only support 1 external monitor....

oh lol sorry i missed that

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of mounting my monitor to the wall to free up space on my desk. Couple of things I'm trying to figure out

1. There's a stud in the wall just slightly off centre of my desk. Would a low profile mount would make more sense here rather than an arm? My desk isn't very deep so I want the monitor as close to the wall as possible.

2. My monitor is one of those super thin ones without VESA mounts. I've seen some retrofit brackets being used, should I used these or should I get a monitor with VESA? Current monitor is a bog standard 24 inch LG 60Hz

3. I am thinking of mounting a second monitor above my current one. Do people normally get a second mount for that or are there over/under mounts? Most of those I see are meant to go side to side.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
This just popped up on the Dell US site:

Dell 32 4K UHD Gaming Monitor - G3223Q
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-32-4k-uhd-gaming-monitor-g3223q/apd/210-bdbk/monitors-monitor-accessories

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Looks nice. I like the positioning of the USB ports.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

let's wait for the patented dell permanent discount to see what the real price ends up being, because nobody should pay $1100 for a basic 4K fake-hdr gaming monitor.

the price in other regions have been closer to $600 iirc

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It seems like more than just a gaming monitor though, as it has factory calibration guarantees and decent P3 coverage and sRGB coverage (doesn't mention the percentage, but I would hope it's 99-100%+). It also has a decent USB hub and typical Dell stand. The equivalent Eve Spectrum is $800, $900 with stand, is 27" vs 32", and from reports I've read has almost 0 customer service and has quality issue (but I believe it is a bit brighter and guarantees better factory calibration). This 32" 4k BenQ is $700 but only 60 Hz, and while I believe its color coverage is a bit better, it also has less of a factory calibration guarantee. I see an Acer 27" 4k 144hz but it's close to $700, has less color space coverage, 27" vs 32" and no calibration guarantee (as far as I can tell). LG's comparable monitor seems to be around $800 for 27".

So while it is probably a bit overpriced, it's probably not by that much. It seems tough to find alternatives if you want 32", 4K, 144 Hz and decent color, and if you want to check all those same boxes @ 27" it looks like you're paying at least $700-800 but with some compromises.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The gigabyte M32U is another alternative

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Splinter posted:

It seems like more than just a gaming monitor though, as it has factory calibration guarantees and decent P3 coverage and sRGB coverage (doesn't mention the percentage, but I would hope it's 99-100%+). It also has a decent USB hub and typical Dell stand. The equivalent Eve Spectrum is $800, $900 with stand, is 27" vs 32", and from reports I've read has almost 0 customer service and has quality issue (but I believe it is a bit brighter and guarantees better factory calibration). This 32" 4k BenQ is $700 but only 60 Hz, and while I believe its color coverage is a bit better, it also has less of a factory calibration guarantee. I see an Acer 27" 4k 144hz but it's close to $700, has less color space coverage, 27" vs 32" and no calibration guarantee (as far as I can tell). LG's comparable monitor seems to be around $800 for 27".

So while it is probably a bit overpriced, it's probably not by that much. It seems tough to find alternatives if you want 32", 4K, 144 Hz and decent color, and if you want to check all those same boxes @ 27" it looks like you're paying at least $700-800 but with some compromises.

The M32U has all of those minus the "factory calibration guarantee" whatever that means, but it is factory calibrated to an acceptable degree.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The M32U has all of those minus the "factory calibration guarantee" whatever that means, but it is factory calibrated to an acceptable degree.

Some monitors will guarantee the factory calibration is within a certain Delta E range. This Dell is saying ΔE < 2 (while that BenQ is only guaranteeing < 3, for example). Generally, without a guarantee, you might get a good factory calibration, or you might not.

But even ignoring that, this Dell is also brighter (both on the specs sheet 350 vs 400 and given the HDR 400 vs 600 cert) and has 5% better P3 coverage. The amount of people that want both 144 Hz while also caring about color accuracy to that degree (while not also having either hardware calibration tool or a separate monitor for their color related work) may be low, but on paper at least it looks to be a better panel and monitor overall. I don't think it would be unreasonable priced at say $900 $850 in the current landscape where the M32U is $800 $740

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
dell is making 2560x1600 monitors again with lg's new "ips black" panels that are supposed to offer more contrast but they're only 60hz

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

butt dickus posted:

dell is making 2560x1600 monitors again with lg's new "ips black" panels that are supposed to offer more contrast

:buddy:

butt dickus posted:

but they're only 60hz

:smithicide:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the ones i'm seeing are also still at least double the cost of a high-refresh 2560x1440 monitor

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

butt dickus posted:

dell is making 2560x1600 monitors again with lg's new "ips black" panels that are supposed to offer more contrast but they're only 60hz

Just because the thread might find this interesting, these kind of monitors are amazing for displaying radiographic images and usually the monitors in the rad areas are by far the best. So there's a very real industry use case for them. 60hz seems on brand for dell.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vinny Teoh has a follow up post about the sub-pixel layout on the QD-OLEDs and the text rendering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgUosc-64U

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cygni posted:

Vinny Teoh has a follow up post about the sub-pixel layout on the QD-OLEDs and the text rendering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgUosc-64U

seems like there are a few more trade offs than i expected. i can’t afford one anyway but it is a bit disappointing.

im sure it still smashes as a dark room gaming monitor but that’s no longer a primary focus for me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wonder if the grey blacks are bad as they look, because deep blacks are one of the main selling points of oleds

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

seems like there are a few more trade offs than i expected. i can’t afford one anyway but it is a bit disappointing.

:same: Seems like the subpixel layout / font might be the least of my concerns.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What order would you rank these monitors in terms of least backlight bleed and IPS glow? Are all of them basically acceptable? As always, photos make things look worse.

Coke can

Keyboard

Glasses

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 1, 2022

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

What order would you rank these monitors in terms of least backlight bleed and IPS glow? Are all of them basically acceptable? As always, photos make things look worse.

Coke can

Keyboard

Glasses

Do you notice any problems when using the monitors under normal conditions or is staring at a black screen a typical use case for you?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Can't say how bad they are overall since camera exposure levels always make IPS Glow look worse, but when compared against each other, the middle (keyboard) one is the obvious worst, and it's a toss-up between the other two, trading off between whether the top left corner or bottom left corner is worse. I think I'd say the top one is least bad? I dunno.

And this isn't to say the middle one is unacceptable either. Again, it's impossible to say through photographs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
years ago someone told me that i should have the lights on when i'm on the computer for my eyes and i've never really broken that habit since LEDs came into vogue.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm the same, It's one thing when you're in a Cinema but I don't like using my TV or Computer in a dark or even dim room.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
feels much more humane to be in a nicely lit room rather than a dungeon. Although sometimes when I’m watching dark rear end shows on streaming the compression is so dog poo poo I need to turn off the lights so I can make anything out through the crushed to poo poo blacks.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Only time I ever used a screen in a dark room was when my wife was asleep.

Been divorced since 2005, though, so I’ll shut up and retreat to my (well-lot, cozy) Gooncave now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use my computer with the lights off just about every single night. I have the blue dialed down, sure, but I don't get why people have a bias against using screens in the dark.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As a kid I could do that no problem, but now it's literally painful.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I use my computer with the lights off just about every single night. I have the blue dialed down, sure, but I don't get why people have a bias against using screens in the dark.

It's one of those things that you really appreciate once you get some kind of backlighting. I recommend a USB light strip on the back edge of the desk, total game changer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm definitely not a kid, but I do have a circadian disorder which makes me naturally nocturnal, so maybe I have a higher tolerance to it than a normal person might have.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You don't need a backlight if you put everything on dark mode.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's almost like different people have different tolerances and preferences. What's not to get?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
IPS glow is nothing compared to just getting your colour settings right. I was about to buy new monitors for Tarkov because I could barely see in dark areas, and a bit of tweaking on ancient HP ZR's made an enormous difference. RTings had me rationalizing 3x1 Samsung 1m radius monitors to get good black levels and that's nearly as absurd as a Scorpion.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

It's one of those things that you really appreciate once you get some kind of backlighting. I recommend a USB light strip on the back edge of the desk, total game changer.
I bought a LED light strip during a Costco holiday sale back in like 2020. Maybe now I finally have a use for it? :thunk:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I bought a light bar that clips to the top of my monitor and illuminates my workspace. Has a couple warm or cool settings and a sensor for brightness. Has definitely helped reduce strain from just using bad overhead lights.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5
GeForce GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC 6GB,
16GB RAM,
ASRock B450 motherboard.

Current monitor: ASUS VZ2-9H 27in 1080p / 60hz IPS monitor.

I posted earlier about getting a second monitor and debating instead about going to 1440p but I've decided since then I just want a second monitor when I'm gaming so I can pull up reference stuff like maps or wiki's or watch youtube videos without having to alt+tab, plus for general productivity.

What are my options here if I want to keep my original monitor also? I imagine my two options in general are to buy something somewhat cheaper since it would be a secondary monitor anyways, or other option would be to upgrade a bit from my current monitor and using my existing one as the second, but I dont know what would be considered a "step up" from my current 1080p / 60hz IPS that isnt a higher resolution or framerate (unless I can somehow run two monitors with different resolutions and framerates but that doesn't sound possible or appealing?)

I'm in Canada if it makes any difference. Also, sort of off topic, but does anyone know of a megathread for advice on getting a webcam?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 2, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Different resolutions and refresh rates is entirely fine. There are issues where if you have the second screen updating (most noticeable with video) the primary screen will get delayed refreshes to sync up with it, but MS has done a bunch to fix the issue.

What games are you playing? Do you plan on upgrading your system any time soon? It's really hard to recommend anything short of a 1440p high refresh VRR monitor for gaming at this point, but if you're playing relatively demanding games and/or don't expect you can/will get a GPU in the near-ish future, maybe 1080p VRR makes sense for you. The other thing is, you may be able to get a really cheap used 1080p 60hz monitor if you want to keep things on a budget until you can justify a beefier GPU and a better monitor.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah go on facebook market or craigslist or something, someone will almost certainly be selling a 22-25 inch 1080p 60Hz monitor for pocket change.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I just sold my old 1440p 27” IPS to a friend, who unbeknownst to all of us has been using a 17” 4:3 1280x1024 monitor for all these years for some horrifying reason. And he’s been working from home pretty much exclusively since the pandemic began.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Lord Bude posted:

I just sold my old 1440p 27” IPS to a friend, who unbeknownst to all of us has been using a 17” 4:3 1280x1024 monitor for all these years for some horrifying reason. And he’s been working from home pretty much exclusively since the pandemic began.

not a ton of real estate, of course, but the dpi isn't that far removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My first LCD was a Planar in that size/rez :kiddo: