Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Fool posted:

I worked at HQ and it was always with middle/upper management. They always tried to make them relevant even though we were 300 miles from the nearest job site.

Stuff like "You should learn cpr"

and "the cutoff date for studded tires is next week"

and "be careful eating peanut butter with a spoon"

Those are all real examples.

Having office drones all know CPR (and how to operate the AED) is realistically the thing most likely to save your life in the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

I know more than one person who's gotten drunk while grilling and burnt real good

You know those PSAs every year about people setting their house on fire deepfrying a turkey? A few years ago, a senior member of the local fire department burned his house to the ground doing that.
Literally entire rule on deepfrying a turket "don't do it next to your house."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CitizenKain posted:

You know those PSAs every year about people setting their house on fire deepfrying a turkey? A few years ago, a senior member of the local fire department burned his house to the ground doing that.
Literally entire rule on deepfrying a turket "don't do it next to your house."

The smaller electric ones are what I use. You can only stick a 12-13lb bird in there but you don't need as much oil and you probably won't start a giant grease explosion

mmmm fried turkey

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see the value in the whole company knowing what the safety precautions are for working on an offshore rig if that's your industry. If you ever had to work with someone who is on a rig and you ask them to go and check something, knowing how much PPE they have to put on to do that can provide context into why it's taking so long, or help you decide what order to check things in, ordered from least to most pain-in-the-rear end.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Fool posted:

My last job had a division that did oilfield services. "Safety Culture" was a huge thing for them and it bled into just about everything they did.

They started every meeting with a "safety moment" where the speaker would give some give some safety tip or anecdote and it would always be stuff like that

Hey I think I worked for the same company 5-6 years ago. Even the IT departments were sticklers for safety, which I think is a good thing. No standing on chairs, hanging off of server racks, carrying way too much for one person, etc. Plenty of times people could simply throw their arms up and not complete a task because it wasn't safe for one person so it just wouldn't get done lol

Even well after I left I still think about safety is most aspects of my life, so I guess it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not a bad thing. It's easy to think you're invincible and wonder how you'd ever get hurt in an IT job but it doesn't take a lot. I know I annoyed someone at a previous job because I wouldn't go up a step ladder to work on a comms cabinet that was at 90 degrees to where you'd be facing, and then rack a heavy PoE switch, but if you tweak your back doing that sort of twist then you're carrying the injury for the rest of your life. Worst case is that you then fall off the ladder and do even more damage.

It's not worth it, move your cabinets to accessible locations or have a Genie lift available for people.

I remember a guy who used to do manual handling training and step 1 on how to move things safely was to see if you could just get someone else to do it for you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

The AV program shouldn't have to be worked around, IMO. If you're making a .bat for something (and I have) because it's the simplest way to do something, it shouldn't automatically trigger an AV alarm. The AV program should be smart enough to know that the .bat isn't malicious (how? no idea. I'm not an AV guy).

AV programs shouldn't care at all about file extensions because malicious actors will just change them to .txt. They have to actually observe what those files are doing to the system and try to intervene.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not a bad thing. It's easy to think you're invincible and wonder how you'd ever get hurt in an IT job but it doesn't take a lot. I know I annoyed someone at a previous job because I wouldn't go up a step ladder to work on a comms cabinet that was at 90 degrees to where you'd be facing, and then rack a heavy PoE switch, but if you tweak your back doing that sort of twist then you're carrying the injury for the rest of your life. Worst case is that you then fall off the ladder and do even more damage.

It's not worth it, move your cabinets to accessible locations or have a Genie lift available for people.

I remember a guy who used to do manual handling training and step 1 on how to move things safely was to see if you could just get someone else to do it for you.

Yep, I totally refused to do anything I thought might be a risk.

I just remembered they strongly encouraged people to do a lap around your car every time you got in it. They'd also get everyone ice scrapers. Kind of miss that place sometimes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Apparently starting today forums.aws.amazon.com redirects to https://repost.aws/, including Google results for specific threads. Years of information from the forums is just gone. Great April Fools joke Amazon. Fuckin got 'em.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Just got to do the whole "as per my previous email" thing and reply-all to someone who had CCd my boss while chasing me on something I'd already done and replied to them about last week. Don't try and gently caress me, please.

Stuff like this is why I have regular "customer x is being a shithead" emails that go out preemptively to my team. Then when the inevitable nastygram comes in, they all just roll their eyes because they know the context.

Can recommend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Erwin posted:

Apparently starting today forums.aws.amazon.com redirects to https://repost.aws/, including Google results for specific threads. Years of information from the forums is just gone. Great April Fools joke Amazon. Fuckin got 'em.

Ah man that sucks. Every once in a while there would be some nugget of information you could glean from an old forum post.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Erwin posted:

StackOverflow.com had some "great" April Fools joke that made all the text on their website everywhere unreadable. Really great. It took me a minute to calm down and notice a small banner at the bottom of the page to turn it off. I hate April Fools Day.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

To be clear, AWS killing everything from their forums wasn't an April Fool's joke, just an absolutely asinine decision enacted on April 1st.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D34THROW posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: I got reminded that we can't walk while talking on the phone

Bob, for gently caress's sake, you gotta :justpost: how that conversation went and their justification for it.

:byodood: Walking while on the phone isn't professional, the client might see you!

okay to be fair, I don't have important phone calls anywhere but in my quiet workspace, with notes ready, standing up to channel any nervous energy that might emerge

but yeah, lol wow

yesterday, one of my consultants called me while I was lifting some boxes with a new employee I'm training, you bet your rear end I answered on my watch's speakerphone, asked how his sick kid was doing, then politely answered his questions, all on watch speakerphone

context matters and I think managers sometimes don't get that

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
That sort of poo poo is exactly why I wear a set of wireless neckbuds around the house. I recognize the numbers it reads out and can answer ad im changing diapers or folding laundry or whatever.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have teams on my personal phone so I can answer calls or reply to messages while im puttering about during the day

always dnd at the end of the workday though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you maintain documentation and don't put a last updated timestamp on the articles then :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do one better, I make the git commit message "fixed stuff".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I do one better, I make the git commit message "fixedbroke stuff".

FTFY

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Fool posted:

I have teams on my personal phone so I can answer calls or reply to messages while im puttering about during the day

This is the way. I do a lot of conference calls from the dog park a mile away or while working on a home project.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

devmd01 posted:

This is the way. I do a lot of conference calls from the dog park a mile away or while working on a home project.

My customer said "if you want teams on your phone you have to give us admin access on your phone" and I said "I guess you'll have to wait until I see the notification my desktop then"

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

skooma512 posted:

Did Windows 11 finally make one settings panel, or is it still Settings and Control Panel?

Or did they make a third settings pane because that's the Microsoft way?

Oh man has Snipping Tool moved to its new home yet

I feel sad for it every time that pops up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

user: I need to do some stuff as root on this machine
me: okay here's a sudo that does this specific thing you need
user: that's too complicated, can I have root?

:fuckoff:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

I had an engineer try and give a user on our embedded project full sudo nopasswd access. For a single command. :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

xzzy posted:

I have a consultant asking for UAC to be permanently disabled because he needs to install Oracle RAC.

After a phone call, it turns out he could also accept a privilege escalation in the local terminal if he has admin perms on the box

He already has admin perms on the box

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is all in the service of migrating away from and killing an Oracle system, so honestly he could ask me to kill my firstborn child and I'll do it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

this is all in the service of migrating away from and killing an Oracle system, so honestly he could ask me to kill my firstborn child and I'll do it

You always gently caress up the first one because you don't know what you're doing anyways. It's #2 and 3 that are important.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

You always gently caress up the first one because you don't know what you're doing anyways. It's #2 and 3 that are important.

Confirmed.

I am myself #1.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I uh....you have to submit meter readings, like, manually? Every month? :psyduck:

Don't get me wrong here, US utility companies are all lovely companies and greedy vampires - I'm sure one of the ways they've managed to get even more cash out of us is by putting in smart meters so they can fire all the people who used to go around reading meters and save on salaries while still charging just as much (or even raising the prices because of "cost of putting in smart meters"). But one thing I can say about them is that they make it easy and convenient to get ripped off.
As others have said we do have smart meters, they're pushing them pretty hard, and we also have the anti smart meter cranks who beleive it's going to give you 4G brain cancer, on top of that there's a few legit reasons not to have one.

- The current gen lose all their smart features when you change utility provider, so may as well wait until the next gen are being routinely supplied and then switch
- UK homes often have the meters indoors, in silly places. I know one business who was pushed really hard to get a smart meter despite telling the utility that no loving way would it be able to get a GSM signal. They were adamant that it would work and kept ringing up and pestering, so eventually they relented and invited them to send an installation engineer, who took one look at the setup and was like "yeah, you'll never get a signal down here"... the meter was in a stone cellar!
- Verging a bit on conspiracy nutjob but smart meters do let the utility kill power to a single house (they have a big fuckoff relay inside), whereas it's a bit harder to do that with a traditional meter, so some people reckon if there's ever power rationing they may start pushing higher tarrifs that exempt you from cut offs.

quote:

edit: wait, do they verify somehow? Can you cheat on your power bill? And if not, and they verify, then why don't they use whatever verification process as the actual meter reading process to begin with?
Only in the short term. They'll eventually send someone around and if you've been lying for a year suddenly you're looking at a big bill and/or fraud charges. They probably couldn't tell if you slightly increased your read prior to this price rise, but again that would be fraud so don't do it

KillHour posted:

As someone who has worked in enterprise software for a long time, there are some janky loving install procedures out there. What kind of software was it?
Add-on for our finance software. The product is niche enough that if I named it someone could probably work out where I work.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lum posted:

- The current gen lose all their smart features when you change utility provider, so may as well wait until the next gen are being routinely supplied and then switch
Lolwut

Lum posted:

- Verging a bit on conspiracy nutjob but smart meters do let the utility kill power to a single house (they have a big fuckoff relay inside), whereas it's a bit harder to do that with a traditional meter, so some people reckon if there's ever power rationing they may start pushing higher tarrifs that exempt you from cut offs.

LOLWUT EXCUSE ME :psyduck:? The smart meters here are just a regular meter with, y'know, a modem inside. I mean here in California PG&E has no problem just shutting you off, but they don't shut off individual houses, they shut off entire neighborhoods because either the grid can't handle the demand (summer days when everyone turns on their AC), or they don't want yet another massive wildfire on their hands. And you might ask, well, gee, what if they improved their infrastructure so it wasn't causing fires all the time, instead of just shutting it off to prevent that? Indeed! What if! What a crazy concept, it'll never work don't be ridiculous that would cost money y'see and that might detract from their execs' massive bonuses.

But yeah, uh, your smart meters sound rather absurd, and that's coming from the US where we have all kinds of hosed up utility problems (aforementioned fire safety shutoffs, Texas power grid, water in Flint, <gestures broadly at the water situation in the Southwest and LA>, lead pipes still in use, and I'm sure there's much more).

Does ANY country do utilities well?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have vague recollections of my parents sending me to the basement to write down the water meter values, but it's not something I've had to do in like 3 decades.

It's not like you even have to have a wiz bang full on smart meter for this stuff. I have what looks like a run of the mill meter in my basement for my water and it has a long antenna on it that leads outside. The water utility has towers that poll the meter reading remotely. No super advanced electronics or anything. It has like a 25 year battery in it and it's been untouched for the 14 years I've lived in my house so far.

AMR and AMI systems are pretty common in the US for utilities and most of them are pretty simple systems that send back a reading once a day when polled over RF.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Former employee of a big six energy firm in the UK here - AMR was a thing here for ages but it was pretty much exclusively for businesses. It was only when the meters were declared "smart" that it became a domestic thing and there's a requirement for the government for energy firms to push smart meters to as many users as possible to try and sort out some of the crappy "settlement" activity (i.e. How much each energy provider bills versus how much supply it's bought from the generating companies and pulled across the grid). As Lum said, the first gen meters basically stop being smart when you change provider because the SMETS1 standard introduced in 2013 was garbage (lol we stuck a 3g sim card in a meter), but suppliers still have loads of those meters in stock and they WILL bolt one to your house. SMETS2 is more compatible but scarcer, so some people that got a smart meter even as recently as a couple of years ago will need an upgrade if they change supplier. Which the supplier has no incentive to provide because they're focused on getting people off classic meters and onto smart ones, not off bad smart ones and onto good ones.

In summary, the UK energy industry is a stupid mess.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

FTFY :sun:

(the Norwegian smart meters report hourly data and are pretty painless to deal with, in comparison)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Upgrading / replacing all the desktops means I'll have dozens and dozens of 500 gb SATA ssd's that will just get thrown away. Is it worth building out a big ol raid? And if so, raid 5 or 6+0?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd probably toss them because 500gb is basically nothing but if you really wanna play around with them and got a chassis you can plug 50 drives into, might as well fire up zfs on them and have some fun learning how to administer the file system.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lum posted:

The product is niche enough

Found your problem. If software is 'niche enough' it literally doesn't matter how good or bad it is anymore.

You're lucky the install procedures don't involve "Manually change the following entries in the SQL database that the installer sets incorrectly and we don't know how to stop that from happening."

Yes, that is a real example.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Haven't had anything that bad, but have definitely had "copy and paste this sql query" as part of the install instructions before

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

poo poo that pissed me off: Spending six months on getting the setup procedures and GPOs juuuuuust right for a project to renew the display monitors in building lobbies.

poo poo that's making be be super smug: they rolled the new displays out to the whole campus. The setup doc I wrote got two comments, both about formatting. They did 20 installations without having to bother me once. That's documentation my friends.

That's also the project the got my new group to decide that yes, mllaneza can do GPOs himself, take off the training wheels. Four months of sending screenshots of policies in gpedit.msc to someone with actual GPO admin privs paid off ! This also demonstrated that I could work patiently with a third party to get setting changes I needed actually implemented. Ultimately, all this nonsense played a big part in getting me converted to an FTE and put on salary.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 5, 2022

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Smart meter chat: they're also being pushed here in Belgium but there's an added angle. If you have solar panels, the old meter runs backwards when the solar panels are generating electricity and feeding it to the grid (basically using the net as a battery)! This advantage was even used by the government to induce the public to install solar panels on their homes (at the same time as the government incentive was being built down). Then the government started pushing smart meters and it was revealed these do not support the 'running back' mechanism. Hence why everyone with solar panels is very loathe to get a smart meter.

When the federal minister of energy was questioned on this, she said people should use the energy as it was being generated and do the cooking, ironing, washing, etc. during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

I've been on a bit of a UK media binge lately and something I've picked up on is one of the annoying advertising tropes there (like 'we're calling about your car's warranty' is, here) is getting calls about changing your gas supplier.

Are they talking about natural gas? Like, for heat and ovens? And how on earth can you change suppliers? The gas companies own the pipe to your house.

Unless you can tell me everyone is running off a private tank filled by trucks which is just :psyduck: